Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:20
latigresse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 692
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 724 Times in 329 Posts
latigresse has a reputation beyond reputelatigresse has a reputation beyond reputelatigresse has a reputation beyond reputelatigresse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
I don't know for sure, as I am a civilian and have never been there. I have seen a few Hollywood adaptations, but I don't think that makes me an expert. As I understand it, in this "war" in particular, it is very hard to know who your enemy is, as they aren't necessarily out there wearing uniforms. Wondering if the next person coming around the corner is going to try and kill me or if the next step I take I will step on some type of improvised explosive device would probably make me edgy and perhaps react in ways I could never have imagined here.
Totally agree about not being clear on who one's enemy is. Also don't forget the multiple and back-to-back tours of duty these troops were forced to do and the strain on them mentally. Some of these people are so FUBAR they can barely function now.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:20
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Just to cut this short, there's good and bad individuals in every nation therefore we cannot stereotype...but the truth is whenever politics is involved, things turn really ugly....that's why Americans become so obvious as violent / vicious
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:23
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

I'm supposed to be getting ready to go out but I feel the need to make it clear -

While I may seem to "defend" what happens in those clips to you, and while the American government or military may seem to cover up such things to do, it is part of American military culture (in which I grew up) to keep how we deal with such things as much private as possible - but punish the hell out of whomever did it.

You can be sure that people who do nasty dishonorable things (like urinating on enemy corpses) are in no way celebrated for that act at home.

Quote:
View Post
American army seems to be invading the whole world, they always initiate wars due to unclear reasons, and they do inhuman crimes as I can see in the videos up there - war against iraq, afghan,... is unfair unequal war.
Of course it seems that way, politics and the politics of journalism ensure this fact.


Quote:
View Post
One can never compare what Taliban may have done to what American army did.
What the Taliban "may have done"?

Now that's something.


Alas, the "face" of war is much different in the past 50 or so years than it used to be. People dressed as civilians, posing as innocents, until they surprise everyone with a nasty bomb. I don't suppose that happened much in WW1 or WW2, probably not really so much before that either, not that way.

I remember my father giving some commentary while we watched Platoon. Finally opening up some about some of his experiences or the experiences of his friends then, telling us what was overblown for Hollywood effect and what was pretty accurate. I don't know if it was similar as far back as Korea but certainly in Vietnam, they had some similar things happening, with innocents used as shields - and others appearing to be innocents to cause harm as well.

People in general have a great capacity to suck. People in high stress environments have great capacity to suck in really heinous ways. It's no excuse, but it happens.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BE
Posts: 250
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 371 Times in 144 Posts
misr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
I'm supposed to be getting ready to go out but I feel the need to make it clear -

While I may seem to "defend" what happens in those clips to you, and while the American government or military may seem to cover up such things to do, it is part of American military culture (in which I grew up) to keep how we deal with such things as much private as possible - but punish the hell out of whomever did it.

You can be sure that people who do nasty dishonorable things (like urinating on enemy corpses) are in no way celebrated for that act at home.



Of course it seems that way, politics and the politics of journalism ensure this fact.




What the Taliban "may have done"?

Now that's something.


Alas, the "face" of war is much different in the past 50 or so years than it used to be. People dressed as civilians, posing as innocents, until they surprise everyone with a nasty bomb. I don't suppose that happened much in WW1 or WW2, probably not really so much before that either, not that way.

I remember my father giving some commentary while we watched Platoon. Finally opening up some about some of his experiences or the experiences of his friends then, telling us what was overblown for Hollywood effect and what was pretty accurate. I don't know if it was similar as far back as Korea but certainly in Vietnam, they had some similar things happening, with innocents used as shields - and others appearing to be innocents to cause harm as well.

People in general have a great capacity to suck. People in high stress environments have great capacity to suck in really heinous ways. It's no excuse, but it happens.


And why american army are going to where these nasty self bombing civilians exist ?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:30
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
And why american army are going to where these nasty self bombing civilians exist ?
Imperial / strategic expansion and securing resources
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:36
Nelly_Da_Hefferlump's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 767
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 876 Times in 356 Posts
Nelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
American army seems to be invading the whole world, they always initiate wars due to unclear reasons, and they do inhuman crimes as I can see in the videos up there - war against iraq, afghan,... is unfair unequal war.

One can never compare what Taliban may have done to what American army did.
Without "touching" your personality I can tell that you have no idea of geography. The WHOLE world? Really? I think you should travel more and you'll find the whole world to be much bigger than a couple, not even ALL, the countries in the middle east.

I don't condone these actions. I think it's sick. Some of these people are really, really sick. But for everyone of these sick people you hear of soldiers putting their lives in danger to save a civilian. Don't judge an entire army by the actions of a handful of soldiers.

