Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.05.2011, 10:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Ekaterina has no particular reputation at present
Vacation ideas: Croatia?

We didn't have real holidays for the last two years and do not want to miss it this year! So we have to hurry I guess...

Me, my husband and our 1.5 year old daughter wanted to stay for two weeks (last week of July + first week of August) in a family friendly place on the sea side with easy accessible other activities like easy hike, sightseeing etc. We have never been to Kroatia and I've heard it is a very nice place to go.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for this region: hotel, town, good travel agency to ask for support/planning? Is it a good place to stay at the desired year time? Are there maybe other recommended places (countries) with mild climate, not too expensive, not to far, family friendly..? Would you recommend hotel or flat (having in mind we will be with a baby)?

I'd really appreciate any feedback!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.05.2011, 13:51
ljm ljm is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 754
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 375 Times in 220 Posts
ljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputation
Re: Vacation ideas: Kroatia?

Quote:
View Post
We didn't have real holidays for the last two years and do not want to miss it this year! So we have to hurry I guess...

Me, my husband and our 1.5 year old daughter wanted to stay for two weeks (last week of July + first week of August) in a family friendly place on the sea side with easy accessible other activities like easy hike, sightseeing etc. We have never been to Kroatia and I've heard it is a very nice place to go.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for this region: hotel, town, good travel agency to ask for support/planning? Is it a good place to stay at the desired year time? Are there maybe other recommended places (countries) with mild climate, not too expensive, not to far, family friendly..? Would you recommend hotel or flat (having in mind we will be with a baby)?

I'd really appreciate any feedback!
Croatia can be a great place for a holiday but the coast is so long and there are so many options that it is difficult to recommend anything without knowing what you like. Some things to consider, though:

1. Although the entire coast has lovely places, islands are most highly recommended in guide books because the water there is crystal-clear and, with some exceptions, they are less crowded. But then getting on a ferry in July and August means a lot of waiting time and getting up early to line up in sweltering heat is not everyone's idea of a holiday. Islands are also usually far more expensive than the mainland. If you decide to give it a go, some of the most popular islands are Hvar, Brac and Korcula.

2. There is almost no sand beaches in Croatia, which puts many people off. In Istria, which is in the north, access to the sea in most places is not easy, especially if you have small children, which is why families there often opt for hotels with swimming pools. Nights are much cooler there than further south, in Dalmatia. It also rains more and the sea is always at least 1-2 degree colder, which can be really nice. Inland Istria is quite fabulous -- reminiscent of Tuscany but still quite special on its own.

3. Most private accommodation is quite basic. Most hotels date from the communist times and are not great. Customer service in hotels and restaurants is not always that great either. On a positive note, the coast is breath-takingly beautiful and the smell of the sea, olive trees, lavender and other mediterranean plants is incredible. You can also eat some of the sweetest fresh figs and tomatoes there. Small coastal towns can be real gems and bigger ones, Split, Zadar, Sibenik (and of course Dubrovnik) are well worth a visit, albeit July/August is probably not the best time for that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.05.2011, 14:21
Motorschweitz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bassersdorf
Posts: 424
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 784 Times in 279 Posts
Motorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vacation ideas: Kroatia?

I've never been to Croatia, but I just recently read about the Plitvice Lakes National Park as a hidden gem. The pics I've seen of it look absolutely gorgeous:



Based on these pics, this place would be a must see if I visited Croatia.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.05.2011, 14:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacation ideas: Kroatia?

Quote:
View Post
Croatia can be a great place for a holiday but the coast is so long ...
Great advice. If you're daunted by all the choice afforded by that long coastline, though, in the same region you could try Slovenia (46.6 km of coastline) or Bosnia and Herzegovina (20 km).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.05.2011, 13:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Ekaterina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Vacation ideas: Kroatia?

Thank you all for the advice!
Why July/August is not the best time for a city visit? Too hot? Crowd?

In the mean time I went to agency which specialises in Kroatia and got two offers. Including living cost for studio for two weeks and the direct return flight: hotels style 2800CHF http://www.croaticum.ch/themen_detail.asp?I=360&NAME=Ferienanlage+Zaton+Fa milienparadies+am+Sandstrand+Kroatien%2C+Badeferie n
and privat app for 1800CHF http://www.croaticum.ch/themen_detai...ungen+Nadalina

The first place:
+ sand beach
+ closer to water
+ app looks nicer
+ possibility of HB
- price
- probably overcrowded due to sand beach

The second place:
+ price
+ maybe less crowdy
- food will have to be organised ourselfes
- a bit further from the beach but still close
- no sand as I understand

Does any one know these places? Isn't the first place overpriced? Since I didn't have a real vacation for the last two-three years I'm lost in the price estimation
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.05.2011, 16:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vacation ideas: Kroatia?

