Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.06.2011, 16:30
Pants-Face's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dietikon, ZH
Posts: 217
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 130 Posts
Pants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputation
Beautiful People.com Controversy

In light of the recent controversy surrounding the dating-site ''Beautiful People'.com'', I am legitimately curious as to why people get so upset about its existence.

From what I understand, aspiring members post a picture of themselves and the other existing members rate whether they find them attractive or not. If they get rejected, they are allowed to submit another picture and have a ''second shot'' at becoming a member. So, it is not a machine, or a lonely d-bag, or even 'the media' deciding on what is ''beautiful'', but rather, 700,000 other people. This should give a pretty fair chance to all kinds of sizes, skin colors, etc to be accepted, since 700,000 people surely will not have the same ideal ?
Also since it is a group deciding on what is attractive, how is it any different than our collective decision that Audrey Hepburn embodied class, or that Marilyn Monroe was a sex symbol?


Secondly, since they are not offering employment, or working for the government, and so on, there's nothing stating that they cannot be discriminating. I am curious, how do people justify ''plus size only'' or ''over 50'' dating sites; is that not a physical discrimination as well ? Some of the comments on these articles are pretty shocking, along the lines of: ''studies (???) have shown anyway that beautiful people are extremely unhappy and shallow, and we should just let them die miserably alone or with some other horrible person they meet on this website!!!'' ........Right. So now, we shouldn't judge people based on their appearance because true beauty is on the inside, except when it comes to ''beautiful people'', which are all just terrible human beings with nothing to offer...I don't understand why some of these rules only apply to the (perceived) under-privileged.

Lastly, I understand that this hatred of the website is purely emotional and probably cannot be logically justified, but it would really be nice to see people more aware of the motivations behind their emotions. We developed reason for a reason.
Why is it that we cannot admit that the world isn't how we want it to be, no matter how much we want it; and why do we always consider ourselves above so many of these things? Like my old roommate who venomously criticized this website, yet whenever ''True Blood'' (some show about vampires?) came on she would scream ''Omg, <insert main guy's name> is sooo hot!!!!'' I do not believe for a second that none of the website's critics like beauty (or symmetry at least), or that they do not have an ideal of their own, or that they are so above all these and have only ever made decisions based on other people's ''soul'' and ''inside beauty''.

So, what is so wrong with admitting we like beauty? What is so wrong with a website which tries to be like a nightclub, where social interactions are usually based purely on looks? Why are people so upset about it ??

I welcome all coherent reasons
__________________
''In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity''
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.06.2011, 16:32
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
In light of the recent controversy surrounding the dating-site ''Beautiful People'.com'', I am legitimately curious as to why people get so upset about its existence.

From what I understand, aspiring members post a picture of themselves and the other existing members rate whether they find them attractive or not. If they get rejected, they are allowed to submit another picture and have a ''second shot'' at becoming a member. So, it is not a machine, or a lonely d-bag, or even 'the media' deciding on what is ''beautiful'', but rather, 700,000 other people. This should give a pretty fair chance to all kinds of sizes, skin colors, etc to be accepted, since 700,000 people surely will not have the same ideal ?
Also since it is a group deciding on what is attractive, how is it any different than our collective decision that Audrey Hepburn embodied class, or that Marilyn Monroe was a sex symbol?


Secondly, since they are not offering employment, or working for the government, and so on, there's nothing stating that they cannot be discriminating. I am curious, how do people justify ''plus size only'' or ''over 50'' dating sites; is that not a physical discrimination as well ? Some of the comments on these articles are pretty shocking, along the lines of: ''studies (???) have shown anyway that beautiful people are extremely unhappy and shallow, and we should just let them die miserably alone or with some other horrible person they meet on this website!!!'' ........Right. So now, we shouldn't judge people based on their appearance because true beauty is on the inside, except when it comes to ''beautiful people'', which are all just terrible human beings with nothing to offer...I don't understand why some of these rules only apply to the (perceived) under-privileged.

Lastly, I understand that this hatred of the website is purely emotional and probably cannot be logically justified, but it would really be nice to see people more aware of the motivations behind their emotions. We developed reason for a reason.
Why is it that we cannot admit that the world isn't how we want it to be, no matter how much we want it; and why do we always consider ourselves above so many of these things? Like my old roommate who venomously criticized this website, yet whenever ''True Blood'' (some show about vampires?) came on she would scream ''Omg, <insert main guy's name> is sooo hot!!!!'' I do not believe for a second that none of the website's critics like beauty (or symmetry at least), or that they do not have an ideal of their own, or that they are so above all these and have only ever made decisions based on other people's ''soul'' and ''inside beauty''.

