Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 13.06.2012, 18:57
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

For a while I had a member groaning all my posts giving me red blobbies I just laughed it off. I met the person at an event when we was introduced I offered to buy him a pint and he turned bright red lol.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 13.06.2012, 19:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,144
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,454 Times in 8,366 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
I just noticed that someone on this forum recently gave me a red blobbie for using the word "Gestapo" in a thread. He also wrote: "Think twice before using the word Gestapo."

I'm confused.

This same person has given me red blobbies before, which is fine but... I find him quite creepy because his reasoning never makes sense to me. He has even implied that he thinks his red blobbies are the virtual equivalent of "a death sentence." It's as though he can't handle anything that even slightly offends him. And I'm starting to feel a bit "picked on" by this guy, which is fine but... again, it's a bit creepy.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why I am not "allowed" to use the word "Gestapo?"

In my post, I had used it in a cynical and metaphorical context -- in reference to the fact that the Gestapo was harsh and cruel. So I guess I can only understand this guy's negative reaction if he was actually in support of the Gestapo.

Thanks!
It seems he has a "crush" on you..

Anyways, the analogy between Gestapo and Swiss kindergarten is offensive I guess, for the Swiss, particularly because you probably have no personal experience with the system. I don't know, it doesn't seem appropriate. But red blobs? Yeah, I guesss it's possible if that person was in a bad mood.
Most of us are touchy when it comes to our country, our culture etc etc etc Those who say that x nation or z people take that with "humour" should re-read their own posts.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 13.06.2012, 20:31
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,799
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
It seems he has a "crush" on you..

Anyways, the analogy between Gestapo and Swiss kindergarten is offensive I guess, for the Swiss, particularly because you probably have no personal experience with the system. I don't know, it doesn't seem appropriate. But red blobs? Yeah, I guesss it's possible if that person was in a bad mood.
Most of us are touchy when it comes to our country, our culture etc etc etc Those who say that x nation or z people take that with "humour" should re-read their own posts.
that's what everyone said my photo was posted on Ef yrs ago
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 13.06.2012, 21:01
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
It seems he has a "crush" on you..

Anyways, the analogy between Gestapo and Swiss kindergarten is offensive I guess, for the Swiss, particularly because you probably have no personal experience with the system. I don't know, it doesn't seem appropriate. But red blobs? Yeah, I guesss it's possible if that person was in a bad mood.
Most of us are touchy when it comes to our country, our culture etc etc etc Those who say that x nation or z people take that with "humour" should re-read their own posts.
If it is who I think it is, he has no sense of humor and gives out red blobbies like they are candy. If others were a generous with the red as he is, it would take years for him to recover.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 13.06.2012, 21:06
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 286 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 10,693 Times in 4,012 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
If it is who I think it is, he has no sense of humor and gives out red blobbies like they are candy. If others were a generous with the red as he is, it would take years for him to recover.
Yeah, it probably is who you think it is. He also likes to say that he will "teach you" when he gives the blobbies... and is irrationally condescending (or tries to be at least).
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 14.06.2012, 00:07
Kamarate's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 1,914
Groaned at 57 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 1,619 Times in 685 Posts
Kamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond reputeKamarate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

That last post made me literally laugh out loud. Brilliant!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 14.06.2012, 00:48
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, it probably is who you think it is. He also likes to say that he will "teach you" when he gives the blobbies... and is irrationally condescending (or tries to be at least).
Put him on ignore then you won't even see his reds. I did that a long time ago. One of the few people I've ever red blobbied. Ok, yes, it was just to get him back. In my defense he is also one of the only ones who's ever red blobbied me!*

I think at this point he's the only one I have on ignore too. Wow. Look how special he is!




*And yes, I know. I sound like I'm in high school!!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 14.06.2012, 08:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,144
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,454 Times in 8,366 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
Put him on ignore then you won't even see his reds. I did that a long time ago. One of the few people I've ever red blobbied. Ok, yes, it was just to get him back. In my defense he is also one of the only ones who's ever red blobbied me!*

I think at this point he's the only one I have on ignore too. Wow. Look how special he is!




