Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.04.2011, 10:56
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 220
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 276 Times in 102 Posts
chrisinzurich has earned the respect of manychrisinzurich has earned the respect of manychrisinzurich has earned the respect of many
Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

When my little girl was just a wee baby she'd put her arms around my neck and give me what felt like a little baby bear hug. It was so adorable and melted my heart.
Little did I realize at the time, that I (or atleast my hair) was turning into her own personal soothing blanket. Now, 1.5 years down the road, she still can't settle herself without grabbing, twirling, pulling, twisting my hair. When she wakes in the night and I take her in my bed, she's in her element. She digs in, rolls on my head, snuggles into my hair with hands and sometimes feet (she even woke up once in the morning with a blue toe as a strand of hair had become twisted around it).
This drives me CRAZY! I can't sleep and it feels like torture!
So before anyone tells me it's my own fault, let me say I am totally aware of that. And I have tried giving her many different things to use as a soother, but nothing works!

So, new moms-to-be, you've been warned! Don't fall into the same trap I did. The cute things babies do can cost you your sanity!
__________________
www.kokoandkalila.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.04.2011, 11:00
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Quote:
View Post
When my little girl was just a wee baby she'd put her arms around my neck and give me what felt like a little baby bear hug. It was so adorable and melted my heart.
Little did I realize at the time, that I (or atleast my hair) was turning into her own personal soothing blanket. Now, 1.5 years down the road, she still can't settle herself without grabbing, twirling, pulling, twisting my hair. When she wakes in the night and I take her in my bed, she's in her element. She digs in, rolls on my head, snuggles into my hair with hands and sometimes feet (she even woke up once in the morning with a blue toe as a strand of hair had become twisted around it).
This drives me CRAZY! I can't sleep and it feels like torture!
So before anyone tells me it's my own fault, let me say I am totally aware of that. And I have tried giving her many different things to use as a soother, but nothing works!

So, new moms-to-be, you've been warned! Don't fall into the same trap I did. The cute things babies do can cost you your sanity!
This is why I got security blankets from you? My daughter has her best friend to fall asleep with and I wanted my little boy to have it too!

Priceless.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.04.2011, 11:19
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,055
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,848 Times in 10,418 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Quote:
View Post
When my little girl was just a wee baby she'd put her arms around my neck and give me what felt like a little baby bear hug. It was so adorable and melted my heart.
Little did I realize at the time, that I (or atleast my hair) was turning into her own personal soothing blanket. Now, 1.5 years down the road, she still can't settle herself without grabbing, twirling, pulling, twisting my hair. When she wakes in the night and I take her in my bed, she's in her element. She digs in, rolls on my head, snuggles into my hair with hands and sometimes feet (she even woke up once in the morning with a blue toe as a strand of hair had become twisted around it).
That's the problem, not your hair.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.04.2011, 11:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,194
Groaned at 105 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,625 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Shave your head and make her go cold turkey!

I look after a baby, who loves to play with hair. Both her mother and I have long locks, and she's always got her hands in them. I think it's really sweet too. Not bothered about the long term consequences as I won't be around to have to deal with them.

Quote:
View Post
...... And I have tried giving her many different things to use as a soother, but nothing works!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.04.2011, 11:32
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Quote:
View Post
That's the problem, not your hair.
Sometimes it is the best way to deal with them when they are not feeling well. My daughter sleeps on her own since she is born but when she is sick, she wants to be with Mommy and Daddy. And it is even much better for us than having to go to her constantly.

She has been sick the whole week and we didn't sleep much. But we wouldn't have sleep more if she was in her bed. Last night she has been in her bed until early in the morning and she came to join us when she couldn't stop coughing.

I am happy with this way of dealing with the sickness. I am just wondering what we will do when the boy will join us too.... Our kingsize bed seems already too small for the 3 of us.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.04.2011, 11:37
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 220
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 276 Times in 102 Posts
chrisinzurich has earned the respect of manychrisinzurich has earned the respect of manychrisinzurich has earned the respect of many
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Quote:
View Post
That's the problem, not your hair.
Yup, I know that's atleast part of it. I'm just too tired to try to settle her and put her back in her own bed. And I'm too soft-hearted to let her cry!
I know from experience that eventually this'll stop. Or maybe one day I really won't be able to take it anymore and will find it in me to let her cry it out (doubtful though- I'm a huge sucker!)

