Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:03
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,230
Groaned at 91 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 2,518 Times in 807 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
I have NEVER commented in this thread about whether or not he should go to jail. I think it is probably an over-reaction.
Well you probably should have made that clearer from the beginning instead of posting a dozen posts aligning yourself with people who want him thrown in jail.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you that the joke crossed a line, was in bad taste, was unfunny, etc, what we're all talking about here is the punishment for telling a joke that crosses the line.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:10
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Yes, we can say that is wrong, but should the guy have gone to jail for it? No. No way, that's a crime.

I agree to some control when say entire sections of society are ground down and idiots refuse to see it, and although some people complain about PC all the time, no one goes to jail for making a racist joke on the internet, if you use it to bully employees or deny people services, or continually harrass someone, that's another thing, but people are idiots, we all have views that are offensive to others in some form, and we can't go around arresting people for making jokes to friends and aquaintances

See, the problem was, that it wasn't just to his friends and acquaintances, it was something that was open to the public - I'd hardly think his friends would have reported him to the police, eh?

He made a sick joke, and also apparently "made comments of a sexually explicit nature" about her. Who the f thinks it's okay in any realm to make sexually explicit comments about five year old children? This is not a freedom of speech issue, this an idiot making idiotic comments that should never have been made, but he thought they were funny because he was drunk.

Quote:
Martina Jay, prosecuting, said: "When interviewed by police he fully admitted he posted messages about the two missing children. He started this idea when he was at a friend's house when drinking, saw a joke on Sickipedia and changed it slightly. He said he did it in a bid to make people think his account had been hacked. He said it got out of hand and he was drunk while doing it."
Making a sick, distasteful joke to your friends is one thing... if he painted it on a white sheet and hung it on the wall of his house (which is essentially what he did) would probably have netted a pretty fierce response from the public and law officials as well.

People need to stop thinking that the internet is a "just between friends" thing and realize that it's tantamount to standing in the town square shouting at the top of your lungs. If you wouldn't scream any and everything in the town square, or write it on a huge sign and plant it in your front yard, you shouldn't post it to the internet. (Of course, from my observations and experience, when alcohol comes into play, some bets are off. )
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry

Last edited by Peg A; 09.10.2012 at 12:25.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:16
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
See, the problem was, that it wasn't just to his friends and acquaintances, it was something that was open to the public - I'd hardly think his friends would have reported him to the police, eh?

He made a sick joke, and also apparently "made comments of a sexually explicit nature" about her. Who the f thinks it's okay in any realm to make sexually explicit comments about five year old children? This is not a freedom of speech issue, this an idiot making idiotic comments that should never have been made, but he thought they were funny because he was drunk.
Did he send it to the family?

And people go on about the internet being public, yes it is, but are you so arrogant to assume your posts on the internet are read by everybody in the world?
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:18
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
People need to stop thinking that the internet is a "just between friends" thing and realize that it's tantamount to standing in the town square shouting at the top of your lungs. If you wouldn't scream any any everything in the town square, or write it on a huge sign and plant it in your front yard, you shouldn't post it to the internet. (Of course, from my observations and experience, when alcohol comes into play, some bets are off. )
Do you think that you are speaking on behalf of the moral majority or are you just being self-righteous on a Tuesday?
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:21
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,904
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,513 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
People need to stop thinking that the internet is a "just between friends" thing and realize that it's tantamount to standing in the town square shouting at the top of your lungs. If you wouldn't scream any any everything in the town square, or write it on a huge sign and plant it in your front yard, you shouldn't post it to the internet. (Of course, from my observations and experience, when alcohol comes into play, some bets are off. )
OMFG, this a clueless statement. No people do not need to stop thinking as the internet as a medium between friends, because, mostly, that's exactly what it is. I bet you couldn't find what the guy down the street from you is posting on his blog, you wouldn't hear a word of what he was saying unless you searched for it.

The guy wasn't running a major site read by millions of people, he wasn't famous.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:24
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
See, the problem was, that it wasn't just to his friends and acquaintances, it was something that was open to the public - I'd hardly think his friends would have reported him to the police, eh?

He made a sick joke, and also apparently "made comments of a sexually explicit nature" about her. Who the f thinks it's okay in any realm to make sexually explicit comments about five year old children? This is not a freedom of speech issue, this an idiot making idiotic comments that should never have been made, but he thought they were funny because he was drunk.

