Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:16
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,029
Groaned at 91 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,777 Times in 963 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

hello

my colleague and i want to work with dropbox.
our pcs are not in a network, we dont share any common drive, as the company works with sharepoint only.

for internal stuff it seems more appropriate to connect ourselfes to a common drive before check-in/chek-out stuff on sharepoint.

i have downloaded dropbox and want to share my file(s) with my colleague and vice versa. i did the usual and tried to simply share my dropbox.

it does not happen as my colleagues cant be found in the network (which doesnt exist)?

thx for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:18
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

- Create a dropbox account.
- Download the dropbox application and install locally on both computers.
- Login to the same dropbox account from both computers.
- The application should sync the files to both computers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:19
Traubert's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,141
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 2,281 Times in 805 Posts
Traubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Even for Dropbox LAN Sync, Dropbox needs to maintain a connection to the Internet. You might (most likely) have a proxy and firewall in the way. Clients need to be on the same Subnet.

You say that you are not in a network, so you can ignore the Subnet comment, but are you going through a Proxy and/or firewall?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:22
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Each sign up for separate dropbox accounts. Install the dropbox software on your desktop. Open the dropbox and create a folder. Right click on that folder and select "dropbox"-> "share this folder". Follow the instructions and it will email your colleague with the way to view any files placed in that folder.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:24
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Quote:
View Post
Each sign up for separate dropbox accounts. Install the dropbox software on your desktop. Open the dropbox and create a folder. Right click on that folder and select "dropbox"-> "share this folder". Follow the instructions and it will email your colleague with the way to view any files placed in that folder.
That will also work.
I and a friend use one account to share stuff which works really well.
This approach will also have the added benefit of having twice the amount of storage space on dropbox.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,518
Groaned at 491 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Quote:
View Post
hello

my colleague and i want to work with dropbox.
our pcs are not in a network, we dont share any common drive, as the company works with sharepoint only.

for internal stuff it seems more appropriate to connect ourselfes to a common drive before check-in/chek-out stuff on sharepoint.

i have downloaded dropbox and want to share my file(s) with my colleague and vice versa. i did the usual and tried to simply share my dropbox.

it does not happen as my colleagues cant be found in the network (which doesnt exist)?

thx for your help!
Make sure you read the contract you are signing with them...

In an update of the ticket, however, Dropbox provides information of particular importance. The company reports and the user is solely responsible for his conduct, so the way he uses the service. She added that it retains ownership of its data, but this notion seems permeable to Dropbox.

"Sometimes we need your permission to do what you ask us to do with your data (eg, host, make public or share your files). By submitting your data services, you grant us (and those who work with us to provide services) international rights, non-exclusive, royalty free, sub-license to copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (as translations and format conversions), process or display it publicly as required data reasonably necessary service. The license only allows us to manage, process and display services. "






source:
http://translate.google.com/translat...t-securite.htm
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:34
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Quote:
View Post
Make sure you read the contract you are signing with them...

In an update of the ticket, however, Dropbox provides information of particular importance. The company reports and the user is solely responsible for his conduct, so the way he uses the service. She added that it retains ownership of its data, but this notion seems permeable to Dropbox.

"Sometimes we need your permission to do what you ask us to do with your data (eg, host, make public or share your files). By submitting your data services, you grant us (and those who work with us to provide services) international rights, non-exclusive, royalty free, sub-license to copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (as translations and format conversions), process or display it publicly as required data reasonably necessary service. The license only allows us to manage, process and display services. "






source:
http://translate.google.com/translat...t-securite.htm
Isn't this the same for google ?
http://bhc3.wordpress.com/2009/02/23...who-you-trust/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,518
Groaned at 491 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Quote:
View Post
Well yes it's the same for many services...

But in that case the guy is willing to use Dropbox for professional reasons... He might want to look into the Terms and Conditions because to find out he gave his work for free....

We don't know his line of work but it might be very heavy in consequences!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.08.2011, 13:44
TheWolverine's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,490
Groaned at 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,378 Times in 688 Posts
TheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond reputeTheWolverine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Quote:
View Post
Well yes it's the same for many services...

But in that case the guy is willing to use Dropbox for professional reasons... He might want to look into the Terms and Conditions because to find out he gave his work for free....

We don't know his line of work but it might be very heavy in consequences!
Very good point. Thanks.
Another thing to check maybe would be whether dropbox service is allowed to access their work network.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.08.2011, 16:02
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,029
Groaned at 91 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,777 Times in 963 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

thx very much!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11.08.2011, 16:04
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,029
Groaned at 91 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,777 Times in 963 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Quote:
View Post
Well yes it's the same for many services...

But in that case the guy is willing to use Dropbox for professional reasons... He might want to look into the Terms and Conditions because to find out he gave his work for free....

We don't know his line of work but it might be very heavy in consequences!

thing is, its non confidential materials. otherwise id be in very hot water over this, right. just templates, drafts, notes we share with no buis relevant content.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11.08.2011, 16:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,518
Groaned at 491 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

Quote:
View Post
thing is, its non confidential materials. otherwise id be in very hot water over this, right. just templates, drafts, notes we share with no buis relevant content.
Ok for confidential but it can also be draft, notes of a project you plan to do/release which can be used by bigger corporates. Once they'll use it they can protect their "innovation" and actually sue you for your work!

I won't be surprised if the incoming research departments would pay on the internet to scout usable drafts, ideas, etc...


Anyway. debate closed it's in your responsible hands.


Anyway why you are not using a local network or a NFS compatible router?
Example:
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=543388

You can connect a big external drives and everyone in your team could access it easily...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11.08.2011, 16:34
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,029
Groaned at 91 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,777 Times in 963 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dropbox - how to share when PCs are not in a network?

erm, because i am IT illiterate? and this seems to be the easiest way...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Child Allowance - what documents do you need to submit when parents are not marriedi riehenlynne Family matters/health 4 10.02.2011 23:49
online clothing in Switzerland when you are not a size 10 caz Daily life 28 05.04.2010 23:12
How to do parenting, when you are a single parent ? bluesky_2009 Family matters/health 13 22.03.2010 10:25
how to take care of dog when YOU are sick delfinita Pet corner 13 17.10.2009 17:24
What happens if you are not in when your license plates are delivered? cbb Transportation/driving 2 07.09.2009 22:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0