*And yes, I know. I sound like I'm in high school!!
That's what I did with someone who gave me the first red blob because in a context where everyone was criticizing the Swiss (you know - laundry time, appointments with friends made months in advance etc) I said something like "Siwss are OK, really, but my goal in life is not becoming a Swiss, i can manage with who I am"..then that person chased me around EF to give me more red blobs. Thankfully, she's not around anymore, but I guess she has moved to "the other side"...Moah aha haha!!!

*Mia, it0s not high school, it's kindergarten playground.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 14.06.2012, 08:46
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
If it is who I think it is, he has no sense of humor and gives out red blobbies like they are candy. If others were a generous with the red as he is, it would take years for him to recover.
Well if it is who I think it is, there is no way he has a crush on her.

Does it comes with an educational comments with the red?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 14.06.2012, 09:21
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
I just noticed that someone on this forum recently gave me a red blobbie for using the word "Gestapo" in a thread. He also wrote: "Think twice before using the word Gestapo."

I'm confused.

This same person has given me red blobbies before, which is fine but... I find him quite creepy because his reasoning never makes sense to me. He has even implied that he thinks his red blobbies are the virtual equivalent of "a death sentence." It's as though he can't handle anything that even slightly offends him. And I'm starting to feel a bit "picked on" by this guy, which is fine but... again, it's a bit creepy.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why I am not "allowed" to use the word "Gestapo?"

In my post, I had used it in a cynical and metaphorical context -- in reference to the fact that the Gestapo was harsh and cruel. So I guess I can only understand this guy's negative reaction if he was actually in support of the Gestapo.

Thanks!
The GESTAPO (Geheime Staatspolizei) in the Soviet Zone was replaced by the STASI (Staatssicherheitsdienst). You may have noticed that in the Concentration Camps of the Third German Empire (Drittes Reich) there were, beside Jews and Gypsies a serious number of Socialists and Communists among the victims, and that was the "achievement" of the GESTAPO. A totalitarian instrument of a totalitarian state.

Therefore, to compare some a bit impudent policemen or some a bit arrogant state bureaucracy officials with the GESTAPO is bad . Sure, people who lived in the Eastern Block area between 1948 and 1990 can tell you more about the topic, also people who lived in Iran between 1956 and 1979 and 79 and now (plus too many other countries of that kind)

Never use comparisons with the GESTAPO in letters, as such things can bring you to court
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 14.06.2012, 11:16
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 286 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 10,693 Times in 4,012 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
The GESTAPO (Geheime Staatspolizei) in the Soviet Zone was replaced by the STASI (Staatssicherheitsdienst). You may have noticed that in the Concentration Camps of the Third German Empire (Drittes Reich) there were, beside Jews and Gypsies a serious number of Socialists and Communists among the victims, and that was the "achievement" of the GESTAPO. A totalitarian instrument of a totalitarian state.

Therefore, to compare some a bit impudent policemen or some a bit arrogant state bureaucracy officials with the GESTAPO is bad . Sure, people who lived in the Eastern Block area between 1948 and 1990 can tell you more about the topic, also people who lived in Iran between 1956 and 1979 and 79 and now (plus too many other countries of that kind)
I should have known that would be coming...
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 14.06.2012, 11:32
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
But basically, in my post, I had metaphorically (and cynically) related the Swiss Kindergarten system to the Gestapo, after someone had received a letter telling them that they needed to attend a hearing. Perhaps it wasn't the best analogy, but I certainly didn't expect my use of the word "Gestapo" to seriously offend anyone.
Without knowing more about it, maybe simply because the Gestapo were responsible for maiming, torturing and killing thousands of people through the second world war and your analogy was deemed inapproproate or not very good, given that that's not really going to happen at a school hearing related to kindergarten?

Just a thought.

