English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   General off-topic (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/)
-   -   Portal (https://www.englishforum.ch/general-off-topic/304857-portal.html)

newtoswitz 04.07.2021 10:16

Portal
 
I know it's just a video conference device, but this is somehow so cool in design:

Portal: Lithuania and Poland build a window connecting two cities

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-57694055

robBob 04.07.2021 10:19

Re: Portal
 
Pity that it doesn't work when you try to walk through it

newtoswitz 04.07.2021 10:22

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robBob (Post 3324329)
Pity that it doesn't work when you try to walk through it

It would have high comedy value for those watching, so that's something.

FairDinkum 04.07.2021 10:44

Re: Portal
 
That's cute .. A bit like something "to amuse sheeple" ;):o

But what I find most disturbing is this advert video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4IqnjXPoQ

and there should've been a tons of reactions about it (from sociologists, psychologists, etc) but nothing hmm:(

ennui 04.07.2021 11:29

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3324335)
That's cute .. A bit like something "to amuse sheeple" ;):o

But what I find most disturbing is this advert video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4IqnjXPoQ

and there should've been a tons of reactions about it (from sociologists, psychologists, etc) but nothing hmm:(

Why? The technology? The idea of having a phone implanted? You can always receive calls, but at the moment in the video need a device to make outgoing calls. Not really the point though….the point is the human interaction, persisting regardless of technology.

The family dynamic is pretty traditional….the kid wants mom to tell her dad.
No matter what technology brings, kids still need support from their parents.

curley 04.07.2021 12:39

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 3324327)
I know it's just a video conference device, but this is somehow so cool in design:

Portal: Lithuania and Poland build a window connecting two cities

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-57694055

Nice.
Crossed my mind how the Germans would have loved this when they were still divided. Or the Koreans still.

@FairDinkum, what a frightened, insecure creature you must be. Pitiful
The jump from newtoswitz window-thingy to the video (advert? It's on the market then? :msnsarcastic:) you linked takes some paranoia, eih? But all your post seem full of this fear.
Anyway, this implemented "handy" still has a long way to go: How stupid is it that it seems necessary to put your hand up to the ear like a Neandertal? :rofl:

However, have a nice Sunday. I'm sure you'll find something to scare the shit out of you.

FairDinkum 04.07.2021 14:22

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ennui (Post 3324363)
Why? The technology? The idea of having a phone implanted? You can always receive calls, but at the moment in the video need a device to make outgoing calls.

Noooo , why would someone be a bit disturbed by that?? :o:o:o seems so perfectly designed for the New Normal :))

I still am trying to figure out , why people accept things that are in a short or long road extremely dangerous and are leading to a loss of liberty and other issues. :)

Axa 04.07.2021 14:25

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3324335)
That's cute .. A bit like something "to amuse sheeple" ;):o

But what I find most disturbing is this advert video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4IqnjXPoQ

and there should've been a tons of reactions about it (from sociologists, psychologists, etc) but nothing hmm:(

The most surprising thing of that video is watching a full restaurant :rofl:

Well, what other technology that you don't like or understand scares you?

FairDinkum 04.07.2021 14:26

Re: Portal
 
curley , I'm even worse than that :p in that Portal thing I see selling us the holographic imagery which also I consider dangerous and useless :)

actually more I look at the "Portal" video I find it even stupider than before :D

ps: true, someone tried to drag me to an american bar today so we have a 4July party but I got scared:) (that i'd be drink driving) so you see I'm not all that bad after all :msnblush:

nickatbasel 04.07.2021 14:34

Re: Portal
 
Not to mention it probably uses 5G. Eh FairBunkum?

FairDinkum 04.07.2021 14:43

Re: Portal
 
you are pro 5G ? why ? :o

AbFab 04.07.2021 14:52

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3324461)
you are pro 5G ? why ? :o

Because it‘s better than 4G,
which was better than 3G,
which was better than 2G,
which was better than 1G.
Which was better than 2 cans and a string, I suppose??

nickatbasel 04.07.2021 14:53

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3324461)
you are pro 5G ? why ? :o

I got it free with my Pfizer jab. You know the AZ jab comes with a Bluetooth option? It would be great if there was an integration with SwissPass.

