English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Forum support (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum-support/)
-   -   Public forums and GDPR... right to be forgotten and requesting account deletions etc (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum-support/300125-public-forums-gdpr-right-forgotten-requesting-account-deletions-etc.html)

V__ 02.09.2020 16:42

The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Earlier today one of my posts were deleted with the following reason:

"Reason: Part of being forgotten is that members who are still here shouldn't be bringing up members who are not. ;)"

Now, I had mentioned somebody who self-deleted lately, as few have done, for whatever reason.

If they have the right to self-delete, how come we have no right to mention them? We aren't mentioning their real names, a pseudo unique to EF and in most cases we have no idea who is behind those usernames.

Isn't this a bit North Korean like?

Whoever left for whatever reason, that's their business, but why other members here can't mention them in relevant threads for whatever reason?

Stalin was doing something similar, taking out his closest associates from photos after he killed them.

fatmanfilms 02.09.2020 16:44

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V__ (Post 3213326)
Earlier today one of my posts were deleted with the following reason:

"Reason: Part of being forgotten is that members who are still here shouldn't be bringing up members who are not. ;)"

Now, I had mentioned somebody who self-deleted lately, as few have done, for whatever reason.

If they have the right to self-delete, how come we have no right to mention them? We aren't mentioning their real names, a pseudo unique to EF and in most cases we have no idea who is behind those usernames.

Isn't this a bit North Korean like?

Whoever left for whatever reason, that's their business, but why other members here can't mention them in relevant threads for whatever reason?

Stalin was doing something similar, taking out his closest associates from photos after he killed them.

I received the same as you, quite bonkers if you ask me.

Sean Connery 02.09.2020 16:45

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
I agree. The right to be forgotten and GDPR extends to things the person said/posted and not something someone else posts, even their alias on some random forum.

because if that's the case then everything they posted needs to be pulled and not just the name.

#I'mEdwinNL

V__ 02.09.2020 16:46

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Connery (Post 3213331)
I agree. The right to be forgotten and GDPR extends to things the person said/posted.

because if that's the case then everything they posted needs to be pulled and not just the name.

#I'mEdwinNL

In that case they will need to pull all the nonsense regarding certain topics they had written on EF... Which can be a monumental job.

Sean Connery 02.09.2020 16:49

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V__ (Post 3213332)
In that case they will need to pull all the nonsense regarding certain topics they had written on EF... Which can be a monumental job.

not my chuffin' problem :D

I assume we will all be in trouble.

amogles 02.09.2020 17:22

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
GDPR or no, itís generally poor style to slander posters who are no longer here .

Sean Connery 02.09.2020 17:28

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3213353)
GDPR or no, itís generally poor style to slander posters who are no longer here .

could you quote the slanderous commentary? To help, here's a reasonable definition: Wikipedia reference-linkDefamation

NotAllThere 02.09.2020 19:33

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
It'd be libel anyway, as it's published. :p

olygirl 02.09.2020 21:14

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3213353)
GDPR or no, itís generally poor style to slander posters who are no longer here .

I disagree. Sometimes those posters can be hurtful so a brief discussion of relief and closure can be quite therapeutic.

st2lemans 02.09.2020 21:27

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V__ (Post 3213326)
Isn't this a bit North Korean like?

More like Kansas, Toto! :eek:

Tom

doropfiz 02.09.2020 22:32

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3213353)
GDPR or no, itís generally poor style to slander posters who are no longer here .

GDPR or no, itís generally poor style to slander posters. At all.

And some of those who have left, not by having been banned, but because they just didn't want to put up with one or the other aspect of the Forum, are sorely missed, especially by those who'd engaged with them over several years.

amogles 03.09.2020 16:54

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3213428)
GDPR or no, itís generally poor style to slander posters. At all.

Absolutely true.

But unfotunately the tone on the forum is not always in good style.

Just don't let it degrade any further.

fatmanfilms 03.09.2020 17:05

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3213428)
GDPR or no, itís generally poor style to slander posters. At all.

Slander / Libel them yes, generally discuss no. It's not as if people no longer have an opinion of Mrs Thatcher just because she is dead.

amogles 03.09.2020 17:11

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3213752)
Slander / Libel them yes, generally discuss no. It's not as if people no longer have an opinion of Mrs Thatcher just because she is dead.

As a celebrity , Mrs Thatcher has a somewhat different situation concerning her privacy . I donít think her family can exercise a right to be forgotten under GDPR any more than the heirs of Napoleon can .

MusicChick 03.09.2020 17:17

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3213752)
Slander / Libel them yes, generally discuss no. It's not as if people no longer have an opinion of Mrs Thatcher just because she is dead.

What would happen, though, if Mrs Thatcher exercises her right to be forgotten and flounces, just to come back little later incognito. Do people around her exercise her right to be forgotten and...which part?

fatmanfilms 03.09.2020 17:18

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3213755)
As a celebrity , Mrs Thatcher has a somewhat different situation concerning her privacy

Only because UK laws allow the press much freedom, try that in Switzerland :D

fatmanfilms 03.09.2020 17:23

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3213759)
What would happen, though, if Mrs Thatcher exercises her right to be forgotten and flounces, just to come back little later incognito. Do people around her exercise her right to be forgotten and...which part?

When serial flouncer returns, choosing another name, to post in the same manner on the same subjects & thinks people won't notice. What a joke.

st2lemans 03.09.2020 19:21

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3213353)
GDPR or no, itís generally poor style to slander posters who are no longer here .

Slander, yes, simply discuss them, no.

Tom

amogles 03.09.2020 21:23

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3213761)
Only because UK laws allow the press much freedom, try that in Switzerland :D

I don't think Bundesrat Ogi or KŲbi KŁhn or Roger Federer can demand that either.

Chuff 03.09.2020 21:32

Re: The right to be forgotten and no right to be mentioned? Are we in North Korea?
 
If mods are indeed now going as far as deleting mentions (that are not abusive) of ex membersthen that is indeed completely irrational and a huge waste of time and energy. Basically, it's... nuts.

Or in other words, completely in line with what you expect from some of the EF mods. :D


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:20.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0