As for being allowed to use the word, yes you are allowed to, but keep in mind that there are still a lot of sensitivities around drawing analogies to anything related to the WWII, especially with respect to facism, Hitler, Nazis and the Gestapo.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 14.06.2012, 11:40
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 286 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 10,693 Times in 4,012 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

I didn't intend it to be a "correct" analogy. Do you really believe that I think Swiss Kindergartens are the actual equivalent of the Gestapo?

If someone can't pick up on the obvious sarcasm of my comment, then I think the problem is theirs -- not mine.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 14.06.2012, 12:27
prof. taratonga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich & Bignasco
Posts: 2,310
Groaned at 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 4,546 Times in 1,441 Posts
prof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

If you think the history of GESTAPO ended after WWII you are wrong:
Attached Thumbnails
can-someone-please-enlighten-me-black_gestapo_poster_01.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 14.06.2012, 12:31
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
@Minimia: Maybe that is true.. I do not know all the facts about Gestapo (apart from what I have seen on TV and the history books)... But I got a lot or flak elsewhere for using Swastika as my username and symbol.. A lot of people in Europe associate Swastika with only Nazis, but they forget that it is an ancient 5000 year old symbol of my country and it is not uncommon to find shops and enterprises there named so.. Just because it was stolen and used for some horrific acts does not mean that it loses its original meaning (which is "good being")... It is easy to be short sighted and forget the larger picture...

Anyways, I feel that everything is all in the eyes of the observer.. And let us move on...
So you were with the Finnish air force?

Or you worked for Carlsberg

Or did you print Russian banknotes?

Or work for ASEA?

(all organisations who used the swastika before the Nazis did)

There are and were also lots of decent and nice people throughout history called Adolf. But if you called your son that, would you blame people for making the wrong associations and drawing the wrong conclusions? Would you call them short-sighted?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 14.06.2012, 13:04
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
I didn't intend it to be a "correct" analogy. Do you really believe that I think Swiss Kindergartens are the actual equivalent of the Gestapo?

If someone can't pick up on the obvious sarcasm of my comment, then I think the problem is theirs -- not mine
WTF!?!

What's the point of an incorrect analogy.

Where's my face palm image...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 14.06.2012, 13:21
lmerkel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corseaux
Posts: 316
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 249 Times in 114 Posts
lmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputation
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Despite the 'crush', 'red blobbies', etc. And it has gotten off track as usual. Never refer to the Nazis, Gestapo, the Reich, or anything to do with WW2 or Hitler. The Swiss and most people in Europe are very sensitive to the situation.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 14.06.2012, 13:23
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
Despite the 'crush', 'red blobbies', etc. And it has gotten off track as usual. Never refer to the Nazis, Gestapo, the Reich, or anything to do with WW2 or Hitler. The Swiss and most people in Europe are very sensitive to the situation.
Well, there' something called Godwin's Law for a start.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 14.06.2012, 13:40
lmerkel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corseaux
Posts: 316
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 249 Times in 114 Posts
lmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputationlmerkel has an excellent reputation
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
Well, there' something called Godwin's Law for a start.
Yep, forgotten about the inevitability. But first thing I read about the Swiss when learning the culture, was DO NOT make any reference to the war or bring it up. A bit of guilt and 'acquiring' Jewish assets, possibly harboring Nazis.....so no reference.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 14.06.2012, 13:53
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,623
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,926 Times in 5,543 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please enlighten me...

Quote:
View Post
Yep, forgotten about the inevitability. But first thing I read about the Swiss when learning the culture, was DO NOT make any reference to the war or bring it up. A bit of guilt and 'acquiring' Jewish assets, possibly harboring Nazis.....so no reference.
20 Shades of Grau in Switzerland? It was a terrible time and people just want to move on. However, the older folks would be glad to share any WWII stories but remember, most stories are about rationing and tougher financial times.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone please help me to understand this Type D visa? logout Permits/visas/government 7 26.11.2012 15:39
Please Enlighten me! RuthKC Introductions 13 14.09.2011 19:40
Please someone enlighten me on the swiss system [German speeding fine enquiry] l2thez Transportation/driving 13 21.12.2010 10:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0