Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 28.06.2011, 19:04
john h's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: zollikerberg
Posts: 50
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 18 Posts
john h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
wrong - when i'm going to start subsidising their healthcare by higher insurance premiums then it is my business.
Quote:
View Post
no one is saying obesity is just hormonal or genetics.

I don't agree with you on how you judge people, call them names and insult them on an internet forum and god knows what in ''real'' life.

So no, honey, we don't connect here.
you go nil. I like your style
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 28.06.2011, 19:12
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
Then, you should start with smokers.... Much more issues there than obesity.

People don't die because of someone's else obesity but die for someone's else smoke.

Maybe, but smokers make the government more money...
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 28.06.2011, 19:14
Leni's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sunny Solothurn
Posts: 942
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 406 Posts
Leni has a reputation beyond reputeLeni has a reputation beyond reputeLeni has a reputation beyond reputeLeni has a reputation beyond reputeLeni has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
No one is saying obesity is just hormonal or genetics. Not all obese people eat badly by the way. but those who do, yes it is their fault.

I don't agree with you on how you judge people, call them names and insult them on an internet forum and God knows what in ''real'' life.

So no, Honey, we don't connect here.
Nil - just go back to the original post which started this discussion and read it - and the following responses.
You are brilliant at jumping in with snidey quips, but I wonder if you ever read the actual full discussion.

I have been away for the weekend and can't believe this is still going on.........
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 28.06.2011, 19:21
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
Nil - just go back to the original post which started this discussion and read it - and the following responses.
You are brilliant at jumping in with snidey quips, but I wonder if you ever read the actual full discussion.

I have been away for the weekend and can't believe this is still going on.........
Yes I read it all.

I think you don,t get that people are not liking the way you talk about other human judged on their apparences.

That's the whole point of how the thread turned! You judged a bunch of ladies meeting at a coffee place and have some cakes, etc. You judged them because they are not small but because they are big AND eat those food. And to top it all, you call them with very insulting names and comparaisons.

I think it says it all.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 28.06.2011, 19:27
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
Nil - just go back to the original post which started this discussion and read it - and the following responses.
You are brilliant at jumping in with snidey quips, but I wonder if you ever read the actual full discussion.

I have been away for the weekend and can't believe this is still going on.........
Nice ad hominem deflection there.

Kinda proves the rule in your case though...

You've been provided with plenty of food for thought about obesity, as well as several personal accounts, suggesting that it isn't as simple as you think. Yet, I'm guessing, that you still think they're all big fat whales. Ho-hum.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 28.06.2011, 19:31
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods



Hello fatties!

Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 28.06.2011, 19:51
m_dalloway's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 323
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 363 Times in 170 Posts
m_dalloway has an excellent reputationm_dalloway has an excellent reputationm_dalloway has an excellent reputationm_dalloway has an excellent reputation
Re: Fast fatty foo

Quote:
people are responsable of obesity.
From observations I would say though there is quite a correlation between obesity occuring more often in families where the parents already have some very unhealthy habits going, which then are passed on to their children.
From there it is then, overweight kid/teenager = overweight adult.
It seems to be very difficult to break those unhealthy habits and 're-invent' what has been ingrained into since childhood, I assume...
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 28.06.2011, 19:51
john h's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: zollikerberg
Posts: 50
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 18 Posts
john h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fast fatty foods

Leni,

Did you used to be fat. Reformed smokers are always the toughest on the smokers. Were you a Fatty Mcfatfat when you were younger? Did the other kids pick on you?
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 28.06.2011, 20:00
m_dalloway's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 323
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 363 Times in 170 Posts
m_dalloway has an excellent reputationm_dalloway has an excellent reputationm_dalloway has an excellent reputationm_dalloway has an excellent reputation
Re: Fast fatty foods

Could you guys give 'Leni' a break please?
It's getting awkward.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 28.06.2011, 20:16
john h's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: zollikerberg
Posts: 50
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 18 Posts
john h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
Could you guys give 'Leni' a break please?
It's getting awkward.
Okay I'm out Toodles
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 28.06.2011, 20:18
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
Could you guys give 'Leni' a break please?
It's getting awkward.

Leni could give herself a break quite easily...

All she has to do is say "Wow, I never thought about it like that, you're right, it IS wrong to treat people poorly based on assumptions I made based on their appearance." (Of course, she'd eventually show whether she truly meant it or not but it's such a simple thing to say, surely she could spit it out.)
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 28.06.2011, 20:25
john h's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: zollikerberg
Posts: 50
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 18 Posts
john h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
Leni could give herself a break quite easily...

All she has to do is say "Wow, I never thought about it like that, you're right, it IS wrong to treat people poorly based on assumptions I made based on their appearance." (Of course, she'd eventually show whether she truly meant it or not but it's such a simple thing to say, surely she could spit it out.)

Sorry I was peeking!
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 28.06.2011, 21:21
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,471
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,630 Times in 9,918 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
Wrong - when I'm going to start subsidising their healthcare by higher insurance premiums then it is my business.
Quote:
View Post
Then you have 2 choices stay or leave.

