Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4061  
Old 18.03.2019, 14:53
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Why does it matter what type of firearm was used? NL appears to have moderately strict gun control laws (for Europe), though I do not know exactly where they fall wrt the rest of the EU.

And by the way, just because you have put it in quotes doesn't mean YOU aren't calling Loz an arsehole... but, of course, you know that. What "gets on my tits" is the level of anger expressed towards anyone who doesn't follow the EF narrative. Grow up!

Quote:
Probably best to wait for the details on the firearm used before "being an arsehole". Handguns are legal in the Netherlands for hunters and target shooters. The fact bystanders were able to count the amount of shots (3) suggests it wasn't anything automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #4062  
Old 18.03.2019, 14:54
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,887
Groaned at 312 Times in 210 Posts
Thanked 20,395 Times in 8,578 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Quite a difference between "several people hurt" and 50 dead tho
probably more to the fact that the guy fired a few shots and ran off versus hung around for a while shooting bodies to make sure they are dead.
Reply With Quote
  #4063  
Old 18.03.2019, 14:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Obviously. But you can influence how many "as many as possible" actually are. And just as obviously, easy access to semi or fully automatic guns increases that number. In the Kunming attack in 2014, for instance, each knife-weilding attacker killed 4 "only".
Quote:
View Post
Quite a difference between "several people hurt" and 50 dead tho
It's like Nice and Manchester Arena never happened.
Reply With Quote
  #4064  
Old 18.03.2019, 14:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
Probably best to wait for the details on the firearm used before "being an arsehole". Handguns are legal in the Netherlands for hunters and target shooters. The fact bystanders were able to count the amount of shots (3) suggests it wasn't anything automatic.
Is this now a thing? We can call people what we want on here as long as it's in inverted commas.
Reply With Quote
  #4065  
Old 18.03.2019, 15:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

So what‘s the EF narrative? I‘m wondering if it‘s the same for all people?


So far, Utrecht has one dead, multiple injuries and the police have surrounded a building where they suspect the shooter might
Reply With Quote
  #4066  
Old 18.03.2019, 15:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.Zh
Posts: 12,558
Groaned at 494 Times in 409 Posts
Thanked 19,965 Times in 10,088 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
So what‘s the EF narrative? I‘m wondering if it‘s the same for all people?
Sliiiightly alt-right...not too much though. Still sufferable. Oh, and at times painfully..."neu-left". We cover all bases.
Reply With Quote
  #4067  
Old 18.03.2019, 15:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,873
Groaned at 721 Times in 528 Posts
Thanked 14,892 Times in 7,802 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
It's like Nice and Manchester Arena never happened.
There's no sense of power (empowerment?) in driving a truck into a building or pushing the button that blows up a bomb. Plus, you need easy access with sufficient speed to use a truck effectively, assuming the prayer room can be rammed into easily enough to begin with.

As for explosives, well, they usually are tightly regulated, perhaps with the exception of the US. A quick search brings up a PDF from Nov 2017 on NZ's Health and Safety at Work Act. It starts with:

Quote:
Licensing Requirements for Class 1 Explosives

Class 1 explosives need to be handled safely by people who have sufficient knowledge and practical skills and meet certain character requirements.
So there you have it, explosives require a license, proper handling and storage, probably some course or other, perhaps a test. And they require certain character requirements traits (could be as little as a clean crime record for all I know).

This is exactly what people pro guncontrol say should apply to guns as well. Thank you for helping me make my case.

Last edited by Urs Max; 18.03.2019 at 17:19. Reason: character traits, not requirements
Reply With Quote
  #4068  
Old 18.03.2019, 15:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
So what‘s the EF narrative? I‘m wondering if it‘s the same for all people?
I'm guessing Katie Hopkins is to blame.

https://twitter.com/PolitieUtrecht/s...32105780113408

Reply With Quote
  #4069  
Old 18.03.2019, 15:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Why does it matter what type of firearm was used? NL appears to have moderately strict gun control laws (for Europe), though I do not know exactly where they fall wrt the rest of the EU.

And by the way, just because you have put it in quotes doesn't mean YOU aren't calling Loz an arsehole... but, of course, you know that. What "gets on my tits" is the level of anger expressed towards anyone who doesn't follow the EF narrative. Grow up!
Right, basic English lesson. Calling someone an arsehole and saying they are being an arsehole are two very different things. One is definitive, whilst the other is transient. Do I know Loz at all in real life? No, so I wouldn't presume to know his character in any more depth than the façade he puts on for the EF. Do I think making a tasteless, attempted point-scoring jibe about gun control when people are getting shot to death (or "just" injury perhaps in NL) is arsehole behavior? Yup.

Firearm point, as mentioned above, is that if the shooters had access to something more powerful / rapidly firing / larger magazine, it could well have been much worse, as it was in Chch.

