English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   General off-topic (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/)
-   -   Circumcision: right or wrong? (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/16591-circumcision-right-wrong.html)

parnell 11.10.2015 13:14

Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos (Post 2464457)
Do you understand the role of circumcision in those respective religions? Christianity clearly talks about a non physical type of circumcision.

It would be very nice if you would answer the questions posed rather than just throw up more of your own. To answer this one - yes I do - and I'd highly recommend the movie "Uncut" by the Orthodox Jewish scholar - himself circumcised - Eliyahu Ungar Sargon - unfortunately it's no longer available in full for free on the net but this excerpt will give you an idea :

EDIT: Bit explicit for some


Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos (Post 2464457)
So banning it is quite a different measure from making it optional. It already is optional.

Oh good so you've now accepted that others can practice their religion of any hue - without having to mutilate their children.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos (Post 2464457)
So what's the problem? You'd like to prevent some from practicing their religion?

Of course not - as Faltrad points out - this is about the child's right to not having parts of their sexual organs removed without their consent. You seem to have no problem understanding that when it comes to the female , what is your problem with sexism ?

FunnyBone 11.10.2015 13:27

Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VFR on top (Post 2464445)
As a native Minnesotan, I don't recall the gazillion (which we all know is 1x10^WTF?) of immigrants coming into the Twin Cities or hearing about "a lot" of problems from family and friends that still live there.

Any influx of immigrants will bring new challenges. The Finlanders, Germans and Swedes sure screwed over the Chippewa and Sioux. But it's not 1888 and we don't have any more room on the reservations up Bemidji way regardless. The Hmong are sure happy about that.

I do agree that education and enforcement of the current laws are required as is the expectation that they be followed. Or is there some greater level of control you wish to advocate?

Here is a description of the problem, it seems this isn't performed only in Africa.:eek:

http://www.limitstogrowth.org/WEB-te...r-dilemma.html

The number of Africa-born immigrants settled in the US (for MN - 19%). The "gazillion" is a hyperbole.;)

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...acsbr12-16.pdf

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...-ryan-lovelace

(Let's focus only on the circumcision, and not discuss here a different kettle of fish, namely the genocide of the First Nations.)

VFR on top 11.10.2015 13:43

Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faltrad (Post 2464487)
You can't make it an all or nothing situation because it isn't one. I do understand that all or nothing is easier to grasp conceptually, but life is not alway about "easy".

Agree. Yet most of the people on this thread seem to be advocating for exactly that level of zealotry. Interesting too, because some I had considered pretty broad minded in their other posts. Guess everyone has their trigger points.

Phos 11.10.2015 13:47

Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by parnell (Post 2464490)
Of course not - as Faltrad points out - this is about the child's right to not having parts of their sexual organs removed without their consent. You seem to have no problem understanding that when it comes to the female , what is your problem with sexism ?

Did you say you are aware of the religious context of circumcision? It is stipulated that every male at 8 days old be circumcised, not females. This is THE convenant between Abraham's and God itself. It isn't an optional menu item. It IS the religion itself.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+17

So you are saying it should be banned, even implying the religion itself should be banned?

I think people who believe in such logic also believe in flying ponies, because it is contradictory and doesn't make sense.

But seriously, none of you can be geniunely serious. But if you really believe you are serious, then I would prescribe therapy.

Faltrad 11.10.2015 13:52

Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos (Post 2464519)
But seriously, none of you can be geniunely serious. But if you really believe you are serious, then I would prescribe therapy.

Voted best argument of the thread. You win.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0