Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.07.2008, 12:19
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,082
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 733 Times in 382 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Why I DON'T like to fly...

Someone just point out this old aviation accident to me. Basically a big 767 running dry in the skies of Canada. The pilot, being an experienced glider manages to land the plane and save all on board.

So why worry about the happy ending?
The chain of mistakes which caused the airplane to load less fuel is something out of the horror books - a comedy of small misssteps and misunderstanding which cumulatively amounted to a major and potentially fatal/catastrophic error.

That was 25 years ago - before corporation craziness and deregulation reached today's extremes. Makes me cringe and wonder

The whole story is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.07.2008, 12:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why I DON'T like to fly...

If you are interested in reading about such incidents, you may be interested in the Risks Digest which catalogues incidents from many industries. They also host the safety-critical systems club should your interest be more technical.

dave


Quote:
View Post
Someone just point out this old aviation accident to me. Basically a big 767 running dry in the skies of Canada. The pilot, being an experienced glider manages to land the plane and save all on board.

So why worry about the happy ending?
The chain of mistakes which caused the airplane to load less fuel is something out of the horror books - a comedy of small misssteps and misunderstanding which cumulatively amounted to a major and potentially fatal/catastrophic error.

That was 25 years ago - before corporation craziness and deregulation reached today's extremes. Makes me cringe and wonder

The whole story is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.07.2008, 12:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why I DON'T like to fly...

Quote:
View Post
Someone just point out this old aviation accident to me. Basically a big 767 running dry in the skies of Canada. The pilot, being an experienced glider manages to land the plane and save all on board.

So why worry about the happy ending?
The chain of mistakes which caused the airplane to load less fuel is something out of the horror books - a comedy of small misssteps and misunderstanding which cumulatively amounted to a major and potentially fatal/catastrophic error.

That was 25 years ago - before corporation craziness and deregulation reached today's extremes. Makes me cringe and wonder

The whole story is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Paul
I especially like the bit about the vehicle carrying the mechanics running out of fuel en route... Classic!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.07.2008, 15:10
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,082
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 733 Times in 382 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why I DON'T like to fly...

Quote:
View Post
If you are interested in reading about such incidents, you may be interested in the Risks Digest which catalogues incidents from many industries. They also host the safety-critical systems club should your interest be more technical.

dave
I'm "interested"...hehe... nice one.
No, it's just that for some reason this particular incident incites a series of thoughts - some have to do with real-life experiences in a totally different context.

And the manner in which the "quality chain" of risk-control, doublechecks, etc went down the drain in the Gimli incident only reinforces my long-held doubts about construction and management of nu-ku-lear®© power plants.

D'uh...!

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.07.2008, 15:44
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,875
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why I DON'T like to fly...

One reason that I do not like to fly is shown on this video

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.07.2008, 15:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why I DON'T like to fly...

Quote:
View Post
One reason that I do not like to fly is shown on this video
You're sure you didn't work for SAA when back in S. Africa. Second post today with references
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.07.2008, 16:07
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,875
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,610 Times in 3,659 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why I DON'T like to fly...

Quote:
View Post
You're sure you didn't work for SAA when back in S. Africa. Second post today with references
I used to fly by SAA back in time or Kulula.com, but not intercontinental flights. Just no meaningful insinuation
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.07.2008, 12:13
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,696
Groaned at 383 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 13,071 Times in 4,477 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why I DON'T like to fly...

This will cheer you up -

Hole forces Qantas plane to land

Nobody wants to say the word - but I will "bomb"...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.07.2008, 12:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why I DON'T like to fly...

Quote:
View Post
This will cheer you up -

Hole forces Qantas plane to land

Nobody wants to say the word - but I will "bomb"...
You forgot to precede it with "rubbish"...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone fly model Helis? Chiwi Travel/day trips/free time 20 19.04.2009 13:18
Fly fishing Projectman Introductions 20 21.07.2008 07:26
Old airplanes that fly over our flats? What are they doing Zug bound General off-topic 3 18.05.2008 11:37
Address for the Fly?? jblik Other/general 5 20.10.2007 09:04
Greetings - new here - can anyone please tell me about the Fly card? ozibird Introductions 6 31.07.2007 23:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0