Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.01.2011, 10:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 483
Groaned at 47 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 357 Times in 161 Posts
Swisstobe has earned the respect of manySwisstobe has earned the respect of manySwisstobe has earned the respect of many
Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Sorry guys, I honestly have never watched American Idol in my life and dislike any sort of reality show in general. But my friend sent me a link to the story & video from Wednesday night's episode & it had me sobbing in my coffee this morning. And I'm not usually such a softy!

Please take a look, it will make you feel good about love and life:

http://www.people.com/people/article...461214,00.html

And if you are inspired as I am...you can donate to her treatment on this website:

http://www.laurusfoundation.org/help-juliana-ramos.php

Have a nice day!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.01.2011, 10:53
amitphatak's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 81
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
amitphatak has earned some respectamitphatak has earned some respect
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Loved it buddy ! Thanks for sharing.

I miss my fiance and the 1st thing i did was call her and tell her how she makes me feel !!! ... LOL ... Not something that should be shared, but life is short Lets make the most if it eh !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.01.2011, 11:13
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Wow, I mean really.... Wow! I can't find anything else to say. That guy.... wow!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28.01.2011, 11:39
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

I watched some of American Idol last night and saw this. As commendable and noble as his actions are, I can't help feeling that these tragic stories should not be disclosed until after the contestant has made it to a certain level in the competition to prevent possible sympathy voting by judges and the general public.

I have no idea if he made it to the next round or not as I did not watch his audition to the end.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28.01.2011, 11:43
miss_bean's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 525
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 464 Times in 224 Posts
miss_bean has an excellent reputationmiss_bean has an excellent reputationmiss_bean has an excellent reputationmiss_bean has an excellent reputation
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Thanks!! Simply amazing , thanks for sharing the link.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28.01.2011, 11:53
JLF JLF is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,187
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 510 Posts
JLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Quote:
View Post
I watched some of American Idol last night and saw this. As commendable and noble as his actions are, I can't help feeling that these tragic stories should not be disclosed until after the contestant has made it to a certain level in the competition to prevent possible sympathy voting by judges and the general public.

I have no idea if he made it to the next round or not as I did not watch his audition to the end.
While I totally agree with the principal of what you said, it is important to note the judges don't even come close to meeting the hoards of people who audition (they are pre-screened and pre-screened again and then only the worst and best are asked back to perform in front of the judges). Look here if you don't believe me...

Thus, the judges put someone through to Hollywood and then they find the back story and film it. Trust me, they would never (in a million years) do a back story like that and then that person not make it to Hollywood. ever. Doesn't make for good tv.

And he is, of course, going to Hollywood. I was in tears... Really good (sad love) story.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28.01.2011, 11:58
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Quote:
View Post
While I totally agree with the principal of what you said, it is important to note the judges don't even come close to meeting the hoards of people who audition (they are pre-screened and pre-screened again and then only the worst and best are asked back to perform in front of the judges). Look here if you don't believe me...

Thus, the judges put someone through to Hollywood and then they find the back story and film it. Trust me, they would never (in a million years) do a back story like that and then that person not make it to Hollywood. ever. Doesn't make for good tv.

And he is, of course, going to Hollywood. I was in tears... Really good (sad love) story.
Thanks JLF (too bad there's no button here to do so). Yes, I do believe you . . . .

Your explanation makes me feel a whole lot better about the whole process and, as such, am glad he got through purely on merit and talent alone.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28.01.2011, 13:53
JLF JLF is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,187
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 510 Posts
JLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond reputeJLF has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Quote:
View Post
Thanks JLF (too bad there's no button here to do so). Yes, I do believe you . . . .

Your explanation makes me feel a whole lot better about the whole process and, as such, am glad he got through purely on merit and talent alone.
No problem. I am sure, through the pre-screening process, the judges know the contestant's story so they can ask about it and (like last night), ask to meet the inspiration/whatever that makes for "good tv". I wouldn't say who goes to Hollywood is purely based on merit and talent because it is still reality tv, but everyone has a story to tell and Idol exploits (for lack of a better word) as many as it can for the sake of "good tv"... sad really, but it keeps us (yes, me included) coming back for more.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28.01.2011, 14:41
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Quote:
View Post
No problem. I am sure, through the pre-screening process, the judges know the contestant's story so they can ask about it and (like last night), ask to meet the inspiration/whatever that makes for "good tv". I wouldn't say who goes to Hollywood is purely based on merit and talent because it is still reality tv, but everyone has a story to tell and Idol exploits (for lack of a better word) as many as it can for the sake of "good tv"... sad really, but it keeps us (yes, me included) coming back for more.
Too true and me included on coming back for more.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29.01.2011, 14:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GoodLady has no particular reputation at present
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Ouhhhh poor girl !!! This made me cry And he is such a good person ,he is still with her after all. God bless them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23.03.2011, 12:45
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Inspired by the American Idol story, someone wrote a song based on Chris Medina's experiences. One of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a long time ("what kind of guy would I be, if I was to leave when you need me most"). I choked up. What a voice this guy has and an equally beautiful soul to match.


Last edited by summerrain; 23.03.2011 at 12:55.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23.03.2011, 13:09
Clarejane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Where my heart is
Posts: 349
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 540 Times in 185 Posts
Clarejane has a reputation beyond reputeClarejane has a reputation beyond reputeClarejane has a reputation beyond reputeClarejane has a reputation beyond reputeClarejane has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Well that has had me sobbing into my sandwich!

Wish there were more guys out there like that. As Summerain says a truly beautiful soul. I hope he goes far and is able to make life as comfortable as humanly possible.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23.03.2011, 14:15
puddycat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Luzern
Posts: 509
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 325 Times in 160 Posts
puddycat has a reputation beyond reputepuddycat has a reputation beyond reputepuddycat has a reputation beyond reputepuddycat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Quote:
View Post
Inspired by the American Idol story, someone wrote a song based on Chris Medina's experiences. One of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a long time ("what kind of guy would I be, if I was to leave when you need me most"). I choked up. What a voice this guy has and an equally beautiful soul to match.

What a beautiful soul. Goes without saying he'd write beautiful score to express it.

I'm blubbing in to my hot chockie, and I think my work mate opposite is a bit concerned
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23.03.2011, 14:31
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiring Love Story on American Idol

Quote:
View Post
Well that has had me sobbing into my sandwich!
Quote:
View Post
I'm blubbing in to my hot chockie, and I think my work mate opposite is a bit concerned
Sorry ladies...if its of any consolation, I felt as if someone's put their hand on my throat when I first heard it too.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommendations for happy / funny / inspiring films (no chick flicks please) Kittster General off-topic 47 22.12.2010 22:08
Love story to tell ? Bertrand - Geneva General off-topic 4 22.12.2009 03:14
"Capitalism: a love story" annas Other/general 71 06.12.2009 12:44
Berne inspiring & aspiring DJs - Fall In!!! Guest General off-topic 3 30.07.2008 17:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0