FairDinkum 04.07.2021 15:11

Re: Portal
 
nickat, are you talking about this ?;)


https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs...zNhVuWClvB0ly4


or this (called badass):))

https://i.postimg.cc/v86JHbb1/Screen...t-14-10-31.png

FairDinkum 04.07.2021 15:13

Re: Portal
 
AbFab, abfab would never put a mask:cool:

and, what exactly do you need the 5G for ? download celery soup recipes? chat to your friends? watch youtube tutorials on how to clean your carpet? :msnblush:

Axa 04.07.2021 15:17

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3324484)
AbFab, abfab would never put a mask:cool:

and, what exactly do you need the 5G for ? download celery soup recipes? chat to your friends? watch youtube tutorials on how to clean your carpet? :msnblush:

To begin with, read and comment in EF :D

FairDinkum 04.07.2021 15:21

Re: Portal
 
I wish I'd receive some nudes in my inbox , I think all this talk is just using me up :rolleyes: to whoever wants to participate: dont wait for 5G it works with 4G as well :msngrin:

MusicChick 04.07.2021 15:23

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3324484)
AbFab, abfab would never put a mask:cool:

and, what exactly do you need the 5G for ? download celery soup recipes? chat to your friends? watch youtube tutorials on how to clean your carpet? :msnblush:

Hahahaha...You made my belated spring cleaning much more joyous with your celery soup recipes and mattresse cleaning youtubes :D

curley 04.07.2021 15:29

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axa (Post 3324447)
The most surprising thing of that video is watching a full restaurant :rofl: ....

True. Bloody scary, innit? We're not going back to that, are we? :eek::eek:

This thread came two days late.

MusicChick 04.07.2021 15:31

Re: Portal
 
I like the Portal idea. They should build it between worlds that are harder to imagine..I'd like a window to the Uighurs? Belarus? North Korea?

FairDinkum 04.07.2021 16:16

Re: Portal
 
:o:D:D Musicchic, that Portal, with my luck so far........
I'm getting all pampered and ready to immerse into that new fab world, city, see amazing things and I open it , and there I have stale face of nickAtbasel and marton and olygirl waiting for me instead of having some crazy bunch of people who are dying to invite me so we do some serious inter-portal in-out pub crawl :D:D:rolleyes:

curley 04.07.2021 16:26

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3324533)
:o:D:D Musicchic, that Portal, with my luck so far........
I'm getting all pampered and ready to immerse into that new fab world, city, see amazing things and I open it , and there I have stale face of nickAtbasel and marton and olygirl waiting for me instead of having some crazy bunch of people who are dying to invite me so we do some serious inter-portal in-out pub crawl :D:D:rolleyes:

Put your money where your mouth is?

All welcome, so no need to be scared.

MusicChick 04.07.2021 16:28

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curley (Post 3324536)

Fixed that for ya :D

ennui 04.07.2021 17:15

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDinkum (Post 3324533)
:o:D:D Musicchic, that Portal, with my luck so far........
I'm getting all pampered and ready to immerse into that new fab world, city, see amazing things and I open it , and there I have stale face of nickAtbasel and marton and olygirl waiting for me instead of having some crazy bunch of people who are dying to invite me so we do some serious inter-portal in-out pub crawl :D:D:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm. How do you know these people have “stale faces”.

curley 04.07.2021 21:05

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 3324327)
I know it's just a video conference device, but this is somehow so cool in design:

Portal: Lithuania and Poland build a window connecting two cities

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-57694055

Thanks for the clue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3324537)
Fixed that for ya :D

Not pleased with you manipulating my posts, presenting them as quotes. Specially as I can't find the joke in your version at all!

FairDinkum 05.07.2021 13:36

Re: Portal
 
ennui, it was said in a joking way :) that's because I had some big battles with them and they dont seem to be funny (to me of course)
And sure, they dont have stale faces, they might be even really fun&gorgeous and me I'm the stale face :msnblush:

FairDinkum 05.07.2021 13:43

Re: Portal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curley (Post 3324678)
Not pleased with you manipulating my posts, presenting them as quotes. Specially as I can't find the joke in your version at all!


ahahaa curley... Soon, some of you guys will be coming here with your lawyer or mummy..

member (A) Mummy mummy look, that girl modified what I said :wail:

mummy : Dear she actually made it so it looks as if you said something that you never said. ?

member(A) Nooooo, she quoted me and the quote she altered a word so they laugh but no meeeeee

mummy : staring in Pikachu surprised face :D

https://i.postimg.cc/fTbr0vjt/Screen...t-12-42-00.png


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:48.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0