Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:33
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

My relationship with my neighbours has now evolved. Some of you may have read my earlier thread about “neighbours from hell, and no NOT Swiss”.

Well, all issues seemed to have been resolved when I had a meeting with the lady upstairs following a 4 page letter to her explaining my side of the story after we had an argument stemming from an argument with the lady next door RE: the harassment I have endure since living there. We resolved all issues, she wasn’t quite aware to what extent the crazy lady next door was causing me grief and now we are friends. My friends partner has even joined her church choir, which has assisted in the bonding.

So far a good 2 or 3, maybe 4 weeks now, there has been no problems.

Well, I come home yesterday and my cleaner has left me a long note, very distressed. Her letter informed me that a lady came and in brackets she wrote (i like to call her the witch), and that has no input from me, knocked at the door, telling her she must clean the hall way because of the dog. She informed her she would try to, not that I have ever instructed her to because I have never seen it dirty, but would concentrate on her job of cleaning the house and if she has time she will. “TRYING IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH” was her retort. None the less, she informed me she did not do it for three reasons.
1. She did not want to follow her “command”
2. She didn’t have time
3. She doesn’t want to clean the building at all

This angered me that the neighbour had the audacity to bring up again a non-point issue that has already been discussed. Telling my cleaner, who I pay, what to do. So i went to the hall way, and had a look, you cant see any dirt, hair or anything. My eyesight is very good. So I got on my hands and knees with my nose pretty much touching the floor. I could see a few hairs from the dog now, but this begs the question, is she getting on her hands and knees in the hallway? Anyway, interestingly, I found 5 fallen hair samples from my neighbour. These have been collected and stored for safe keeping.

I left a note in her post box respectfully asking that she does not instruct my cleaner what to do, and if the hallway was ever noticeably dirty, I would clean it, but it is not. Also stating that I pay for building maintenance out of my rent. Thank you.

I can’t lie, I am praying she comes round to discuss the note tonight, and watching her face as I confront her with her hairs in the hallway.

I am actually enjoying my building relationship now.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:41
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

I watched a documentary (or film, I don't recall exactly) whereby you can use those hairs to clone your neighbour. You can then train your clone to support you and attach your real neighbour. Please video the resulting fight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:42
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post
I watched a documentary (or film, I don't recall exactly) whereby you can use those hairs to clone your neighbour. You can then train your clone to support you and attach your real neighbour. Please video the resulting fight.
Like a sort of cloned limpet-mine?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:44
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Yeah, that's what I meant exactly. I'm glad you didn't just think I was stupid and couldn't type attack.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:45
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant exactly. I'm glad you didn't just think I was stupid and couldn't type attack.
No no, not at all
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,320
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,708 Times in 1,614 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Love thy Neighbour
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:51
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Jordan, can I be blunt?

Sometimes, you gotta pick your battles. This is a battle that I wont fight.

I'll tell you why:

When I first got my dog, I was living in another apartment with an old retired lady above me. She was the sweetest thing and loves dogs but she is very anal retentive about cleanliness. Cleanliness over EVERYTHING else. My landlady lived in the apartment before me and my neighbour used to bitch about my landlady not being clean in the laundry area, the outside of her house etc.

That gave me the impression that if I get on her wrong side, my life will not be easy.

We share a lift between the two apartments to take us down to the garage and the entire lift is padded with carpets. Go figure. Dog hairs get onto them. I make it a point to hoover the lift once a week - she even thanked me for doing that regularly and instructed her cleaner to do the same.

My point is: sometimes, you might be in the right, as you do pay for your building maintenance but it doesnt hurt to get your cleaning lady to run the hoover outside your door for a minute even if she isnt hoovering. Its tiring putting up a show but it gives you more ammunition to tell them to shut the f*** up when they complain about your dog dirtying the hallway: ie: you're done your best in trying to keep it clean - so if they want it any cleaner, they can do it themselves.

Whats done is done. Keep us updated, theie petty antics, and you collecting her hairs are cracking me up!
__________________
Remember when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, BUT it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the mother-f***er upside the head.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post
I can’t lie, I am praying she comes round to discuss the note tonight, and watching her face as I confront her with her hairs in the hallway.
Collecting the hairs has probably been a double whammy - 1) you've collected evidence against her bloody busy-bodying and 2) you've set yourself up to look like some crazy stalker and she'll leave you well alone in future.

