Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.10.2020, 11:31
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 13,467
Groaned at 106 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 20,875 Times in 9,200 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Hi all,

I, the muddle-headed god parent still need a present for my god child's fifth birthday and I have no really good idea what I should wrap into some nice colorful papers.

Any ideas? What does your grand child, god child, or own child like at that age?

Sorry, strictly excluded are electronic toys. But it can be a bit "freakish" in the end I am also the unconsidered god parent which can do a bit beyond the usual. For example last year he got a Swiss pocket knife (and a binocular for Christmas).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.10.2020, 11:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,806
Groaned at 38 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 28,430 Times in 8,714 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Another clueless aunt and godparent here.

At that age, the young'uns loved science or 'building' related toys. (Parents approved too.)

And dinosaurs.

So one of the big hits was a series of archeology toys, kits where the child excavates dinosaur bones and then builds the skeleton. At 5, perhaps best done with an adult, so along with the kit I took the kiddies to Chicago's Field Museum to see the dinosaur skeletons, along with an age-appropriate learning experience. Then we played archeologist together and built our skeleton. If the child is in Switzerland, the Dinosaur museum is fun.)

This isn't quite the same kit (as it was years ago) but similar:
https://pastorini.ch/de/A~231.309/Au...tops-11-teilig

The same concept can be done for any age-appropriate model kit, whatever the child finds fascinating. The Verkehrsmuseum and model trains, for instance.

A trip to Pastorini is always worth it - and whenever I felt lost, the sales people were always ready to help clueless tangentially related adults.


ETA:

Pastorini has a search by age function - mighty handy for adult gift givers. I took a peek at the 5+ suggestions, and one caught my eye that I wish had been available back then: Matador wooden element building sets, which allow the child to build planes, cars, fortresses, etc.
https://pastorini.ch/de/3~410600~sor...lter/5_?pno=22

Also recommended for kids 5+: Kites. Or stilts. Or a child's wooden bow and (rubber suction tipped) arrow set. My sisters would have killed me if I'd bought the last for my nieces and nephews... but I know the kiddiwinks would have been thrilled. That's the fun of being the 'cool' godparent.

Last edited by meloncollie; 19.10.2020 at 14:33.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.10.2020, 11:55
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,560
Groaned at 290 Times in 247 Posts
Thanked 25,382 Times in 10,268 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Kapla is pretty good for that age. Not plastic and requires them to use their imagination.

https://www.manor.ch/de/shop/spielwa...yAAEgIch_D_BwE
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.10.2020, 16:32
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,234
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,739 Times in 697 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

I second dinosaurs
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19.10.2020, 17:00
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 13,467
Groaned at 106 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 20,875 Times in 9,200 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Quote:
View Post
I took the kiddies to Chicago's Field Museum to see the dinosaur skeletons
Sue is cool

Here we have the Saurier Museum Aathal and there is also one in the Frick.

In the past we went to a quarry to dig for ammonites.

Fun fact: Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago has a Swiss Jolly Ball which like the Tourist Flipper in the Swiss Verkehrshaus Lucerne was designed by Charles Morgan.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19.10.2020, 17:03
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 13,467
Groaned at 106 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 20,875 Times in 9,200 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Quote:
View Post
Kapla is pretty good for that age. Not plastic and requires them to use their imagination.
Right. Just reminds me that niece and nephew simply used parquet flooring tiles.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19.10.2020, 17:13
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Quote:
View Post
Another clueless aunt and godparent here.

At that age, the young'uns loved science or 'building' related toys. (Parents approved too.)

And dinosaurs.

So one of the big hits was a series of archeology toys, kits where the child excavates dinosaur bones and then builds the skeleton. At 5, perhaps best done with an adult, so along with the kit I took the kiddies to Chicago's Field Museum to see the dinosaur skeletons, along with an age-appropriate learning experience. Then we played archeologist together and built our skeleton. If the child is in Switzerland, the Dinosaur museum is fun.)

This isn't quite the same kit (as it was years ago) but similar:
https://pastorini.ch/de/A~231.309/Au...tops-11-teilig

The same concept can be done for any age-appropriate model kit, whatever the child finds fascinating. The Verkehrsmuseum and model trains, for instance.

A trip to Pastorini is always worth it - and whenever I felt lost, the sales people were always ready to help clueless tangentially related adults.


ETA:

Pastorini has a search by age function - mighty handy for adult gift givers. I took a peek at the 5+ suggestions, and one caught my eye that I wish had been available back then: Matador wooden element building sets, which allow the child to build planes, cars, fortresses, etc.
https://pastorini.ch/de/3~410600~sor...lter/5_?pno=22

Also recommended for kids 5+: Kites. Or stilts. Or a child's wooden bow and (rubber suction tipped) arrow set. My sisters would have killed me if I'd bought the last for my nieces and nephews... but I know the kiddiwinks would have been thrilled. That's the fun of being the 'cool' godparent.
I'd second the dinosaur museum; also a present for the parents if you take him :-)

On the excavation toy, they vary in practicality. My daughter got one which came with a plastic hammer and chisel but the "dig" seemed to be made out of real stone. After we got very tired of incessant banging and no progress I had to help take it apart with the real tools.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19.10.2020, 18:31
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,435
Groaned at 314 Times in 227 Posts
Thanked 11,917 Times in 4,476 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

I always prefer books as gifts for my son. There are some nice science-oriented ones for kids around 5 years-old (e.g. National Geographic kid's books, etc.).

