Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:25
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,621
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,925 Times in 5,542 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
I don't.

I drive a cheap car, cos I can't afford an expensive car, cos the boat eats all my money
Boat? Did you say boat? Now you're talking!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:34
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
Someone once told me owning a boat was like running around in the shower tearing up £20 pound notes... You just get wet and poorer.
They say there are only two good days when you own a boat. The day you buy it and the day you sell it
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:36
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,753
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,644 Times in 7,830 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
Why do men buy expensive cars?
Why do women buy expensive bags?

I think there's a common bond somewhere in the answer.
yes. they are both stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
Someone once told me owning a boat was like running around in the shower tearing up £100 pound notes...
Fixed that for you
.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:38
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Because we can??

Because, as boys (and adults), we dreamed of owning them?

Because we admire the engineering?

Because we enjoy the sound they make?

Because we enjoy the way they drive?

Because they make us feel good?

Because with the roof down, the engine howling towards its 7600rpm rev limit - and the road winding its way up the mountain - I feel like a little boy again - who spent an hour or more cycling to the top of the biggest hill in town - to turnround again - and cycle down as fast as he could.

It is the adrenaline hit. It is the thrill of speed. It is the same reason why I strap a blank of wood (and composites) to my feet and throw myself down a mountain in winter.

I reckon it is cheaper than a class A drug addiction, and most probably cheaper than sleeping around and getting a divorce

Money is earned, some is saved, some is used for "basic living" and I'm of the opinion the rest should be spent having a bloody good time. You can't take it with you - and I want to enjoy my life. And driving an expensive car - properly - brings joy to my life.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:42
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,495
Groaned at 579 Times in 454 Posts
Thanked 24,688 Times in 9,940 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post

Because with the roof down, the engine howling towards its 7600rpm rev limit - and the road winding its way up the mountain - I feel like a little boy again - who spent an hour or more cycling to the top of the biggest hill in town - to turnround again - and cycle down as fast as he could.
You can still do that. Here's the thread
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:43
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Not just boys, all that can be applicable to girls too.


Quote:
View Post
Because we can??

Because, as boys (and adults), we dreamed of owning them?

Because we admire the engineering?

Because we enjoy the sound they make?

Because we enjoy the way they drive?

Because they make us feel good?

Because with the roof down, the engine howling towards its 7600rpm rev limit - and the road winding its way up the mountain - I feel like a little boy again - who spent an hour or more cycling to the top of the biggest hill in town - to turnround again - and cycle down as fast as he could.

It is the adrenaline hit. It is the thrill of speed. It is the same reason why I strap a blank of wood (and composites) to my feet and throw myself down a mountain in winter.

I reckon it is cheaper than a class A drug addiction, and most probably cheaper than sleeping around and getting a divorce

Money is earned, some is saved, some is used for "basic living" and I'm of the opinion the rest should be spent having a bloody good time. You can't take it with you - and I want to enjoy my life. And driving an expensive car - properly - brings joy to my life.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

For some reason this thread reminds me of my cousin who was obliged to sell his aeroplane in order to buy a house in the south of France.

I can't see the attraction of fancy cars, myself, but I'd be the first to buy a renovated stone house on the slopes of Mt Dirfis if I could afford it. And I'd put pictures of it on the EF just to make you all sick.

Nothing wrong with enjoying your money if you've got it.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:54
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,264
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,273 Times in 2,563 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
well, another stupid thread from me then.

will keep my philosophical questions for me or for a more adequate forum, if it exists......
With getting on for 50 posts this morning, it would seem that some people don't find it stupid.

As most people have said, there are expensive items that most of us would like: Car, Motorbike, House, Boat, Fashion items, Sports, Wife .
It is just a matter of preferences.

If you are really fortunate you may be able to combine some of these.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08.03.2011, 13:57
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,888
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,702 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
I don't.

I drive a cheap car, cos I can't afford an expensive car, cos the boat eats all my money

So it was you!!

Now could you please get that thing out of my swimming pool?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08.03.2011, 15:28
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. Maybe it will go on a KFC hunt one day.
Hurry up, otherwise, you'll have to drive a 10 hours trip to give me a ride!


Quote:
View Post
Ah kevlegs, if that's the only sign of a midlife crisis you have, I'll forgive you, even if you are a balding, beer belly, hot sunglasses,
sweat-dropping-off-your-brow Porsche driver.

I find men who are kind, witty and can laugh about themselves much sexier than any hot Porsche.
I don't care if the guy needs a car to fulfill is midlife crisis. Get the freaking car!

But If his midlife crisis is to go around and get into every twinkies he can, I have a problem with that.

Get the car, keep your little Johnny in your pants and respect your wife.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08.03.2011, 15:38
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post

But If his midlife crisis is to go around and get into every twinkies he can, I have a problem with that.

