Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #861  
Old 01.09.2009, 13:34
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious Musings

Exactly what we were saying the whole time. Evolution isn't perfect, humans aren't perfect. Nothing was created perfect. That's why we have Myopia and loads of other nonsense.
Reply With Quote
  #862  
Old 01.09.2009, 13:39
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
Exactly what we were saying the whole time. Evolution isn't perfect, humans aren't perfect. Nothing was created perfect. That's why we have Myopia and loads of other nonsense.
Evolution is not perfect but is intelligent enough to help Life.. crawl out of water, walk on land and then take flight in the air.
Reply With Quote
  #863  
Old 01.09.2009, 14:55
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,222
Groaned at 43 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 5,200 Times in 2,016 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
Oh, come on. You accused me of lying. Where have I lied?

Maybe not lied but... I remembered something about slavery in the bible?? that was on another thread if it counts for something.
Perhaps you are somewhat misinformed on some things. but hey, we all are depending on the subject.

Last edited by Ouchboy; 01.09.2009 at 14:59. Reason: noticed it was the wrong thread.
Reply With Quote
  #864  
Old 01.09.2009, 15:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
Maybe not lied but... I remembered something about slavery in the bible?? that was on another thread if it counts for something.
Perhaps you are somewhat misinformed on some things. but hey, we all are depending on the subject.

Lied, but not lied? Eh? You're lying!

What about slavery in the Bible?
Reply With Quote
  #865  
Old 01.09.2009, 15:10
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,222
Groaned at 43 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 5,200 Times in 2,016 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
Lied, but not lied? Eh? You're lying!

What about slavery in the Bible?


I remember a reply from you on another forum:

" The Bibile never justified slavery. The whole book is actually about freedom from slavery"

Something like that. but that's kind of OT.
Reply With Quote
  #866  
Old 01.09.2009, 15:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
I remember a reply from you on another forum:

" The Bibile never justified slavery. The whole book is actually about freedom from slavery"

Something like that. but that's kind of OT.

Ah, okay. You caught me on something. Glad you're paying attention.

First off, I don't know everything about the Bible. But I am flattered you thought I might.

It's true that the Bible is about freedom from slavery. The whole story of Exodus is about the movement of the Hebrews from Slavery to liberation. In the spiritual sense, this depicts the liberation of man from slavery to sin and the flesh, to the liberation of the soul.

And as you pointed out, the Hebrews were also allowed to own slaves. But again, slavery in the old days is not the same as our modern concept of slavery. There were forms of voluntary slavery.

Didn't we go over this before?
Reply With Quote
  #867  
Old 01.09.2009, 15:36
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,222
Groaned at 43 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 5,200 Times in 2,016 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
Ah, okay. You caught me on something. Glad you're paying attention.

First off, I don't know everything about the Bible. But I am flattered you thought I might.

It's true that the Bible is about freedom from slavery. The whole story of Exodus is about the movement of the Hebrews from Slavery to liberation. In the spiritual sense, this depicts the liberation of man from slavery to sin and the flesh, to the liberation of the soul.

And as you pointed out, the Hebrews were also allowed to own slaves. But again, slavery in the old days is not the same as our modern concept of slavery. There were forms of voluntary slavery.

Didn't we go over this before?
Yeah we did, and as you recall they had a way to keep sons of slaves for ever (for ever meaning as long as they lived), not as Indentured slaves.

I never stated taht you knew everything about the bible, nor do I expect you to.


I was just trying to point out that you have made a false statement albeit from disinformation or "ignorance" ( stating ignorance as not knowing, no offending term intended), but still false.
Reply With Quote
  #868  
Old 01.09.2009, 15:42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
I was just trying to point out that you have made a false statement albeit from disinformation or "ignorance" ( stating ignorance as not knowing, no offending term intended), but still false.
Ah. Point taken I made a factual error. Thanks for pointing it out.

Now as for any other issues with any other post, do you spot any other factual or syllogistic errors?
Reply With Quote
  #869  
Old 01.09.2009, 17:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious Musings

Reading the posts here there and everywhere, I have just noticed a pattern...