Just wanted to warn new parents is all!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.04.2011, 11:43
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 220
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 276 Times in 102 Posts
chrisinzurich has earned the respect of manychrisinzurich has earned the respect of manychrisinzurich has earned the respect of many
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Quote:
View Post
Our kingsize bed seems already too small for the 3 of us.
Try putting another mattress in your room! We have two, because as they get older and have bad dreams or are just scared, the night visits increase . This way you'll always find some space to sleep, instead of on the edge of the bed, hanging on for you life for half the night!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.04.2011, 11:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Quote:
View Post
When my little girl was just a wee baby she'd put her arms around my neck and give me what felt like a little baby bear hug. It was so adorable and melted my heart.
Little did I realize at the time, that I (or atleast my hair) was turning into her own personal soothing blanket. Now, 1.5 years down the road, she still can't settle herself without grabbing, twirling, pulling, twisting my hair. When she wakes in the night and I take her in my bed, she's in her element. She digs in, rolls on my head, snuggles into my hair with hands and sometimes feet (she even woke up once in the morning with a blue toe as a strand of hair had become twisted around it).
This drives me CRAZY! I can't sleep and it feels like torture!
So before anyone tells me it's my own fault, let me say I am totally aware of that. And I have tried giving her many different things to use as a soother, but nothing works!

So, new moms-to-be, you've been warned! Don't fall into the same trap I did. The cute things babies do can cost you your sanity!
My little boy has recently started this at almost 5 years old (AGGHHH!). The only solution was for me to tie up my hair and/or plait it. He protests but it will have to fall on deaf ears. His favourite thing is to rub strands of my hair on his top lip under his nose and in times of snotty colds this is not the kind of beauty treatment I would like for my flowing locks...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.04.2011, 12:47
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Romandie
Posts: 2,551
Groaned at 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,827 Posts
Mud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Don't feel bad about sleeping with your child. Quite a lot of research has been done on the subject and the results are generally very much in favor of the practice .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.04.2011, 13:00
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,756
Groaned at 419 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 18,265 Times in 5,656 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

My son did this to me until he was 9-10 years old. I personally enjoyed it unless we were ready to go out and I had done up my hair. It felt like a massage and it was a sign of love and security.

I can understand your frustration but your child will need your hair less and less. Enjoy the moments because they go so quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.04.2011, 09:13
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Friendly warning to new moms: watch out for those annoying little baby habits!

Quote:
View Post
Yup, I know that's atleast part of it. I'm just too tired to try to settle her and put her back in her own bed. And I'm too soft-hearted to let her cry!
I know from experience that eventually this'll stop. Or maybe one day I really won't be able to take it anymore and will find it in me to let her cry it out (doubtful though- I'm a huge sucker!)

Just wanted to warn new parents is all!
Most kids have this and honestly, they grow out of it, don't stress. My baby (4yr, ha) is attached to my belly button, wants to play with it all the time. It drives me nuts at time, but I laugh. In my experience every child will claim a bit of their mom's body as theirs. They want to. Makes them happy.

Why would you feel like a sucker for not letting your child cry it out? The most natural thing to do, I wouldn't be able to, none of my friend and family. Kids are little, sure they like to occupy your bed. It's such a short time in their life, though, they will soon be out of this habit and then soon after, they are teens leaving home and you will miss all the affection. Just enjoy it now.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
babies, habits, soothers




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baby Friendly Things to do around Geneva/Lausanne??? Spatzl Travel/day trips/free time 2 23.01.2012 16:55
Baby friendly restaurants in Basel? Diana75 Entertainment & dining 1 07.11.2010 22:07
Moms & Baby/Toddler Meet Up, TEZET Oerlikon leylak Social events 5 26.01.2010 20:26
Baby friendly holiday in Austria? jammidge Travel/day trips/free time 5 26.01.2009 22:58
Zurich Moms/Dads/Baby Meet: All About Kids Fair pixie4bears Social events 2 24.09.2008 12:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0