English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   General off-topic (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/)
-   -   Circumcision: right or wrong? (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/16591-circumcision-right-wrong.html)

PaddyG 03.04.2009 16:05

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbrito (Post 432664)
The STD study of course is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/27/he...c74&ei=5087%0A

However, the study was done in rural Africa, which has little bearing on western culture. You would have much better luck with STD prevention by teaching sexual education. Also, the study was done with a very small sample size of 5000 men. It's a very dubious argument IMO.

I recently had a son born here, and decided to leave him be, even though I am circumcised. I can't say that I've lost any sleep over him being "different" than me.

I would agree to your points about relevance to Western culture and sex education. However, 5000 subjects is not "a very small" sample and they did prove statistical significance. Dubious no, but not entirely relevant either.

mim 03.04.2009 16:06

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Tom1234:msnmad:a very disrespectful reply .

Canadian_dude 03.04.2009 16:10

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
OP. Would you circumcize you daughter? No? Why would you do that to your son? What would you say if your parents had YOU circumcised when you were a baby?

They used to think bleeding sick people was a good idea too. Stop the barbarism, let the boy decide when he is older.

There was a "tradition" in Soviet Union to have a baby's appendix removed, just in case. Turned out, those babies had a lot of health problems later. Nature puts something in your body for a reason.

Canadian_dude 03.04.2009 16:12

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyG (Post 432657)
http://intl-content.nejm.org/cgi/con...ct/360/14/1385

Ugandan study. Still, condom use is still the best method to prevent STDs. BTW I'm not a supporter of circumcision, at all. But you did ask for a source.


Earth to Paddy, we do not live in Sub-Saharan Africa. Also, it's been proven that there is a even MORE effective way to reduce a chance of STDs.... cut the d**k off completely.

Tom1234 03.04.2009 16:14

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mim (Post 432670)
Tom1234:msnmad:a very disrespectful reply .

I'm sorry, but I found the post to which I replied really quite offensive.

I guess I should have applied the "wait ten minutes and then post" rule.

Or, perhaps my post was more emotionally charged then it should have been as I got a new son this week.

:msnsad:

Castro 03.04.2009 16:25

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 432678)
I'm sorry, but I found the post to which I replied really quite offensive.

I guess I should have applied the "wait ten minutes and then post" rule.

Or, perhaps my post was more emotionally charged then it should have been as I got a new son this week.

:msnsad:

If a new member asked where they could get contraception or termination advice in the xyz area, only to be jumped upon by sanctimonious religionists... would you be offended?

I know I would be.

krlock3 03.04.2009 17:00

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Leylak, do you have to groan every single person that has a different opinion to you on this subject?

Mind you, i wish i hadnt looked at that photo.

Itzoe 03.04.2009 17:23

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 432678)
I got a new son this week.

:msnsad:

Just wanted to say congrats to you - a new baby is a wonderful thing

Tom1234 03.04.2009 17:26

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itzoe (Post 432724)
Just wanted to say congrats to you - a new baby is a wonderful thing

Thank you - It's really amazingly wonderful.:)

Russkov 03.04.2009 17:30

Re: Circumcision: Right or Wrong II
 
I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about male circumcision. It's pretty low on the list of questionable things parents can do to their kids. A notch below, say, naming your daughter Inge. If people want to do it for whatever reason, religious, personal, whatever, let 'em. It really doesn't matter either way and it's not your kid.

And congrats Tom.

Uncle Max 03.04.2009 18:00

Re: Circumcision: Right or Wrong II
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russkov (Post 432736)
... It really doesn't matter either way and it's not your kid.

And congrats Tom.

Well, it matters to the kid. It's not just an issue of a crap forename or a dodgy turtleneck he's being forced to wear.

I'm against mutilating anyone. Let them decide themselves; kids aren't possessions. But that's just an opinion.

It'll make sex less intense though, poor blighter; still, as long as God / profiteering medical staff want it...

Russkov 03.04.2009 18:06

Re: Circumcision: Right or Wrong II
 
Have you ever met or heard about a man who was truly upset about having been circumcised? Just from guys I've talked to, and the best piece of evidence I have that it doesn't really matter, is that both groups of men seem to claim that they have it better. The most negative reaction I've encountered is "would have preferred not, but oh well, whatchagonna do 'bout it" type apathy.

Uncle Max 03.04.2009 18:10

Re: Circumcision: Right or Wrong II
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russkov (Post 432768)
Have you ever met or heard about a man who was truly upset about having been circumcised? ...

Not the best way to consider the best interests of a child, but anecdotely, yes, I have met some guys who were more than apathetic, they were angry. In a 'not much point in getting too angry now' kinda way.

Let's hack their ears off, too, what bloody use are they?

Russkov 03.04.2009 18:12

Re: Circumcision: Right or Wrong II
 
Sounds like they had nothing better to be angry about. ;)

raincookie 03.04.2009 18:13

Re: Circumcision: Right or Wrong II
 
I've got mixed feelings on this, but isn't it so that some boys have to have this done for medical reasons i.e. a too-tight foreskin?? To prevent ripping?

MusicChick 03.04.2009 18:26

Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?
 
It is not only men that regret being circumsized...

mothering debate

Canadian_dude 03.04.2009 20:10

Re: Circumcision: Right or Wrong II
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by raincookie (Post 432773)
I've got mixed feelings on this, but isn't it so that some boys have to have this done for medical reasons i.e. a too-tight foreskin?? To prevent ripping?

Sure, but this is not the case here.

I think the biggest problem is not whether religions are stupid for requiring it or not, but that it is done without the consent of the person this is being done to.

NotAllThere 03.04.2009 20:46

Re: Circumcision: Right or Wrong II
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by goombie (Post 432555)
... (see picture here http://www.circumcision.org/SCAN2.gif) and offer no anaesthetic......need we say more????

G

Mod note: Image is graphic

Photo is from a totally unbiased source, is it? No. Is there a pro-circumcision website that has other photos? Maybe this was placed deliberately because it was the worst that could be found. Perhaps 10 seconds later, baby was happily in mums arms have a good feed.

Please note - I'm not in favour of circumcision. But I've a fascination with the objective portrayal of facts.

drsmithy 03.04.2009 21:18

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macchiato (Post 432612)
It is shown that circumsission, reduces the risk of getting STD and HIV .

In Africa. On should not underestimate the environmental issues involved, particularly with regards to things like relative rates of condom usage.

It's quite arguable whether the same dramatic difference would be seen in, say, Western Europe.

drsmithy 03.04.2009 21:20

Re: Circumcision for newborn son
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 432628)
It is interesting how majority of the world agrees on not supporting female sexual mutilation but the male circ is another thing. Sad.

The two procedures are typically very different in terms of scope, intent and outcome. It's not at all surprising (and quite justifiable) that they are perceived differently.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0