Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,640
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

Quote:
In some ways I can see the point as the coffee was much hotter than the coffee in other establishments but in this case I think if the coffee had been placed on a badly maintained (wobbly) table in McDonalds, tipped over and burned her the case would have had more merit.

The fact that the old dear placed it between her legs so she could put in the milk and sugar whilst in a car was not the most sensible thing to do and much of the blame is on her shoulders.

Haven't Ford Probes got cup holders?
If this happened to you with the same results, would you have reacted as stoically as "Oh silly me, I was obviously completely at fault here! Chalk it up to experience!" and not said to yourself, "Hmm, third degree burns is going a bit far, perhaps their coffee shouldn't be that hot." Yes, it's an exceptional case, but asking for them to cover medical expenses (which is all she initially did) wasn't out of line.

None of us are above the temporary absent-mindedness she exhibited, why do we hate her so much.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:40
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

Quote:
View Post
Common sense would say you have taken this a little bit too seriously. Hopefully you get laid tonight.

I don't need to take advice from my column, or any responsibility, as the mod's moved it for my awful, regrettable mistake of positing in the wrong column.

Dont bother what? Oooo, are you the dominant type? Or just had a bad day. See above point about getting laid tonight.
Who's the one taking things seriously here?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:42
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

Quote:
View Post
If this happened to you with the same results, would you have reacted as stoically as "Oh silly me, I was obviously completely at fault here! Chalk it up to experience!" and not said to yourself, "Hmm, third degree burns is going a bit far, perhaps their coffee shouldn't be that hot." Yes, it's an exceptional case, but asking for them to cover medical expenses (which is all she initially did) wasn't out of line.
I think the general point of the article is to allude to the fact that in general, in todays world, there is such a blame culture. The lack of common sense has gone out the window. People unable to think for themselves, apply common sense, and to be the vicitim.

Maybe your right, an exceptional case, and perhaps out of context in this article.

However, it does not evade the point of the article, which is not supposed to get people all uptight.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:43
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

Quote:
View Post
Who's the one taking things seriously here?

Calm down sweets
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Common Sense

Quote:
View Post
If this happened to you with the same results, would you have reacted as stoically as "Oh silly me, I was obviously completely at fault here! Chalk it up to experience!" and not said to yourself, "Hmm, third degree burns is going a bit far, perhaps their coffee shouldn't be that hot." Yes, it's an exceptional case, but asking for them to cover medical expenses (which is all she initially did) wasn't out of line.
Actually, I really wouldn't have thought like that but I don't come from a particularly litigious country (although that seems to be slowly changing, unfortunately).

In addition, my medical bills would have been paid by the NHS (or my accident insurance here in Switzerland). What would I have sued for?

I was just looking at it from a blame point of view and putting yourself in a risky position with a hot drink (even a moderately hot drink) is a bit daft and at least some of the blame has to be taken by the woman.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,640
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

Quote:
View Post
I think the general point of the article is to allude to the fact that in general, in todays world, there is such a blame culture. The lack of common sense has gone out the window. People unable to think for themselves, apply common sense, and to be the vicitim.

Maybe your right, an exceptional case, and perhaps out of context in this article.

However, it does not evade the point of the article, which is not supposed to get people all uptight.
Fair enough. I actually agree with most of the rest. I'll leave it alone now.

And the US medical/insurance system is whole other level of f-ed up, but that's another topic for another day.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Common Sense

Quote:
View Post
If this happened to you with the same results, would you have reacted as stoically as "Oh silly me, I was obviously completely at fault here! Chalk it up to experience!"
Yes, absolutely. I can't see how it could be otherwise.
Quote:
View Post
and not said to yourself, "Hmm, third degree burns is going a bit far, perhaps their coffee shouldn't be that hot." Yes, it's an exceptional case, but asking for them to cover medical expenses (which is all she initially did) wasn't out of line.
I'm not from America, so that would never have occurred to me. The problem starts, of course, from a system that makes you think about medical expenses in the first place. Growing up in the UK it would never cross your mind. Same here, TBH.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:45
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

Quote:
Actually, I really wouldn't have thought like that but I don't come from a particularly litigious country (although that seems to be slowly changing, unfortunately).

In addition, my medical bills would have been paid by the NHS (or my accident insurance here in Switzerland). What would I have sued for?

I was just looking at it from a blame point of view and putting yourself in a risky position with a hot drink (even a moderately hot drink) is a bit daft and at least some of the blame has to be taken by the woman.
Commonsense Sandgounder!

And to think we do not always see eye to eye
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:47
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

In actual fact, I agree with a lot of what was in the OP, but the coffee thing is just a poor example.
I also have to agree with the mods moving to OT, I post all my usual senseless ramblings in there too
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:50
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

To be honest, many of the situations in the OP are still common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 25.11.2011, 11:58
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Common Sense

I am still getting to grips with EF, only 166 posts to many of your thousands peeps.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 28.11.2011, 14:08
GoVeg's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 76
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 94 Times in 42 Posts
GoVeg has earned some respectGoVeg has earned some respect
Re: Common Sense

Common sense tells me that Mr Jamie CUMMING needs to have his balls chopped off.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/838...ing-17th-child
Quote:

Scotsman Jamie Cumming, 34, lives off welfare and has had 15 children by 13 different women over the space of 16 years.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No common sense? (personal space awareness issue) PreciousBlondieLocks Complaints corner 56 13.11.2011 11:43
Good news for common sense? Louis Wu International affairs/politics 0 07.09.2011 17:47
Searching for Medical Advice in the EF: Common sense Angela-74 Family matters/health 216 13.07.2011 22:04
Motorway Common sense driving in Switzerland Swissinfo Transportation/driving 57 08.06.2011 11:20
Sixth Sense bARRON General off-topic 2 26.01.2010 14:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0