Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.01.2020, 17:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Have you ever noticed that the German pedestrians rarely walk against a red traffic signal in Germany. At least thats what I have noticed in Konstanz. I was the only one who did it. Felt like I was breaking the law! Here in ZH its the accepted thing to walk againt a red signal.

Last edited by omtatsat; 24.01.2020 at 18:15.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.01.2020, 18:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pedetrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
Have you ever noticed that the German pedestrians rarely walk against a red traffic signal in Germany. At least thats what I have noticed in Konstanz. I was the only one who did it. Felt like I was breaking the law! Here in ZH its the accepted thing to walk againt a red signal.
Yes, it's explicitly forbidden in Germany, as I first noticed on a trip there forty-odd years ago. Same in parts of the US, people will blithely wait at a red man regardless of the emptiness of the road they want to cross.

Always seemed weird to me, but the rule's the rule...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.01.2020, 18:07
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,154
Groaned at 409 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 17,131 Times in 9,637 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedetrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
Yes, it's explicitly forbidden in Germany, as I first noticed on a trip there forty-odd years ago. Same in parts of the US, people will blithely wait at a red man regardless of the emptiness of the road they want to cross.

Always seemed weird to me, but the rule's the rule...
Yeah, my dad got told off by a policeman in the States for jaywalking. That was back in the 50s/60s.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.01.2020, 18:08
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,607
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,416 Times in 18,128 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedetrians in Germany-red light

It's illegal here as well.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.01.2020, 18:10
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Pedetrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
It's illegal here as well.

Tom
If I see the Fuzz I don't cross I guess the Germans are more law respecting
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.01.2020, 18:29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Must be a matter of perspective, from a Dutch point of view the Swiss really do respect their red lights.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.01.2020, 20:48
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,714
Groaned at 294 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 24,967 Times in 10,546 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
Have you ever noticed that the German pedestrians rarely walk against a red traffic signal in Germany. At least thats what I have noticed in Konstanz. I was the only one who did it. Felt like I was breaking the law! Here in ZH its the accepted thing to walk againt a red signal.
Maybe because Konstanz is a little town in the boneys.

If you go somewhere bigger you will make a different observation.

A bit like comparing pedestrians in Zürich with pedestrians in say, Rothrist.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24.01.2020, 20:53
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,714
Groaned at 294 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 24,967 Times in 10,546 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedetrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
Yes, it's explicitly forbidden in Germany, as I first noticed on a trip there forty-odd years ago.
I think if you ask a German lawyer they will tell you that it's more complicated than that. But most Germans believe it is forbidden, which is why they behave accordingly.

I friend of mine jay walked at a red light in Germany once and didn't see there was a policemen behind him. The policeman waited until the light turned green and then ran to catch him. If that isn't police ethics for you . The policemen didn't scold him for crossing at a red light, but for doing so so blatantly in front of a policeman. He got away with a verbal warning and never heard of the matter again.

So if you want to jaywalk, look behind you first to make sure there isn't a policeman watching.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.01.2020, 20:59
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,273
Groaned at 216 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 19,363 Times in 7,881 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
If I see the Fuzz I don't cross I guess the Germans are more law respecting
Or less observant.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.01.2020, 21:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pedetrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
I think if you ask a German lawyer they will tell you that it's more complicated than that. But most Germans believe it is forbidden, which is why they behave accordingly.
It is forbidden, no clue what makes you think this is not the case.

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/fussgaenger/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.01.2020, 21:46
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Here in Zürich 90% of people go against red. Without a second thought. It belongs to this German mentality that they will wait 5 minutes for the red to change to green. The autocratic German
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24.01.2020, 21:47
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,079
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
Here in Zürich 90% of people go against red. Without a second thought. It belongs to this German mentality that they will wait 5 minutes for the red to change to green. The autocratic German
Never been to a bigger city in Germany, have you?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24.01.2020, 21:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
Here in Zürich 90% of people go against red.
Absolute nonsense.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.01.2020, 22:43
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,697
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,539 Times in 7,508 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
It is forbidden, no clue what makes you think this is not the case.

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/fussgaenger/
It is here too. Fine: Fr. 20.00. In Germany it's only Euro 5.00.

I'm a bit shocked that walking on to a highway is only a Fr. 20.00 fine as well. In Germany even only Euro 10.00.

And by the way, omtatsat, Konstanz is crawling with Swiss. It's a bit like the Chinese in Switzerland. Not representative at all.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25.01.2020, 06:38
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
It is here too. Fine: Fr. 20.00. In Germany it's only Euro 5.00.

I'm a bit shocked that walking on to a highway is only a Fr. 20.00 fine as well. In Germany even only Euro 10.00.

And by the way, omtatsat, Konstanz is crawling with Swiss. It's a bit like the Chinese in Switzerland. Not representative at all.
Yes right. Even the Swiss don't do it in DE!


