Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.03.2011, 16:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,599 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
Sure but ever since one of the more radical Muslims decided to hit my bare upper arms and shout "haram, haram" at me in a tram in Zurich, I'm a bit sensitive to this sort of thing. Your world will not fall apart if things are a little different and it is one thing to make people welcome and another to change your whole way of doing things just so you don't offend them.
Quote:
View Post
Wow. But as you are about 20 cm taller than the average Arab, I hope you explained him that touching you is "haram" in a far less heavenly and more immediate sense...

seriously: What did you do?
Since I don't want to derail the travel thread further, here's a shiny new one. Let's see how long we can stay civilised on this potentially heated topic.

As to Treverus' question - I called him a "Schweinehund" (animals picked intentionally) and ratted him out to the driver. To be honest, I find all religious fanatics quite scary and am not about to pick a fight with someone who has 64 virgins waiting for him if he dies in a fight with an infidel. To put it in slightly hyperbolic terms...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.03.2011, 16:35
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
As to Treverus' question - I called him a "Schweinehund" (animals picked intentionally) and ratted him out to the driver. To be honest, I find all religious fanatics quite scary and am not about to pick a fight with someone who has 64 virgins waiting for him if he dies in a fight with an infidel. To put it in slightly hyperbolic terms...

I wouldn't die for virgins, regardless of quantity.... I mean... Not much talent There, now is there???

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03.03.2011, 16:36
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
Since I don't want to derail the travel thread further, here's a shiny new one. Let's see how long we can stay civilised on this potentially heated topic.

As to Treverus' question - I called him a "Schweinehund" (animals picked intentionally) and ratted him out to the driver. To be honest, I find all religious fanatics quite scary and am not about to pick a fight with someone who has 64 virgins waiting for him if he dies in a fight with an infidel. To put it in slightly hyperbolic terms...
You know there s loonies everywhere, and quite often on public transport: you did the right thing not to react.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.03.2011, 16:41
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
You know there s loonies everywhere, and quite often on public transport: you did the right thing not to react.

Well you see, In Mexico it probably wouldn't be their arms they would be pinching/smacking...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.03.2011, 16:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
Since I don't want to derail the travel thread further, here's a shiny new one. Let's see how long we can stay civilised on this potentially heated topic.

As to Treverus' question - I called him a "Schweinehund" (animals picked intentionally) and ratted him out to the driver. To be honest, I find all religious fanatics quite scary and am not about to pick a fight with someone who has 64 virgins waiting for him if he dies in a fight with an infidel. To put it in slightly hyperbolic terms...

The problem is that he was just incidentally muslim. He could very well have been from any other culture. Try a japanese train during the peak of rush hour. But to equate that as typically muslim behavior is dangerous and unfair to those who have the decency not do do such things.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.03.2011, 16:56
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
The problem is that he was just incidentally muslim. He could very well have been from any other culture. Try a japanese train during the peak of rush hour. But to equate that as typically muslim behavior is dangerous and unfair to those who have the decency not do do such things.
Wasn't the guy shouting something in arabic at her? (It escapes me as the other post was deleted). Although she wouldn't be able to generalize, she can well conclude that it is, culturally, Muslim/islam related.

Same with mexicans and the metro.. you can't day we are all... no wait, yes you can.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,599 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

There are other such incidents, like when I was in the A&E with someone and a muslim gentleman was refusing to have a nurse or a female doctor treat him because he considered them useless. I just don't understand how you can go to another country and expect them to act like you wish.

I guess the problem is inherent in any religious belief that asks its followers to act as missionaries and classes those of other belief as borderline subhuman.

And I know perfectly well that there are highly educated and open-minded muslims abound, I have the privilege of knowing several of them. If you don't force me to do something, I will adapt my ways out of courtesy, no problem. However, these people are getting pressured by more fundamentalist members to become more extreme in their practices and not the other way round.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:08
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,513
Groaned at 99 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,274 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

you've clearly got a thing about muslim men. have you been on the london underground on a friday or saturday night? can be quite nasty for a woman. have you been on japanese or russian public transport? there are plenty of weirdos on most public transport
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:09
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Back home we don't call them muslims, just plain misogyne.

They grow up like this as part of their culture. It has nothing to do with Islam.

