Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 13.03.2011, 09:55
goodhill's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ZH
Posts: 192
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 67 Times in 41 Posts
goodhill has earned some respectgoodhill has earned some respect
Re: Religion matters?

Quote:
View Post
Inadequate answer.

What type of art???

'Art project' can be purely decorative/aesthetic OR at the other end of the scale it can be social/political statements and can be used for business purposes.
This is a personal project...nothing for business/money-related projects. I am not affiliated with any religious/political/business groups as well..

Of course, you would be invited to see the work when it is finished...!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 13.03.2011, 13:22
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religion matters?

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 13.03.2011, 13:58
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,046
Groaned at 307 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,226 Times in 9,433 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religion matters?

“Hey, man, have you been saved?”

“Huh? Uh, oh yeah, one summer, up at camp… we were out in a boat, and it was a really nice night… I stood up in the boat, and I can’t swim–”

“No, no, no, no, no… I mean, have you been born again?”

“Uh, I don’t think so…”

“No, you know, have you been washed in the blood?”

“I hope not…”

[Raising voice, frustrated] “I’m trying to tell you the Good News!”

“Alright. What’s that?”

[Shouting] “You’re going to hell!”

[Pause.] “What’s the bad news?”
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 13.03.2011, 14:29
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,913
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,404 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religion matters?

Quote:
View Post
I am embarking on a project which heavily involves religions across the world. As I am only well-versed in some, I would appreciate any help...

Which verses/teachings are important in your religion?

If you feel it's better to send a PM, yes please...

I am really interested to hear your views...


Thanks a g'zillion!

Thanks for some input...

I grew up in a church, know the bible more or less.

I would be interested in all religions actually, more specifically in the teachings about love, reincarnation, or whatever you find essential for yourself.

An example...John 3:16, For God so love the world that....

If it is in a foreign language, I would appreciate if you could let me know where I can find the original writing.

I am ready to answer any questions you have.
I grown up in a "EVANGLISHES KINDERHEIM "I don`t remember the verse but I remember the Boot ,Straps and Belts
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 13.03.2011, 17:40
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religion matters?

Quote:
View Post
I am embarking on a project which heavily involves religions across the world. As I am only well-versed in some, I would appreciate any help...

Which verses/teachings are important in your religion?

If you feel it's better to send a PM, yes please...

I am really interested to hear your views...


Thanks a g'zillion!

Thanks for some input...

I grew up in a church, know the bible more or less.

I would be interested in all religions actually, more specifically in the teachings about love, reincarnation, or whatever you find essential for yourself.

An example...John 3:16, For God so love the world that....

If it is in a foreign language, I would appreciate if you could let me know where I can find the original writing.

I am ready to answer any questions you have.

I consider myself a non-practicing Theravada Buddhist.

My parents tried to raise me Christian but I resisted the whole way. It started when I was in first grade, and our teacher had us reciting Bible versus in sign language, and I kept repeating the sign for "my cup runneth over" because I thought it was funny. I was scolded and made to stand in the corner. In another episode, I was sent to the principle and spanked for asking the question, "why didn't the dinosaurs eat Adam and Eve?" So, you can kind of see that the whole Jesus thing just didn't work out for me. How could I feel love for Him when all I felt was the stinging of my backside?

The central tenants of Buddhism are in the Pali Cannon, which I have never read, and never will, because I get bored and fall asleep. It's the ADD -- the same disease that causes little boys to repeat signs and ask silly questions in first grade. All I know is that when I am in the presence of Buddha, I feel peace. Church bores me, all that kneeling and praying nauseates me. But when I am in a temple in India or Thailand, I know I am in the right place.

I've always believed in reincarnation, even from an early age. Christianity believes in Heaven and everlasting life. Buddhism believes in Nirvana, which must be achieved through enlightenment after a cycle of rebirth and death. Mahayana Buddhism has a sect of Pure Land Buddhism which believes in a shortcut to Nirvana, that bypasses reincarnation.