But at least they don't arm children or rape and murder entire villages of men, women and children like some armies have.
__________________
Warning: Dyslexic armed with a spellchecker : If yuo can raed tihs tehn dnot cmolpain to me aobut spleling.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:41
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
And why american army are going to where these nasty self bombing civilians exist ?
the simple answer is because their leader told them to.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:45
Motorschweitz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bassersdorf
Posts: 425
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 788 Times in 280 Posts
Motorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond reputeMotorschweitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
One can never compare what Taliban may have done to what American army did.
...





Good effort, you've gotten to 2 pages. I may have to give you a higher grade.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:48
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
Without "touching" your personality I can tell that you have no idea of geography. The WHOLE world? Really? I think you should travel more and you'll find the whole world to be much bigger than a couple, not even ALL, the countries in the middle east.

I don't condone these actions. I think it's sick. Some of these people are really, really sick. But for everyone of these sick people you hear of soldiers putting their lives in danger to save a civilian. Don't judge an entire army by the actions of a handful of soldiers.

But at least they don't arm children or rape and murder entire villages of men, women and children like some armies have.
I think you're wrong, US have over 750 bases in over 50 countries, that's not invasion in classical terms but if war stroke against the US, all those countries will be in trouble just for having US Mil Bases in them.

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:51
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post

If it happened once or twice or 100 times only we would say so, but google american army crimes and see what results you will get - I got
About 113,000,000 results - this what google says (Fair american company by the way so I am not against america )
do you think that means there are 113,000,000 separate events because that is how many google hits there are?

ps - ever see any videos of the Taliban at their public executions at soccer stadiums or how they murdered women or girls for going to school? They, are, by the way, the reason the US went into Afghanistan. Iraq there is really no good reason, I will admit.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:52
Nelly_Da_Hefferlump's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 767
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 876 Times in 356 Posts
Nelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
If it happened once or twice or 100 times only we would say so, but google american army crimes and see what results you will get - I got
About 113,000,000 results - this what google says (Fair american company by the way so I am not against america )
Google Somalia war crimes : About 50,100,000 results (0.32 seconds)
Congo war crimes: About 3,410,000 results (0.20 seconds)
Afghan war crimes: About 5,230,000 results (0.20 seconds)
Iranian war crimes :About 216,000,000 results (0.31 seconds)

By your measurement method I guess the Iranian's have the worst army. I guess what I am saying is, books are for research, the internet is for porn.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 25.02.2012, 19:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, no comment about the first part - but american army is doing this everywhere they go - that is why I was posting my question.

If it happened once or twice or 100 times only we would say so, but google american army crimes and see what results you will get - I got
About 113,000,000 results - this what google says (Fair american company by the way so I am not against america )
So assuming say 2 deaths per crime, that means the American army have killed 226000000 people - and that's only since google started recording it!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Taliban also hold the world record for the nicest daisy chain ever constructed by a set of beautiful children ? I'm sure they do you know.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 25.02.2012, 20:00
Nelly_Da_Hefferlump's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 767
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 876 Times in 356 Posts
Nelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond reputeNelly_Da_Hefferlump has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
I think you're wrong, US have over 750 bases in over 50 countries, that's not invasion in classical terms but if war stroke against the US, all those countries will be in trouble just for having US Mil Bases in them.
Now you are being deliberately obtuse. Just because the US has bases in other countries does not mean they are invading or at war with the locals. Maybe you should look into what countries like the US, UK, France etc etc use their army's for during times of peace. Ask the Haitians? Or half the countries in Africa. Just ask them who delivers their aid packages and helps rebuild their schools and hospitals.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 25.02.2012, 20:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BE
Posts: 250
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 371 Times in 144 Posts
misr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
do you think that means there are 113,000,000 separate events because that is how many google hits there are?

ps - ever see any videos of the Taliban at their public executions at soccer stadiums or how they murdered women or girls for going to school? They, are, by the way, the reason the US went into Afghanistan. Iraq there is really no good reason, I will admit.
Regardless of what any other Criminal has done, it reaches the extreme by killing.

What is really hard, and I wonder why after american army already killed (in unequal unfair situation) why they still continue taking revenge, and keeping doing inhuman things with dead people - already dead people killed by them.

what will they gain from that ? and what kind of stress can ever make a human being with top quality weapons, aircrafts and troups do this with people that has not even a piece of wooden stick to defend themselves


I did not open this post to fight against all who are posting here, really I aimed to find a clue to understand is that really something simple what has been done and what is still shown till today - at the end, the victims are very innocent individuals - we need to wake up that this is really rude.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 25.02.2012, 20:02
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
do you think that means there are 113,000,000 separate events because that is how many google hits there are?

ps - ever see any videos of the Taliban at their public executions at soccer stadiums or how they murdered women or girls for going to school? They, are, by the way, the reason the US went into Afghanistan. Iraq there is really no good reason, I will admit.
First of all Taliban is not Al Qaeda....there's a big difference.

