Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.03.2011, 10:47
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Sick days aren't what they used to be.

So, here I am with my foot swollen up to twice its original size (ok, an exaggeration), and can barely stand. That means a sick day, for obvious reasons. Well you might think, relax in front of the TV with a nice cup of tea, a bag of munchies, and just generally chill the day away while recovering.

Not these days. Thanks to technology I'm sitting in front of my computer at home which is remotely logged in to my computer at work, prepping diagnostic volumes, dealing with outstanding issues, printing out important rubbish while getting my colleagues to do silly little things like "pick that up from the printer", "plug that in", "run that this and whatever" etc, which I'd normally do myself. It's harder work than actually being at work.

Add to that my efficiency is being somewhat hampered by the consumption of particularly strong pain killers. Not that the feeling is unpleasant, quite the opposite in fact, but it is irritating that I'm having to think twice about everything I do and say.

Rant over.
__________________
...allegedly.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.03.2011, 10:50
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,623
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,925 Times in 5,542 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

It could be worse.

You could have been woken up at 5.00 this morning by the local Guugemusik band.

Get well soon!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03.03.2011, 10:51
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

So it's not a sick day, it's a work-from-home day. I assume the company still pays you (and not the insurance company) when that happens?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.03.2011, 10:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

Sick day for me too, bad reaction to something, not going to go into details, I am half by the pc half...you dont wanna know
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.03.2011, 11:00
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

You realise that if you're signed off sick, you don't have to log in at work, don't you? Are you really that indispensable?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.03.2011, 11:15
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

Quote:
View Post
So it's not a sick day, it's a work-from-home day. I assume the company still pays you (and not the insurance company) when that happens?
The problem is that the vast majority of my job is hands on, so all I can really do from home is the admin part of my job, and the barking of instructions to the others down the phone. In that respect I'm only around 15% productive today, so it's not really a work from home day. As far as payment is concerned that's not a problem. My company pays me at full rate until the insurance kicks in

Quote:
View Post
You realise that if you're signed off sick, you don't have to log in at work, don't you? Are you really that indispensable?
I totally understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that there are still things that need to be done. Normally I'm not that indispensable, but with the manager on holiday his responsibilities fall to me. That means I need to keep on top of things regardless.
__________________
...allegedly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.03.2011, 11:25
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

Quote:
View Post
So, here I am with my foot swollen up to twice its original size (ok, an exaggeration), and can barely stand. That means a sick day, for obvious reasons. Well you might think, relax in front of the TV with a nice cup of tea, a bag of munchies, and just generally chill the day away while recovering.

Not these days. Thanks to technology I'm sitting in front of my computer at home which is remotely logged in to my computer at work, prepping diagnostic volumes, dealing with outstanding issues, printing out important rubbish while getting my colleagues to do silly little things like "pick that up from the printer", "plug that in", "run that this and whatever" etc, which I'd normally do myself. It's harder work than actually being at work.

Add to that my efficiency is being somewhat hampered by the consumption of particularly strong pain killers. Not that the feeling is unpleasant, quite the opposite in fact, but it is irritating that I'm having to think twice about everything I do and say.

Rant over.
Quote:
View Post
It could be worse.

You could have been woken up at 5.00 this morning by the local Guugemusik band.

Get well soon!
It could be worse.... You could be a stay at home parent who has no sick days allowed.... And when you are sick, you still have to get out of your bed and entertain the kids, clean, wash and cook... No sick leaves...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.03.2011, 11:28
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

Quote:
View Post
It could be worse.... You could be a stay at home parent who has no sick days allowed.... And when you are sick, you still have to get out of your bed and entertain the kids, clean, wash and cook... No sick leaves...
Yeah, rocket science
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.03.2011, 11:31
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

Quote:
View Post
I totally understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that there are still things that need to be done. Normally I'm not that indispensable, but with the manager on holiday his responsibilities fall to me. That means I need to keep on top of things regardless.
This reminds me of another thread .... (something like " I think I'm becoming Swiss ...."
".... when you genuinely belief the world would come to end, if you are unable to do your job."

If you were completely incapacitated, and laid up in hospital (or just bed at home), and couldn't access/use a 'phone or computer, would the company fail/go bankrupt/stop trading/cease to exist? No .... 'cause it wouldn't.
None of us are that indispensable (even really important people) - we just believe we are.

Just pretend and put your feet (foot) up and watch some inane crap on TV, and "enjoy" the medication. I'm sure the programmes will seem better.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.03.2011, 11:54
Begga's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel [Quality not Quantity]
Posts: 2,280
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,067 Posts
Begga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

Take a brake Slappy.
I can PM you few links to threads that needs to be de-noised
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.03.2011, 12:01
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, rocket science
I bet with you that you can't do one full day! Call me when you are sick, I'll pick you up to fullfill your challenge!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.03.2011, 14:12
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,553
Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sick days aren't what they used to be.

Quote:
View Post
...the barking of instructions to the others down the phone...
Don't forget to put your dentures in before making the calls, otherwise you'll be all whistley.



Get well soon!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I don't know about you but I'm sick today... jacek International affairs/politics 7 07.02.2011 15:40
Sick PatriciaNBern General off-topic 9 07.08.2008 08:15
sick of searching -anyone help janice ward Housing in general 21 25.06.2008 13:35
Extend Visitors visa from 30 days to 35 days kfelix18 Permits/visas/government 1 08.03.2008 14:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0