Reinforce this impression with some further odd behaviour and you won't see your neighbour for dust...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.12.2011, 15:55
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

This is the best drama of the week! Please keep us updated! I am on the dog's side ( he is too cute)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.12.2011, 16:08
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post
Jordan, can I be blunt?
Quote:
View Post
Sometimes, you gotta pick your battles. This is a battle that I wont fight.
I'll tell you why:
When I first got my dog, I was living in another apartment with an old retired lady above me. She was the sweetest thing and loves dogs but she is very anal retentive about cleanliness. Cleanliness over EVERYTHING else. My landlady lived in the apartment before me and my neighbour used to bitch about my landlady not being clean in the laundry area, the outside of her house etc.
That gave me the impression that if I get on her wrong side, my life will not be easy.
We share a lift between the two apartments to take us down to the garage and the entire lift is padded with carpets. Go figure. Dog hairs get onto them. I make it a point to hoover the lift once a week - she even thanked me for doing that regularly and instructed her cleaner to do the same.
My point is: sometimes, you might be in the right, as you do pay for your building maintenance but it doesnt hurt to get your cleaning lady to run the hoover outside your door for a minute even if she isnt hoovering. Its tiring putting up a show but it gives you more ammunition to tell them to shut the f*** up when they complain about your dog dirtying the hallway: ie: you're done your best in trying to keep it clean - so if they want it any cleaner, they can do it themselves.
Whats done is done. Keep us updated, theie petty antics, and you collecting her hairs are cracking me up!


Hey, thank you for your PM the other day BTW, very kind

I do totally see your point, and if this woman’s tact was different from the very beginning, then I would happily do it, as your right, it doesn’t hurt. But now it’s a matter of principle.

She has been avoiding me ever since I showed her that I am not going to be Mr Nice anymore, as it was only leading to her taking advantage and harassing even further. So, for her to go to the cleaner and literally demand of her, behind my back, perhaps thinking the cleaner would just do it without saying anything is a liberty as far as I am concerned. Not only that, its the tone, my cleaner does not know of the history, yet from one discussion calls her a witch, insulting and rude in the letter she left me.

I am now on side with all neighbours except her. The Irish guy below with kids was telling me yesterday that his kids make more mess than the dog, of which he insists he has still never seen or heard. Thats how ridiculous it is. He also explained the woman and her partner were trying to buy my apartment prior to my moving in at a ridiculously low price and perhaps they are disgruntled that the landlord wouldn’t sell. Perhaps they wanted control over who lived there. I am determined to buy it myself now.

I mean my dog is wearing a coat now, for the winter, and comes in and out 3 times a day, which probably takes 10seconds, so we’re talking 1min of presence in the hallway. If it was covered in hair I would notice, be embarrassed and clean it. But to get on your hands and knees to notice is not an issue.

Haha, i know, its crazy, but I found myself enjoying it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.12.2011, 16:13
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post

Hey, thank you for your PM the other day BTW, very kind

I do totally see your point, and if this woman’s tact was different from the very beginning, then I would happily do it, as your right, it doesn’t hurt. But now it’s a matter of principle.

She has been avoiding me ever since I showed her that I am not going to be Mr Nice anymore, as it was only leading to her taking advantage and harassing even further. So, for her to go to the cleaner and literally demand of her, behind my back, perhaps thinking the cleaner would just do it without saying anything is a liberty as far as I am concerned. Not only that, its the tone, my cleaner does not know of the history, yet from one discussion calls her a witch, insulting and rude in the letter she left me.

I am now on side with all neighbours except her. The Irish guy below with kids was telling me yesterday that his kids make more mess than the dog, of which he insists he has still never seen or heard. Thats how ridiculous it is. He also explained the woman and her partner were trying to buy my apartment prior to my moving in at a ridiculously low price and perhaps they are disgruntled that the landlord wouldn’t sell. Perhaps they wanted control over who lived there. I am determined to buy it myself now.

I mean my dog is wearing a coat now, for the winter, and comes in and out 3 times a day, which probably takes 10seconds, so we’re talking 1min of presence in the hallway. If it was covered in hair I would notice, be embarrassed and clean it. But to get on your hands and knees to notice is not an issue.

Haha, i know, its crazy, but I found myself enjoying it.
I am quite enjoying the reports re the nutty neighbours too! Picking up her stray hairs and keeping them is priceless. The things we have to resort to in order to deal with some people here, I really dont know whether to laugh or cry.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.12.2011, 16:16
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,742
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,634 Times in 7,826 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post

Hey, thank you for your PM the other day BTW, very kind

I do totally see your point, and if this woman’s tact was different from the very beginning, then I would happily do it, as your right, it doesn’t hurt. But now it’s a matter of principle.

She has been avoiding me ever since I showed her that I am not going to be Mr Nice anymore, as it was only leading to her taking advantage and harassing even further. So, for her to go to the cleaner and literally demand of her, behind my back, perhaps thinking the cleaner would just do it without saying anything is a liberty as far as I am concerned. Not only that, its the tone, my cleaner does not know of the history, yet from one discussion calls her a witch, insulting and rude in the letter she left me.

