English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   General off-topic (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/)
-   -   Circumcision: right or wrong? (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/16591-circumcision-right-wrong.html)

Guest 03.04.2009 13:06

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by goombie (Post 432555)
Agree with not starting a debate but hang on a minute...In Europe circumscision is only done if there is a problem....I know the US and Australia do it fairly routinely but he %s are dropping as evidence shows that there is no need to do it unless there is an issue.

Out of interest do you know how they do it? They strap the baby down (see picture here IMAGE REMOVED) and offer no anaesthetic......need we say more????

G

You should put a warning on that attachment - that is an appallingly offensive image.

goombie 03.04.2009 13:28

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
I wholeheartedly agree......for an appallingly offensive practice, what did you think the picture was going to be of - a smiling baby looking happy to have the end of his penis removed - whoopdedoo!!! It's an actual photo, not one taken of a stunt baby....this is how they actually do it fact!!!

Guest 03.04.2009 13:31

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by goombie (Post 432580)
I wholeheartedly agree......for an appallingly offensive practice, what did you think the picture was going to be of - a smiling baby looking happy to have the end of his penis removed - whoopdedoo!!! It's an actual photo, not one taken of a stunt baby....this is how they actually do it fact!!!

Maybe so (although I don't think this methodology is carried out in Europe). I also don't agree with circumcision and kept my baby boy as nature intended when he was born but the OP asked "where" he or she can get her son circumcised and didn't ask what dreadful images people can trawl up from the internet.

larrylizzard 03.04.2009 13:48

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Don't worry about the other opinions, if you have decided what you want to do with your son, that's your choice not theirs. Everyone has a right to an opinion but I dont think its right to push their opinion onto you.

I was circumcised as a boy for religious reasons and am expecting a boy in July who will also been circumcised mainly for the same reason. Also it would be very very weird an abnormal for me personally to have a son who has not had it done.

Owl and Pussycat 03.04.2009 13:55

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Diamant (Post 432596)
Don't worry about the other opinions, if you have decided what you want to do with your son, that's your choice not theirs. Everyone has a right to an opinion but I dont think its right to push their opinion onto you.

I was circumcised as a boy for religious reasons and am expecting a boy in July who will also been circumcised mainly for the same reason. Also it would be very very weird an abnormal for me personally to have a son who has not had it done.

No, it's never acceptable to mutilate another human being just because you think it's ok.

And to do it for religious reasons.... words fail me. :msnmad:

argus 03.04.2009 13:56

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Diamant (Post 432596)
Don't worry about the other opinions, if you have decided what you want to do with your son, that's your choice not theirs. Everyone has a right to an opinion but I dont think its right to push their opinion onto you.

I was circumcised as a boy for religious reasons and am expecting a boy in July who will also been circumcised mainly for the same reason. Also it would be very very weird an abnormal for me personally to have a son who has not had it done.


Yes, true. So how about the OP forcing her opinion onto her helpless son?

Macchiato 03.04.2009 13:59

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
It is shown that circumsission, reduces the risk of getting STD and HIV .

SwissMs2000 03.04.2009 14:01

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leylak (Post 432610)
Would you be willing to travel to the Dubendorf area? It seems like there's one guy who does it there for all of Zurich. The baby has to be younger than 4 months and he uses the plastibell method.
PM me for details.

I'm puzzled by your groaning me. I gave the OP a referal just as she asked. Thanks for ruining my prestine reputation.:mad:

Owl and Pussycat 03.04.2009 14:03

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macchiato (Post 432612)
It is shown that circumsission, reduces the risk of getting STD and HIV .

Well that makes it all ok then. :mad:

larrylizzard 03.04.2009 14:04

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Im looking to start a big debate or argument here, in fact if you look at my record, the only other groan I have is when I started the thread "500 posts and no groans".

Im also not saying that you are not entitled to your own opinions, my opinion is just different and I feel its not right for you to say what is right or wrong for the OP.

Anyway I wont post anything more as it defeats the thread, there is the other thread as previously mentioned that you can vent your opinions on.

Jase 03.04.2009 14:08

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Diamant (Post 432596)
Also it would be very very weird an abnormal for me personally to have a son who has not had it done.

I was born in Australia and circumcised as a standard practise - however my 2 boys born here the only reason my wife and i could come up with why to circumcise them was because I was.

