Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.05.2011, 08:09
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 958
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Just read the rather bizarre story, in the 20 Minutes, of the Jack Russell dog that may have been attacked by an Eagle.
That did surprise me because they, despite being `cute` little things, can also be nasty little f”@@ers, that punch way way above their weight!
Thing is – it reminded me of the time I got into a bit of bother with one some years back.
We were camping in the English New Forest and this is a national Park that contained a lot of roaming wild life, therefore the restrictions of keeping dogs on a lease were pretty stringent.
We had our dog with us and naturally were careful to adhere to this rule, for fear of her being shot. . as the posters warned.
So, of I went on my daily pre-breakfast run, telling my ex-wife the usual lie that I would be about 30-40 minutes. It always ended up being 1.5 – 2 hours, often due to me getting lost but of course I never admitted that!
Anyway, this particular day I was deep into the forest and came to a crossroads of forest trail and there stood defiantly in the intersection was a wee Jack Russell. . all on his own . . . giving me the `Think you can get past me?`stare.
I stopped and came out with the usual `Helloooo . . who are you? Nice little doggy` shit . . as if the dog is gonna answer. . actually the little s@@t nearly took my hand off.
There was absolutely no one else around and I called out to see if the owner was nearby. In the end, I just though `Sod it, you’re on your own mate` and set off again.
Of course, the dog is thinking `Great! We’re off. . ` and started running along side me.
After trying to tell it `Go home!!`(stupid) and then trying to scare it off (even more stupid). .I then tried to out-run it . . . thinking `Come on then . . Let’s see what you’ve got`.
The strange thing is that Jack Russells had got a LOT of stamina and I couldn’t shake him off – in fact I started to feel a bit sorry for him – my BIG mistake.
Anyway, after another quarter of an hour I (we) reached a busy dual carriageway - yup, I was lost.
Now getting worried that the dog is going to run into the road, I decided I had to get him to a police station and I could see that there was a town around 5 miles down the road.
Wanting to get there as quick a possible, I set off down the side of the road but immediately realized that my new companion was going to last about 5 seconds with all that traffic.
So . . . . I had no option but to pick it up and run with it under my arm.
There we are. . that’s how you, or should I say I, get into bizarre situations – running down a dual carriageway with a Jack Russell under my arm and could almost hear the passengers in the cars saying `Look at that!¨ as they gawped in amazement.
I’m running - the dog is looking up at me as if to say `Hey. . . this is great!¨.
Finally arriving at the local police station (manned by one local guy only) I staggered in and told him that I had found a dog in the Forest. Actually I tried to explain the whole story and I must have sounded a bit demented because the policeman said `Just calm down sir and start at the beginning again`.

In the end, he looked at the name tag on the dog and said `Ah yes, this dog has been reported, by one of the forest rangers, as being stolen about 2 hours ago`
I swear to this day that I could here the dog doing a Dick Dastardly laugh as I left . . . git.
__________________
Everything will be okay in the end - if it`s not okay, it`s not the end.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.05.2011, 08:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,380
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 27,091 Times in 8,364 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Now, where's the Thanks button when you need it?

Great story.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.05.2011, 08:26
kevlegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far far away
Posts: 2,178
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,324 Times in 700 Posts
kevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Thanks. +3 rep coming you way amd yes, the Jack's do punch above their weight but they can be so damn adorable
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.05.2011, 08:34
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

We had a Jack Russell bitch when I was a kid. Bloody thing hated me, she thought she came somehwere between my elder sister and me in the family pecking order (I am the youngest, unfortunately).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.05.2011, 08:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,194
Groaned at 105 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,625 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

lol! But don't you mean Muttley?

Quote:
View Post
.........I swear to this day that I could here the dog doing a Dick Dastardly laugh as I left . . . git.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.05.2011, 08:58
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
lol! But don't you mean muttley?
Name:  m-laugh.gif
Views: 32489
Size:  8.3 KB
.........
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.05.2011, 09:02
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
Of course, the dog is thinking `Great! We’re off. . ` and started running along side me.
After trying to tell it `Go home!!`(stupid) and then trying to scare it off (even more stupid). .I then tried to out-run it . . . thinking `Come on then . . Let’s see what you’ve got`.
The strange thing is that Jack Russells had got a LOT of stamina and I couldn’t shake him off – in fact I started to feel a bit sorry for him – my BIG mistake.
Lesson learned: Two legs fast, four legs faster
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.05.2011, 09:07
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 958
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
lol! But don't you mean Muttley?
Damn damn damn . . . You`re right . . . and it had to be you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.05.2011, 09:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,194
Groaned at 105 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,625 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

fixed that for you mate!