So, what is so wrong with admitting we like beauty? What is so wrong with a website which tries to be like a nightclub, where social interactions are usually based purely on looks? Why are people so upset about it ??

I welcome all coherent reasons
I like the idea....but I'm glad that we don't have this system on the EF...half of the members here wouldn't even make it to the introduction.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.06.2011, 16:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Who cares?

Didn't most of us leave high school several years ago?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.06.2011, 16:42
Pants-Face's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dietikon, ZH
Posts: 217
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 130 Posts
Pants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputation
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
Who cares?

Didn't most of us leave high school several years ago?


Apparently not though, that's my point; most people's reactions seem just as knee-jerk and poorly-thought out as an insecure high-schooler's.

And, ''who cares'' is not a valid response on the off-topic forum
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.06.2011, 16:53
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Leave them alone, they are rather sad.

http://cdn.picture.aws.beautifulpeop...a166b2279c.jpg

http://cdn.picture.aws.beautifulpeop...1c5d96b2e4.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.06.2011, 16:55
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,729
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,942 Times in 3,654 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Who cares?

I got accepted.

The rejects ain't my problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.06.2011, 17:04
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

I crashed the server with my awesomeness.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.06.2011, 17:10
Pants-Face's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dietikon, ZH
Posts: 217
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 130 Posts
Pants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputation
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
I crashed the server with my awesomeness.

Ah, so that was you !
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.06.2011, 17:16
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Conversely, I crashed the server with my akwardness
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.06.2011, 17:19
Mud's Avatar
Mud Mud is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Romandie
Posts: 2,551
Groaned at 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,827 Posts
Mud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond reputeMud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

They don't look so beautiful to me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30.06.2011, 17:22
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
Conversely, I crashed the server with my akwardness
And poor spelling
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30.06.2011, 17:31
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

If you don't like it then don't go there. Simple
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30.06.2011, 17:34
Pants-Face's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dietikon, ZH
Posts: 217
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 130 Posts
Pants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputationPants-Face has an excellent reputation
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
If you don't like it then don't go there. Simple

Why don't more people think like you ?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30.06.2011, 17:42
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
Why don't more people think like you ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30.06.2011, 19:38
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 4,322
Groaned at 69 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 7,190 Times in 2,662 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

There are real advantages to not being beautiful and that is, it eliminates the idiots.

Beauty is ephemeral and fugacious. It doesn't last.
I'll admire a beautiful person like I'd contemplate a statue, but that's it.
Beauty is not my criteria to speak or want to know a person.
Thoughts and heart are so much more interesting.

So no I wouldn't dislike a website like BeautifulPeople.com, it would just leave me totally indifferent.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30.06.2011, 19:48
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

After googling beautifulpeople.com, I figured that it's not for me. I think I'll create something more appropriate...like beautifulandawesomepeople.com.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30.06.2011, 19:51
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
After googling beautifulpeople.com, I figured that it's not for me. I think I'll create something more appropriate...like beautifulandawesomepeople.com.
Oh no, even fewer EFers would make it past the intro stage
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30.06.2011, 19:51
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

What Sky said is basicaly my thoughts. Someone who bases their worth on how they look is setting themselves up for a whole lot of unhappiness when their physical beauty fades. What are they then left with? It would never be too late to discover their inner self & the beauty that lies therein either that or one of the could start a usedtobebeautifulpeople.com and give each other tips on the best face lifts & anti ageing creams.

Quote:
View Post
There are real advantages to not being beautiful and that is, it eliminates the idiots.

Beauty is ephemeral and fugacious. It doesn't last.
I'll admire a beautiful person like I'd contemplate a statue, but that's it.
Beauty is not my criteria to speak or want to know a person.
Thoughts and heart are so much more interesting.

So no I wouldn't dislike a website like BeautifulPeople.com, it would just leave me totally indifferent.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 30.06.2011, 19:52
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

When a punch of idiots start a website on how someone looks, how rich and awesome someone is, you just walk away and sympathize their narrow idiotic minds....they're nothing but punch of clueless idiots
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 30.06.2011, 19:54
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Beautiful People.com Controversy

Quote:
View Post
Oh no, even fewer EFers would make it past the intro stage
For you Nicola, I guarantee a free lifetime membership.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beautiful people, controversy, online dating




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zürich people attending a concert: What is wrng with these people? Time Bandit Complaints corner 47 07.10.2012 22:38
Swissmedic controversy in conflict of interests MusicChick Swiss politics/news 1 16.06.2011 21:35
Landis / Armstrong controversy grynch Football/sports 18 21.05.2010 18:12
hi beautiful people Hi-col Introductions 9 10.11.2009 18:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0