When someone talks about ills of the world, death, destruction, disease they quickly jump on God's case and as to how can God let this happen.

But when they talk about good times and "Human development and progress" they quickly attribute it to Atheist Science...

Hmmm...
Reply With Quote
  #870  
Old 01.09.2009, 18:18
spacelab's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: new york city
Posts: 217
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 75 Posts
spacelab has slipped a little
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
Reading the posts here there and everywhere, I have just noticed a pattern...

When someone talks about ills of the world, death, destruction, disease they quickly jump on God's case and as to how can God let this happen.

But when they talk about good times and "Human development and progress" they quickly attribute it to Atheist Science...

Hmmm...
yeah, i'm curious how religious people explain disease. why did god give us so many horrid diseases? would any religious person care to explain this?
Reply With Quote
  #871  
Old 01.09.2009, 19:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
yeah, i'm curious how religious people explain disease. why did god give us so many horrid diseases? would any religious person care to explain this?

It comes from corruption of the flesh. Try reading the first few chapters of Genesis for explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #872  
Old 01.09.2009, 20:29
spacelab's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: new york city
Posts: 217
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 75 Posts
spacelab has slipped a little
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
It comes from corruption of the flesh. Try reading the first few chapters of Genesis for explanation.
do you mean the bit with the talking snake? evolution plainly shows that adam and eve never existed, so i can't really buy into that. besides, i thought god loves us .. i wonder then why he lets so many children die of agonizing diseases.
Reply With Quote
  #873  
Old 01.09.2009, 20:41
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
do you mean the bit with the talking snake? evolution plainly shows that adam and eve never existed, so i can't really buy into that. besides, i thought god loves us .. i wonder then why he lets so many children die of agonizing diseases.

As I said, this is explained in the first few chapters of Genesis.
Reply With Quote
  #874  
Old 01.09.2009, 21:03
D98 D98 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 53
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
D98 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Religious Musings

Evolution is ??

1. Al Murray
2. A boxing kangaroo
3. Toyota Prius

Reply With Quote
  #875  
Old 02.09.2009, 16:04
elgin_ed's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 68
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 61 Times in 33 Posts
elgin_ed has no particular reputation at present
Re: Religious Musings

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8227442.stm

we are all mutants !
Reply With Quote
  #876  
Old 02.09.2009, 16:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious Musings

Circular arguments. see Arguments, circular.
.

Arguments, circular: see Circular arguments.
.

Last edited by vwild1; 09.02.2010 at 20:18. Reason: Merging 2 successive posts into 1
Reply With Quote
  #877  
Old 02.09.2009, 16:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious Musings

I think on this thread, we established a couple of solid associations between belief and morality. I think we did accomplish something on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #878  
Old 10.09.2009, 13:30
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious Musings

Moved to other Thread.

Lets not derail the Thread on Christianity.

Fire at will...

Quote:
View Post
Apart from the giants, and the kinds of animals.

I don't know the Islamic creation myth, it's the same as christianity isn't?
No there are NO giants and any mention of weird kind of animals.

Similar to Christianity, but bit more descriptive.

Last edited by vwild1; 09.02.2010 at 20:18. Reason: Merging 3 successive posts into 1
Reply With Quote
  #879  
Old 09.02.2010, 15:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
Lets not derail the Thread on Christianity.

Fire at will...

Alright boys and girls... Bring it!
Reply With Quote
  #880  
Old 09.02.2010, 15:24
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious Musings

Quote:
View Post
Alright boys and girls... Bring it!
Thats the Spirit!!

Lets teach these Godless and Moral-less wretched beings a tough lesson!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
christianity, evil-ution, extremism, fundamentalist religion, islam, religion




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do non-religious people do on religious holidays? Bell Other/general 61 09.10.2009 19:37
Religious discrimination by SWISS. Canadian_dude Complaints corner 90 03.08.2009 14:46
Religious Sisters - Nuns - and the like ... Sada General off-topic 41 20.05.2009 20:03
EU expat contract + religious tax debydebo Finance/banking/taxation 4 30.01.2008 11:04
Football musings Lob General off-topic 41 08.05.2006 16:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0