Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:34
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
And how is this a problem?

Seems like a great way to do business, bill people AFTER they have received service!

Tom
I was responding to this post: Cheques as a means of payment

That post was talking about how it works here, and not knowing how it works in the UK. I was saying it is not the same in the UK, and to find that you can receive goods and services in Switzerland and pay later is often quite surprising to new residents from places like the UK.

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:34
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Wasn't the question what older people do without cheque books, like here...?

Quote:
But what do older people do in countries that don't use cheque books, like here for example?
I will Cpt. Obvious too, in our area they come to post office. Back home they come to post office, also with pink slips, it's uncanny how similar it is here and there. I doubt that many online bank, but who knows..

I think older people need to move around, despite how mean that sounds. Shopping and post office might be the only time they get out.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:41
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post

I think older people need to move around, despite how mean that sounds. Shopping and post office might be the only time they get out.
agree. It's nice that old folk here still have that option.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:41
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
Wasn't the question what older people do without cheque books, like here...?


I will Cpt. Obvious too, in our area they come to post office. Back home they come to post office, also with pink slips, it's uncanney how similar it is here and there. I doubt that many online bank, but who knows..

I think older people need to move around, despite how mean that sounds. Shopping and post office might be the only time they get out.
It might be the only time they get out, but with no post office for miles, what do you suggest for the 95 year old who doesn't drive, have family close and there's no public transport?

Remember, the post was about in the UK, not in Switzerland or the Czech Republic.

ETA, I got it wrong. Oops. See below: Cheques as a means of payment

Last edited by evilshell; 12.07.2011 at 22:49. Reason: Oops.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:47
ullainga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: around Basel
Posts: 1,579
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,189 Times in 911 Posts
ullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post

Remember, the post was about in the UK, not in Switzerland or the Czech Republic.
no, the post was "But what do older people do in countries that don't use cheque books"
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:49
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
no, the post was "But what do older people do in countries that don't use cheque books"


Apologies. I stuck with the original mention of the UK and then some of the ensuing discussion. She did open it up to other countries.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:49
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

I am now confused on my own thread
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:51
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
I am now confused on my own thread
My fault. I'm confusing tonight. I blame the wet fish.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:52
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
I was just reading this article which reports that the UK are no longer going to phase out cheque books as it would cause too many issues for older people (totally see that point as the older generation rely on cheque books back home) But what do older people do in countries that don't use cheque books, like here for example?
What makes this about UK? Here, meaning CH, no? Nicky's in CH, right? We don't have cheque books in CZ, either, so it is about here, no?

Ok, so I am confused, too. As are other posters, obviously.

I was pleasantly surprised how mobile older generation is here, while hiking at 2500m high I ran into an 80yr old man, who hiked up for a nice "little" walk, cca 12hrs, in his normal loafers, as well.

But I have an older neighbor, despite me offering doing shopping for her, etc. she is glad to get out, shopping, post office, cakes with coffee with her friends once every blue moon. I think it is healthier for older folks to dress up and walk to post office, as oppose to stay at home, at all times, and online bank.

I think people being far from post office plan a trip, by bus, once a month, or twice or so. Or family pays for them, maybe.

When I was in Alberta, no cheque books there, either. Credit cards. And a post office, that was also a gas station, shop, newsagent, bank, public payphone station, and god knows what else. But the folks who lived on the farm were so healthy, just the life there, in general, amount of exercise, that they somehow had to get to that one little multipurpose place, without thinking they can't.
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,502
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,639 Times in 18,682 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
no, the post was "But what do older people do in countries that don't use cheque books"
That's what I read as well.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12.07.2011, 22:57
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

People put cheques in birthday cards etc in the UK believing it's safer etc... There seems to be an issue and a nervousness having too much cash on them so the once a month trip to the bank to withdraw a wad of cash doesn't appeal

My gran is very frail. She struggles to walk to the shop each day let alone to the post office at the other end of the village. Lucky for her she has family close by but many don't and cheques seem to be their only and preferred method. I think they'll not be able to phase them out until the old old generation die out.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:00
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
What makes this about UK? Here, meaning CH, no? Nicky's in CH, right? We don't have cheque books in CZ, either, so it is about here, no?

Ok, so I am confused, too. As are other posters, obviously.

I was pleasantly surprised how mobile older generation is here, while hiking at 2500m high I ran into an 80yr old man, who hiked up for a nice "little" walk, cca 12hrs, in his normal loafers, as well.

But I have an older neighbor, despite me offering doing shopping for her, etc. she is glad to get out, shopping, post office, cakes with coffee with her friends once every blue moon. I think it is healthier for older folks to dress up and walk to post office, as oppose to stay at home, at all times, and online bank.

I think people being far from post office plan a trip, by bus, once a month, or twice or so. Or family pays for them, maybe.

