Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 31.03.2020, 12:11
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 540
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 300 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
longest month

It's March 31st. Personal matters aside, I cannot remember a longer month in my life. I'm in my mid 40s and come from a relatively wealthy part of the UK that has been at peace since the English Civil War, so I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced conflict or economic depression or upheaval or famine or natural disaster.

April is 30 days. Will it seem even longer than March this year?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31.03.2020, 12:29
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 3,798
Groaned at 166 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 7,020 Times in 2,747 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYqyYAKGC0
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31.03.2020, 12:44
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,951
Groaned at 146 Times in 129 Posts
Thanked 6,822 Times in 3,144 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
It's March 31st. Personal matters aside, I cannot remember a longer month in my life. I'm in my mid 40s and come from a relatively wealthy part of the UK that has been at peace since the English Civil War, so I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced conflict or economic depression or upheaval or famine or natural disaster.

April is 30 days. Will it seem even longer than March this year?
Technically it was 1 hour shorter than January. Or May.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31.03.2020, 12:48
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: longest month

We had the 1st confirmed case on Feb the 24th, and live was pretty normal in the beginning of March, so am afraid that April will feel even longer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31.03.2020, 12:50
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,105
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,141 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

For me this can't last long enough to be honest..... I am happy as a bug in a rug with the lockdown.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31.03.2020, 13:29
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 3,798
Groaned at 166 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 7,020 Times in 2,747 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
For me this can't last long enough to be honest..... I am happy as a bug in a rug with the lockdown.
I'm sure all the doctors and nurses and people with loved ones in the hospital on ventilators feel the same.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31.03.2020, 13:29
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 540
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 300 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
Technically it was 1 hour shorter than January. Or May.
Nobody likes a smartarse
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31.03.2020, 13:50
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,593 Times in 742 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
It's March 31st. Personal matters aside, I cannot remember a longer month in my life. I'm in my mid 40s and come from a relatively wealthy part of the UK that has been at peace since the English Civil War, so I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced conflict or economic depression or upheaval or famine or natural disaster.

April is 30 days. Will it seem even longer than March this year?
I'm 38 YO and March 2009 seemed longer. It was the bottom of the Great Recession. I was worried about getting fired at the time, my investments were -79%. I remember one day of that month just leaving the office, buying a six pack, drinking alone in the kitchen and going to bed at 18h00.

At least for me, this time is different, less bad.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31.03.2020, 14:05
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 540
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 300 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
I'm 38 YO and March 2009 seemed longer. It was the bottom of the Great Recession. I was worried about getting fired at the time, my investments were -79%. I remember one day of that month just leaving the office, buying a six pack, drinking alone in the kitchen and going to bed at 18h00.

At least for me, this time is different, less bad.
I was fortunate enough to feel few effects of that recession, but I understand what you are saying.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31.03.2020, 14:08
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,932
Groaned at 467 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 21,183 Times in 8,706 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
It's March 31st. Personal matters aside, I cannot remember a longer month in my life?
It's gone really quickly for me. Far too much to do. I can't believe it's already April tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31.03.2020, 14:24
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 540
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 300 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
It's gone really quickly for me. Far too much to do. I can't believe it's already April tomorrow.
I'm struggling with the not going out and the having to fill out the form with the start hour (I live in France) every time I go out is driving me nuts . Yes, I know it could be a lot worse and it's necessary, I'm not disputing that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31.03.2020, 14:35
Ace1's Avatar
A modal singularity
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS (and Alsace)
Posts: 8,425
Groaned at 328 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 14,037 Times in 6,163 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
I'm struggling with the not going out and the having to fill out the form with the start hour (I live in France) every time I go out is driving me nuts . Yes, I know it could be a lot worse and it's necessary, I'm not disputing that.
I'm going out about once every two or three days, for shopping and stuff, but I filled in the form in pencil, so now each time I go out I simply erase the date and time and replace it, takes about ten seconds. Been controlled once, couple of days ago, no problem - they looked at the form, asked where I was living (two homes always confuses the gendarmes), nodded OK, then asked to see (Swiss) car documents and were more concerned with recording the car plates, for some unknown reason.

With a relatively isolated house, big garden and stuff we're used to not seeing so many people day to day. But I think it must be a lot worse for single folk, particularly if you're used to meeting friends all the time.
__________________
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31.03.2020, 14:53
EastEnders's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: former Biennoise, now in Belp
Posts: 2,105
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,141 Posts
EastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond reputeEastEnders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
I'm sure all the doctors and nurses and people with loved ones in the hospital on ventilators feel the same.
There's always one......

At least I am not adding to their workload...

....and btw within 5 weeks my family had to deal with 4 deaths (of non Corona causes) so no need to be sarky.
Life is shitty enough as it is, but I refuse to be pessimistic on top of it and rather pinpoint the (for me) good things!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31.03.2020, 15:19
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 540
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 300 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
I'm going out about once every two or three days, for shopping and stuff, but I filled in the form in pencil, so now each time I go out I simply erase the date and time and replace it, takes about ten seconds. Been controlled once, couple of days ago, no problem - they looked at the form, asked where I was living (two homes always confuses the gendarmes), nodded OK, then asked to see (Swiss) car documents and were more concerned with recording the car plates, for some unknown reason.