Because in my Islam, woman are not different than man. In the Islam of many people I know, women are not different than men.

It is not the religion who makes the man, it is the man who makes the religion.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
There are other such incidents, like when I was in the A&E with someone and a muslim gentleman was refusing to have a nurse or a female doctor treat him because he considered them useless. I just don't understand how you can go to another country and expect them to act like you wish.
That is HIS problem and his prerogative. He can choose to deal with that anyway he wants. Just as the moment it imposes on your decisions, you can choose to deal with it the way you want.

The same cultural situations exists in Switzerland, you know? I was picking up a passenger and briefly parked my care between two spaces. For reasons unbeknownst to me, an elder Swiss felt he needed to come to instruct me to use only one space. There were hundreds of free spaces around, and he didn't even need it. Why is it that people have to get their noses in other people's business?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,599 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

I have a thing for not being able to just ignore people who act abnormally AND I seem to fit the beauty ideal for certain regions of the world that sadly have very different views on what women should be like or what they want.

And no, I haven't been on the underground much but doesn't that prove what I'm saying? Isn't it wrong that a woman in the western world refuses to use public transport at certain times because people from another culture have decided to impose their norms on another place?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:13
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
Why is it that people have to get their noses in other people's business?
Because they can....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
I just don't understand how you can go to another country and expect them to act like you wish.
Why not? We got away with it for centuries!

Rule Britannia!

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,599 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Phos, you were not following the cultural norm here, which is that you don't park just any way you like. Now if you'd done the same thing in the US, well, your first challenge would have been to FIND two parking spaces to take because everyone seems to double park. But then they have ginormous parking spaces, unlike this small place.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:15
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
Isn't it wrong that a woman in the western world refuses to use public transport at certain times because people from another culture have decided to impose their norms on another place?
It is called multiculturalism. This is why we can eat japanese, libanese, ethipian cuisine. We get the good and the bad....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,599 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
Why not? We got away with it for centuries!

Rule Britannia!

I was going to say something about that but decided that's a massive can of worms. So many more people would be wandering around wearing interesting bits of cloth rather than boring western uniform if it hadn't been for colonial missionaries.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
Phos, you were not following the cultural norm here, which is that you don't park just any way you like. Now if you'd done the same thing in the US, well, your first challenge would have been to FIND two parking spaces to take because everyone seems to double park. But then they have ginormous parking spaces, unlike this small place.
I was sitting in the car, the engine was running, and my passenger was nearly there.

I just don't agree with people imposing their culture on other people who are not of their culture, especially in this day and age.

Anyway, when are we going nude hiking?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:21
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,513
Groaned at 99 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,274 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

of course you're right: you should be allowed to travel unmolested and in safety on public transport. its just that you can't seem to contain your underlying bigotry which seems to have overspilled from the other thread.

Last edited by MidfieldGeneral; 03.03.2011 at 19:58.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,599 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

^Please explain? How am I a bigot?

Phos - ok, I didn't get that, you were just dropping someone off, that's different. I guess he wanted to do a preventive strike. Me, I'll think that sort of stuff but I will never confront people about it. Unless it's really bad like shaking a crying baby.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03.03.2011, 17:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: When in Rome, don't do as the Libyans do [when cultures clash]

Quote:
View Post
^Please explain? How am I a bigot?

Phos - ok, I didn't get that, you were just dropping someone off, that's different. I guess he wanted to do a preventive strike. Me, I'll think that sort of stuff but I will never confront people about it. Unless it's really bad like shaking a crying baby.

Actually, I politely, subliminally and unoffensively told him to F-off; which he happily did.

By the way, I don't really think you're a racist bigot. A little touchy, thin skinned, or petulant maybe. But I do respect your right to be frank in speaking your mind.

I say a topless demonstration would make for a great protest action, don't you think? I can organize some coverage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
culture clash, integration fail, religion




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
differences between English and Swiss working cultures? OtherOne General off-topic 10 09.08.2010 15:42
Split between 2 cultures Moorsholm Daily life 33 20.06.2010 18:50
Which "barbaric" customs from other cultures do you find surprisingly OK? Russkov International affairs/politics 245 29.03.2009 12:56
About culture and cultures? boccalino Forum support 7 19.03.2008 10:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0