I am now on side with all neighbours except her. The Irish guy below with kids was telling me yesterday that his kids make more mess than the dog, of which he insists he has still never seen or heard. Thats how ridiculous it is. He also explained the woman and her partner were trying to buy my apartment prior to my moving in at a ridiculously low price and perhaps they are disgruntled that the landlord wouldn’t sell. Perhaps they wanted control over who lived there. I am determined to buy it myself now.

I mean my dog is wearing a coat now, for the winter, and comes in and out 3 times a day, which probably takes 10seconds, so we’re talking 1min of presence in the hallway. If it was covered in hair I would notice, be embarrassed and clean it. But to get on your hands and knees to notice is not an issue.

Haha, i know, its crazy, but I found myself enjoying it.
maybe you can get her DNA sequenced and talk through the report with her next time - maybe there might be some hereditary gene which predisposes her to being bat-shit crazy. i think you can get them done for £100 or so now.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.12.2011, 16:19
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post
I am quite enjoying the reports re the nutty neighbours too! Picking up her stray hairs and keeping them is priceless. The things we have to resort to in order to deal with some people here, I really dont know whether to laugh or cry.

Haha. The lady upstairs, when we had a our peace chat, tried to defend the lady next door about when I ranted at her about her plants, flowers, and bin bags.

I said i dont like the plant, get rid of it, the flowers are purple, I would prefer orange, and her bin bag outside open is disgusting and attracting flies, I managed to pin point one fly on the wall, and acted as if I was going to die from this breach of cleanliness.

The neighbor upstairs was saying, we all put our bin bags outside from time to time, as we dont want to walk up the 60 steps to put them in the container. And i told her, your missing the point, i dont care about of those things, I am just trying to get her to realise how petty she is being. Then she had a little smile, in recognition. haha
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.12.2011, 19:45
lifeisabuffet's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Frankfurt/Zurich
Posts: 95
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 55 Posts
lifeisabuffet has an excellent reputationlifeisabuffet has an excellent reputationlifeisabuffet has an excellent reputationlifeisabuffet has an excellent reputation
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post

He also explained the woman and her partner were trying to buy my apartment prior to my moving in at a ridiculously low price and perhaps they are disgruntled that the landlord wouldn’t sell. Perhaps they wanted control over who lived there. I am determined to buy it myself now.
I guess that sort of explains why she is on your case.
I had a neighbor like that. It turned out she wanted to buy the apartment I was in but my landlord made the first offer to me. She tried all kinds of stuff to drive me away. She even carved swastikas in the apartment hallway. How pathetic is that? lol.

Last edited by lifeisabuffet; 02.12.2011 at 19:48. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24.01.2012, 03:33
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Embracing the challenges, and enjoying it

Quote:
View Post

Hey, thank you for your PM the other day BTW, very kind

I do totally see your point, and if this woman’s tact was different from the very beginning, then I would happily do it, as your right, it doesn’t hurt. But now it’s a matter of principle.

She has been avoiding me ever since I showed her that I am not going to be Mr Nice anymore, as it was only leading to her taking advantage and harassing even further. So, for her to go to the cleaner and literally demand of her, behind my back, perhaps thinking the cleaner would just do it without saying anything is a liberty as far as I am concerned. Not only that, its the tone, my cleaner does not know of the history, yet from one discussion calls her a witch, insulting and rude in the letter she left me.

I am now on side with all neighbours except her. The Irish guy below with kids was telling me yesterday that his kids make more mess than the dog, of which he insists he has still never seen or heard. Thats how ridiculous it is. He also explained the woman and her partner were trying to buy my apartment prior to my moving in at a ridiculously low price and perhaps they are disgruntled that the landlord wouldn’t sell. Perhaps they wanted control over who lived there. I am determined to buy it myself now.

I mean my dog is wearing a coat now, for the winter, and comes in and out 3 times a day, which probably takes 10seconds, so we’re talking 1min of presence in the hallway. If it was covered in hair I would notice, be embarrassed and clean it. But to get on your hands and knees to notice is not an issue.

Haha, i know, its crazy, but I found myself enjoying it.
You could offer the neighbor an addendum to your cleaner's contract that would include cleaning the hallways and other public areas. Ask her to sign it and ask her for her bank number and details so that you can just have the billag sent directly.

See what kind of reaction you get.

BTW, isn't open rubbish in the common areas a violation of the rental agreement or covenant as well as a health hazard violation? Just curious and glad I didn't have to deal with this stuff in my apartment.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Basel and enjoying the sunshine Irish lass Introductions 4 04.10.2010 10:47
The 11 Best Foods You Aren’t Eating (since it's the new year and all....) nanners Food and drink 20 10.01.2010 12:19
Enjoying Zurich... GabeW Introductions 0 04.09.2009 14:08
EU commission challenges mobile roaming rip-offs Castro TV/internet/telephone 0 15.07.2008 19:26
Size of visa stamp? does it exist and will it fill the passport? Zug bound Permits/visas/government 8 02.06.2007 14:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0