English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   General off-topic (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/)
-   -   Word of Today (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/129311-word-today.html)

grynch 25.10.2011 11:16

Re: Word of Today
 
My favourite for word of the day is :

LEGS


( ok ok, it's an old joke but so am I :o )

The_Love_Doctor 25.10.2011 11:47

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grynch (Post 1386944)
My favourite for word of the day is :

LEGS


( ok ok, it's an old joke but so am I :o )

Spread the word ma man! :eek:

Fidgety 25.10.2011 11:48

Re: Word of Today
 
My favorite word is "Marvellous" or "Bloody Marvellous" depending on how I feel. It is a word that is very infectious and I caught it about 7 years ago from some one who used it constantly.

However, the best bit, is that now the majority of my colleagues, non native English speakers, use it as standard. They love it and it comes naturally. Its great......;)

Scrumptious is another good one

swissotter 25.10.2011 11:49

Re: Word of Today
 
saw on ellen last night :
LADYBITS

ecb 25.10.2011 11:52

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissotter (Post 1386979)
saw on ellen last night :
LADYBITS

Ewww Swissotter. That's going on my banned list :D

swissotter 25.10.2011 11:53

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecb (Post 1386984)
Ewww Swissotter. That's going on my banned list :D

blame ellen and autocorrect! :D

MusicChick 26.10.2011 23:02

Re: Word of Today
 
Oooh, the banned words list?

The radio banned word list...

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2011/05...ay_295_380.jpg

MusicChick 28.10.2011 12:02

Re: Word of Today
 
I was thinking of a couple of words today, but jingoism won.

I wonder what would the opposite be.

Mud 28.10.2011 12:10

Re: Word of Today
 
Nabob.

Made famous by William Safire, who happened to be a major contributor to the New York Times Magazine "On Language" column, which dealt with the etymology and use of words.

Hooyah- full circle :msncool:.


(hooyah comes from the U.S. Navy- heard-understood-acknowledged- HUA)

Mel07 28.10.2011 12:48

Re: Word of Today
 
I like this thread. :)

Those of us who grew up in Australia in the 80s would be very familiar with the word "dag". As in "you're such a dag." With dag actually being that bit of sh*t that sticks to the wool on a sheep's butt.

It fell out of fashion in the 90s but once in a blue moon I will be cracking up at something someone does and "you're such a dag" will just fall out of my mouth. :msnblush:

Sagitta 28.10.2011 12:54

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 1389087)
Oooh, the banned words list?

The radio banned word list...

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2011/05...ay_295_380.jpg

I love this list. Lots of them are my unfavourites, too. Could we have such a list for the EF?:msntongue: I'd vote for 'hubby.'

Mel07 28.10.2011 13:01

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagitta (Post 1390673)
I love this list. Lots of them are my unfavourites, too. Could we have such a list for the EF?:msntongue: I'd vote for 'hubby.'

Yes, "hubby" and "comely". :msnsick:

What about "homely" which is an old-fashioned way of describing a not very attractive girl but I find a lot of english speakers will often use it to describe a cosy home, instead of "homey".

Mud 28.10.2011 13:14

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel07 (Post 1390679)
What about "homely" which is an old-fashioned way of describing a not very attractive girl but I find a lot of english speakers will often use it to describe a cosy home, instead of "homey".

When I was growing up there was a car stereo place that had loads of ads on TV, or rather one ad that got shown all the time. They had a girl at the end that would say "sayounds rayel gude!" at the end- still sticks in my head. But the best part was they would ask customers what they thought- one lady said, "the salesmans are very courtesy, and it has a homely atmosphere" :). My father, who is a stickler for proper English, bought a stereo there (he must have single-handedly kept the classical music cassette tape business alive) and my brothers and I loved to tell him that it made his car so homely and how guude it sayounded :p.

This was deep South USA BTW.

TidakApa 28.10.2011 13:39

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel07 (Post 1390669)
I like this thread. :)

Those of us who grew up in Australia in the 80s would be very familiar with the word "dag". As in "you're such a dag." With dag actually being that bit of sh*t that sticks to the wool on a sheep's butt.

It fell out of fashion in the 90s but once in a blue moon I will be cracking up at something someone does and "you're such a dag" will just fall out of my mouth. :msnblush:

as used in the expression to "hurry ones self along"

"Rattle ya Dags"


(Since the introduction of 'mulesing', I guess this is more widely used by New Zealand sheep farmers in colder climates).

Ouchboy 28.10.2011 13:43

Re: Word of Today
 
wikilobbying

Chemmie 28.10.2011 13:52

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel07 (Post 1390679)
Yes, "hubby" and "comely". :msnsick:

What about "homely" which is an old-fashioned way of describing a not very attractive girl but I find a lot of english speakers will often use it to describe a cosy home, instead of "homey".


My parents always said I was homely as a mule's butt.

I always thought it was a bizzare way of describing a comfortable home. Sigh, wish I never read this thread. :mad:

Kristanez 28.10.2011 13:55

Re: Word of Today
 
I'm a fan of shenanigans and twitterpated, as in "Quit your shenanigans" or "He looks rather twitterpated" (dreamy, lovey-dovey, etc). I don't know if I spelled either of them correctly.

Mel07 28.10.2011 17:30

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TidakApa (Post 1390728)
as used in the expression to "hurry ones self along"

"Rattle ya Dags"


(Since the introduction of 'mulesing', I guess this is more widely used by New Zealand sheep farmers in colder climates).

I've never heard that expression before, "rattle ya dags". How brilliant though. It makes perfect sense. I might start using it on the kids. :p

NSchulzi 28.10.2011 17:43

Re: Word of Today
 
What about unctuous, and front bottom?

Mel07 28.10.2011 17:48

Re: Word of Today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolaschulz (Post 1391050)
What about unctuous, and front bottom?

"Front bottom"? Ewwww, that's almost as bad as a friend who calls farts "bottom burps".


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:41.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0