Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.08.2012, 09:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for all your answers guys, very much appreciated :-) I've just talked to ny sister she got her doctor to sign it and hes german buuuuuuut! hes in germany!!! So that might not work here right, as switzerland is not in the EU or commonwealth aaaaaargh! I've never had so much trouble in a land as this one!!! A right Cock up!!! lol
If he's German he falls into the EU category so his signature is acceptable. I don't know why you find it so complicated. All he has to do is copy the text from the form onto the back of the photo and sign the form indicating his profession. It's not a difficult procedure. Did you read through the Guidance Notes which you are supposed to print out with the passport form?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09.08.2012, 09:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uster
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ginger80 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Passport Brit

Im just gonna risk it if they dint accept it *shrugs* UK authorities for ya lol
Will try and get my Gemeinde to sign it. Thx again guys.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09.08.2012, 09:58
darkhorsedrea's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uster
Posts: 800
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 290 Posts
darkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to come in on your thread. Does this apply for a babies first passport? We want to apply for the British one when the baby is born in October but I don't know anyone British here.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09.08.2012, 10:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
Sorry to come in on your thread. Does this apply for a babies first passport? We want to apply for the British one when the baby is born in October but I don't know anyone British here.
Yes. We got the same Swiss person to countersign my son's form/photo and it was accepted. The only proviso is (obviously) that the signatory has to have known you for two years.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09.08.2012, 10:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uster
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ginger80 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Passport Brit

Hiya Sandground,

as I said in the previous Post, my sisters passport was countersigned by a german doctor in Germany! 5 hours drive from here So I dont know what to do? You think the will accept the countersignature fro
the Gemeinde?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09.08.2012, 10:08
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
For the past two renewals of passport I have made since I've lived here I have used Swiss nationals to countersign my form/photographs and it has been accepted each time.
That's my experience as well. With the last renewal I did my Swiss doctor countersigned it and it went through without any problems whatsoever.

I can't say for sure, but it could well be that this kind of thing is covered with the bilateral agreements.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09.08.2012, 10:10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
Hiya Sandground,

as I said in the previous Post, my sisters passport was countersigned by a german doctor in Germany! 5 hours drive from here So I dont know what to do? You think the will accept the countersignature fro
the Gemeinde?
Has the Gemeinde known you personally for 2 years? You are best to get someone who knows you, is either British, EU or Swiss, is a professional and is willing to sign for you.

What about your employer? Language school teacher? Someone in your apartment block who is a teacher/doctor/lawyer/architect/accountant or similar?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09.08.2012, 10:27
darkhorsedrea's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uster
Posts: 800
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 290 Posts
darkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond reputedarkhorsedrea has a reputation beyond repute
You see that's the problem. I've only been here a year.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09.08.2012, 10:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uster
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ginger80 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for all your answers guys, very much appreciated :-) I've just talked to ny sister she got her doctor to sign it and hes german buuuuuuut! hes in germany!!! So that might not work here right, as switzerland is not in the EU or commonwealth aaaaaargh! I've never had so much trouble in a land as this one!!! A right Cock up!!! lol
Ill just get my Doctor to sign it Hes known me for 4 years now Thanks Sandgrounder
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09.08.2012, 10:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
You see that's the problem. I've only been here a year.
In that case you might have to just post the form and photos back to someone in the UK and they will have to post it back to you.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09.08.2012, 11:05
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
They should not and may not accept a Swiss countersignatory as Switzerland is neither in the EU or the Commonwealth. I just checked on Wikipedia so I'm sure about that
Yes this is out of date. Got my child's passport renewed with a counter signature from a Swiss person.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 29.08.2012, 12:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uster
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ginger80 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Passport Brit

Hey guys,

just a quick update on the Passport The british embassy in Paris called a couple of days ago and needed that authorisation form so I faxed it and further asked if theres any news on my application regarding the passport the nice lady said that I will have no problem getting my passport and the signature from my swiss doctor has been accepted Its all ok now I just have to wait till its been sent :-) Thanks again all for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 29.08.2012, 13:13
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,492
Groaned at 251 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 22,681 Times in 9,265 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passport Brit

I didn't think you needed to have the application countersigned if it was for an adult renewal unless your apearance has changed dramatically in the new photo.
I renewed my passport via the Paris embassy whilst still living in Belgium without having any counter signatures. We did have to get them for our son though who was 10 at the time.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 29.08.2012 at 14:28.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 29.08.2012, 13:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Uster
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ginger80 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Passport Brit

Hiya,

no I don't think you have to, see until I was 8 years old I was included in my dads passport and I haven't had one since. So I applied for my first adult passport for which you NEED the countersignature .
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 29.08.2012, 14:29
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,492
Groaned at 251 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 22,681 Times in 9,265 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
Hiya,

no I don't think you have to, see until I was 8 years old I was included in my dads passport and I haven't had one since. So I applied for my first adult passport for which you NEED the countersignature .
Ah Ok I hadn't realised it was a first passport application for you.

