Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 18.12.2011, 16:53
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,905
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,649 Times in 1,708 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Why do some threads, such as this one, have no "Thanks" buttons?
Because off topic forum threads have no thanks button
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 18.12.2011, 16:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Because off topic forum threads have no thanks button
Aaah, that's a shame :-)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 18.12.2011, 16:59
Monomix's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 112
Groaned at 17 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 48 Posts
Monomix has an excellent reputationMonomix has an excellent reputationMonomix has an excellent reputationMonomix has an excellent reputation
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
See what happens when you have a thread with no "thanks" buttons?
You are making a valid point.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 18.12.2011, 17:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Babysitting etiquette

I used to pay my babysitters the full amount for what I'd booked if I needed to cancel at short notice, less than 24 hours.

Whether or not I needed to pay them didn't really enter my head, I just thought it was the right thing to do as they were both very good and reliable and I was more than happy with the way they looked after my children.

In the long run finding a good baby sitter and keeping them happy to work for you is more important than saving the cost of one evening. Especially if they are hard to find.

Why would you want to mess them about just to save a few pounds/euros/franks?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 18.12.2011, 17:40
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

All good opinions indeed.

I was a babysitter for 7 years and never ever someone pay me my hours for cancellation, ever!

I was also a full time student and was paid 2 $ per hours while this babysitter ask 8 euros. We told her we will pay her 10, because this is the normal fee for the job here. I didn't want to take advantage of her and I wanted to be fair.

Last week, I asked her to babysit which she didn't even answer back. When I ask her thursday why she didn't answer me she said she was busy. And this time, she could answer me right away but didn't. And she admitted she had the message.

So in my book, it is rude and she is not reliable. I cancel because my kids are sick, not because I didn't feel like going out.... I am craving to go out!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 18.12.2011, 17:47
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,905
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,649 Times in 1,708 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
All good opinions indeed.

I was a babysitter for 7 years and never ever someone pay me my hours for cancellation, ever!

I was also a full time student and was paid 2 $ per hours while this babysitter ask 8 euros. We told her we will pay her 10, because this is the normal fee for the job here. I didn't want to take advantage of her and I wanted to be fair.

Last week, I asked her to babysit which she didn't even answer back. When I ask her thursday why she didn't answer me she said she was busy. And this time, she could answer me right away but didn't. And she admitted she had the message.

So in my book, it is rude and she is not reliable. I cancel because my kids are sick, not because I didn't feel like going out.... I am craving to go out!
This is the most annoying thing but it happens to all of us. We are just too busy to answer. Although in this case since you are a potential employer and she needs the money she should answer as soon as she got the message (which could be a couple of hours after you sent it to be fair)

But as you said, since there is no shortage of babysitters in Barcelona, find someone else.

Off topic: How can i get from the airport to the city center and how long does it take?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 18.12.2011, 17:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Off topic: How can i get from the airport to the city center and how long does it take?
I usually use the train, takes about 25 mins.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...transport.html
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 18.12.2011, 17:55
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
This is the most annoying thing but it happens to all of us. We are just too busy to answer. Although in this case since you are a potential employer and she needs the money she should answer as soon as she got the message (which could be a couple of hours after you sent it to be fair)

But as you said, since there is no shortage of babysitters in Barcelona, find someone else.

Off topic: How can i get from the airport to the city center and how long does it take?
Taxis cost around 30 euros and takes around 20 minutes. Buses from airport to placa Catalonia for much cheaper (no idea of the price) but be careful of your luggages, stories of people stealing them are too often reported. We must meet!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 18.12.2011, 17:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Last week, I asked her to babysit which she didn't even answer back. When I ask her thursday why she didn't answer me she said she was busy. And this time, she could answer me right away but didn't. And she admitted she had the message.

So in my book, it is rude and she is not reliable. I cancel because my kids are sick, not because I didn't feel like going out.... I am craving to go out!
She doesn't sound that good, I think you are better off finding another baby sitter...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 18.12.2011, 18:01
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,905
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,649 Times in 1,708 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
I usually use the train, takes about 25 mins.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...transport.html
Quote:
View Post
Taxis cost around 30 euros and takes around 20 minutes. Buses from airport to placa Catalonia for much cheaper (no idea of the price) but be careful of your luggages, stories of people stealing them are too often reported. We must meet!
Thank you

Im trying to figure out if a day trip to barcelona is doable. It seems it is. And yes i know that is better if i stay overnight

Anyway back to the topic. Nil dont use her again. You will be worrying the whole time and you wont be able to enjoy your well deserved night out
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 18.12.2011, 19:28
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,219
Groaned at 311 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
All good opinions indeed.

I was a babysitter for 7 years and never ever someone pay me my hours for cancellation, ever!

I was also a full time student and was paid 2 $ per hours while this babysitter ask 8 euros. We told her we will pay her 10, because this is the normal fee for the job here. I didn't want to take advantage of her and I wanted to be fair.

Last week, I asked her to babysit which she didn't even answer back. When I ask her thursday why she didn't answer me she said she was busy. And this time, she could answer me right away but didn't. And she admitted she had the message.

So in my book, it is rude and she is not reliable. I cancel because my kids are sick, not because I didn't feel like going out.... I am craving to go out!
The babysitter should realise they are doing you a favour and that it is something that can be cancelled at short notice. Our daughter often babysits and has had occassions when a cancellation happened for exactly the reason you gave, never has she ever expected compensation in such a circumstance.

