Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2481  
Old 29.07.2010, 09:25
ric's Avatar
ric ric is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 571
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 150 Times in 93 Posts
ric is considered knowledgeableric is considered knowledgeableric is considered knowledgeable
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Looking at the prices, Sunrise looks like quite a good bet, plus I imagine their coverage is better than Orange.

However, my Orange contract runs out next week, and I haven't given them notice so I'd probably have to wait to change.

Plus carrying the number over to a new network seems like a hassle. Sunrise are talking about using a pre-pay SIM as a stop gap, but given the hassle of actually getting a handset in the first place, I don't trust them (or Orange) to get the switch right with multiple SIMs.

In addition there's no Visual Voicemail with Sunrise until November according to their site.

But they are a little cheaper and have EDGE..

Hmm....anyone have any experience of changing mobile providers in CH? I always assume tech companies will screw it up, as Orange and Cablecom customer service has been useless for me over the last few years. However I'm sure this isn't always the case.
I'm using the original Swisscom number I got when I arrived in CH on Sunrise, after having a 2 year contract with Orange in between. No problems wiht the changeover but I think you need to give them quite a lot of notice.
Reply With Quote
  #2482  
Old 29.07.2010, 09:56
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

We've been waiting for the iPhone 4 to come out and hoping to upgrade as our current 24 month contract was running out in July, unfortunately our contract has automatically renewed now - dos that mean to upgrade our phone on the same package we will have to pay a silly amount for the phones?
Reply With Quote
  #2483  
Old 29.07.2010, 10:02
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,322
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,644 Times in 5,021 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
We've been waiting for the iPhone 4 to come out and hoping to upgrade as our current 24 month contract was running out in July, unfortunately our contract has automatically renewed now - dos that mean to upgrade our phone on the same package we will have to pay a silly amount for the phones?
With Orange this is certainly the case, even if your contract rolls over you can still get a new phone at renewal prices.
Reply With Quote
  #2484  
Old 29.07.2010, 10:03
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
With Orange this is certainly the case, even if your contract rolls over you can still get a new phone at renewal prices.
So on Orange even if your contract has renewed they will upgrade the phone at a competitive price?
Reply With Quote
  #2485  
Old 29.07.2010, 10:20
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,322
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,644 Times in 5,021 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
So on Orange even if your contract has renewed they will upgrade the phone at a competitive price?
Yes indeedy, from what I understand you can get a new handset at the subsidised rate at any point after renewal, or if you choose to keep your old handset they offer a range of offers e.g. CHF 10 off your monthly bill, extra minutes/SMS etc.. So on one hand they're pretty sneaky for auto-renewing your contract, but on the other they are fair in ensuring you don't miss out.
Reply With Quote
  #2486  
Old 29.07.2010, 11:57
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Here's my quick calculation for all the available contracts in Switzerland offering 1gb data inclusive.

Cost per month, 32gb iPhone 4 cost, months in contract, total cost, cost divided by months in contract.

For Orange I have included the cost of buying an iPhone, e.g. from Apple, and having an Optima contract without handset (CHF10 discount).

Swisscom
55 x 24 + 299 = 1619 . . .CHF 67.46pm
29 x 24 + 899 = 1595 . . .CHF 66.46pm
Orange
39 x 24 = 429 1365 . . . CHF 56.88pm
69 x 25 = 179 1904 . . . CHF 76.16pm
Sunrise
60 x 12 + 549 = 1269 . . . CHF 105.75pm
60 x 24 + 299 = 1739 . . .CHF 72.46pm
125 x 12 + 449 = 1949 . . . CHF 162.42pm
125 x 24 + 199 = 3199 . . . CHF 133.29pm

So, