Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 17.02.2017, 12:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,932
Groaned at 225 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,053 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
What if they are reading a book or a newspaper? Would you charge them for the number of pages read?
And what if they ordered the 6 most expensive items in the menu, guzzled them in a minute and then rushed out? Do they get a discount? The owner is an idiot who will be out of business soon and I can see the number of people on this thread who've never run a business themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 17.02.2017, 12:26
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,714
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

I remember being in a Starbucks in Zürich with my son and a young woman wanted us to swap tables so she could charge her phone. Needless to say she didn't get to charge her phone and got a suggestion where she could stick it. One of the few times I've got angry in public.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17.02.2017, 12:32
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,169
Groaned at 171 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Why did it make you angry?

You either move so she could charge her phone or stay where you are.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 17.02.2017, 12:41
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,714
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Because it's rude and because of the way she asked/demanded.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17.02.2017, 13:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,932
Groaned at 225 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,053 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
Because it's rude and because of the way she asked/demanded.
Then it's not particularly relevant to this thread. Unless you got angry because she wanted to charge her phone, in which case I'd seek prompt therapy.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 17.02.2017, 13:36
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,714
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
Then it's not particularly relevant to this thread. Unless you got angry because she wanted to charge her phone, in which case I'd seek prompt therapy.
I've already had therapy thanks. I think assuming you can steal somebodies energy is not on and maybe you should seek therapy. When did stealing suddenly become OK? If you ask then ok, but just to assume you can plug in is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17.02.2017, 14:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,932
Groaned at 225 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,053 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
I've already had therapy thanks. I think assuming you can steal somebodies energy is not on and maybe you should seek therapy. When did stealing suddenly become OK? If you ask then ok, but just to assume you can plug in is unacceptable.
If you truly believe it's stealing, actual theft, then the police should be called immediately and I shudder to think why you've waited this long.

If, however, it's not stealing but has rather become something socially acceptable in certain environments like sugar packets and washing one's hands (stealing water!) then perhaps it's simply part of the business plan of successful companies in the industry, like Starbucks for example.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:19
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,714
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Now you're crazy. Washing hands in a cafe is to be expected. Calling the Police? really? How about just saying "please don't do it" or "I will have to make a charge"? wouldn't that be better?

At the airport you get a row of seats and in the middle there is a power socket then of course it is expected that you use it. That is why it is there.

When the coffee shop building was built there were no mobile devices and power sockets were just spread around the room for lamps, fridges, coffee machines whatever, but not for customers use.

Next time I'm in starbucks I'll plug my car in and let you know what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Erm...Elephant in the room...If you charge people for the electricity as a one-time surcharge, dont you open up the possibility that they will literally stay there the whole day, order one coffee (5$ tops) and just block the table for hours and hours (to get their moneys worth, so to speak), but this time with the entitlement that they have been charged for the electricity and so are allowed to stay there from 7am to 6:30pm?

i mean, why work from home and use more than 1.50 EUR worth of electricity when you can take your laptop and phone to a coffee shop and use theirs all day?

I don't think shes thought this through properly.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
I've already had therapy thanks. I think assuming you can steal somebodies energy is not on and maybe you should seek therapy. When did stealing suddenly become OK? If you ask then ok, but just to assume you can plug in is unacceptable.
When a coffee shop charges 8Fr for pouring hot water over ground beans, its sort of implied.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,932
Groaned at 225 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,053 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
Erm...Elephant in the room...If you charge people for the electricity as a one-time surcharge, dont you open up the possibility that they will literally stay there the whole day, order one coffee (5$ tops) and just block the table for hours and hours (to get their moneys worth, so to speak), but this time with the entitlement that they have been charged for the electricity and so are allowed to stay there from 7am to 6:30pm?

i mean, why work from home and use more than 1.50 EUR worth of electricity when you can take your laptop and phone to a coffee shop and use theirs all day?