Get the car, keep your little Johnny in your pants and respect your wife.
Hm, I honestly think having a fancy car does not have to have anything to do with showing disrespect to one's wife. Just like having a very expensive hand bag has nothing to do with cheating on your hubby, ykwim... I get your point, though, seems to be linked with ego, we just happen to manifest it differently, all of us.

I am not sure if I'd boast with a car, maybe with my dream red or yellow CRV, or rather, with some decent stereo system in it ..

Chicks boast with buggies, guys with cars, I guess it does not matter after all.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08.03.2011, 19:52
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
Hm, I honestly think having a fancy car does not have to have anything to do with showing disrespect to one's wife. Just like having a very expensive hand bag has nothing to do with cheating on your hubby, ykwim... I get your point, though, seems to be linked with ego, we just happen to manifest it differently, all of us.

I am not sure if I'd boast with a car, maybe with my dream red or yellow CRV, or rather, with some decent stereo system in it ..

Chicks boast with buggies, guys with cars, I guess it does not matter after all.
The car and the cheating little johnny wasn't related. I have no problem if my husband's midlife crisis would be a car. I prefer that millions times than someone's midlife crisis who consist to run after twinkies.... car or no car.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08.03.2011, 20:05
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
The car and the cheating little johnny wasn't related. I have no problem if my husband's midlife crisis would be a car. I prefer that millions times than someone's midlife crisis who consist to run after twinkies.... car or no car.
And that my friends is why the smart husbands have nice cars !
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08.03.2011, 20:07
Janite's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: zug
Posts: 120
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 200 Times in 63 Posts
Janite has an excellent reputationJanite has an excellent reputationJanite has an excellent reputationJanite has an excellent reputation
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

I wouldn't buy an expensive new car BUT if I'd have the money I'd love to restore one , maybe an MG 1947, red of course...
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09.03.2011, 03:39
Joey82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Belgium, formerly Frick AG
Posts: 1,703
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,414 Times in 795 Posts
Joey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond reputeJoey82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
I don't.

I drive a cheap car, cos I can't afford an expensive car, cos the boat eats all my money
Yeah..boats do that to your wallet allright.. cost of Berthing, lifts,cleaning,service, maintaince and fuel are usualy forgotten about when you buy a boat..untill the bill hits you at the end of the year, expensive buggers they are but oh so nice.

Back in Ireland, the boat beside mine was owned by a guy that had to work day and night to enjoy his beloved boat, but at the end of the month he couldn't pay for fuel to go out in it, or have a decent meal on his plate..

Anyway on topic

I understand Bertrand's question, but want some clarification if possible..

I’ve seen a few people talking about their car's, big Merc's Porsche and what not and i don't mind.

Happy for you if you have one, equally happy for you when you drive a banger.

But the question I have to all people who drive such expensive cars :

Would you have been able to buy lets say a Porsche back home where you came from?

With other words, would your old job in UK/Usa/etc allow you to rent a house at 4 K a month and drive a 70 K sports car all from the same salary?
Or did that only change when you moved to Switzerland..

The lines are open for discussion..
__________________
Buying or selling a boat worldwide ? check out here
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09.03.2011, 10:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
Would you have been able to buy lets say a Porsche back home where you came from?

With other words, would your old job in UK/Usa/etc allow you to rent a house at 4 K a month and drive a 70 K sports car all from the same salary?
Or did that only change when you moved to Switzerland..

The lines are open for discussion..
I must say I don't have a 4k flat/house and a 70k sportscar, but in general...

On UK wages outside London, it's impossible. The housing point is irrelevant as it's directly linked to the country you wages are in. I.e you spend 1/4 on a flat here or a 1/4 on a house/flat in the UK

However a car is pretty much the same value throughout Europe, with obvious small variances between countries. I notice that cars are generally more expensive in CH than the UK.

For me it changed in NL, not CH and that's with their crazy tax loadings.

Interesting hypothesis, theoretically yes you would be able too back home as things are cheaper, but it seems you have less money slushing around in the UK. The money in your pocket goes further but you have less of it to burn on stuff, if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09.03.2011, 10:37
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,727
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,936 Times in 3,651 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do you buy such expensive cars ?

Quote:
View Post
Or did that only change when you moved to Switzerland..

The lines are open for discussion..
I could afford to own a car when I lived in UK.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
expensive cars




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switzerland is expensive... So what... bnallama Complaints corner 83 27.10.2010 09:10
Where to buy second hand cars? eno Other/general 4 04.11.2009 15:25
Strange group of people camping with expensive cars Etienne Botes Daily life 169 07.07.2009 19:44
Where can I buy expensive office chairs? jamaicanRUM Other/general 34 27.06.2008 17:06
Skiing to be more expensive Blonaybear Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 23 03.08.2007 12:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0