Ekaterina,
Does your holiday have to be in July? If you have a child below school age, could you go outside the school holiday and midsummer temperature period? I have been along the Croatian coastline in April and loved it - it was a little too chilly for me to swim ( though others were) but I still sunbathed and ate icecream. If I had a choice, I would travel there in either May/June, or in September after the crowds have gone and when it would still be comfortable to be on the beaches with a Little One. Also, prices will be more likely to have dropped to offpeak rates.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.05.2011, 16:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 52
Groaned at 14 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Chateau.X is considered a nuisanceChateau.X is considered a nuisanceChateau.X is considered a nuisance
Re: Vacation ideas: Kroatia?

Quote:
View Post
i've never been to croatia, but i just recently read about the plitvice lakes national park as a hidden gem. The pics i've seen of it look absolutely gorgeous:



based on these pics, this place would be a must see if i visited croatia.
if it was me i'd visit croatia only for these paradise-in-earth spots!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.05.2011, 16:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 88
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Ekaterina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Vacation ideas: Kroatia?

Quote:
View Post
Ekaterina,
Does your holiday have to be in July? If you have a child below school age, could you go outside the school holiday and midsummer temperature period? I have been along the Croatian coastline in April and loved it - it was a little too chilly for me to swim ( though others were) but I still sunbathed and ate icecream. If I had a choice, I would travel there in either May/June, or in September after the crowds have gone and when it would still be comfortable to be on the beaches with a Little One. Also, prices will be more likely to have dropped to offpeak rates.
Unfortunately, my choice is limited to krippe holidays... Otherwise I'd never select hot season.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14.07.2011, 10:02
JAPP's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Luzern
Posts: 146
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 71 Times in 27 Posts
JAPP has no particular reputation at present
Re: Vacation ideas: Croatia?

Unfortunately I don't have any tips for you (yet), but we are also looking into driving through the coastal regions of Croatia, as well as the Plitvice lakes, so instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd post here.

Can anyone recommend particular B&B's or the likes anywhere along the coast?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14.07.2011, 11:22
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 176
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 56 Posts
MrMert is considered knowledgeableMrMert is considered knowledgeableMrMert is considered knowledgeable
Re: Vacation ideas: Kroatia?

This is very expensive
You can go easyjet to split and then get a shuttle.
I suggest you go to OMIS if you do not want islands. You can take a day trip from omis. They offer from omis, day trips for hiking, and rafting.

If you go furthur south you will find the water is warmer and snorkeling is wonderful.

It is late to organize but it is likely possible for you to rent a studio or 1 bedroom apartmani. Go online put in apartmani for omis. there are many options. If you can not find type in Baska voda or Brela.
You will find beautiful beaches, good restaurants.

You can type in and put in your request.
http://visitcroatia.proboards.com/in...?board=general

Quote:
View Post
Thank you all for the advice!
Why July/August is not the best time for a city visit? Too hot? Crowd?

In the mean time I went to agency which specialises in Kroatia and got two offers. Including living cost for studio for two weeks and the direct return flight: hotels style 2800CHF http://www.croaticum.ch/themen_detail.asp?I=360&NAME=Ferienanlage+Zaton+Fa milienparadies+am+Sandstrand+Kroatien%2C+Badeferie n
and privat app for 1800CHF http://www.croaticum.ch/themen_detai...ungen+Nadalina

The first place:
+ sand beach
+ closer to water
+ app looks nicer
+ possibility of HB
- price
- probably overcrowded due to sand beach

The second place:
+ price
+ maybe less crowdy
- food will have to be organised ourselfes
- a bit further from the beach but still close
- no sand as I understand

Does any one know these places? Isn't the first place overpriced? Since I didn't have a real vacation for the last two-three years I'm lost in the price estimation
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14.07.2011, 11:25
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 176
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 56 Posts
MrMert is considered knowledgeableMrMert is considered knowledgeableMrMert is considered knowledgeable
Re: Vacation ideas: Croatia?

on visit croatia will be people who can help but you can also call the travel office in each town. They will know who has availability as all people are required to register all guests and they will know who is empty.

I just looked at offering for Vodice and zadar. I do not recommend for what you want. You need to go a little furthur south.
Those are not nice places. They are ok only.

For driving on coast - you can find places each day if you want. You will see people with signs all over advertising. You also can ask each day at travel office.\
The plitvice lakes is not to be missed.

Last edited by MrMert; 14.07.2011 at 11:33. Reason: comment on vodice and zadar.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kroatia, sea side, travel advice




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Croatia tips, anyone? JMSTASIK General off-topic 6 05.07.2010 21:58
Geneva to Croatia? jimbo Travel/day trips/free time 10 09.12.2009 23:15
Hvar Croatia Celtictwist General off-topic 10 19.07.2009 20:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0