Comparing Taliban (Which means Al Qaeda for you) to US Military is a very bad idea...cause the conclusion would be either consider Taliban as a disciplined army or consider US Military as Terrorists.

If Al Qaeda does something similar....it's because it's a criminal organization, it's expected from them and they deserve punishment for it, though the same act coming from the US Military is not acceptable at all because it is a disciplined army, they have strict rules of engagement and there's international protocols that limits them from doing so.

Therefore, US Military is definitely guilty in this case....just my 2 cents
__________________
Silence is an argument carried out by other means.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 25.02.2012, 20:09
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,422
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
Now you are being deliberately obtuse. Just because the US has bases in other countries does not mean they are invading or at war with the locals. Maybe you should look into what countries like the US, UK, France etc etc use their army's for during times of peace. Ask the Haitians? Or half the countries in Africa. Just ask them who delivers their aid packages and helps rebuild their schools and hospitals.
Is it because they love them?
Is it a charity?
Is it for the sake of the poor?

If you answered yes on any of these questions, then you might consider reading about politics.....it's a dirty game and no one does anything for free.....the reason is always either strategic deployment, securing resources or mutual benefits between governments....every $ spent have to be returned $$$$
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 25.02.2012, 20:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BE
Posts: 250
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 371 Times in 144 Posts
misr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
Yes, because we don't have videos of them being cruel. Sorry but the Taliban is an oppresive governing body who oppress women, children and their fellow citizens in general. To say the American army is worse is just naive.
If I may say it in a different way - we don't have enough clues as the ones we have against american army - but that was not my topic.

When someone fights another who is less power than him, we may think it is immoral

When someone plays with dead body and have fun with it, this is inhuman and insane.

I have not yet seen other than the american army playing with dead people in this very hard way.

I saw serians, and possibly other war criminals over the world they are really tough but they like a lot others stops at the death of the opponent.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 25.02.2012, 20:13
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,357
Groaned at 96 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
I saw serians, and possibly other war criminals over the world they are really tough but they like a lot others stops at the death of the opponent.
Are you absolutely 100% of sure of that, in all times and places? ARe you willing to stake your repuation on it (such as it is)? Is beheading soldiers and civilians considered respectful in your world?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 25.02.2012, 20:16
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,518
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
If it happened once or twice or 100 times only we would say so, but google american army crimes and see what results you will get - I got
About 113,000,000 results - this what google says (Fair american company by the way so I am not against america )
Funny, when I google american army crimes, as you wrote, I get about 110,000,000 hits indeed, which means that Google finds that many Internet pages that contain the three words, "American," "army," and "crimes," in some context whatsoever. That may include things like, say, "The rise of cyberspace crimes in certain countries of South America cannot be attributed to the increasing consumption of canned beer in the Chilean army."

However, when I google "american army crimes", within quotation marks, I get seven (SEVEN!!!!) hits. That means Google finds only seven pages that contain the phrase, "American Army crimes."

Using Google is not everybody's cup of tea.
__________________

"This is AMAZING! I have the exact amount of money Joe Biden has cost us playing golf in my sweatpants pocket!" — Kona Lowell

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 25.02.2012, 20:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BE
Posts: 250
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 371 Times in 144 Posts
misr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond reputemisr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Army !

Quote:
View Post
Funny, when I google american army crimes, as you wrote, I get about 110,000,000 hits indeed, which means that Google finds that many Internet pages that contain the three words, "American," "army," and "crimes," in some context whatsoever. That may include things like, say, "The rise of cyberspace crimes in certain countries of South America cannot be attributed to the increasing consumption of canned beer in the Chilean army."

However, when I google "american army crimes", within quotation marks, I get seven (SEVEN!!!!) hits. That means Google finds only seven pages that contain the phrase, "American Army crimes."

Using Google is not everybody's cup of tea.
apart of google, I can write down to you 100's of independent crime done by them, lots of documentry videos available - if we don't agree on that american army did lot of war crimes that can be an issue then

#


I wish american army had never done any crime, not for the sake of their reputation - we are all human, going to leave this earth and will be forgotton after some decades possibly, but for the sake of those innocent they killed for no reason - as one of them said, just for fun
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss Army carmengall Other/general 18 28.11.2010 23:17
Ex-Army FreeAtLast Employment 6 10.08.2010 05:09
Swiss Army Invasion swissbob Daily life 14 22.07.2010 21:04
Swiss Army Knife sankbhat Other/general 5 30.07.2009 14:23
Swiss army knives BenK Other/general 10 09.06.2008 22:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0