Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.03.2013, 11:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,780
Groaned at 680 Times in 497 Posts
Thanked 15,764 Times in 6,177 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

I bought a wooden dining table at the weekend. It is beautiful wood (Palisander or Akazie I think), and a nice middle-dark colour, but has the following:
  1. Small scratches over the surface
  2. Two very faint ring marks (not white thankfully, more a 'matte discolouration' where the finish was worn away) in the middle where hot plates were placed

What is the quickest and easiest way (relatively speaking) to make it looking fresher? I am willing to put 'some' time and effort in of course, but do NOT want to sand the table or anything major like that. I am thinking more some kind of wax treatment buffing, or something similar that I can get from my local DIY store (a big Migros Bau & Hobby at Brunaupark) that can hide the scratches and give it a breath of new life and lustre.

Any tips appreciated please!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.03.2013, 11:16
Hausamsee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 428
Groaned at 91 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 558 Times in 251 Posts
Hausamsee has an excellent reputationHausamsee has an excellent reputationHausamsee has an excellent reputationHausamsee has an excellent reputation
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Quote:
View Post
I bought a wooden dining table at the weekend. It is beautiful wood (Palisander or Akazie I think), and a nice middle-dark colour, but has the following:
  1. Small scratches over the surface
  2. Two very faint ring marks (not white thankfully, more a 'matte discolouration' where the finish was worn away) in the middle where hot plates were placed

What is the quickest and easiest way (relatively speaking) to make it looking fresher? I am willing to put 'some' time and effort in of course, but do NOT want to sand the table or anything major like that. I am thinking more some kind of wax treatment buffing, or something similar that I can get from my local DIY store (a big Migros Bau & Hobby at Brunaupark) that can hide the scratches and give it a breath of new life and lustre.

Any tips appreciated please!
Nothing but even a little sanding is going to get rid of the scratches I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25.03.2013, 11:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,780
Groaned at 680 Times in 497 Posts
Thanked 15,764 Times in 6,177 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Quote:
View Post
Nothing but even a little sanding is going to get rid of the scratches I'm afraid.
Well, I read that you can get a good wax that matches the colour of the table that does a good job of making them much less noticeable?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25.03.2013, 11:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

With the ring marks try brasso or windolene. (you'll need to google them to find the brand equivalents here. They are uk products for silver polishing and window cleaning respecitvely)

Background: I run a holiday let business and some muppets put a ring mark from a pan on the dining table. We got an antiques dealer friend in who said these two products work well to remove ring marks. we tried it and it works.

For scratches on other surfaces we have done light sanding then wiping over a product like danish oil -use a rag not a brush. Much easier to do. You may need several coats.

There are also pens you can buy here in coop bau and hobby for touching up scratches-next to the varnish section
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.03.2013, 11:21
Simeon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürisee
Posts: 239
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 317 Times in 158 Posts
Simeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputation
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

If the table has an old shellak finish on it, which the ring marks might be a sign of, then you can refresh it by wiping it with denatured alcohol (Sprit).First test on a not so visible part, just to make sure nothing extreme occurs.
If it is indeed shellak, avoid contact with water as it used to be the case with older furniture. Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.04.2013, 23:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,780
Groaned at 680 Times in 497 Posts
Thanked 15,764 Times in 6,177 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Well, attached is a photo of the table... as you can see it's very nice, but needs a wee bit of TLC to get it looking a bit better. It has a couple of ring marks in the centre and a few area of light fading and shallow scratches which would be all but invisible if it ws a uniform colour.

I had a feel of the top and it doesn't feel like there's any heavy layer of varnish on it. I was thinking the following would be ok to use to restore it to a deep Walnutty colour:

Ronseal Colron American Walnut Wood Dye http://www.protilertools.co.uk/wood-...-walnut-500-ml

Do you think that would be ok to put on as a way to give it a fresh coat of colour?

I could then finish it either with a coat of wax or even varnish (though I was advised wax is a better looking if less permanent finish).
Attached Thumbnails
how-restore-wood-table-surface-without-sanding-too-much-effort-tablebefore.jpg  

Last edited by Chuff; 01.04.2013 at 23:57.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.04.2013, 00:03
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,804
Groaned at 432 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 18,903 Times in 7,904 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Quote:
View Post
I had a feel of the top and it doesn't feel like there's any heavy layer of varnish on it. I was thinking the following would be ok to use to restore it to a deep Walnutty colour:

Ronseal Colron Wood Dye http://www.protilertools.co.uk/wood-...-walnut-500-ml

Do you think that would be ok to put on as a way to give it a fresh coat of colour?
I reckon that will absolutely wreck it and give it a fake (Essex tan) colour.

The table looks really great as it is from the photo and I think you just need to sort out the rings and the scratches without colouring it at all.