If you babysitter is complaining and wants compensation in this circumstance tell her that her services will no longer be required in future as you have found better options.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 18.12.2011, 21:50
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Last week, I asked her to babysit which she didn't even answer back. When I ask her thursday why she didn't answer me she said she was busy. And this time, she could answer me right away but didn't. And she admitted she had the message.

So in my book, it is rude and she is not reliable. I cancel because my kids are sick, not because I didn't feel like going out.... I am craving to go out!
Ditch her. Agreet hat she sounds scatty and unreliable. True she is just a student who babysits for extra cash but there still needs to be a level of professionalism and courtesy for clients - especially to keep a regular stream of clients in a competitive environment whereby babysitting services are in abundance.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 19.12.2011, 09:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 66
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 56 Times in 38 Posts
goshiki has earned some respectgoshiki has earned some respect
Re: Babysitting etiquette

I would not put much more effort into this, as I think from her behaviour that she has already ditched you as an employer. If she really wanted to keep babysitting for you, she would have responded to your next baby sitting request. Even if it had been a no.

I think that bridge is well and truly burnt.

Question: On your post where you showed her SMS. Are the **** representing swear words or a hostel names? I took it as a hostel name, others are taking it as her swearing at you. Just wondered.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 19.12.2011, 09:52
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
I would not put much more effort into this, as I think from her behaviour that she has already ditched you as an employer. If she really wanted to keep babysitting for you, she would have responded to your next baby sitting request. Even if it had been a no.

I think that bridge is well and truly burnt.

Question: On your post where you showed her SMS. Are the **** representing swear words or a hostel names? I took it as a hostel name, others are taking it as her swearing at you. Just wondered.
It is a hostel name. She answered me about the Friday she is working. And the rest of the time she is free, so no she didnt ditched me.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 19.12.2011, 10:36
Meeyat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 680
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 874 Times in 349 Posts
Meeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

I think that her answer is ok. Honest. From the deep of her heart. Only thing that I can read there is that she is disappointed in her bad luck.

From that very fact (that she is sharing it with you), I can only read that she is a normal, emotional human being. "Look what bad luck do I have today, even ended up without a job, poor me". It feels to me like a scream for compassion, for understanding.

Perhaps she is a student, from a far away place. Living in shared accommodation, student campus, etc. Wants to buy present for someone. Whatever.

I actually think I like her already She has shown far more human traits than many that I know here in CH.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 19.12.2011, 11:42
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
I think that her answer is ok. Honest. From the deep of her heart. Only thing that I can read there is that she is disappointed in her bad luck.

From that very fact (that she is sharing it with you), I can only read that she is a normal, emotional human being. "Look what bad luck do I have today, even ended up without a job, poor me". It feels to me like a scream for compassion, for understanding.

Perhaps she is a student, from a far away place. Living in shared accommodation, student campus, etc. Wants to buy present for someone. Whatever.

I actually think I like her already She has shown far more human traits than many that I know here in CH.
She leaves in her parents home and they pay her school and everything she needs. She told me how lucky she was to have her parents to help her. She is a nice girl, really. Just not really reliable with a bit of a spoiled attitude maybe?

Anyway, I got many opinions and it help me to fix mine, thanks a lot to everybody who care to share their opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 19.12.2011, 12:09
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 99 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
She leaves in her parents home and they pay her school and everything she needs. She told me how lucky she was to have her parents to help her. She is a nice girl, really. Just not really reliable with a bit of a spoiled attitude maybe?

Anyway, I got many opinions and it help me to fix mine, thanks a lot to everybody who care to share their opinions.
Did you figure out yet that the real answer is "Yes Nil - you overreacted, but we i) love you too much to tell you and ii) we're all a bit scared of you now?"

Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 19.12.2011, 12:49
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Did you figure out yet that the real answer is "Yes Nil - you overreacted, but we i) love you too much to tell you and ii) we're all a bit scared of you now?"

I got that. My over reaction is surely due to the week before when she didn't bother to answer because she didn't need the money and when she needs it but the kids are sick, she express her "bad luck". It has to do also with my own experience as a babysitter where I wouldn't ever dare to say something back to a potential employer.

She send me an other message to tell me she is available next Friday but I felt off love with her. I know I over reacted but it still have a bad taste in my mouth. I was already not impressed of her no answer, this is just the little plus that killed it. I have already other potential babysitters and I'll make sure with them to have a good understanding of what we do in case of sickness from both sides.

That was my very first experience, I learned.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 19.12.2011, 13:13
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 3,979
Groaned at 99 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
It has to do also with my own experience as a babysitter where I wouldn't ever dare to say something back to a potential employer.
Did somebody hack your account? Nil as the quiet mouse doesn't sound right to me
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 19.12.2011, 13:17
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Babysitting etiquette

Quote:
View Post
Did somebody hack your account? Nil as the quiet mouse doesn't sound right to me
Before I learn to speak up, I used to be bullied. Now, believe it or not, I know when to shut up.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dog etiquette ruthanella Pet corner 27 08.07.2011 11:18
Interview etiquette IrishLouise Employment 21 26.05.2010 22:49
Phone Etiquette lost_inbroad Complaints corner 39 15.04.2010 09:07
Tram etiquette ALT_F4 Complaints corner 48 06.08.2009 10:06
dining etiquette swissotter Food and drink 114 17.05.2009 21:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0