Buddhism teaches "ahimsa", which is to have respect for all living things; that all living things are interconnected and depend on and rely upon each other for survival. This is particularly evident in how western cultures and eastern cultures treat animals. It is also the basis of buddhist vegetarianism. I personally have conflicted emotions about this, because you see so much meat in asian dishes, but the strictest vegetarianism in Indian cuisine (which is Hindu). This is also a good link to a slideshow about buddhist views towards wildlife:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7090830/Bu...l-Conservation
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 13.03.2011, 18:52
goodhill's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ZH
Posts: 192
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 67 Times in 41 Posts
goodhill has earned some respectgoodhill has earned some respect
Re: Religion matters?

Quote:
View Post
I consider myself a non-practicing Theravada Buddhist.

My parents tried to raise me Christian but I resisted the whole way. It started when I was in first grade, and our teacher had us reciting Bible versus in sign language, and I kept repeating the sign for "my cup runneth over" because I thought it was funny. I was scolded and made to stand in the corner. In another episode, I was sent to the principle and spanked for asking the question, "why didn't the dinosaurs eat Adam and Eve?" So, you can kind of see that the whole Jesus thing just didn't work out for me. How could I feel love for Him when all I felt was the stinging of my backside?

The central tenants of Buddhism are in the Pali Cannon, which I have never read, and never will, because I get bored and fall asleep. It's the ADD -- the same disease that causes little boys to repeat signs and ask silly questions in first grade. All I know is that when I am in the presence of Buddha, I feel peace. Church bores me, all that kneeling and praying nauseates me. But when I am in a temple in India or Thailand, I know I am in the right place.

I've always believed in reincarnation, even from an early age. Christianity believes in Heaven and everlasting life. Buddhism believes in Nirvana, which must be achieved through enlightenment after a cycle of rebirth and death. Mahayana Buddhism has a sect of Pure Land Buddhism which believes in a shortcut to Nirvana, that bypasses reincarnation.

Buddhism teaches "ahimsa", which is to have respect for all living things; that all living things are interconnected and depend on and rely upon each other for survival. This is particularly evident in how western cultures and eastern cultures treat animals. It is also the basis of buddhist vegetarianism. I personally have conflicted emotions about this, because you see so much meat in asian dishes, but the strictest vegetarianism in Indian cuisine (which is Hindu). This is also a good link to a slideshow about buddhist views towards wildlife:
Thanks for sharing...

I moved away from the church at some point in my life too...a lot of things didn't answer my questions, even though I cherish some of the core teachings which I believe can be found in most other religions.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 13.03.2011, 20:43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religion matters?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for sharing...

I moved away from the church at some point in my life too...a lot of things didn't answer my questions, even though I cherish some of the core teachings which I believe can be found in most other religions.

The thing is, church is simply one aspect of Christianity. Church is NOT Christianity in itself. There are plenty of churches without Christ in it. Unfortunately, this is the deepest depth many people have encountered of Christianity.

Churches are filled with flawed people, many of whom are blind. We aren't called to follow other mortal human beings, Christians are called to follow a transcendent Christ. As Jesus said, "If the blind follows the blind, both of them will fall into the ditch".
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 14.03.2011, 07:40
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,046
Groaned at 307 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,226 Times in 9,433 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religion matters?

"Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself. Examples in education would be teachers who work and sacrifice to teach children, vs. union representative who work to protect any teacher including the most incompetent. The Iron Law states that in all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions."

This applies to all organised religion - Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, whatever. You have to get beyond the controllers of the religion to the source.

btw - during the time of Adam and Eve, all animals were fruitarians, so the dinosaurs didn't tuck into humans.
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 14.03.2011, 09:03
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,345
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,739 Times in 2,182 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religion matters?

Quote:
View Post

btw - during the time of Adam and Eve, all animals were fruitarians, so the dinosaurs didn't tuck into humans.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religion: The Out-Takes (Director's Cut) ... or, Yay! Another religion thread! Nil General off-topic 95 15.11.2010 21:49
Mothering Matters journal new issue on Relationships Andrea S Other/general 0 03.11.2009 20:33
Seekeing legal advice on immigration matters zourab Permits/visas/government 0 03.09.2009 11:21
Size matters? [Large Dog Question] jeverett486 Pet corner 5 02.07.2009 19:41
Music matters.. transition Employment 0 04.03.2008 09:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0