But lots of people on the thread are talking about countersignatories for renewals and for that it's not necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 29.08.2012, 14:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 22 Times in 6 Posts
sinbad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Passport Brit

you have to go to the notary there is one in every gemeinde that should do the job for you i had the same problem.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 29.08.2012, 16:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
But lots of people on the thread are talking about countersignatories for renewals and for that it's not necessary.
The photo needs a countersignatory to state that it is a true likeness and there is a section on the form which also has to be filled out by them, even in renewals. I just did mine in March.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 29.08.2012, 21:07
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,543
Groaned at 424 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,604 Times in 9,861 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
The photo needs a countersignatory to state that it is a true likeness and there is a section on the form which also has to be filled out by them, even in renewals. I just did mine in March.
No, it doesn't. I did mine in May, didn't get any countersignatures on anything and passport was back within a few weeks. Would have been quicker, except I wrote my credit card number down wrong so they had to check that with me.

It says in the Steps to Renew your Adult Passport (for applicants over 16) section:

What passport photographs do I need?


You need to provide
  • two identical passport sized photographs. These must comply with the IPS Rules for Photographs (PDF 693KB).
  • Countersignatures on the back of your photographs are not necessary and the countersignature box on the application form does not need to be completed if your appearance has not changed significantly since your previous passport was issued.
As you have to send your old passport back anyway as a supporting document they can check that against the new photo and if they want photos to be countersigned then they'll contact you, would be my guess.

Ginger80, if you haven't had a passport since you were 8 how did you get into Switzerland in the first place? Do you have another nationality?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 29.08.2012, 21:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Passport Brit

Quote:
View Post
No, it doesn't. I did mine in May, didn't get any countersignatures on anything and passport was back within a few weeks. Would have been quicker, except I wrote my credit card number down wrong so they had to check that with me.

It says in the Steps to Renew your Adult Passport (for applicants over 16) section:

What passport photographs do I need?


You need to provide
  • two identical passport sized photographs. These must comply with the IPS Rules for Photographs (PDF 693KB).
  • Countersignatures on the back of your photographs are not necessary and the countersignature box on the application form does not need to be completed if your appearance has not changed significantly since your previous passport was issued.
As you have to send your old passport back anyway as a supporting document they can check that against the new photo and if they want photos to be countersigned then they'll contact you, would be my guess.

Ginger80, if you haven't had a passport since you were 8 how did you get into Switzerland in the first place? Do you have another nationality?
Bloody hell - good to know, although I fear the next time I need to renew I'll have a battered old hag appearance so will probably still have to get the countersignatures.

This is what comes of trying to fill in a passport form on your lap whilst being blasted by CBeebies and listening to a running commentary by a small child.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 29.08.2012, 21:52
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,543
Groaned at 424 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 17,604 Times in 9,861 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passport Brit

Must admit I was worried about it until I found that on the site. I don't know anyone in the UK or Switzerland who could do that for me now. Haven't lived in the UK for 14 years, our doctor here has retired and, luckily, we haven't needed the new one. Might have gotten away with it if I'd tried the notary who did our house purchase, but that was only in May last year so not really long enough.

I think it's time they updated the rules so that it can be anyone who has known you for that time. After all anyone can say they're a director, chartered surveyor, etc, and how would they know? Are they actually checking every application against every registery for these professions to make sure? Are signatures actually included in the registeries? I doubt it so how do they know?

At least it's good to know they'll accept foreign signatories if you don't know any UK ones.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brit car show ? grynch Transportation/driving 13 03.10.2011 13:29
Brit Pop karaoke johnnyd1969 Commercial events 0 19.04.2011 00:35
brit store? Cloudy Bay Food and drink 8 06.02.2009 18:11
[passport/permit] Spouse Swiss, will I get a passport automatically? tonyfinn Permits/visas/government 40 11.05.2008 23:16
Passport help [name change to Swiss passport] Mikayla Permits/visas/government 4 14.04.2008 05:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0