Quote:
View Post
Is this now a thing? We can call people what we want on here as long as it's in inverted commas.
As you rightly noticed, I was quoting 22Y since you had repeated the pattern of behavior that had caused the accusation. See above for further explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #4070  
Old 18.03.2019, 15:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
I'm guessing Katie Hopkins is to blame.

https://twitter.com/PolitieUtrecht/s...32105780113408

I don't think that's Katie Hopkins. I know she's no oil painting but...
Reply With Quote
  #4071  
Old 18.03.2019, 15:56
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

While I agree with you on the difference between definitive and transient statements while engaged in civilised discourse, on most internet fora with any type of code of conduct for using insulting language… there is no difference. But don’t worry - you are on the “right” side of the EF narrative where there are no consequences for bad behaviour.

Quote:
Right, basic English lesson. Calling someone an arsehole and saying they are being an arsehole are two very different things. One is definitive, whilst the other is transient. Do I know Loz at all in real life? No, so I wouldn't presume to know his character in any more depth than the façade he puts on for the EF. Do I think making a tasteless, attempted point-scoring jibe about gun control when people are getting shot to death (or "just" injury perhaps in NL) is arsehole behavior? Yup.
Reply With Quote
  #4072  
Old 18.03.2019, 15:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
While I agree with you on the difference between definitive and transient statements while engaged in civilised discourse, on most internet fora with any type of code of conduct for using insulting language… there is no difference. But don’t worry - you are on the “right” side of the EF narrative where there are no consequences for bad behaviour.
For example?
Reply With Quote
  #4073  
Old 18.03.2019, 16:02
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Post #4041, for a start. But as you "fail to see the aggression" there, I might as well be replying to the wall.

Quote:
For example?
Reply With Quote
  #4074  
Old 18.03.2019, 16:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Post #4041, for a start. But as you "fail to see the aggression" there, I might as well be replying to the wall.
OK, I get what you mean. So something like this kind of aggression..?
Reply With Quote
  #4075  
Old 18.03.2019, 16:21
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

If you seriously do not read the difference in tone between these two sentences, then I really don't see the point in further discussion. Sorry (and I say this with the utmost sincerity), but I don't understand where you are coming from in this particular case.

Quote:
OK, I get what you mean. So something like this kind of aggression..?
Reply With Quote
  #4076  
Old 18.03.2019, 16:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
If you seriously do not read the difference in tone between these two sentences, then I really don't see the point in further discussion. Sorry (and I say this with the utmost sincerity), but I don't understand where you are coming from in this particular case.
So a user telling a mod to apologise on behalf of his countryman for the massacre of 50 people, therefore inferring that he had something to do with it is not as bad as a mod telling a user who consistently makes bad taste and basically meaningless posts they are acting like an arsehole and is therefore not acceptable?

Based on that, how do you then define the "EF narrative" you'd like to see on here?

Reply With Quote
  #4077  
Old 18.03.2019, 16:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Quite a difference between "several people hurt" and 50 dead tho
I would not call 3 confirmed deaths "several people hurt"
Reply With Quote
  #4078  
Old 18.03.2019, 16:44
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,485
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Oh, please... I don't think I have ever seen aggression in any of MCs posts, let alone telling someone to go somewhere else.
Thanks, f. If you disagree with the mob, you get your grammar scrutinized, watch out. The fact that people feel strong in a group is not new.

I totally agree with you, btw. Loz is not doing anything wrong and people will keep badgering him for having a different opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #4079  
Old 18.03.2019, 16:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
I would not call 3 confirmed deaths "several people hurt"
I think that post was made before the death toll was reported.
Reply With Quote
  #4080  
Old 18.03.2019, 16:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

So far we know:

The guy they are looking for has been involved in an earlier shooting incident, and was in a court hearing for rape just two weeks ago. Motive is still unclear, several witnesses declare that he shouted Allah Akbar, but he also had declared previously that he wanted to kill his sister in law the main target was a woman wearing a kerchief, so could be terroristic, could be relational, could be just someone who simply freaked out (actually business as usual in the Netherlands), There is no doubt about this guy since he appears on the safety cams of the tram.

3 killed and 9 wounded of which 3 critical/seriously.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida, gay, isis, killed, muslim students, shooting, usa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My boss is a.......(fill in the gap) goombie General off-topic 35 28.01.2011 15:55
Recreational Shooting in the Geneva canton MAWLER Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 9 31.08.2010 17:04
What just happened please i could not access the forum Sutter Forum support 44 25.05.2009 20:03
Do I need to fill in Tax forms for the US? Roe Finance/banking/taxation 14 18.06.2008 19:17
What's just happened to the Swiss Franc? Tim Finance/banking/taxation 7 08.05.2007 17:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0