Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01.01.2011, 21:05
basel therapist's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: basel
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 10 Posts
basel therapist has earned the respect of manybasel therapist has earned the respect of manybasel therapist has earned the respect of many
Re: The patterns that we live by

Quote:
View Post
Whe one realizes we are all adults, mostly , in our daily lives and existence and you take this as a mini playground aside of the helping out and info bit, it is easier to just chill..This does not represent people's business or how seriously they really live or take life, despite the fact that most people show off to some extent. There have been some decent debates here, with humor and insincere tones, but overall, it is mainly the way you look at inet comunication, with a grain of salt. I understand having job you have, lot of people do here, some part I do daily too and it is hard to laugh. But there really is a specific sense of humor here, or, not taking oneself too seriously. Whatcha think?



He is fascinating. I need to read up on him. I take him somewhat an oposing pole that very tangible Berne, he was so uncanily tangible and uber realistic, Frankl seems more of a humanist, philosopher, plus he was a catholic...Two good poles, no?

You know, one of the most influential people in my life is another Auschwitz survivor, he is a writer and I met him through writing courses we organized. There is a strange outlook on life, strange in way that we do cause a lot of the confusion in our lives ourselves. He is very noble and crass, he has his own morals and evil sense of humor. Or maybe that's just being Jewish. I have been working on translating his short story and it is so heartbreaking, I wonder if I ever finish this work. If people can get hold of Arnost Lustig, read him, it is cathartic.
How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?
Only One! But the light bulb has to really want to change!!

Better???

I'll google Arnost Lustig later! Thanks for the suggestion!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01.01.2011, 21:21
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The patterns that we live by

Quote:
View Post
How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?
Only One! But the light bulb has to really want to change!!

Better???

I'll google Arnost Lustig later! Thanks for the suggestion!
I bit better..

This Lustig is probably most well known.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01.01.2011, 21:29
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,662 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The patterns that we live by

Two psychiatrists were in the elevator when it stopped on the 4th floor, a man stepped in and said:
~ Good Evening
The elevator continued to ascend silently to the 15th floor where the gent got off. Around the 20th floor, one of the psychiatrists quietly turned to the other, pipe in hand and said:
~ What did he mean by that ?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01.01.2011, 22:17
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The patterns that we live by

"I see you were last employed by a psychiatrist," said the employer to the applicant. "Why did you leave?"

"Well," she replied, "I just couldn't win. If I was late to work, I was hostile. If I was early, I had an anxiety complex. If I was on time, I was compulsive."
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01.01.2011, 23:00
J_T's Avatar
J_T J_T is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: near Bern
Posts: 1,080
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,175 Times in 523 Posts
J_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond reputeJ_T has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The patterns that we live by

...business must be slow, and boring...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02.01.2011, 13:55
basel therapist's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: basel
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 10 Posts
basel therapist has earned the respect of manybasel therapist has earned the respect of manybasel therapist has earned the respect of many
Re: The patterns that we live by

Quote:
View Post
I bit better..

This Lustig is probably most well known.
Thanks! I've ordered the book!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02.01.2011, 14:06
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,662 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The patterns that we live by

BT, I think this discussion is perhaps void because people just want to relax, empty their minds, not feel stress and concern or analyze every emotion.
Maybe it's already tough enough dealing with daily issues than thinking of them in every detail and pulling them a part.
EF serves its purposes exactly for that.... putting one's mind on hold for 5 minutes or even an hour to turn off and laugh at something silly or debate a political thought or check a recipe or reach to gently touch a familiar soul.
Just get on with living

You believe in something ? then why comply to please ? Stand up for it with no excuses or explanations. Some will appreciate your style, others will hit the ignore button.. and you'll find a place to feel comfortable with.
__________________
.
"Il mondo θ fatto a scale, chi le scende e chi le sale"
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02.01.2011, 15:10
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The patterns that we live by

Quote:
View Post
BT, I think this discussion is perhaps void because people just want to relax, empty their minds, not feel stress and concern or analyze every emotion.
Maybe it's already tough enough dealing with daily issues than thinking of them in every detail and pulling them a part.
EF serves its purposes exactly for that.... putting one's mind on hold for 5 minutes or even an hour to turn off and laugh at something silly or debate a political thought or check a recipe or reach to gently touch a familiar soul.
Just get on with living

You believe in something ? then why comply to please ? Stand up for it with no excuses or explanations. Some will appreciate your style, others will hit the ignore button.. and you'll find a place to feel comfortable with.
Yes, exactly. I think teasing is normal here, so don't take it to heart. Lustig is really sad, I would wait for better weather, but if you want to discuss it, I am all ears. We can make a lit thread, yay. I would love to hear about good CH writers, I don't really know where to look for them.

So, where are the shrink jokes? And, we are waiting for the interesting philosophical thoughts, really! Just be aware of some...rubbing...will most probably happen too, it's harmless. You can always put people on ignore.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02.01.2011, 16:31
basel therapist's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: basel
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 10 Posts
basel therapist has earned the respect of manybasel therapist has earned the respect of manybasel therapist has earned the respect of many
Re: The patterns that we live by

Quote:
View Post
BT, I think this discussion is perhaps void because people just want to relax, empty their minds, not feel stress and concern or analyze every emotion.
Maybe it's already tough enough dealing with daily issues than thinking of them in every detail and pulling them a part.
EF serves its purposes exactly for that.... putting one's mind on hold for 5 minutes or even an hour to turn off and laugh at something silly or debate a political thought or check a recipe or reach to gently touch a familiar soul.
Just get on with living

You believe in something ? then why comply to please ? Stand up for it with no excuses or explanations. Some will appreciate your style, others will hit the ignore button.. and you'll find a place to feel comfortable with.
I think you are right. Both about the World being too serious a place at times and the need to unwind. Also about being comfortable with yourself and your own voice.

Thank-you!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02.01.2011, 16:34
basel therapist's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: basel
Posts: 22
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 10 Posts
basel therapist has earned the respect of manybasel therapist has earned the respect of manybasel therapist has earned the respect of many
Re: The patterns that we live by

Quote:
View Post
Yes, exactly. I think teasing is normal here, so don't take it to heart. Lustig is really sad, I would wait for better weather, but if you want to discuss it, I am all ears. We can make a lit thread, yay. I would love to hear about good CH writers, I don't really know where to look for them.

So, where are the shrink jokes? And, we are waiting for the interesting philosophical thoughts, really! Just be aware of some...rubbing...will most probably happen too, it's harmless. You can always put people on ignore.
Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline.
If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.
If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2.
If you have multiple personalities, please press 3, 4, 5, and 6.
If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call.
If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.
If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which number you press. No one will answer.
If you are delusional and occasionally hallucinate, please be aware that the thing you are holding on the side of your head is alive and about to bite off your ear.

I'll get back to you about Lustig once I've read it!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02.01.2011, 16:43
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The patterns that we live by

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline.
If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.
If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2.
If you have multiple personalities, please press 3, 4, 5, and 6.
If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call.
If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.
If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which number you press. No one will answer.
If you are delusional and occasionally hallucinate, please be aware that the thing you are holding on the side of your head is alive and about to bite off your ear.
Not that is an excellent post!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this enough to live on? mattb001 Employment 15 28.08.2008 11:33
Where to live? pnk0209 Housing in general 1 30.07.2008 08:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0