Making a sick, distasteful joke to your friends is one thing... if he painted it on a white sheet and hung it on the wall of his house (which is essentially what he did) would probably have netted a pretty fierce response from the public and law officials as well.

People need to stop thinking that the internet is a "just between friends" thing and realize that it's tantamount to standing in the town square shouting at the top of your lungs. If you wouldn't scream any any everything in the town square, or write it on a huge sign and plant it in your front yard, you shouldn't post it to the internet. (Of course, from my observations and experience, when alcohol comes into play, some bets are off. )
Your facebook page, which is where the news report suggest he posted the jokes, is not open to the public, but to the persons in your friends list i.e. a few thousand people at best.

The details are not clear, but either yes, one of his "friends" on facebook told the police, or, as other rumours suggest, one of his "friends" posted it somewhere else, and then so on. Apparently it may have been posted in a support group, as a screen shot, so the original poster was blamed, again, not in news but on public forums.

And correction: he pasted jokes of which the content contained sexuallly explicit nature about the girl(s). He did not make personal sexually explicit comments about her.
__________________
Small minds are concerned with the extraordinary, great minds with the ordinary, Blaise Pascal
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:27
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
OMFG, this a clueless statement. No people do not need to stop thinking as the internet as a medium between friends, because, mostly, that's exactly what it is. I bet you couldn't find what the guy down the street from you is posting on his blog, you wouldn't hear a word of what he was saying unless you searched for it.

The guy wasn't running a major site read by millions of people, he wasn't famous.
No, that site was run by sickipedia, where he got the jokes from. But thats ok, they are allowed to post it there as its only accessible by the world, not published to the world. He published it to his friends, which is where the crime has taken place. Maybe if he posted a link to the site he got it from, then he would be ok, who knows.

I just think its silly that the guy is getting arressted for publishing a joke to an audience far smaller than the audience who have seen the joke now. Where is the sense in that?
__________________
Small minds are concerned with the extraordinary, great minds with the ordinary, Blaise Pascal
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:30
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Your facebook page, which is where the news report suggest he posted the jokes, is not open to the public, but to the persons in your friends list i.e. a few thousand people at best.

The details are not clear, but either yes, one of his "friends" on facebook told the police, or, as other rumours suggest, one of his "friends" posted it somewhere else, and then so on. Apparently it may have been posted in a support group, as a screen shot, so the original poster was blamed, again, not in news but on public forums.

And correction: he pasted jokes of which the content contained sexuallly explicit nature about the girl(s). He did not make personal sexually explicit comments about her.
Do you use facebook? Yes, you can set it so only your friends see it - or you can set it so everyone can see what you wrote. Are you likely to go looking at facebook pages of people you don't even know? No, and neither am I. But one thing that does happen is that friends who don't have their security settings clamped down tight enough is that it is possible for friends of friends posts to be spread to you. Perhaps this is how it was seen (and spread).

Ah well, I don't happen to think the boy should have gone to jail over it anyhow. He's an idiot who deserves a pop in the mouth along with a swift kick to the jimmies, not jail time. (But I hardly think it's "nothing" either.)
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:35
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Do you use facebook? Yes, you can set it so only your friends see it - or you can set it so everyone can see what you wrote. Are you likely to go looking at facebook pages of people you don't even know? No, and neither am I. But one thing that does happen is that friends who don't have their security settings clamped down tight enough is that it is possible for friends of friends posts to be spread to you. Perhaps this is how it was seen (and spread).

Ah well, I don't happen to think the boy should have gone to jail over it anyhow. He's an idiot who deserves a pop in the mouth along with a swift kick to the jimmies, not jail time. (But I hardly think it's "nothing" either.)
Yes I use facebook, and irrespective of settings, only friends see your status updates in their news feed.

Settings may allow non friends to access your page, look at your pics, see your friends list etc, but non friends do not see your status updates. In anycase, I would argue to go on to someones profile who you are not friends with and be offended by something they write is again a step to far. Thats no different to people going to sickipedia website and getting offended and complaining about the jokes there.
It is possible friends of friends may see it in their newsfeed if they comment or like the status.

Alas, he didnt make it public to the worldwide public per se, like the media have, he made it public to his friends list.

