Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.10.2008, 09:33
Arizona Ben's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 119
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 36 Posts
Arizona Ben has earned some respectArizona Ben has earned some respect
Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Hi all,
My wife and I are heading to Lyon, France this weekend to visit with my niece. I would love to hear if anybody has any great restaurant suggestions, sightseeing ideas, or any other tips or advice. We'll just be there for two days, but would like to make the trip short but sweet. We are arriving at, and staying relatively close to the train station if that helps. Thanks in advance,

Ben
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.10.2008, 09:45
dakman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC (heart is split between Switzerland and the Big Apple)
Posts: 1,872
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 901 Times in 543 Posts
dakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,
My wife and I are heading to Lyon, France this weekend to visit with my niece. I would love to hear if anybody has any great restaurant suggestions, sightseeing ideas, or any other tips or advice. We'll just be there for two days, but would like to make the trip short but sweet. We are arriving at, and staying relatively close to the train station if that helps. Thanks in advance,

Ben

I love Lyon, greatest place to eat in France in my opinion. Actual, restaurants, let me see if I can come up with some names and addresses. I assume you won't have a car right?

Sightseeing, take the funicular and see the Roman stadium, the famous church etc. I just love to walk around Lyon, it is quite nice for that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.10.2008, 10:06
Arizona Ben's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 119
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 36 Posts
Arizona Ben has earned some respectArizona Ben has earned some respect
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Yes, we will be without a car. Thanks for thinking about the restaurant ideas...I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.10.2008, 22:16
Arizona Ben's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 119
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 36 Posts
Arizona Ben has earned some respectArizona Ben has earned some respect
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Any of you night owls who didn't see this post earlier have any suggestions? We don't leave until tomorrow afternoon, so there is still time for that perfect restaurant suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.10.2008, 22:22
Hsiang's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Schwingapore
Posts: 1,029
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 705 Times in 372 Posts
Hsiang has a reputation beyond reputeHsiang has a reputation beyond reputeHsiang has a reputation beyond reputeHsiang has a reputation beyond reputeHsiang has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

hey ben, if u are without internet as well, u could pm me your cell no, and i can forward u the info as it comes in...just like reuters
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.10.2008, 22:47
81joe81's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
81joe81 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Quote:
View Post
Any of you night owls who didn't see this post earlier have any suggestions? We don't leave until tomorrow afternoon, so there is still time for that perfect restaurant suggestion.
I can suggest you one of the Paul Bocuse's brasseries: Nord, Sud, Est, Ouest, Argenson.
Here's the official website: http://www.nordsudbrasseries.com/
I've been at the Sud brasserie a couple of months ago: refined and nice dishes without spending so much
Have a nice weekend!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31.10.2008, 10:51
dakman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC (heart is split between Switzerland and the Big Apple)
Posts: 1,872
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 901 Times in 543 Posts
dakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Quote:
View Post
I can suggest you one of the Paul Bocuse's brasseries: Nord, Sud, Est, Ouest, Argenson.
Here's the official website: http://www.nordsudbrasseries.com/
I've been at the Sud brasserie a couple of months ago: refined and nice dishes without spending so much
Have a nice weekend!

The above restaurants are very good.

I am not sure which train station you are staying by, there are two the main ones in Lyon, one right in the center of town and the larger onePart Deux which is a little outside of the center. There is a huge mall at Part Deux if you are into that .The train stops at both.

I would recommend the restaurant below it is very near the in town train station. Food is pretty good but the experience is cool, it is just a huge huge restuarant, believe it holds a 1000 peeple
http://www.brasseriegeorges.com/ Plus it is open quite late, I think you can still get food at 11pm

I don't know specific restaurants but there are three specific areas in town I would point you to with lots of restaurants (some of them can be touristy especially near Bellecour but I still find the food pretty good)


1) First area is when you get out of the subway or walk to Bellecour, which is the huge plaza in the middle of town with the equestrian (I think) statue. If you head North and then West two streets there is the Rue de Marronnriers