Quote:
View Post
Damn damn damn . . . You`re always right . . . and it had to be you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.05.2011, 09:11
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
Just read the rather bizarre story, in the 20 Minutes, of the Jack Russell dog that may have been attacked by an Eagle.
That did surprise me because they, despite being `cute` little things, can also be nasty little f”@@ers, that punch way way above their weight!
Thing is – it reminded me of the time I got into a bit of bother with one some years back.
We were camping in the English New Forest and this is a national Park that contained a lot of roaming wild life, therefore the restrictions of keeping dogs on a lease were pretty stringent.
We had our dog with us and naturally were careful to adhere to this rule, for fear of her being shot. . as the posters warned.
So, of I went on my daily pre-breakfast run, telling my ex-wife the usual lie that I would be about 30-40 minutes. It always ended up being 1.5 – 2 hours, often due to me getting lost but of course I never admitted that!
Anyway, this particular day I was deep into the forest and came to a crossroads of forest trail and there stood defiantly in the intersection was a wee Jack Russell. . all on his own . . . giving me the `Think you can get past me?`stare.
I stopped and came out with the usual `Helloooo . . who are you? Nice little doggy` shit . . as if the dog is gonna answer. . actually the little s@@t nearly took my hand off.
There was absolutely no one else around and I called out to see if the owner was nearby. In the end, I just though `Sod it, you’re on your own mate` and set off again.
Of course, the dog is thinking `Great! We’re off. . ` and started running along side me.
After trying to tell it `Go home!!`(stupid) and then trying to scare it off (even more stupid). .I then tried to out-run it . . . thinking `Come on then . . Let’s see what you’ve got`.
The strange thing is that Jack Russells had got a LOT of stamina and I couldn’t shake him off – in fact I started to feel a bit sorry for him – my BIG mistake.
Anyway, after another quarter of an hour I (we) reached a busy dual carriageway - yup, I was lost.
Now getting worried that the dog is going to run into the road, I decided I had to get him to a police station and I could see that there was a town around 5 miles down the road.
Wanting to get there as quick a possible, I set off down the side of the road but immediately realized that my new companion was going to last about 5 seconds with all that traffic.
So . . . . I had no option but to pick it up and run with it under my arm.
There we are. . that’s how you, or should I say I, get into bizarre situations – running down a dual carriageway with a Jack Russell under my arm and could almost hear the passengers in the cars saying `Look at that!¨ as they gawped in amazement.
I’m running - the dog is looking up at me as if to say `Hey. . . this is great!¨.
Finally arriving at the local police station (manned by one local guy only) I staggered in and told him that I had found a dog in the Forest. Actually I tried to explain the whole story and I must have sounded a bit demented because the policeman said `Just calm down sir and start at the beginning again`.

In the end, he looked at the name tag on the dog and said `Ah yes, this dog has been reported, by one of the forest rangers, as being stolen about 2 hours ago`
I swear to this day that I could here the dog doing a Dick Dastardly laugh as I left . . . git.
...so the moral of this story is: Don't steal dogs from the woods as you'll be looking like a buffoon running down a dual carriageway with it under your arm.

Last edited by lost_inbroad; 26.05.2011 at 09:44.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.05.2011, 09:22
kevlegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far far away
Posts: 2,178
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,324 Times in 700 Posts
kevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond reputekevlegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
...so the moral of this story is: Don't steal dogs from the woods as you'll be looking like a baffon running down a dual carriageway with it under your arm.
What is a Baffon?? You buffoon!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.05.2011, 09:39
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
Lesson learned: Two legs fast, four legs faster
AMEN.

bash, you can never ever outrun 4 legs, especially a JT, ever. Those little blighters are terriers aka dogs on steroids. Your experience with mine should give you an idea. Great story though!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.05.2011, 09:44
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
What is a Baffon?? You buffoon!
I don't know what you're talking about. (didn't have my coffee as yet)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.05.2011, 09:48
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Hey, didn't the thread title say something about an Eagle. Whatever happened to that ?
I came in looking for a vivid "Eagle vs JR" bout...

Awesome story btw.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26.05.2011, 11:17
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
Hey, didn't the thread title say something about an Eagle. Whatever happened to that ?
I came in looking for a vivid "Eagle vs JR" bout...

Awesome story btw.
Quote:
View Post
Just read the rather bizarre story, in the 20 Minutes, of the Jack Russell dog that may have been attacked by an Eagle.
There it is.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26.05.2011, 11:20
Merrylegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vaud/Valais
Posts: 1,008
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,323 Times in 584 Posts
Merrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Apparently, the JR had been trying to dig up a marmot den, and the residents weren't too happy about it - a marmot's home is his castle sort of thing. The JR had been lost for two days and his owners were frantically searching for him. He sustained quite a few nasty scratches, but the vet who treated him said had he been attacked by an eagle, he would have been in a much more serious state - even dead! Moral of story, let sleeping marmots lay!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 26.05.2011, 11:27
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
There it is.
So I have to actually read the paper for it.
Unghh !
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 26.05.2011, 11:29
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,169
Groaned at 31 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
So I have to actually read the paper for it.
Unghh !
Now a little reading doesn't hurt, does it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26.05.2011, 11:34
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Quote:
View Post
Now a little reading doesn't hurt, does it.
Weeeellll...not really...but I thought the netizens of the EF would be kind enough to tell me about it.
I am a good listener.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26.05.2011, 11:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Jack Russell attacked by Eagle?

Why is it when I see a Jack Russell I picture Jonny Wilkinson smashing a drop goal from the half way line.

Annoying little creatures which are conviently about the same size as a Rugby ball.

They bark a lot, are aggressive (not that a nip off one of these hurts) and well.... you trip over them.

I love dogs but I just don't see the point in having a dog the size of a cereal box. If you want that get a cat.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Russell Deaney Guest Introductions 3 16.10.2010 15:11
An 11 year old Jack Russell moving to Switzerland with a docked tail? Nickyboy Permits/visas/government 18 26.04.2008 14:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0