Another gift idea would be a Rubik's Cube. It's not electronic (though it is plastic), and Rubik's Cubes can help kids learn some logic skills and would be something that they would still probably play with a few years from now.

Recently, we've really been getting into the ThinkFun games, like "Rush Hour," which also help teach kids logic skills and is something they can play by themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19.10.2020, 18:47
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,976
Groaned at 32 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 5,713 Times in 2,281 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Playmobiles are a must at my place. My kids usually go for a theme (at the moment it’s the construction site) and family members all offer a pack corresponding to the theme. They then pool their packs together and can have fun for ages. Even my 14yo is still playing!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19.10.2020, 18:59
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Playmobil. Air drying clay. Lots of water toys and pool toys. Gun for blowing bubbles and liters of bubble soap. Board games that make noise or require funny role playing. A reading aid pen and books. Paints, apron, brushes. Anything to record oneself with and a microphone. Real music school xylophone. Simple keyboard. Harmonica.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19.10.2020, 21:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,053
Groaned at 114 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 14,001 Times in 5,696 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Suggestion - An outing or activity together

Visit to the zoo, to a children's musical performance, on a journey by train or ship (limit the duration to be age-appropriate), a day building something together, a movie with a biiiig box of popcorn, etc. Go cycling (or teach the child to ride a bike), go swimming or to a water park (and teach the child to swim).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.10.2020, 08:21
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,234
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,739 Times in 697 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Oh, I forgot. Kinetic sand. Hard to explain, but kids can spend hours being creative with the stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.10.2020, 08:40
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Kinetic sand is awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20.10.2020, 09:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,807
Groaned at 463 Times in 380 Posts
Thanked 18,446 Times in 9,331 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I, the muddle-headed god parent still need a present for my god child's fifth birthday and I have no really good idea what I should wrap into some nice colorful papers.

Any ideas? What does your grand child, god child, or own child like at that age?

Sorry, strictly excluded are electronic toys. But it can be a bit "freakish" in the end I am also the unconsidered god parent which can do a bit beyond the usual. For example last year he got a Swiss pocket knife (and a binocular for Christmas).

With my kids you wouldn't have to go over the top. I know it might be overdone but my kids are into Lego building since they were very little (first with Lego Duplo then Lego City etc) and they're always happy to get new sets and mini figures. Other than that, books, puzzles, musical instruments, big stuffed toys, they can't have enough of them.

If it wasn't for covid-19, I'd have recommended you to take your nephew and niece to a show like this. Or to a Legoland. Maybe next year.

http://www.maerchenbuehne.ch
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20.10.2020, 09:40
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,835
Groaned at 334 Times in 287 Posts
Thanked 24,894 Times in 10,122 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Lego.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.11.2020, 17:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Halen
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
fabelmer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I, the muddle-headed god parent still need a present for my god child's fifth birthday and I have no really good idea what I should wrap into some nice colorful papers.

Any ideas? What does your grand child, god child, or own child like at that age?

Sorry, strictly excluded are electronic toys. But it can be a bit "freakish" in the end I am also the unconsidered god parent which can do a bit beyond the usual. For example last year he got a Swiss pocket knife (and a binocular for Christmas).

KidiZoom Creator Cam


Now children like to shoot everything on camera. In addition, this toy can help develop a rather useful skill.


Or Lego. Lego is always good
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.11.2020, 18:54
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 13,467
Groaned at 106 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 20,875 Times in 9,200 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Thank you so much for all your ideas and inputs.

I found something: A box with various experiments which we can perform together. https://www.kosmos.de/experimentierk...imentierkasten
this will be extended with a visit to the Technorama Winterthur.
https://www.technorama.ch/en/home


If he becomes interested in experiments and such we can drive it further and further.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10.11.2020, 19:11
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 15,368
Groaned at 303 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 19,564 Times in 8,246 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you so much for all your ideas and inputs.

I found something: A box with various experiments which we can perform together. https://www.kosmos.de/experimentierk...imentierkasten
this will be extended with a visit to the Technorama Winterthur.
https://www.technorama.ch/en/home


If he becomes interested in experiments and such we can drive it further and further.
I liked the chemistry kits. esp. the ones where you could make explosions or start fires.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10.11.2020, 19:23
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,855
Groaned at 378 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 8,128 Times in 3,472 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Quote:
View Post
I liked the chemistry kits. esp. the ones where you could make explosions or start fires.
Or the moonshining ones.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10.11.2020, 20:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,806
Groaned at 38 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 28,430 Times in 8,714 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed - A toy for a five year old boy. Tips?

Quote:
View Post

I found something: A box with various experiments which we can perform together. https://www.kosmos.de/experimentierk...imentierkasten
this will be extended with a visit to the Technorama Winterthur.
https://www.technorama.ch/en/home


If he becomes interested in experiments and such we can drive it further and further.
Seriously cool! He's one lucky kid.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lausanne tips needed khrushka Housing in general 11 13.11.2015 00:46
Teaching English to a dyslexic 11 year old - tips needed! Kàrmi Language corner 12 25.11.2011 21:14
Gardening tips needed Helm Housing in general 4 17.06.2011 17:52
Anyone been to Bulgaria? Currency and other tips needed! jttraveller General off-topic 0 10.10.2010 11:30
End of year tax tips: myth / reality defcon3 Finance/banking/taxation 7 14.12.2009 21:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0