Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 26.01.2010, 03:18
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
Er . . . why don't we wait and see what it is and what it does first?
I thought that it was a mix of phone, kindle and laptop, Ipod

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article...tablet-review/
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 26.01.2010, 05:13
magic's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,146
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 798 Times in 335 Posts
magic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
Hi, first post...so, I was wondering:

We have just moved to Vaud (from UK) and our household comprises 1 mac and 2 mac laptops and - can I re-wire the plug on the laptop adaptors to a 3 pin Swiss plug? Is there a voltage issue or anything?

Thanks, in advance, for any help given...
MrShev
I have rewired my power lead for my power adaptors for my Apple laptops (UK) and no issues at all. You should have no issue with the voltage here, in fact I rewired so many appliances that we had from the UK without issue to date.

Quote:
View Post
Er . . . why don't we wait and see what it is and what it does first?
No need, lets face facts, it is going to be bigger than an iphone and men can pretend to having found this piece of slate, clasp lump of chalk in other hand and pretend we discovered it. We can use hand gestures to summon the female of the species to show them our new find, followed by lots of ooohs and arrggghs.

Last edited by vwild1; 27.01.2010 at 22:18. Reason: No need for multiple posts in succession when one single post will suffice.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 26.01.2010, 08:08
Jimmy Bee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 676
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 383 Times in 211 Posts
Jimmy Bee has earned the respect of manyJimmy Bee has earned the respect of manyJimmy Bee has earned the respect of many
Re: The Apple Thread

Are you talking about men ......or women? It seems that i know many more women with macs/iphones than males
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 26.01.2010, 08:09
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

With my Macbook Pro, I can just buy a separate Swiss plug/cord that I can swap with the American one. No rewiring necessary. You could also just use an adapter. The power supplies are universal, so no voltage issues.

fduvall

Quote:
View Post
Hi, first post...so, I was wondering:

We have just moved to Vaud (from UK) and our household comprises 1 mac and 2 mac laptops and - can I re-wire the plug on the laptop adaptors to a 3 pin Swiss plug? Is there a voltage issue or anything?

Thanks, in advance, for any help given...
MrShev
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 26.01.2010, 08:49
mrshev's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 83
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts
mrshev has earned some respectmrshev has earned some respect
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
I have rewired my power lead for my power adaptors for my Apple laptops (UK) and no issues at all. You should have no issue with the voltage here, in fact I rewired so many appliances that we had from the UK without issue to date.
Thank you very much, will get me screwdrivers out then...
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 26.01.2010, 10:36
bARRON's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 447
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 188 Times in 127 Posts
bARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputation
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
Why do you want an ISlate, what do you envisage doing with it. I don't mean to be facetious, I am just picking your brains so that I can justify buying one myself.
I expect it to bring a huge change in the way we use our laptops. In a way, it it will be a modern transition to the old paper and pencil model.

Imagine, you are a student or a business executive. You are in a conference and wants to take notes. You put your hands in the backpack and take out a small slate, press the power button and start to write on it. According to rumours, it will cost you around 700 to 1000 bucks, which is cheap.

For me, it's a kind of hardware that i can use for all mobility. It will be much smaller and thinner than mac air and also cheap. The touch functionality will also be very intuitive and when the version 2 of islate is released, we will have a significant improvement in hand recognition softwares.

I have been waiting for this more than one year and am really excited
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 26.01.2010, 10:41
Gibreal
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple Thread

do you man to say some thing like this, worth watching





Quote:
View Post
I expect it to bring a huge change in the way we use our laptops. In a way, it it will be a modern transition to the old paper and pencil model.

Imagine, you are a student or a business executive. You are in a conference and wants to take notes. You put your hands in the backpack and take out a small slate, press the power button and start to write on it. According to rumours, it will cost you around 700 to 1000 bucks, which is cheap.

For me, it's a kind of hardware that i can use for all mobility. It will be much smaller and thinner than mac air and also cheap. The touch functionality will also be very intuitive and when the version 2 of islate is released, we will have a significant improvement in hand recognition softwares.

I have been waiting for this more than one year and am really excited
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 26.01.2010, 11:29
magic's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,146
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 798 Times in 335 Posts
magic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond reputemagic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
I expect it to bring a huge change in the way we use our laptops. In a way, it it will be a modern transition to the old paper and pencil model.

Imagine, you are a student or a business executive. You are in a conference and wants to take notes. You put your hands in the backpack and take out a small slate, press the power button and start to write on it. According to rumours, it will cost you around 700 to 1000 bucks, which is cheap.

For me, it's a kind of hardware that i can use for all mobility. It will be much smaller and thinner than mac air and also cheap. The touch functionality will also be very intuitive and when the version 2 of islate is released, we will have a significant improvement in hand recognition softwares.

I have been waiting for this more than one year and am really excited
Agree, I think this could be a real start to putting the mouse and the keyboard into the museum. I think a lot of people do not realise just how big a game changer this could be. This would be excellent for me as I only need connectivity as most of the work I do is back end, so I want as light as possible and a connection to the internet highway. (oh, I forgot to say ... please )
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 26.01.2010, 12:09
BaselLife's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,049
Groaned at 38 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 633 Times in 358 Posts
BaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Apple Thread

Hi,

the thing is what you are describing is a tablet pc which has been around for years and has not been commerically successful. Look at what was demonstrated back in 2005. http://jkontherun.com/2010/01/22/tab...l-gates-haiku/

The big problem has been cost, lack of physical keyboard and weight. As it is Apple is likely to be expensive.

What will be radical, will be not the tablet as such but more if it is useful and can be commerically successful. Apple has a very friendly media and so what ever it announces will probably be celebrated as the second coming of the messiah.

