Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.01.2008, 22:04
Cata1yst
 
Posts: n/a
German boss fires staff for not smoking

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200801...1a5e080_1.html

BERLIN (Reuters) - The owner of a small German computer company has fired three non-smoking workers because they were threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment.

The manager of the 10-person IT company in Buesum, named Thomas J., told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper he had fired the trio because their non-smoking was causing disruptions.

Germany introduced non-smoking rules in pubs and restaurants on January 1, but Germans working in small offices are still allowed to smoke.
"I can't be bothered with trouble-makers," Thomas was quoted saying.

"We're on the phone all the time and it's just easier to work while smoking. Everyone picks on smokers these days. It's time for revenge. I'm only going to hire smokers from now on."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.01.2008, 13:18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 142
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Riitta is considered knowledgeableRiitta is considered knowledgeableRiitta is considered knowledgeable
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200801...1a5e080_1.html

BERLIN (Reuters) - The owner of a small German computer company has fired three non-smoking workers because they were threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment.


The manager of the 10-person IT company in Buesum, named Thomas J., told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper he had fired the trio because their non-smoking was causing disruptions.

Germany introduced non-smoking rules in pubs and restaurants on January 1, but Germans working in small offices are still allowed to smoke.
"I can't be bothered with trouble-makers," Thomas was quoted saying.

"We're on the phone all the time and it's just easier to work while smoking. Everyone picks on smokers these days. It's time for revenge. I'm only going to hire smokers from now on."
WHAT! Is this an early April fool´s joke or what?!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.01.2008, 13:21
Cata1yst
 
Posts: n/a
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
WHAT! Is this an early April fool´s joke or what?!
No it's real, vote on the polls people, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10.01.2008, 13:51
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, previously Basel
Posts: 3,789
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,172 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
WHAT! Is this an early April fool´s joke or what?!

Why would it be an April fools joke? This kind of discrimination happens to smokers all the time so it was quite refreshing to see the boot on the other foot. At the end of the day you annoy your boss for whatever reason and he's going to show you the door.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ch
Posts: 2,291
Groaned at 34 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

I guess it's OK to sack fat people too, just because they're fat. Or imagine someone sacking you for being skinny, or bald, or not good looking enough...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Appenzell
Posts: 5,618
Groaned at 100 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,331 Posts
DaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Aint gunna happen.

dave

Quote:
View Post
Or imagine someone sacking you for being skinny, or bald, or not good looking enough...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:07
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, previously Basel
Posts: 3,789
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,172 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
I guess it's OK to sack fat people too, just because they're fat. Or imagine someone sacking you for being skinny, or bald, or not good looking enough...

No of course it's not ok and I don't agree with what's happened to these people but that is the world we live in today. My point was that it just makes a change for the smokers to not be the outcasts of society.

Plus if what you say above were true then I'd be out of a job
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:40
JVC
 
Posts: n/a
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

To be honest I think your title is misleading. They weren't fired for "not smoking", but for "threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:44
Brianb_ie's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 515
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 125 Times in 88 Posts
Brianb_ie has earned the respect of manyBrianb_ie has earned the respect of manyBrianb_ie has earned the respect of many
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
I guess it's OK to sack fat people too, just because they're fat. Or imagine someone sacking you for being skinny, or bald, or not good looking enough...
Well fat people at least!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:45
Cata1yst
 
Posts: n/a
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
To be honest I think your title is misleading. They weren't fired for "not smoking", but for "threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment".
I agree this is a direct leech from yahoo news so don't blame the OP!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:47
Salsa_Lover
 
Posts: n/a
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

I think it was good for the fired, who wants to work in a disgusting and stinky, smoky place ?

I had a friend who worked for Phillipe Morris, and they had strict rules there, you HAD to be an smoker and smoke during working hours there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 386
Groaned at 23 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
electric_grey has earned some respectelectric_grey has earned some respect
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

I don't blame them, now they have to go and get compensation for unfair dismissal and then the company should be fined.