2) The second area which is further to the North but about a ten minute walk is I believe the Rue Antonio Sallies. It is little street which has alot of restaurants (French mostly) with decent prices....I am only 90% sure that is the right street so you may want to check with the hotel

3) the third area is across the river on the west side near the Norte Dame church (Called Vieux Lyon) quite a few restaurants and this is actually a great place to walk to see all the old archictecture of Lyon. From here you also get the Funincular or can walk, quite steep up to the Forviere region with the church, mini Eifel tower, ruins

have fun
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31.10.2008, 14:22
Arizona Ben's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 119
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 101 Times in 36 Posts
Arizona Ben has earned some respectArizona Ben has earned some respect
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Thanks Dakman, Joe, Peter, and Hsiang...I really appreciate the advice and we are going to check out the Vieux Lyon, old town area, funiclar, and at least one of the restaurants you all suggested. This kind of advice is exactly why I love the English Forum. I'd thank button all of you if I could, but my thread was moved from travel to general off-topic for some reason, so I can't.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31.10.2008, 14:23
Hsiang's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Schwingapore
Posts: 1,029
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 705 Times in 372 Posts
Hsiang has a reputation beyond reputeHsiang has a reputation beyond reputeHsiang has a reputation beyond reputeHsiang has a reputation beyond reputeHsiang has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

sounds like u're all good to go! have fun n take lots of pics!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.04.2013, 11:06
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Walking Dead thread

We're thinking of heading to Lyon for the Whit Monday weekend, but undecided on train or car. Train is looking pricey for the family, so what is the parking like in central Lyon? Anyone recommend any nice (cheapish) hotels with secure parking?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.04.2013, 11:15
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,975
Groaned at 267 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 23,768 Times in 9,701 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Quote:
View Post
Walking Dead thread

We're thinking of heading to Lyon for the Whit Monday weekend, but undecided on train or car. Train is looking pricey for the family, so what is the parking like in central Lyon? Anyone recommend any nice (cheapish) hotels with secure parking?
We lived there for five years a long time ago and recently went back for a visit to show our son the city.
We stayed in a Lagrange apparthotel at Monplaisir ( not sure if that was right name but I'm sure google can help you. It was reasonably priced, was very near the metro giving easy access into town and Part Dieu and was generally fine for our needs. ( basically a place to sleep for a couple of nights). It's not luxurious neither is it very basic but it does have a secure underground car park which is where our car stayed fir the duration of the visit.
Lyon is a nightmare to drive in and parking is very difficult. Have a look at the dents front and rear on all the parked cars, very much reminiscent if Paris.

Enjoy your trip.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.04.2013, 11:42
iuliananicole's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
iuliananicole has no particular reputation at present
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Hi,

I lived in the old Lyon for 7 months while I was a student and I simply adored Lyon, is a very beautiful city.
I don't know which train station you are talking about, since there are 2 : Part Dieu and Perrache. In any case, the buses and especially the metro are very useful.
To visit I would propose you Bellecour and the surroundings, pass the Saône and take the Funiculaire until terminus and visit the roman theatre and the lovely Basilique de Notre Dame - Fourvière.
You can walk until there but the way is long and hard, soo you will be very tired in the end, soo I recommend the funiculaire.
You can also visit the Parc de la Tête d'or, is a lovely place to relax and walk,Bartholdi's Fontain, very nice to see in the evening with the lights,the Celestins Place, and The Jacobins Place.
For the restaurants I have to search the names, since it's been a while from my last visit there.
Enjoy your stay there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.04.2013, 11:56
iuliananicole's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
iuliananicole has no particular reputation at present
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Quote:
View Post
Walking Dead thread