You haven't said what the table is worth but if you don't watch out, you could make any existing damage much worse.

I'm not a table expert at all but I do know you need to proceed with care.

Is it solid or veneered?

If solid then try out any potential treatments on a spot on the underside before repeating on the top side.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.04.2013, 00:05
Simeon's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zürisee
Posts: 239
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 317 Times in 158 Posts
Simeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputationSimeon has an excellent reputation
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Congratulations! The table looks great. It looks like it is walnut or at least a dark wood with natural character. The product you linked to has a color in it. I am not familiar with it as such, but products of this type are meant to impart color to lighter woods . I think you try to find out what is on your table already, perhaps by sanding or scraping an inconspicuous area. What it might need is much less, perhaps a wax or oil to give it an understated sheen and protection.
Just my two cents. Perhaps there are more experienced people here who could add something.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.04.2013, 00:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,780
Groaned at 680 Times in 497 Posts
Thanked 15,764 Times in 6,177 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Quote:
View Post
I reckon that will absolutely wreck it and give it a fake (Essex tan) colour.

The table looks really great as it is from the photo and I think you just need to sort out the rings and the scratches without colouring it at all.

You haven't said what the table is worth but if you don't watch out, you could make any existing damage much worse.

I'm not a table expert at all but I do know you need to proceed with care.

Is it solid or veneered?

If solid then try out any potential treatments on a spot on the underside before repeating on the top side.
Ahhh ok thanks for the warning. To be honest I have zero experience with this, but Im guessing at the very least I need to get some wax with some dark character to it in order to give the wood a more even darker colour in the parts where it's slightly discoloured?

It is if course solid wood... I wouldn't even be doing this if it was veneer. It wasn't expensive (I got a bargain from EF), but I love it and don't want to do anything to mess it up.

Quote:
View Post
Congratulations! The table looks great. It looks like it is walnut or at least a dark wood with natural character. The product you linked to has a color in it. I am not familiar with it as such, but products of this type are meant to impart color to lighter woods . I think you try to find out what is on your table already, perhaps by sanding or scraping an inconspicuous area. What it might need is much less, perhaps a wax or oil to give it an understated sheen and protection.
Just my two cents. Perhaps there are more experienced people here who could add something.
Yup I guess you're right, the stain is meant for light wood that you want to give an effect to. Hmm.

I'm pretty sure the table is Akazie or Palisander (still very nice wood), but as you say, full of character with the grain. I have a big soft spot for wood furniture, especially one with a bit of history, so would love to get it looking fresher again.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.04.2013, 00:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 23,048
Groaned at 553 Times in 424 Posts
Thanked 25,561 Times in 11,734 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Great table - but you'll just have to go for plan B and buy a big tin of elbow grease It will be worth it
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.04.2013, 00:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 96
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 232 Times in 65 Posts
manny calavera has a reputation beyond reputemanny calavera has a reputation beyond reputemanny calavera has a reputation beyond reputemanny calavera has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Rub the scratches with a walnut?

http://www.wikihow.com/Seal-Wood-Scr...-With-a-Walnut
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.04.2013, 00:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,780
Groaned at 680 Times in 497 Posts
Thanked 15,764 Times in 6,177 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Quote:
View Post
Great table - but you'll just have to go for plan B and buy a big tin of elbow grease It will be worth it
Fair enough, I just don't know exactly what I need to do.

That's actually a fascinating little tip, I may just try it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.04.2013, 00:43
JanerMacP's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Turgi, AG
Posts: 1,101
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 428 Posts
JanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputation
Our kitchen countertops are walnut and after two years we have some scratches, faded patches and circles and I'm going to contact our designer on how to touch them up. Once I have his feedback I will PM you (should be this week).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.04.2013, 00:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,780
Groaned at 680 Times in 497 Posts
Thanked 15,764 Times in 6,177 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Quote:
View Post
Our kitchen countertops are walnut and after two years we have some scratches, faded patches and circles and I'm going to contact our designer on how to touch them up. Once I have his feedback I will PM you (should be this week).
Awesome, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06.11.2013, 10:13
emmaruff
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to "restore" a wood table surface without sanding or "too" much effort?

Hi -

Does anyone know someone that could work with wood. Our dog has chewed a lot at the bottom of a gorgeous wooden table and we will like it restored if possible.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Marli
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you say "Ausbildungsmöglichkeiten" and "Chemiefacharbeiterin" in swiss german bayboro91 Language corner 2 07.05.2010 18:31
Should I continue my "college"(elite high school) Or pursue an "apprentissage" Julian_ignacio Employment 39 20.04.2010 16:34
How is "doch" on it's own an appropriate answer to "how are you?" MaryThomi Language corner 12 22.03.2010 22:47
"Log out" link too close to "New posts" Slaphead Forum support 3 05.11.2009 07:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0