Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11.11.2011, 14:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

The photograph in question is visually about so much more than just a one dimensional pleasing photographic image and, as Traubert has stated, in his eloquently written post, it has crossed over into the world of Art and therefore stands alone as a unique piece. Whether you like the piece or not, it certainly gives us, the audience, a wake up call to our own visual bias.

I neither like it or dislike it. I do, however, find it interesting as it is the first time I have come across a photograph that has a variety of contrasting and contradictory elements in there: texture but that is water so it is fluid; transparency because we know those are the clouds but then visually we can not see through them; the cement path is solid which adds weight and the whole piece's structure is held together by the strong horizontals.. but there are, I think, two bands of light that are delicately but equally placed and done deliberately, if that is possible, just as a painter would do.. would like to see it in the skin but the more I think and look at the reproduced image, the more I like it.

Apologies for my clumsy written response to the photograph - I do not have Traubert's eloquent use of the written word, am better with paint

Last edited by Swisstree; 11.11.2011 at 22:00.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11.11.2011, 18:25
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,144
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,951 Times in 2,233 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

no photoshop, no skills, but bored on a friday afternoon:

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11.11.2011, 18:30
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
no photoshop, no skills, but bored on a friday afternoon:


The less skills the better.

(although SC's Spiderman and the worlds most expensive jpeg are pretty awesome as well)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11.11.2011, 18:31
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Tp be fair, now I look at it, I can see the value. The photographer has managed to find a bit of the Rhine not lined with beer cans, cigarette butts and dog poo.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11.11.2011, 19:18
bubbles4352's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 572
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 174 Times in 108 Posts
bubbles4352 is considered knowledgeablebubbles4352 is considered knowledgeablebubbles4352 is considered knowledgeable
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

A couple of years ago we were going around some snobby art gallery near Stockerstrasse in Zurich. They had a photo exhibition on at the time. Several of the exhibition photos were on sale for over chf 100,000 each. The photos were only A5 size and otherwise unremarkable. I don't know if they'd include the negative for that price either.

I guess it's like most other investments - it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11.11.2011, 20:32
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
Tp be fair, now I look at it, I can see the value. The photographer has managed to find a bit of the Rhine not lined with beer cans, cigarette butts and dog poo.
Yeah, it's no Tracey Emin for sure
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12.11.2011, 16:51
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Interesting article in Wired which pretty much reiterates what Traubert said http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2011/11...or-that-photo/
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 14.11.2011, 10:59
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
Interesting article in Wired which pretty much reiterates what Traubert said http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2011/11...or-that-photo/
Interesting article, and I also think the final two paragraphs sums up my feelings about photography being treated as fine art - basically it's not.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 14.11.2011, 16:30
Traubert's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,115
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 2,231 Times in 789 Posts
Traubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
Interesting article, and I also think the final two paragraphs sums up my feelings about photography being treated as fine art - basically it's not.
Why not? Let's leave fine art out of it, let's discuss why you think it's not art.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 14.11.2011, 16:42
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
Why not? Let's leave fine art out of it, let's discuss why you think it's not art.
Because Slaphead hasn't noticed the image of the Loch Ness Monster within the image.


........ ahhh, without 'ol Nessy, she's just a shitty picture of a river






Behold !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
worlds-most-expensive-photo-million-dollar-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 14.11.2011, 18:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Photography as a medium should not be restricted by our own limited understanding of its use, technically or visually - where's the progress in that?

Photography is a medium that belongs to itself and not to us. Who are we to say what it is or isn't?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 15.11.2011, 11:02
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
Who are we to say what it is or isn't?
Even if I had $4.3Million to blow on a photo....... I'd still say " It isn't "

Judging by the artists other works..... " It isn't "


A boring, dull, lifeless portrayal of photoshopped 'nothing'....... " Isn't "




It's fair to suggest that other people see something in this that others don't. Art in that sense will never change, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

However, for most people, I'd have to say that art should in someway capture an emotion, or trigger some sort of response or memory, reflect something, or send a message.


That photo is just total shit.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 15.11.2011, 11:20
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,646 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Apparently a letter sent to the buyer the day before the auction has surfaced;

Quote:
Dear [REDACTED],

You recognise the river bank? Yes? Well you should. That's where I took these pictures of you, [REDACTED] and the [REDACTED] while you were [REDACTED].

The version with you, [REDACTED] and the [REDACTED] Photoshopped out goes on sale tomorrow at Christie's. Buy it, or the unedited version goes on sale. I'm sure Mrs [REDACTED] would be interested in a preview.

P.S. Nice [REDACTED]!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 15.11.2011, 20:57
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 865
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,777 Times in 728 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

True it's not very exciting, but the idea of an arty thread interests me. Obviously the price is due to the artist's name and little else. But where do you place the limit between "crap" and "art"? Show us!

Here's one by Bill Brandt, a great photographer. Wonderful.



And I just went to Paris, mainly for the Diane Arbus exhibition (recommended).



A photographer who almost anyone interested in photography idolizes....
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 16.11.2011, 11:11
lucy_sg's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 677
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 339 Times in 199 Posts
lucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
Even if I had $4.3Million to blow on a photo....... I'd still say " It isn't "

Judging by the artists other works..... " It isn't "


A boring, dull, lifeless portrayal of photoshopped 'nothing'....... " Isn't "




It's fair to suggest that other people see something in this that others don't. Art in that sense will never change, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

However, for most people, I'd have to say that art should in someway capture an emotion, or trigger some sort of response or memory, reflect something, or send a message.