We decided that wasn't enough of a reason and decided to leave them au naturel

But you did hit the nail on the head when you said me personally - this is a very personal matter and one you need to make and be happy with yourself - whether for personal or religeious regions.

Good luck to the OP with their search

(oh and watch out - get a good doctor that's referred / recommended - they can screw it up! - and once it's off there's no going back...)

MusicChick 03.04.2009 14:10

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by goombie (Post 432580)
I wholeheartedly agree......for an appallingly offensive practice, what did you think the picture was going to be of - a smiling baby looking happy to have the end of his penis removed - whoopdedoo!!! It's an actual photo, not one taken of a stunt baby....this is how they actually do it fact!!!

It might be against the rules here on EF to post such emotionally charged images, or against people's nerves or their sentiments of political correctness but I have to say I see your point.

If one person undecided about their future son's genital health searches this forum for circ info in Switzerland, happens to see this and decides to not put their baby through this horror, I believe it was worth posting. I feel this reality is not made public enough, often parents themselves have no idea what is happening to their child.

It is interesting how majority of the world agrees on not supporting female sexual mutilation but the male circ is another thing. Sad.

tomcat 03.04.2009 14:33

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macchiato (Post 432612)
It is shown that circumsission, reduces the risk of getting STD and HIV .

Evidence, please? Cite your sources.

Tom1234 03.04.2009 14:42

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Diamant (Post 432596)
Don't worry about the other opinions, if you have decided what you want to do with your son, that's your choice not theirs. Everyone has a right to an opinion but I dont think its right to push their opinion onto you.
.

Which is exactly what you are proposing to do with your son.

What about his opinion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Diamant (Post 432596)


I was circumcised as a boy for religious reasons and am expecting a boy in July who will also been circumcised mainly for the same reason. Also it would be very very weird an abnormal for me personally to have a son who has not had it done.

I had a son born this week - he's absolutely perfect.

If I thought that it was best to get him multilated because not doing so may make me feel a bit weird for a time I would probably ask to get myself sectioned.

Do you think your God really gives a f**k whether you get your son circumcised or not? I thought he had better things to do.

Macchiato 03.04.2009 14:50

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcat (Post 432642)
Evidence, please? Cite your sources.

A RELIABLE SOURCE:

http://data.unaids.org/pub/Report/20...dations_en.pdf

Bartholemew 03.04.2009 14:52

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
and some of the insensitivy displayed by you and Tom1234 towards the religious beliefs of others pretty much do the same for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owl and Pussycat (Post 432608)
And to do it for religious reasons.... words fail me. :msnmad:

Florawilson, I'm sorry if I've helped derail your thread. I wish you and your family all the best for the birth of your son.

PaddyG 03.04.2009 14:52

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcat (Post 432642)
Evidence, please? Cite your sources.

http://intl-content.nejm.org/cgi/con...ct/360/14/1385

Ugandan study. Still, condom use is still the best method to prevent STDs. BTW I'm not a supporter of circumcision, at all. But you did ask for a source.

Uncle Max 03.04.2009 14:54

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
:lol::offtopic:

Please, y'all, see the link posted way above for discussion of this topic. We've been round this block before...

(The Search option is such a wonderful resource...)

EDIT: Since this new thread has been created, this, er, off 'topic message' is no longer relevent.

Power to the Penis

alanbrito 03.04.2009 14:57

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcat (Post 432642)
Evidence, please? Cite your sources.

The STD study of course is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/27/he...c74&ei=5087%0A

However, the study was done in rural Africa, which has little bearing on western culture. You would have much better luck with STD prevention by teaching sexual education. Also, the study was done with a very small sample size of 5000 men. It's a very dubious argument IMO.

I recently had a son born here, and decided to leave him be, even though I am circumcised. I can't say that I've lost any sleep over him being "different" than me.

grumpygrapefruit 03.04.2009 14:59

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by goombie (Post 432580)
I wholeheartedly agree......for an appallingly offensive practice, what did you think the picture was going to be of - a smiling baby looking happy to have the end of his penis removed - whoopdedoo!!! It's an actual photo, not one taken of a stunt baby....this is how they actually do it fact!!!


No ones suggesting otherwise but Sandgrounder did suggest you place a warning that the image is horrific. I'm not a squeemish type but even I found it very disturbing. A squeemish person will already know that the act is probably horrific without having to see such a graphic image. Please edit your post and add a warning


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0