Everything is about choices. You have 2 paths to take. One is the wrong one. If you take that path, and it's wrong, you can just cut across to the other path, you have to bite the bullet, backtrack and go to the other path.
You're very fatalistic in your outlook.

There is a third choice - do something about it.

I teach my children healthy eating habits.

They respect food and have a proper balanced diet and sit-down meals.

It seems to be working - my wife somehow managed to get a plate of chicken nuggets and chips and a plate of lamb, couscous and salad from a self-service restaurant. They both fought over getting the lamb and in the end they shared it and left the chicken nuggets.

We don't have TV dinners - ever.

And although I don't have a vote here, my wife and many of our friends do. If we see something happening, we'll do something about it. If that means taxes on high sugar and high fat take-away food then an initiative could be raised to put this into action.

That's the third choice.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 28.06.2011, 21:31
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
If that means taxes on high sugar and high fat take-away food then an initiative could be raised to put this into action.

That's the third choice.
Actually, that's already a thing that I see going somewhat right here... it IS more expensive to snack on chips than it is to have some nuts. One thing that astounded me at first was how inexpensive cashews are compared to what I was used to, same thing for macadamia nuts.

So, it is easier to put together a (somewhat) healthy snack with cheap options here. Meanwhile, I was looking for something online from one of the grocery chains back home and saw that they had "Lunchables" on sale, 10 for $10. Maybe not the worst snack ever (unless you need to avoid sodium) but far far from the best.

__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 28.06.2011, 21:34
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,471
Groaned at 578 Times in 453 Posts
Thanked 24,630 Times in 9,918 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
Actually, that's already a thing that I see going somewhat right here... it IS more expensive to snack on chips than it is to have some nuts. One thing that astounded me at first was how inexpensive cashews are compared to what I was used to, same thing for macadamia nuts.

So, it is easier to put together a (somewhat) healthy snack with cheap options here. Meanwhile, I was looking for something online from one of the grocery chains back home and saw that they had "Lunchables" on sale, 10 for $10. Maybe not the worst snack ever (unless you need to avoid sodium) but far far from the best.

So are you saying that food substitute is good or bad?
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 28.06.2011, 21:34
john h's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: zollikerberg
Posts: 50
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 18 Posts
john h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post
You're very fatalistic in your outlook.

There is a third choice - do something about it.

I teach my children healthy eating habits.

They respect food and have a proper balanced diet and sit-down meals.

It seems to be working - my wife somehow managed to get a plate of chicken nuggets and chips and a plate of lamb, couscous and salad from a self-service restaurant. They both fought over getting the lamb and in the end they shared it and left the chicken nuggets.

We don't have TV dinners - ever.

And although I don't have a vote here, my wife and many of our friends do. If we see something happening, we'll do something about it. If that means taxes on high sugar and high fat take-away food then an initiative could be raised to put this into action.

That's the third choice.
No that would be backing up the wrong path and starting over. If you gave your children the wrong foods, they got fat and then you cut them off, you would be changing your path. That is to ween them off that food and down the right path.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 28.06.2011, 21:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

Whatever happened to "real food"...? Things that grow? Or is that old fashioned, and factory produced stuff is the "new" food?

Ja ja, I know, "new" foodstuffs is far more tasty - simply because most have lost the ability to actually taste?
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 28.06.2011, 21:54
john h's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: zollikerberg
Posts: 50
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 18 Posts
john h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeablejohn h is considered knowledgeable
Re: Fast fatty foods

Coming from the States, one thing I noticed is the fattening food, like Ice Cream @10,50 a pint ( in the states it's 3.50) and a Big Mac 11,00 is like 2.50 is expensive. But you can go to any sandwich shop and get a good healthy sandwich for what 6-7,00ch. Here in Switzerland they make it hard to eat garbage.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 28.06.2011, 21:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fast fatty foods

Quote:
View Post

Ja ja, I know, "new" foodstuffs is far more tasty - simply because most have lost the ability to actually taste?
Well, I'm nearly at the end of my second day of avoiding refined sugar, and I have already noticed how delicious cherries are. I burst each one against my palate and savoured the sweet juice, in a way that I simply would not have done a few days ago.

I could get used to this new world of flavour...
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 28.06.2011, 21:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,315
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fast fatty foods

A mystery to me. Have you ever seen a (reasonably) thin person stocking up on "Diet" products? The mystery part is this: The folk who eat the diet/low fat/non-sugar products seem to grow larger.....?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New: UK foods at Coop Peg A Food and drink 96 21.09.2011 13:22
10 Worst and Best Foods At least one will surprise you… jhyn21 General off-topic 24 17.11.2010 20:44
Help: Foods to go with whisky tasting? möpp Food and drink 41 25.10.2010 13:45
Where to find foods from home agrantx Food and drink 92 22.09.2010 14:12
Non-dairy foods Jazz Food and drink 9 13.04.2007 08:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0