Walking over the crosswalk in red is like smoking pot
Don't spoil the citizen! Better to plan better, then I don't have to go over the pedestrian strip when it is red

Pedestrian strips are designed to protect pedestrians. And don't hinder. But that's exactly what they do when they have traffic lights. You steal lifetime. There is no car far and wide. But I should wait. And wait. And still waiting.

Do you really stand alone in the rain just because a little red man you don't even know plays up in front of you and orders you to wait?
Certainly not. So I start running - and I don't feel guilty. A car that goes red at the traffic lights causes chaos. A pedestrian who walks through the traffic lights at red does something for his health.

Clearly there are rules. Never, really never, you do that in front of a child. After all, this requires the protection of the zebra crossing. And yes, you don't do that to the police either. It is their job to follow the law. Testing whether they will pay or not is a senseless provocation. But don't be afraid: there will never be a penalty. Going over the pedestrian crossing in red is like smoking pot today: both are established in a majority of the population. Sanctions, on the other hand, will not last long.

I never got a fine. But I live with being shouted at sometimes. But that only happened when I lived in Germany. Germany has the can deposit. And Germany has citizens who like to authoritatively instruct their fellow citizens about the prevailing legal situation. Good citizens stop at red on the sidewalk. Everything else is resistance to the authority of the state.

But we Swiss have no can deposit. We have sidewalks instead of sidewalks. And we manage our problems with personal responsibility. We leave the decision, entirely militia system, to the citizen on the sidewalk. His life is worth something to him. Where it is dangerous and sensible, every pedestrian waits.

There is a simple law: where the pedestrian does not wait, the planning did not take him seriously. For example at the Solothurn main station. Sorry, this is a two-leg disaster. It presses, the SBB are not waiting for you. But you have to wait forever. Car after car. A huge main traffic axis cuts the direct pedestrian connection from the city to the train. And not only that: this street is the unnecessary loop around the neck of the old town. It contracts. That has to change quickly. It also applies to the planning: if you stay with red for too long, you will miss the train at the end and will not get any further.

Last edited by omtatsat; 25.01.2020 at 07:10.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25.01.2020, 07:17
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,079
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
I never got a fine. But I live with being shouted at sometimes. But that only happened when I lived in Germany. Germany has the can deposit. And Germany has citizens who like to authoritatively instruct their fellow citizens about the prevailing legal situation. Good citizens stop at red on the sidewalk. Everything else is resistance to the authority of the state.

But we Swiss have no can deposit. We have sidewalks instead of sidewalks. And we manage our problems with personal responsibility. We leave the decision, entirely militia system, to the citizen on the sidewalk. His life is worth something to him. Where it is dangerous and sensible, every pedestrian waits.
Another sweeping generalisation...................
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25.01.2020, 07:20
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
Another sweeping generalisation...................
Yes could be.

"Where it is dangerous and sensible, every pedestrian waits."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25.01.2020, 13:29
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 288
Groaned at 199 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 995 Times in 467 Posts
Full Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond reputeFull Circle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedestrians in Germany-red light

I understand the logic behind it is mainly is to set a good example for the children.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 25.01.2020, 16:43
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,714
Groaned at 294 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 24,967 Times in 10,546 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pedetrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
It is forbidden, no clue what makes you think this is not the case.



https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/fussgaenger/
I’m not a lawyer and maybe I misunderstood somethings I was told , but this is what I was told by a German lawyer .

The clue is on the page . There is a catalogue of fines, payable if caught and if the police officer feels so inclined . You also pay a fine if you bring in your library book late . It’s what in German they call an Ordnungswidrigkeit . It is enshrined in contractual statutes and bylaws and not in criminal or even civil law.

Factually , any smart lawyer can get you off the hook for paying with some simple tricks . Of course it would cost you more than you save , but that’s not the issue here.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 25.01.2020, 16:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Pedetrians in Germany-red light

Quote:
View Post
I’m not a lawyer and maybe I misunderstood somethings I was told , but this is what I was told by a German lawyer .

The clue is on the page . There is a catalogue of fines, payable if caught and if the police officer feels so inclined . You also pay a fine if you bring in your library book late . It’s what in German they call an Ordnungswidrigkeit . It is enshrined in contractual statutes and bylaws and not in criminal or even civil law.

Factually , any smart lawyer can get you off the hook for paying with some simple tricks . Of course it would cost you more than you save , but that’s not the issue here.

Ordnungswidrigkeit. HaHa. Thats from the last century. They still have not got around to revising it.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sleep, Blue Light, White Light, SAD, Depression CathHarmony Family matters/health 24 17.12.2015 19:02
Beam of light from light bulb how? I am a Panda bear Other/general 28 03.05.2012 16:31
10.000 lux of Light (light craving) Guest Family matters/health 9 16.12.2010 21:20
Red Light Fine..... Konstanz (Germany) H in CH Transportation/driving 3 15.10.2010 18:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0