When I was in Alberta, no cheque books there, either. Credit cards. And a post office, that was also a gas station, shop, newsagent, bank, public payphone station, and god knows what else. But the folks who lived on the farm were so healthy, just the life there, in general, amount of exercise, that they somehow had to get to that one little multipurpose place, without thinking they can't.
Yes, I used here since most of you are in Switzerland. I try to make it easy.

I know, I was a smidge confusing. I've admitted it, thanks.

But the point about cheques or no cheques, not all elderly people are all that mobile.

My grandmother died a few years ago at just a few weeks shy of 98. Due to heart failure, swollen ankles, leukaemia and a few other things, she was nowhere near as mobile as she used to be. She lived with my father in rural South Carolina, where the nearest shop was about a 10 mile drive and no public transport. She gave up driving about 4 years or so before she died. She was extremely active, never sitting, until her illness got the better of her and then she was mostly housebound.

Had she not been living with my father, how would she have been able to get to far-away places? She was nowhere near ready for a care/nursing home, she was fine in her own apartment in my father's house.

Not everyone ages well, even those who used to climb mountains.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:01
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,502
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,639 Times in 18,682 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

So, don't use cash, use EC, Post Finance, etc.

I tell my parents in the US to NEVER send checks, the fees are too high, PayPal or Amazon (or other) gift certificates are a much better idea.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:01
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

I think internet banking, sending cash online is the answer. The problem is, when one sends a cheque, it is easier for older folks to write, than type and orientate onself in the mess of PC and techie stuff, clicking on things in panic, etc. and, most of all, it is really hard to read the screen, my eye problems of somebody being cca 30yr older concur. So...I don't really know. Being tight with family, I think, have them run your errands.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:04
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
So, don't use cash, use EC, Post Finance, etc.

I tell my parents in the US to NEVER send checks, the fees are too high, PayPal or Amazon (or other) gift certificates are a much better idea.

Tom
Ok so how does my gran send me a paypal payment?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:04
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,502
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,639 Times in 18,682 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
Yes, I used here since most of you are in Switzerland. I try to make it easy.

I know, I was a smidge confusing. I've admitted it, thanks.

But the point about cheques or no cheques, not all elderly people are all that mobile.

My grandmother died a few years ago at just a few weeks shy of 98. Due to heart failure, swollen ankles, leukaemia and a few other things, she was nowhere near as mobile as she used to be. She lived with my father in rural South Carolina, where the nearest shop was about a 10 mile drive and no public transport. She gave up driving about 4 years or so before she died. She was extremely active, never sitting, until her illness got the better of her and then she was mostly housebound.

Had she not been living with my father, how would she have been able to get to far-away places? She was nowhere near ready for a care/nursing home, she was fine in her own apartment in my father's house.

Not everyone ages well, even those who used to climb mountains.
Yes, but why would she need to write checks?

My grandfather just turned 99. As he is legally blind, he CAN'T write checks, yet his bills get paid.

I fail to see the difference.

Tom

Quote:
View Post
Ok so how does my gran send me a paypal payment?
Umm, computer?

My grandmother died 6 years ago at 89, she had no problems using a computer, but that was in the US.

Tom

Last edited by MusicChick; 12.07.2011 at 23:09. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:07
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but why would she need to write checks?

My grandfather just turned 99. As he is legally blind, he CAN'T write checks, yet his bills get paid.

I fail to see the difference.

Tom
So how does he pay his bills? Purpose of this thread is to answer the question

My gran does not have a computer does not have a bank local - she relies on writing cheques to pay bills or send as a gift etc... Tell me a suitable alternative for her?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:09
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,502
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,639 Times in 18,682 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
So how does he pay his bills? Purpose of this thread is to answer the question

My gran does not have a computer does not have a bank local - she relies on writing cheques to pay bills or send as a gift etc... Tell me a suitable alternative for her?
Have someone else do it, works for most people.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:09
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

Quote:
View Post
Umm, computer?

My grandmother died 6 years ago at 89, she had no problems using a computer, but that was in the US.

Tom
You are very antagonistic

She doesn't have a frickin computer and great that yours did but there is really no chance that she would ever be able to use one
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12.07.2011, 23:14
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cheques as a means of payment

I pay for my New Scientist subscription via a little form that I complete my credit or debit card details and post off to the States. This seems like a good alternative to cheques - a cardholder not present. For security, the payer could include a phone number and time to call for a security check (if the amount is large, for example).
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reka cheques motus Finance/banking/taxation 1 23.05.2011 00:41
Deposit cheques in Post Account? Stauff Finance/banking/taxation 3 25.01.2009 20:23
Reka Cheques, Money, Cards Nickers Other/general 39 30.09.2008 00:27
Bank Cheques VERY EXPENSIVE??? Bell Finance/banking/taxation 6 02.05.2008 14:47
Foreign (Non Swiss) Cheques cyrus Finance/banking/taxation 4 21.11.2006 10:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0