Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01.07.2011, 14:18
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,662 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
Yes he does

It's not the first time he's been called Bruce Willis.
Ohmygoodnessgracious.... what have I started ?
Mimi,
- yup Bruce Willis is handsome
- yup so is Mirfield
- nope no middle-aged wrinkled ol'lady is flirting with your man, Miss 1981

note to me self: no comments about pics of 'possible' EFers
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01.07.2011, 14:24
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
My issue with this website is that I think it's just one more thing to help perpetuate shallowness.

I'm curious... If there was a way to gauge the overall shallowness of humanity, how different the level would be BEFORE the advent of mass media, pop culture, etc.

But I guess that even the ancient Greeks worshiped physical beauty. Of course, though, they also thought the earth was the center of the Universe.

Humans are shallow beings by nature. Our visual perception dominates. No use fighting it, just figure out where you stand in the heirarchy of beauty, try and hit higher and work to keep it for the rest of your life, or shoot lower and live the comfortable life
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01.07.2011, 15:01
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Alright..why do you guys bash people who base their preferences on looks and praise the ones who settle for character/intellect? In my opinion, it is the same kind of ignorance. Beauty, intellect and character tend to be hard to measure...and I would never sign up for a dating site as it seems to be something for socially incompetent people, but I do appreciate the fact, that people who signed up for prettyfolks.com (or whatever it's called) are straightforward about it and choose to prefer people with the mainstream beauty standard of Western society.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01.07.2011, 15:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
Alright..why do you guys bash people who base their preferences on looks and praise the ones who settle for character/intellect?
Not me. But I "bash" (just reusing your word) people who think that good looks is collectively define. One never knows what people actually are turned on by. Asking a whole community whether I am good looking or not is just irrelevant to my actual search of one person that is turned on by my looks (or several people...)
There are two and only two possibilities: either one has a partner to show off and one takes the beauty creterias of what one thinks is the standart of the community one lives in - or one has a partner to turn on oneself and one takes the beauty and sexual criterias one has and not the ones one may loosly imagine being accepted in said community.
This is the reason why I insisted on concept difference between geil/schön and charme/beauté. I don't know if you have it in English but if you haven't, you better invent it because you need it.
__________________
Es wird nichts ausgelassen, um mich hier herauszuekeln. Ein Lehrbuch. False accusations and attacks continue. There is no stopping righteous people when they are wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01.07.2011, 15:33
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
Not me. But I "bash" (just reusing your word) people who think that good looks is collectively define. One never knows what people actually are turned on by. Asking a whole community whether I am good looking or not is just irrelevant to my actual search of one person that is turned on by my looks (or several people...)
There are two and only two possibilities: either one has a partner to show off and one takes the beauty creterias of what one thinks is the standart of the community one lives in - or one has a partner to turn on oneself and one takes the beauty and sexual criterias one has and not the ones one may loosly imagine being accepted in said community.
This is the reason why I insisted on concept difference between geil/schön and charme/beauté. I don't know if you have it in English but if you haven't, you better invent it because you need it.
I'll get to it right away.. On a more serious note, I completely agree with your post. My beauty criteria are by far not mainstream and even though my gf has a very symmetrical face, I do tend to find women with "uneven" features interesting as well.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01.07.2011, 15:42
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Because at the end of the day looks fade then what is left? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking at a good looking bloke as much as the next red blooded female but for me personally I need more. I find my husband incredibley handsome but if that was all there was to our relationship I doubt very much it would have lasted as long as it has (15 years & counting). I actually have no problem with the web site itself, if the members are happy then so be it.

Quote:
View Post
Alright..why do you guys bash people who base their preferences on looks and praise the ones who settle for character/intellect? In my opinion, it is the same kind of ignorance. Beauty, intellect and character tend to be hard to measure...and I would never sign up for a dating site as it seems to be something for socially incompetent people, but I do appreciate the fact, that people who signed up for prettyfolks.com (or whatever it's called) are straightforward about it and choose to prefer people with the mainstream beauty standard of Western society.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01.07.2011, 15:45
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,168
Groaned at 290 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 10,927 Times in 4,110 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
Because at the end of the day looks fade then what is left? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking at a good looking bloke as much as the next red blooded female but for me personally I need more. I find my husband incredibley handsome but if that was all there was to our relationship I doubt very much it would have lasted as long as it has (15 years & counting). I actually have no problem with the web site itself, if the members are happy then so be it.
I definitely agree. I think the older (and wiser) you get, the more you realize the value of "inner beauty" over "outer beauty." Of course, they are certainly not mutually exclusive, but I have found that many people who focus too much on their outward beauty tend to forget to focus on the inward...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01.07.2011, 16:20
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

How many members are on EF?

How many members come once in a while on EF?

How many members write regularly on EF?

How many members write daily on EF?



It is the same exact thing with this wwww.oh!iampretty.com website kind. So if they have 70 000 members, only a few actually votes.

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01.07.2011, 16:24
ximix's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK (formerly Zurich)
Posts: 2,098
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,179 Posts
ximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond reputeximix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

So sorry (not ) to bore all the EFers who well know already what I think of the actor, Wentworth Miller, whether he's gay, fat or whatever. @LiB, @Phil MCR et al I just don't care!

I wouldn't call him beautiful but maaann...
Attached Thumbnails
beautiful-people-com-controversy-wentworth_miller_122xyz.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01.07.2011, 18:16
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,662 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

No comment Isha, that could be a pic of a guy on EF


Quote:
View Post
Because at the end of the day looks fade then what is left? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking at a good looking bloke as much as the next red blooded female but for me personally I need more. I find my husband incredibley handsome but if that was all there was to our relationship I doubt very much it would have lasted as long as it has (15 years & counting). I actually have no problem with the web site itself, if the members are happy then so be it.
I agree with Lou completely. Same feeling. After many years, ups and downs, it wouldn't have lasted if it had only been based on physical attraction. there's got to be something more, something precious to see you through the good and difficult times. And that something is not beauty.
Banking on a idea of beauty is not going to work in the long term.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beautiful people, controversy, online dating




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zürich people attending a concert: What is wrng with these people? Time Bandit Complaints corner 47 07.10.2012 22:38
Swissmedic controversy in conflict of interests MusicChick Swiss politics/news 1 16.06.2011 21:35
Landis / Armstrong controversy grynch Football/sports 18 21.05.2010 18:12
hi beautiful people Hi-col Introductions 9 10.11.2009 18:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0