Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 24.11.2015, 19:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,390
Groaned at 195 Times in 152 Posts
Thanked 6,473 Times in 3,490 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
Since we spend a lot of time in Trieste, I'm quite used to it myself.

Tom
Hah, I would love to hear you pronouncing Slovenian names..
But it's OK, we all think we got it right.....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 25.11.2015, 12:15
Meeyat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 680
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 874 Times in 349 Posts
Meeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
But both those sounds are the same.....
they are totally not the same.

Here is "soft C", how it is pronounced:


Also in words like "amici". "Vicenzo Corleone"

This sound is not used in English, as far as I know.



"Hard C" sounds like the first sound of Chest, Chestnut, Church (in English)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 25.11.2015, 12:32
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,747
Groaned at 63 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 11,042 Times in 5,257 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
they are totally not the same.

Here is "soft C", how it is pronounced:


Also in words like "amici". "Vicenzo Corleone"

This sound is not used in English, as far as I know.



"Hard C" sounds like the first sound of Chest, Chestnut, Church (in English)
But the 'c' in the cinque and the other one in that clip is pronounced exactly the same as the ch in chestnut, church, chest in English so that doesn't work as an example of the difference between the two "c" sounds. The example you give in the clip is the 'ch' sound in English.

In English a hard 'c' would be something like carrot, car, carpet etc and a soft 'c' would be like rice, race, face.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 25.11.2015, 13:26
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,017
Groaned at 87 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,831 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
they are totally not the same.

Here is "soft C", how it is pronounced:


Also in words like "amici". "Vicenzo Corleone"

This sound is not used in English, as far as I know.



"Hard C" sounds like the first sound of Chest, Chestnut, Church (in English)

Cinque and Church start with the same sound. They even use the same phonetic symbol which is a ts sort of thing.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 25.11.2015, 13:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,994
Groaned at 403 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 22,951 Times in 10,382 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Well, if there are any Slovenians here, never mind the pronunciation, but anyone know any Maric?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 25.11.2015, 13:32
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 19,255
Groaned at 983 Times in 768 Posts
Thanked 21,474 Times in 10,256 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
Cinque and Church start with the same sound. They even use the same phonetic symbol which is a ts sort of thing.
Again, not if you are from Tuscany or Veneto (and some other places).

In such places, Cinque ans Shout start with the same sound.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 25.11.2015, 13:36
Meeyat's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 680
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 874 Times in 349 Posts
Meeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond reputeMeeyat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
But the 'c' in the cinque and the other one in that clip is pronounced exactly the same as the ch in chestnut, church, chest in English so that doesn't work as an example of the difference between the two "c" sounds. The example you give in the clip is the 'ch' sound in English.

No, it is not. There is a difference in sound.

(The same way the difference between a and ä is for me very hard to hear, and very easy for native German speaker. )

Perhaps you can hear it a bit better in the example below, from 2m40s:
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 25.11.2015, 13:51
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,572
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 11,592 Times in 4,288 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
(The same way the difference between a and ä is for me very hard to hear, and very easy for native German speaker. )
Off topic - but yes, I've come across this sort of thing too. Chill, Jill, chews, juice, try, dry, work, walk, bet, bed, plead, bleed - difference în sound in each of the pairs seems to be more distinctive to a native English ear than to many German speakers. So I guess we may not hear the difference in Slovenian sounds in the same way as they would.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 25.11.2015, 15:13
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,747
Groaned at 63 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 11,042 Times in 5,257 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
No, it is not. There is a difference in sound.

(The same way the difference between a and ä is for me very hard to hear, and very easy for native German speaker. )

Perhaps you can hear it a bit better in the example below, from 2m40s:
I can assure you that to a native English speaker those sounds are identical. Your example may work for other nationalities but it doesn't work for us.

The difference in sound is clear in that link though.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 25.11.2015, 15:49
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,509
Groaned at 110 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 14,955 Times in 5,254 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
Off topic - but yes, I've come across this sort of thing too. Chill, Jill, chews, juice, try, dry, work, walk, bet, bed, plead, bleed - difference în sound in each of the pairs seems to be more distinctive to a native English ear than to many German speakers. So I guess we may not hear the difference in Slovenian sounds in the same way as they would.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 25.11.2015, 15:50
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,572
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 11,592 Times in 4,288 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
Exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 25.11.2015, 18:07
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,017
Groaned at 87 Times in 78 Posts
Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,831 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any Slovenians here- help please

Quote:
View Post
Again, not if you are from Tuscany or Veneto (and some other places).

In such places, Cinque ans Shout start with the same sound.

Tom
Yeah, we know. You know every regional variation.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living here, getting married at home-help please! LilyLoo Family matters/health 2 29.01.2015 10:57
Any farmers around here ? need some advice/help proksy Other/general 6 20.08.2012 15:38
Help Me Understand the Cuisine here.....PLEASE!! jerallie Complaints corner 133 23.01.2012 16:22
shipping stuff from Egypt and selling it here ... help please NEMBROTHA Business & entrepreneur 8 09.01.2012 22:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0