That photo is just total shit.
And yet, this photography moved you enough to take the time to post about how much you dislike it. I would even say it triggered some sort of response...
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 16.11.2011, 11:22
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
And yet, this photography moved you enough to take the time to post about how much you dislike it. I would even say it triggered some sort of response...
On the contrary, I'd say he's very much enjoying it, by using it as a blank canvas for his own form of art
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 16.11.2011, 11:46
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
And yet, this photography moved you enough to take the time to post about how much you dislike it. I would even say it triggered some sort of response...
To be fair, it's not the photo that triggered the response.

Are you familiar with the story "The Emperors New Clothes"?

The Photographer has worked hard and proven himself to be worthy, his works are recognisable and creative......... but just because he thinks it's a classic, doesn't mean everyone else has to....... and clearly, most people do NOT think this photo is anything special.

I'm entertained by the blind cries from the artistic geniuses from the art world proclaiming the magnificence of this photo. Whereas had anyone else taken the same photo, then what would the opinion be then?

I still think that if you truely want to appreciate this, seperate yourself from the artist and hold your own opinion.

I saw this, didn't know who took the photo, and it is shit.

The photo's that Mr Zappa has posted above are great by the way. I especially like the cobblestone bridge. I also don't know who took those photos.


As I also pointed out earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion (but think from outside the square, and make sure it IS YOUR opinion)..... mine is that the photo is worthless.



Quote:
View Post
On the contrary, I'd say he's very much enjoying it, by using it as a blank canvas for his own form of art
Exactly.

The photographer is taking the piss with us...... so I take the piss from him....... and the fool who paid $4.3 Million for it.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 16.11.2011, 18:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
To be fair, it's not the photo that triggered the response.

Are you familiar with the story "The Emperors New Clothes"?

The Photographer has worked hard and proven himself to be worthy, his works are recognisable and creative......... but just because he thinks it's a classic, doesn't mean everyone else has to....... and clearly, most people do NOT think this photo is anything special.

I'm entertained by the blind cries from the artistic geniuses from the art world proclaiming the magnificence of this photo. Whereas had anyone else taken the same photo, then what would the opinion be then?

I still think that if you truely want to appreciate this, seperate yourself from the artist and hold your own opinion.

I saw this, didn't know who took the photo, and it is shit.

The photo's that Mr Zappa has posted above are great by the way. I especially like the cobblestone bridge. I also don't know who took those photos.


As I also pointed out earlier, everyone is entitled to their opinion (but think from outside the square, and make sure it IS YOUR opinion)..... mine is that the photo is worthless.
The photographer is taking the piss with us...... so I take the piss from him....... and the fool who paid $4.3 Million for it.
Why the aggression then if you think everyone is entitled to their opinion? Link to the blind cries of the artistic geniuses would be nice, no? Or is this just a subjective emotional rant that insults anyone else who think differently to you.

Photographs have to be visually recognisable, why? To make you feel better and at ease with what you see and think photography/art is? And your understanding of creative is most people's, really? Any proof? Or are you just referring to this thread?
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 16.11.2011, 18:19
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
Photographs have to be visually recognisable, why? To make you feel better and at ease with what you see and think photography/art is? And your understanding of creative is most people's, really? Any proof? Or are you just referring to this thread?

The thing with many controversial art peices is that even though many will say it's rubbish, the image/artwork is rarely forgotten and is recognisable to many, albeit as "that rubbish expensive photo". Can we say the same of the many, many images we see every day?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 16.11.2011, 19:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The worlds most expensive Photo.

Quote:
View Post
The thing with many controversial art peices is that even though many will say it's rubbish, the image/artwork is rarely forgotten and is recognisable to many, albeit as "that rubbish expensive photo". Can we say the same of the many, many images we see every day?
Photography is used to record images, advertise products so we are bombarded by photographic images every day and we barely think about them other than to quickly register what they are and move on.. so when a piece of art/photography comes along that we are not sure of, there is always some sort of an outcry re what is it suppose to be.. unless of course it is eye candy then we relax, reassured by its composition.

Oddly enough, when photography became prominent in the world, the role of recording images through portraits/landscapes in painting, print and sculpture became null and void in many respects.. so the question then was asked what is the role of art and the mediums of art in the new century.. the world began to see painters who had a visually different and deeper response to the world around them and the usual outcries of rubbish was to be hear from many towards the very dear, loved artists we know today -- Van Gogh, Picasso, Klee, Kandinsky, Miro, Matisse all suffered from negative criticism and their work ridiculed as rubbish..

Nice to see we are more enlightened today with our objective reasoning, eh?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss cities to top soon the list of most expensive cities? Paulus Camillus Finance/banking/taxation 0 09.08.2011 23:05
Is Switzerland most expensive country in the world! Tupac Other/general 101 25.07.2011 09:34
1 spare packing box from a move - what are the most expensive things here to pack? kev132 Other/general 10 26.05.2011 16:02
The most expensive Christmas pud? mimi1981 Food and drink 1 29.11.2010 14:44
The Most Expensive City in the World 2006 Lob Swiss politics/news 9 09.08.2006 17:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0