We're thinking of heading to Lyon for the Whit Monday weekend, but undecided on train or car. Train is looking pricey for the family, so what is the parking like in central Lyon? Anyone recommend any nice (cheapish) hotels with secure parking?
Driving in Lyon is a total nightmare, soo if you can take the train would be better. On the other hand ,this can be very expensive especially for a family.
Soo you could take your car until there and find a parking in the center and use the metro instead.
For the hotel, I couldn't give a name since when I am going there I am staying at my friends place.But I would recommend to look on www.booking .com or top secret hotels last minute ( on google) and you can find nice and not very expensive places to stay. They never let me down before.
Enjoy your stay there.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.04.2013, 13:17
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Quote:
View Post
We lived there for five years a long time ago and recently went back for a visit to show our son the city.
We stayed in a Lagrange apparthotel at Monplaisir ( not sure if that was right name but I'm sure google can help you. It was reasonably priced, was very near the metro giving easy access into town and Part Dieu and was generally fine for our needs. ( basically a place to sleep for a couple of nights). It's not luxurious neither is it very basic but it does have a secure underground car park which is where our car stayed fir the duration of the visit.
Lyon is a nightmare to drive in and parking is very difficult. Have a look at the dents front and rear on all the parked cars, very much reminiscent if Paris.

Enjoy your trip.
Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I lived in the old Lyon for 7 months while I was a student and I simply adored Lyon, is a very beautiful city.
I don't know which train station you are talking about, since there are 2 : Part Dieu and Perrache. In any case, the buses and especially the metro are very useful.
To visit I would propose you Bellecour and the surroundings, pass the Saône and take the Funiculaire until terminus and visit the roman theatre and the lovely Basilique de Notre Dame - Fourvière.
You can walk until there but the way is long and hard, soo you will be very tired in the end, soo I recommend the funiculaire.
You can also visit the Parc de la Tête d'or, is a lovely place to relax and walk,Bartholdi's Fontain, very nice to see in the evening with the lights,the Celestins Place, and The Jacobins Place.
For the restaurants I have to search the names, since it's been a while from my last visit there.
Enjoy your stay there.
Quote:
View Post
Driving in Lyon is a total nightmare, soo if you can take the train would be better. On the other hand ,this can be very expensive especially for a family.
Soo you could take your car until there and find a parking in the center and use the metro instead.
For the hotel, I couldn't give a name since when I am going there I am staying at my friends place.But I would recommend to look on www.booking .com or top secret hotels last minute ( on google) and you can find nice and not very expensive places to stay. They never let me down before.
Enjoy your stay there.
Thank you both for the tips. I kinda figured driving would be a nightmare . Keen to try out the cuisine Lyonaise, but not sure about eating a calf's head .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.04.2013, 23:07
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,975
Groaned at 267 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 23,768 Times in 9,701 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Places to visit, things to do in Lyon France?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you both for the tips. I kinda figured driving would be a nightmare . Keen to try out the cuisine Lyonaise, but not sure about eating a calf's head .
Driving to Lyon shouldn't be a problem and will definitely be cheaper than the train. You just need to find somewhere to stay with parking and leave the car there during your stay. I actually passed my driving test in Lyon and must say that it prepared me very well for driving in Brussels after we moved there.

The hotel Campanile at Part Dieu is also a pretty reasonable place to stay and has a secure car park. It's also very near the large Part Dieu shopping mall which I'm sure your wife and daughters will appreciate.

As well as Fourviere, vieux Lyon and a walk along the Rhone/ Place Bellcour/ Rue de la Republique etc it's also worth a trip out to Parc de la tete d'or.

Tête de veau is actually ok. It's the andouillette you should avoid as that is truly disgusting. The typical Lyon bouchons are nice with traditional Lyonaise cuisine.
There is a nice little restaurant called L'auberge du Rabelais in Vieux Lyon ( on the right just after the cathedral st Jean) which is really nice and has several good value menus.
There is also a British/Irish pub in vieux Lyon but I have never been there. Only knew about it because of the attack in it when the Spurs fans were there.
There was an English pub called the Albion near place des Terreaux when we lived there but that street is seriously seedy looking these days so I wouldn't recommend going there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
french food, weekend trips




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Places to visit Bernese Oberland Polorise Travel/day trips/free time 26 31.08.2009 12:08
7 days in France; places to visit..?? sash4u General off-topic 10 10.10.2008 00:05
Places to Visit in Switzerland sanbuddenmark Travel/day trips/free time 10 08.08.2007 09:10
Places to visit in Bern Guest Travel/day trips/free time 0 24.04.2007 21:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0