But yeah, lets hang him out to dry, ruin his life, and create a hate mob against him.
__________________
Small minds are concerned with the extraordinary, great minds with the ordinary, Blaise Pascal
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:44
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,230
Groaned at 91 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 2,518 Times in 807 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Ah well, I don't happen to think the boy should have gone to jail over it anyhow. He's an idiot who deserves a pop in the mouth along with a swift kick to the jimmies, not jail time. (But I hardly think it's "nothing" either.)
That's great, we should all go around kicking people in the balls and punching them in the mouth (or burning down embassies) whenever they offend us.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:49
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
That's great, we should all go around kicking people in the balls and punching them in the mouth (or burning down embassies) whenever they offend us.
If everyone who acted this stupid got a good smack in the mouth, they'd maybe think twice about saying such sick and stupid things, eh?

Nipped in the bud.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 09.10.2012, 12:54
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,230
Groaned at 91 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 2,518 Times in 807 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
If everyone who acted this stupid got a good smack in the mouth, they'd maybe think twice about saying such sick and stupid things, eh?

Nipped in the bud.
Who said violence doesn't solve problems?

There's a ton of people on this forum that have said some really, really stupid things. Can I punch them too?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 09.10.2012, 13:03
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Who said violence doesn't solve problems?

There's a ton of people on this forum that have said some really, really stupid things. Can I punch them too?
Sure. Viadukt Thursday evenings after 6pm, maybe someone could film it and post in on YouTube as a foreigner outburst and incite some revenge killings abroad and quaint ceremonial flag burning.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 09.10.2012, 13:06
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Who said violence doesn't solve problems?

There's a ton of people on this forum that have said some really, really stupid things. Can I punch them too?

Oh? They've made sexually explicit comments about your missing (presumably dead) 5yo child?

No?

Then no.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 09.10.2012, 13:08
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,131
Groaned at 170 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Oh? They've made sexually explicit comments about your missing (presumably dead) 5yo child?

No?

Then no.
What happens if the child is 6? Am I meant to use more or less voilence? Is there a spreadsheet somewhere I can refer to?
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 09.10.2012, 13:18
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

That reminds me of a girl who called me a bitch on her Facebook page. I couldn't see it but her friends which are my friends reported to me.

The guy of this topic is an idiot who didn't think much of it. The joke is very bad taste and I wouldn't understand that anyone could find it funny. Thankfully, people I have around me think the same. Does he deserve to go in jail? No.

Public humiliation was pretty enough.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 09.10.2012, 13:27
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
What happens if the child is 6? Am I meant to use more or less voilence? Is there a spreadsheet somewhere I can refer to?
Well, for starters, Age of Consent is probably a decent place to start. If the child isn't old enough to be legally engaged in sex in the first place...

I guess for UK, that would be about 16.

Of course, that's not even going into the whole "missing and presumably dead" part of it. Defamation of character is perhaps a civil matter though?
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 09.10.2012, 13:29
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
That reminds me of a girl who called me a bitch on her Facebook page. I couldn't see it but her friends which are my friends reported to me.

Because calling an adult a bitch is the same thing as making sexually explicit comments about a 5yo child, right?
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 09.10.2012, 13:33
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 520 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Because calling an adult a bitch is the same thing as making sexually explicit comments about a 5yo child, right?
Ah ha, but how do we put a parameter on level of offensiveness?

Some may be a lot more offended be likened to a dog than they would a crude collection of words that, whilst made with humorous intent, relate to a depraved act. Arguably the former is a more personal attack.

Alas insulting someone is not offensive, but joking about an offensive act is??
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 09.10.2012, 13:38
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Man arrested for telling offensive joke on facebook

Quote:
View Post
Ah ha, but how do we put a parameter on level of offensiveness?

Some may be a lot more offended be likened to a dog than they would a crude collection of words that, whilst made with humorous intent, relate to a depraved act. Arguably the former is a more personal attack.

Alas insulting someone is not offensive, but joking about an offensive act is??

Of course it's offensive - but is it AS offensive as making sexually explicit comments about a (let's not forget, missing and presumed dead!) five year old child.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrong man arrested Sbrinz International affairs/politics 5 23.06.2012 12:44
Swiss tourist arrested for writing on Alhambra walls The Local Swiss politics/news 7 10.01.2012 20:41
Swedish man arrested after trying to split atoms in his kitchen Carlos R International affairs/politics 11 05.08.2011 13:44
Heiden Joke Trail - Is its existence the real joke ? Guest Jokes/funnies 4 29.05.2007 19:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0