I don't think shes thought this through properly.
I'm bringing my tumble dryer.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 982
Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
I'm bringing my tumble dryer.
As long as you dont mind paying 1.50 EUR!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:54
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,345
Groaned at 108 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 15,787 Times in 5,057 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
@Castro << And the costs of charging a phone are neglible.>> It is very interesting how people always decide, what costs others should accept as being neglible And it's not one phone, it's numerous a day.
Quote:
View Post
No, Castro. But may still affect your cup of coffee because others do charge their stuff in cafes. I expect that, eventually, rather than charge individual customers for the electricity usage, the cost of a cuppa will simply go up for everyone. It's certainly easier than trying to keep an eye on which of your customers has stayed longer than 15 minutes charging devices.
Quote:
View Post
True but the cost of having someone occupying a table nursing a coffee while the device charges is not free...
I completely get that; However if your business model is precariously dependent on fast turnover, why limit it to phone chargers? Why not ban mother and baby groups, revising students, aspiring novelists and have a 30 min max table occupancy.

It just seems unnecessarily churlish and not conducive to good customer service, unless this is a chronic problem that threatens to bring down her business, its just not worth the negative publicity. It could be handled in a much more tactful manner by blocking up all the ports or politely informing customers that others are waiting for a table.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
Now you're crazy. Washing hands in a cafe is to be expected. Calling the Police? really? How about just saying "please don't do it" or "I will have to make a charge"? wouldn't that be better?

At the airport you get a row of seats and in the middle there is a power socket then of course it is expected that you use it. That is why it is there.

When the coffee shop building was built there were no mobile devices and power sockets were just spread around the room for lamps, fridges, coffee machines whatever, but not for customers use.

Next time I'm in starbucks I'll plug my car in and let you know what happens.
I tried...unless you get a veeery long extension, it's ain't working...


Quite pricey too

PS: I do tend to think you also slightly over exaggerate for "stealing", the owners can easily put socket covers, plates, or even baby plugs, if they don't want the customer to use them... Or even, if their electricity installation is well designed, turn off the fuses for sockets near customers...

We're talking 1-2 dollars and the "problem" is solved.

Anyway, a smarphone charger used 3 hours per day, about 5 watts, would be about 0.33cents...(22ct/Kw)...
You probably "damage more" their seats with your bottom than that little value...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 17.02.2017, 15:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
I'm bringing my tumble dryer.
It's NOT your designated day, so your trick can only work once a week.

Game over, Switzerlanded.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 17.02.2017, 16:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
...she didn't get to charge her phone and got a suggestion where she could stick it...
Just curious...where?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 17.02.2017, 16:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,900
Groaned at 285 Times in 214 Posts
Thanked 17,671 Times in 6,208 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
I completely get that; However if your business model is precariously dependent on fast turnover, why limit it to phone chargers? Why not ban mother and baby groups, revising students, aspiring novelists and have a 30 min max table occupancy.

It just seems unnecessarily churlish and not conducive to good customer service, unless this is a chronic problem that threatens to bring down her business, its just not worth the negative publicity. It could be handled in a much more tactful manner by blocking up all the ports or politely informing customers that others are waiting for a table.
the place is in a tourist hotspot.
regardless if negative publicity or not, he will get additional revenue.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 17.02.2017, 16:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,932
Groaned at 225 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,053 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post

At the airport you get a row of seats and in the middle there is a power socket then of course it is expected that you use it. That is why it is there.
But how do you know. How do you really know. What happens if your phone is totally empty? Is that OK? What if you've got a phone like mine which doubles as a portable iron/sunbed?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 17.02.2017, 16:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The new charging reality

Quote:
View Post
But how do you know. How do you really know. What happens if your phone is totally empty? Is that OK? What if you've got a phone like mine which doubles as a portable iron/sunbed?
If your phone does not fit in the indicated metal frame, then you can not charge it in the airport for free, you have to pay!!



Well I think, never understood Italian...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My App (the Reality Augmenter) cyrus Commercial 2 02.11.2015 15:15
The amazing race (travel reality show) ch-expat Travel/day trips/free time 7 15.04.2013 11:48
Charging A Laptop On the Train shaya Transportation/driving 8 16.01.2012 15:10
Fast food propaganda: the reality gbn General off-topic 8 04.01.2011 10:04
Gbanga: The Mixed-Reality Game official launch today! cas Commercial 1 14.04.2010 10:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0