Have fun

Martin
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 26.01.2010, 12:31
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

While I agree that most of the tablet PCs that we have seen thus far have not been successful, Apple products since the return of Jobs, have had consistently great user interfaces. If they get it right on a tablet, I think it will be a big hit. Keyboards/mice can be clunky. A tablet with added voice capability...well, that would be even better!

And for the record, I have just started switching over to Mac at the end of last year, after 20+ yrs of PCs. Not a Mac fanboi, but I appreciate a lot of the design...but still think I hate iTunes and Apples insidious plot to enslave us with it...

fduvall

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

the thing is what you are describing is a tablet pc which has been around for years and has not been commerically successful. Look at what was demonstrated back in 2005. http://jkontherun.com/2010/01/22/tab...l-gates-haiku/

The big problem has been cost, lack of physical keyboard and weight. As it is Apple is likely to be expensive.

What will be radical, will be not the tablet as such but more if it is useful and can be commerically successful. Apple has a very friendly media and so what ever it announces will probably be celebrated as the second coming of the messiah.

Have fun

Martin
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 26.01.2010, 12:35
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,223
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

the thing is what you are describing is a tablet pc which has been around for years and has not been commerically successful. Look at what was demonstrated back in 2005. http://jkontherun.com/2010/01/22/tab...l-gates-haiku/

The big problem has been cost, lack of physical keyboard and weight. As it is Apple is likely to be expensive.

What will be radical, will be not the tablet as such but more if it is useful and can be commerically successful. Apple has a very friendly media and so what ever it announces will probably be celebrated as the second coming of the messiah.

Have fun

Martin
What you've got there Martin is indeed a tablet PC, but with full windows shoehorned into it. Other than a virtual keyboard there's not really any interface enhancements that lend themselves to such a device. It's just a PC without a keyboard.

I think what Apple may well have done this time is to refocus the purpose of the device, which knowing Apple means it's going to very media centric. Possibly with little or no functionality with things that we would consider the main staple of computing. i.e wordprocessing etc. As it would seem to be based around the iPhone OS I think that this is almost certainly the case.

Do I want one is the next question. Well as I already have an iPhone which is more portable, and also gives a very good internet experience for a hand held device, I don't think so. I can't imagine what purpose I would put it to.

I'm on the fence at the moment. If it's just an iPod touch with a bigger screen then no. If it offers some "fantastic new experience" then maybe, but only if I can see some value and use in this "fantastic new experience".
__________________
...allegedly.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 26.01.2010, 12:41
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,553
Groaned at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 26.01.2010, 12:50
bARRON's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 447
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 188 Times in 127 Posts
bARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputation
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post

Apple is not going to be happy with this. Whoever messed this up, forgot about the paranoid people in apple.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 26.01.2010, 12:51
bARRON's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 447
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 188 Times in 127 Posts
bARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputationbARRON has an excellent reputation
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
do you man to say some thing like this, worth watching

the video is blocked here. will check it at home
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 26.01.2010, 12:53
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
Apple is not going to be happy with this. Whoever messed this up, forgot about the paranoid people in apple.

Apple LOVE to leak information to the media on purpose. But at 899Euros it looks to be a pretty good deal!
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 26.01.2010, 13:06
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
Hi, first post...so, I was wondering:

We have just moved to Vaud (from UK) and our household comprises 1 mac and 2 mac laptops and - can I re-wire the plug on the laptop adaptors to a 3 pin Swiss plug? Is there a voltage issue or anything?

Thanks, in advance, for any help given...
MrShev
Look at your power supply and it should have a switch that says 120/240 or it should be labeled for both voltages. Most Macs that I have owned in the past 10 years have these universal or switchable power supplies. All you have to do is put the correct plug on them, using an IEC power cord for the country you are in. You shouldn't have to actually "rewire" them per say.

Brian.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 26.01.2010, 13:25
BaselLife's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,049
Groaned at 38 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 633 Times in 358 Posts
BaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeableBaselLife is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Apple Thread

Hi,

wow if the cost without a contract is 899 euros that is incrediblely expensive and even 499 with a mobile contract is very high. I think $1000 is tops as a sensible price which would be about 700 euros. In fact it probably should be in the range of the netbooks and not an expensive notebook.

For that price premium it will really have to offer something radically new.

Have fun

Martin
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 26.01.2010, 14:34
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,553
Groaned at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

wow if the cost without a contract is 899 euros that is incrediblely expensive and even 499 with a mobile contract is very high. I think $1000 is tops as a sensible price which would be about 700 euros. In fact it probably should be in the range of the netbooks and not an expensive notebook.

For that price premium it will really have to offer something radically new.

Have fun

Martin
Sadly, it's a hoax . . .

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/26/tweet_ipad/
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 26.01.2010, 16:11
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 1,999
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple Thread

Quote:
View Post
It looks as if damage control is already in motion. Click the quote below to go to the original site.

Quote:
Update: fscklog reports [Google translation] that a company representative has confirmed that the Twitter account is not an official Media Markt account, and thus the iPad posting is certainly fake.


Brian.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 26.01.2010, 16:26
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple Thread

Look at all the free hype and advertising we are giving it. I was thinking along the same lines as Barron which is why I did not get a Kindle and am holding off on an IPhone. Oh well, the can't keep us in suspense for too long- the pot will go off the boil.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Apple unreleased, unknown, unconfirmed product speculation thread peachy General off-topic 106 16.03.2009 10:29
Official Apple WWDC 2008 Thread robban General off-topic 54 10.06.2008 17:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0