Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2081  
Old 13.01.2021, 14:24
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,072
Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,248 Times in 9,883 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
Many phenomena aren't independent of scale, it just appears like that because the average human only sees a limited range of scales.

Your example of oscillation isn't a good one - "oscillation" just means stuff changing between states periodically, the underlying scientific cause may be radically different.

Laws of science may cease to work at very small scales - a standard undergraduate problem when comparing classical laws with quantum mechanics etc.

Or at "larger" scales, for example the strong nuclear force has a clear maximum range beyond which it is not effective, it is bound within that range.
In all of these cases laws do not cease to function.

Rather there are effects that for practical purposes we can safely ignore in certain cases because they are totally insignificant. But they still exist.

There is a big difference between saying, say, "an architect can safely ignore the curvature of the earth because any effects thereof will be well within the margin of error relevant to the construction business", and say, "all architects are flat-earthers, and so she everybody else be who isn't a pilot or a navigator".
Reply With Quote
  #2082  
Old 13.01.2021, 15:53
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,032
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,811 Times in 720 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
So people who take bath, aren't they really in water that is contaminated by water that is touching their asshole and circulating on to their face and body? Irrespective of how good you wipe your ass?
Yes
Reply With Quote
  #2083  
Old 13.01.2021, 19:21
22 yards's Avatar
All mod cons
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 9,137
Groaned at 290 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 19,493 Times in 7,680 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
I am a shower guy, but I have a bath and backside related question! So people who take bath, aren't they really in water that is contaminated by water that is touching their asshole and circulating on to their face and body? Irrespective of how good you wipe your ass?

The Exception would be if you take a full soap shower and then have a bath.
Yes, of course, although you'd have to be a pretty ineffectual and unhygienic butt-wiper to leave enough faeces around your anus to cause any sort of a problem. Also, whatever dirt was on your skin remains in the closed system of the bath plus your body, so some of it is just redistributed on your skin.

But a bathtub holds on average around 94.6 litres of water (allowing room for the bather to enter and displace water); regrettably I couldn't find any academically robust data on the average quantity of faeces available post-toilet-use for dispersion in the bath, but I am confident that whatever minute quantity of faeces remains after you empty your bowels and wipe your anus would be diluted to homeopathic levels in a bath.

If you're truly concerned about this issue, use a bidet instead of toilet paper (I have no idea what you're supposed to do with that little towel after using the bidet), or better yet, take showers instead of baths. But for the sake of the environment, limit the shower to 10 minutes maximum, as showers use on average 9.5 litres of water per minute and it would be great to save water as well as improve hygiene, compared to using a bath.
Reply With Quote
  #2084  
Old 13.01.2021, 19:37
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 16,645
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 19,155 Times in 9,993 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Everybody uses wet toilet paper wipes. Like..for centuries. Ok, for a long time. Flushable, biodegradable. It is practical, TTYL, for you goat shed with a tub.
Reply With Quote
  #2085  
Old 13.01.2021, 21:28
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 830
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,213 Times in 528 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

When undergarments or pants aren't washed for a long time, the bacteria will reach a higher equilibrium - harmless + stinky.

https://globalnews.ca/news/107083/no...-months-study/
Reply With Quote
  #2086  
Old 13.01.2021, 21:32
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 16,645
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 19,155 Times in 9,993 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
When undergarments or pants aren't washed for a long time, the bacteria will reach a higher equilibrium - harmless + stinky.

https://globalnews.ca/news/107083/no...-months-study/
Does Uni of Alberta have too much cash to spare....really??
Reply With Quote
  #2087  
Old 13.01.2021, 21:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 59
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Theoslimm has earned some respectTheoslimm has earned some respect
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
Yes
Don't we all need a bit more dirt in our lives?

Sterility is critical in many processes at work, but do we really need to take it home with us - especially during these 'End Days'?

Let's raise a glass to keeping a good healthy balance.... here's mud in your eye!
Reply With Quote
  #2088  
Old 14.01.2021, 07:44
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,899 Times in 723 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

I will stick with shower then, even though I have probably the cleanest ass in Switzerland

Ok next one! I made a very large pot of mixed vegetable soup to last me 3 days at 17:00 yesterday. The soup stayed warm for a couple of hours out in the kitchen. I forgot to put the soup in the fridge last night. At 05:00 this morning I put it in the fridge.