You have job adverts that now proclaim that they don't care about your religion, sexuality, and god alone knows what else - how come it is OK for non-smokers to get pushed out of a smokers paradise of an office? Of course we all know why but that would open a whole new can of worms.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10.01.2008, 14:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 386
Groaned at 23 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
electric_grey has earned some respectelectric_grey has earned some respect
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
I think it was good for the fired, who wants to work in a disgusting and stinky, smoky place ?

I had a friend who worked for Phillipe Morris, and they had strict rules there, you HAD to be an smoker and smoke during working hours there.
That's OK. If the whole place is full of smokers, that is their desire. Frankly I think an addiction that strong is the pits.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10.01.2008, 15:01
Salsa_Lover
 
Posts: n/a
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

When working at the Geneva branch, they were many smokers there, including the management, so the place was hell for us non-smokers.

They smoked in their offices and also in the cubicle shared desks place, they even smoked during meetings.

It was awful.

Thanks to the regulations against smoke at the workplace, they had to ban smoking from the working places and so people only could smoke at the "pause" room, where the coffe and vending machines are. We had to cope with the smoke for some minutes if we wanted a coffe or just a chat with someone there.

Finally, thanks God, they understood and now the "pause rooms" are also smoke free. they set up an special pause room for the smokers. and now we are all happy.

Same process happened here in Zurich at the HQ.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10.01.2008, 15:11
Pekka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 154
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Pekka has no particular reputation at present
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
I guess it's OK to sack fat people too, just because they're fat. Or imagine someone sacking you for being skinny, or bald, or not good looking enough...
Lose weight or you'll get the boot... It might work for me.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.01.2008, 15:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Appenzell
Posts: 5,618
Groaned at 100 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,331 Posts
DaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond reputeDaveA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Ive heard it applied in relationships. Not in a good way mind.

dave

Quote:
View Post
Lose weight or you'll get the boot... It might work for me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.01.2008, 17:23
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, previously Basel
Posts: 3,789
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,172 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
That's OK. If the whole place is full of smokers, that is their desire. Frankly I think an addiction that strong is the pits.
An addiction is an addiction regardless. You would not be so flippant to an alcoholic or drug addict. You may not agree with their actions but you wouldn't be so openly rude to them.

I personally would hate to work in a smoking environment and completely agree that it would be awful. Part of the fun of having a cigarette is escaping the office for ten minutes anyway

Last edited by mimi1981; 10.01.2008 at 17:24. Reason: text was too small???
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10.01.2008, 17:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ch
Posts: 2,291
Groaned at 34 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

Quote:
View Post
An addiction is an addiction regardless. You would not be so flippant to an alcoholic or drug addict. You may not agree with their actions but you wouldn't be so openly rude to them.

I personally would hate to work in a smoking environment and completely agree that it would be awful. Part of the fun of having a cigarette is escaping the office for ten minutes anyway
First you thought it was good that the boot was on the other foot.

As for smoking in the work place. I know and work with some heavy smokers. Say they pop off for 10 minutes 6 times a day. Thats an hour a day, 5 hours a week, 20-25 hours a month. Let's say 200 hours a year.

A full time job is about 2000 hours a year, that's 10% of the time outside escaping.

Seem fair?

I think non smokers should be paid more or given longer holidays.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10.01.2008, 17:37
mimi1981's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, previously Basel
Posts: 3,789
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,172 Posts
mimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond reputemimi1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

[quote=gooner;154030]First you thought it was good that the boot was on the other foot.

quote]

What I've just said is I personally wouldn't want to work in a smoking environment. The point before was if your boss does and he doesn't want to hear you complain then he gives you the boot. We would never hear any big uproar if this happened to a smoker who got fired because they couldn't smoke in their office and kicked off. Hence why I said it was funny that the boot was on the other foot for once.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10.01.2008, 17:54
terryhall's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Die Südkürve
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,018 Times in 547 Posts
terryhall has a reputation beyond reputeterryhall has a reputation beyond reputeterryhall has a reputation beyond reputeterryhall has a reputation beyond reputeterryhall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German boss fires staff for not smoking

I don't see how positive discrimination is any better than negative discrimination...ultimately if you're a bigot, you're a bigot, it's not a morally defensible position IMO.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't get the staff these days? (DIY survey) DaveA Daily life 27 27.11.2006 12:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0