With a relatively isolated house, big garden and stuff we're used to not seeing so many people day to day. But I think it must be a lot worse for single folk, particularly if you're used to meeting friends all the time.
I reuse the form as well, of course - it's the justification for going out and the timekeeping that I find difficult. I'm (fortunately for me) not used to having to worry about being checked by the police. I also get glared at suspiciously whenever I run within 10m of anyone - I do my best to keep my distance but roads have limited widths!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 31.03.2020, 18:03
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,137
Groaned at 167 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,490 Times in 2,948 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
It's March 31st. Personal matters aside, I cannot remember a longer month in my life. I'm in my mid 40s and come from a relatively wealthy part of the UK that has been at peace since the English Civil War, so I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced conflict or economic depression or upheaval or famine or natural disaster.

April is 30 days. Will it seem even longer than March this year?
Well, I know it might sound strange but it really is a case of getting used to a new kind of normal.

Forty years ago I was in the Irish Navy Reserve, while in college and back in those days we were regularly called up to cover for permanent staff going on holidays, out sick or to do Aid to the Civil Power (Supporting police operations). The first time I went to sea was for four weeks and during the first week I though I'd go crazy. The day basically consisted of 8 hours of work and 16 hours lying on your bunk, interrupted by 4 breaks to go get food from the galley - no you could not just go to the fridge when every you wanted and the milk went off after day three so it was powder after that... We had none of the media devices you have now nor the internet, so it was reading all the way, it's amazing what you will read when there is nothing else - math, law, science, history, the dandy and the beno! Each man was asked to bring about 3 books on board, so you had about 150 books to read on the patrol boat over the period and probably about 4 to hours to read everyday.

But here is the thing, it became normal... so this lockdown is peanuts for me.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 31.03.2020, 18:17
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 540
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 747 Times in 300 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
Well, I know it might sound strange but it really is a case of getting used to a new kind of normal.

Forty years ago I was in the Irish Navy Reserve, while in college and back in those days we were regularly called up to cover for permanent staff going on holidays, out sick or to do Aid to the Civil Power (Supporting police operations). The first time I went to sea was for four weeks and during the first week I though I'd go crazy. The day basically consisted of 8 hours of work and 16 hours lying on your bunk, interrupted by 4 breaks to go get food from the galley - no you could not just go to the fridge when every you wanted and the milk went off after day three so it was powder after that... We had none of the media devices you have now nor the internet, so it was reading all the way, it's amazing what you will read when there is nothing else - math, law, science, history, the dandy and the beno! Each man was asked to bring about 3 books on board, so you had about 150 books to read on the patrol boat over the period and probably about 4 to hours to read everyday.

But here is the thing, it became normal... so this lockdown is peanuts for me.
Thanks, that's made me smile . How big was the boat?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 31.03.2020, 18:27
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,125
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,240 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

honestly it feels like march 391st to me....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31.03.2020, 18:39
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored˛
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,301
Groaned at 289 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 17,733 Times in 9,195 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Not sure if it is longer than usually..but 18hr work days are wearing us out. And the constant technology thing, too. Humans are not exactly made to exist and function only virtually, it is a certain special fatigue and understimulation that technology induces.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 31.03.2020, 18:40
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored˛
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,301
Groaned at 289 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 17,733 Times in 9,195 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
Nobody likes a smartarse
There is a smartass and a smartass.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 31.03.2020, 18:41
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 3,798
Groaned at 166 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 7,020 Times in 2,747 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: longest month

Quote:
View Post
There's always one......

At least I am not adding to their workload...

....and btw within 5 weeks my family had to deal with 4 deaths (of non Corona causes) so no need to be sarky.
Life is shitty enough as it is, but I refuse to be pessimistic on top of it and rather pinpoint the (for me) good things!!
The point is that simply because you (or anyone) are actually enjoying the consequences of this pandemic, I think it's important to keep in mind all the people who are suffering because of it and whose experiences are so different from our own. Imagine what a doctor having to deal with a crowded hospital full of patients struggling for their lives on ventilators right now might think of someone saying that they are actually enjoying this pandemic and the resulting lock-down. You can interpret that as being snarky, if you wish. But the fact is, there are a lot of people in the world suffering right now due to this virus, in various ways, and personally, I just think it's rather disrespectful for someone to say that it's something they're enjoying. My previous comment was also written not long after watching part of a recent Trump rally where Trump was talking about the coronavirus as being a good thing due to the fact that it's improved his ratings.

Last edited by Pancakes; 31.03.2020 at 19:21.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
longest pending permit has been? BLP Permits/visas/government 25 13.03.2019 11:19
Who's been here longest? PaddyG General off-topic 42 06.10.2015 00:50
Longest traffic jam in the world ? jrspet International affairs/politics 2 06.02.2013 09:28
The longest day of my life...... mimi1981 Daily life 9 02.03.2010 09:33
The longest in CH without being good at German? :-( Bambi Language corner 26 27.09.2006 14:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0