What is bacteria situation with it? Keep on consuming it fearlessly as long as I heat it up properly? What if it had been a non-veg soup?
Reply With Quote
  #2089  
Old 14.01.2021, 08:50
Caleb's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,032
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,811 Times in 720 Posts
Caleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
even though i have probably the cleanest ass in switzerland
tmi
Reply With Quote
  #2090  
Old 14.01.2021, 09:57
Bossa Nova's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 167
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 413 Times in 112 Posts
Bossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
I will stick with shower then, even though I have probably the cleanest ass in Switzerland

Ok next one! I made a very large pot of mixed vegetable soup to last me 3 days at 17:00 yesterday. The soup stayed warm for a couple of hours out in the kitchen. I forgot to put the soup in the fridge last night. At 05:00 this morning I put it in the fridge.

What is bacteria situation with it? Keep on consuming it fearlessly as long as I heat it up properly? What if it had been a non-veg soup?
It's fine, you killed any bacteria that was in it when you cooked it. Vegetables aren't generally a source of food poisoning/bacterial contamination anyways (at least, not in Switzerland).

If you had left out raw meat it would be a different story, as it could very likely have had living bacteria on it, which would have had all night to multiply at room temperature.
Reply With Quote
  #2091  
Old 14.01.2021, 10:48
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,266
Groaned at 28 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,396 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
It's fine, you killed any bacteria that was in it when you cooked it. Vegetables aren't generally a source of food poisoning/bacterial contamination anyways (at least, not in Switzerland).
Ouch! Aldi and Migros recall salads for listeria contamination https://www.nau.ch/news/schweiz/ruck...uruck-65849196
Reply With Quote
  #2092  
Old 14.01.2021, 10:49
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 9,043
Groaned at 366 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,377 Times in 6,655 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
It's fine, you killed any bacteria that was in it when you cooked it. Vegetables aren't generally a source of food poisoning/bacterial contamination anyways (at least, not in Switzerland).
Quite.

But, if you leave in uncovered for long enough, like a couple of days, or even if it's covered but has been left exposed at some point, it may start to develop mould. Normally this would be obvious, but it's possible that a slimy surface layer might not be noticed, particularly if you've liquidised the soup. I don't think it would kill you, but your digestive system may not like it very much.

We often make soup in the pressure cooker that will be reheated two or three times over the next couple of days, but not refrigerated. Just bringing it back to pressure each time seems to do the job.
__________________
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #2093  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:24
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 16,645
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 19,155 Times in 9,993 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
tmi
The things people announce to the entire world.. I wonder how many people just read TTYL's post. A couple hundreds?
Reply With Quote
  #2094  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:40
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,899 Times in 723 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
The things people announce to the entire world.. I wonder how many people just read TTYL's post. A couple hundreds?

They will all know that it is safe to let me have a bath in their castle


Quote:
View Post
We often make soup in the pressure cooker that will be reheated two or three times over the next couple of days, but not refrigerated. Just bringing it back to pressure each time seems to do the job.
My soup was nicely covered when accidentally out for the night. So your pressure cooked soup you leave out for 2-3 days and just keep cooking it? Wow! I learnt something new

Boiling it, so many times surely must reduce the nutritional content of that soup though?

Normally I cook the soup in a huge container. Let it cool down for 2hrs, then put it in the fridge. For the next few days I just take one bowl worth out and lightly warm it up.
Reply With Quote
  #2095  
Old 14.01.2021, 12:53
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 9,043
Groaned at 366 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 15,377 Times in 6,655 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
So your pressure cooked soup you leave out for 2-3 days and just keep cooking it? Wow! I learnt something new
I'm not advocating it as a best practice, but it's been done that way for hundreds of years. Pottage, in English (from French potage) was traditionally cooked up with whatever additional ingredients came to hand each day, so statistically some of it could be weeks or months old

Quote:
View Post
Boiling it, so many times surely must reduce the nutritional content of that soup though?
Not sure about that. Pressure cooking was always supposed to be better than boiling, as nothing escapes. First ddg hit I found was this.

