English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Forum support (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum-support/)
-   -   Random logins and log-outs (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum-support/53906-random-logins-log-outs.html)

Nathu 21.06.2009 15:50

Random logins and log-outs
 
Users have in the past reported that they find themselves unintentionally logged out of EF when browsing the forum. So far the only available suggestion was to click the "Remember Me?" box on the login form.

There's however another reason for this phenomenon. The forum cookie only works with a specific URL and you'll find yourself logged out when you browse to addresses that start with http://englishforum.ch/... instead of http://www.englishforum.ch/... . The forum works with these addresses but the logins won't.

21.06.2009 16:45

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathu (Post 479221)
Users have in the past reported that they find themselves unintentionally logged out of EF when browsing the forum. So far the only available suggestion was to click the "Remember Me?" box on the login form.

That one got me several times in the past while using my work computer. There I would be writing a long reply to some post on EF, click on "Submit Reply" when zap..!! I'm logged out of the forum and the last 5 minutes of research that had gone into my post vanished. :(

FlowerRose 21.06.2009 18:06

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwild1 (Post 479247)
That one got me several times in the past while using my work computer. There I would be writing a long reply to some post on EF, click on "Submit Reply" when zap..!! I'm logged out of the forum and the last 5 minutes of research that had gone into my post vanished. :(

The same has happened to me (made to log in again). What i do is copy the message and then when logged in i paste it into the message box that i was replying to. If the post vanishes then click back and it should hopefully appear again so that you are able to copy and then paste after you have logged in. :)

Butters 21.06.2009 18:12

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwild1 (Post 479247)
That one got me several times in the past while using my work computer. There I would be writing a long reply to some post on EF, click on "Submit Reply" when zap..!! I'm logged out of the forum and the last 5 minutes of research that had gone into my post vanished. :(

The same thing happens to me all the time, if a spend more than a minute or two typing a reply it logs me out. :msnsad: I've got into the habit of copying long replys before clicking 'post' now...

Nathu 21.06.2009 18:20

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Can you provide more details, does this also happen when the "www." is present in the answer form address?

Longbyt 21.06.2009 18:20

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
I used to lose mine a lot too.

I couldn't always blame the Internet though. When 'searching' for Info to answer questions, I often have five or six Tabs open with various pages of various Sites and sometimes I then open a fresh one on the Tab which held my reply! Whoops :msnsad:

These days I keep Word open and paste any long replies in there until I actually send it off.

Butters 21.06.2009 18:26

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathu (Post 479297)
Can you provide more details, does this also happen when the "www." is present in the answer form address?

Hi Nathu,

Yep, I only use the www. address (it's in my favs, and I just use links within the site from there). Like Longbyt, I do use tabbed browsing constantly though. I usually have several tabs with EF open at any given time.

Hope this helps, but if you want any more info just let me know :)

Nathu 22.06.2009 02:11

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
I wonder if this problem is browser-specific? I have "Remember Me" checked and encounter no problems posting. The problem should only happen if "Remember Me" wasn't checked and the inactivity before posting was at least 15 minutes.

RetiredInNH 22.06.2009 02:14

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
I use the www. address, and have never had any problems. I always use the latest relaese of Firefox as a browser.

I use "Remember me" for all forums, seems like a no-brainer to me :D

Longbyt 22.06.2009 10:48

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredInNH (Post 479463)
I
I use "Remember me" for all forums, seems like a no-brainer to me :D

EF was my first Forum and when I saw 'Remember Me' I thought it would mean my User Name would be 'remembered' by the computer. However, I am a cautious type and prefer to put my details in each time myself, so I didn't click it. After losing half-written answers, I learned fast...

Later I occasionally had various Tabs open and opened another Site on the wrong one - but that was sheer carelessness on my part and serves me right.

Deep Purple 22.06.2009 11:19

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 479302)
Hi Nathu,

Yep, I only use the www. address (it's in my favs, and I just use links within the site from there). Like Longbyt, I do use tabbed browsing constantly though. I usually have several tabs with EF open at any given time.

Hope this helps, but if you want any more info just let me know :)

I do exactly the same and have never experienced any problems.

smackerjack 22.06.2009 20:38

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
A problem I have experienced several times only happens when I am in the UK .
After you log in with your username when the list of members online appears you are listed first not in alphabetical order. That is fine - but sometimes if you get a random log-out and get the message that you cannot post etc (as you are not a member), your username appears in the list online but in the order alphabetically - I would say for instance be under Shorrick. But although you are listed as being online - you cannot post.:confused:

Nathu 22.06.2009 21:55

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Log-outs happening after less than 15 minutes of inactivity (to which a username appearance in the alphabetical order points) could be caused by a cookie handling error on the web browser's end - if it affects you repeatedly, try a different one.

You can actually safely tick the Remember Me box on public computers if you click the log-out link before leaving.

FlowerRose 23.06.2009 00:49

Re: Random logins and log-outs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathu (Post 479462)
I wonder if this problem is browser-specific? I have "Remember Me" checked and encounter no problems posting. The problem should only happen if "Remember Me" wasn't checked and the inactivity before posting was at least 15 minutes.

Hi All

yes that is correct...... if you have 'remember me' checked there should be no problems.

The reason why i know this is because on my work laptop i don't have 'remember me' checked and so therefore it times out. On my home personal laptop i do have 'remember me' checked and it is perfectly fine and never times out. I am constantly logged in unless i close the browser or log out.

So in short you need to have 'remember me' checked if you don't want the page to time out. Simples :msngrin:


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:16.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0