Your refrigerate policy is obviously better though, it's just about having enough space. We'll often freeze it if we're not going to finish it in a couple of days.
__________________
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #2096  
Old 14.01.2021, 13:39
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,899 Times in 723 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
I'm not advocating it as a best practice, but it's been done that way for hundreds of years. Pottage, in English (from French potage) was traditionally cooked up with whatever additional ingredients came to hand each day, so statistically some of it could be weeks or months old



Not sure about that. Pressure cooking was always supposed to be better than boiling, as nothing escapes. First ddg hit I found was this.

Your refrigerate policy is obviously better though, it's just about having enough space. We'll often freeze it if we're not going to finish it in a couple of days.

All clear
Reply With Quote
  #2097  
Old 15.01.2021, 20:17
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,017
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,155 Times in 621 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
I am a shower guy, but I have a bath and backside related question! So people who take bath, aren't they really in water that is contaminated by water that is touching their asshole and circulating on to their face and body? Irrespective of how good you wipe your ass?

The Exception would be if you take a full soap shower and then have a bath.
Quote:
View Post
Yes, of course, although you'd have to be a pretty ineffectual and unhygienic butt-wiper to leave enough faeces around your anus to cause any sort of a problem. Also, whatever dirt was on your skin remains in the closed system of the bath plus your body, so some of it is just redistributed on your skin.

But a bathtub holds on average around 94.6 litres of water (allowing room for the bather to enter and displace water); regrettably I couldn't find any academically robust data on the average quantity of faeces available post-toilet-use for dispersion in the bath, but I am confident that whatever minute quantity of faeces remains after you empty your bowels and wipe your anus would be diluted to homeopathic levels in a bath.

If you're truly concerned about this issue, use a bidet instead of toilet paper (I have no idea what you're supposed to do with that little towel after using the bidet), or better yet, take showers instead of baths. But for the sake of the environment, limit the shower to 10 minutes maximum, as showers use on average 9.5 litres of water per minute and it would be great to save water as well as improve hygiene, compared to using a bath.

All this talk of butt bacteria and baths - and people go swimming happily in the lake, where fish and birds and other animals wee and poo all the time! Not to mention small humans ...

Of course, being a swimming instructor for years, you get a bit blasé about stuff in water - I mean, there are very good reasons why public pools are chlorinated.

Oh, and for a longer shower: get a low-flow shower head. Despite what some people believe, getting clean is more down to the application of soap/shampoo/body wash than the pressure of the water. Temperature helps a bit, but not enough to make it viable to discontinue soap or some form of detergent.
Still, head lice die at about 50 degrees C, so if you run your water above that you'll rarely have lice, no matter how often you come in contact with infected people.

Last edited by Ace1; 16.01.2021 at 10:36. Reason: Removing the part copied to the other thread.
Reply With Quote
  #2098  
Old 16.01.2021, 12:07
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,072
Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,248 Times in 9,883 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

The water in the lake gets zapped by the sun's UV rays all day round, at least during the swimming season.

And then there is more of a balanced ecosystem, with other bacteria that are harmless to us digesting any bits of poo etc etc.

Also despite the kids and birds peeing in it, the overall mass of water is huge so the dilution level should be far greater.

They take our drinking water out of the lake you know ...
Reply With Quote
  #2099  
Old 28.01.2021, 14:05
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,899 Times in 723 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

I have 2 powerful PCs with 1000W power supply and multiple GPUs, powerful CPUs, multiple HDs etc. My yearly electricity bill is around CHF850.

My PCs are left ON 24/7. If I switch them off at night, how much money could I potentially save on my electricity bill? Just an educated guess?
Reply With Quote
  #2100  
Old 28.01.2021, 14:15
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,017
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,155 Times in 621 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
The water in the lake gets zapped by the sun's UV rays all day round, at least during the swimming season.

And then there is more of a balanced ecosystem, with other bacteria that are harmless to us digesting any bits of poo etc etc.

Also despite the kids and birds peeing in it, the overall mass of water is huge so the dilution level should be far greater.

They take our drinking water out of the lake you know ...
Yes, and I'm quite content with that - they do filter and treat it before it gets to our taps, after all. Also, as you said, the amount of nasty bacteria would be insufficient to overcome our systems, especially with the good bacteria we have within us helping out.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Average salary for post-doctoral scientist barish Employment 87 01.10.2008 14:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0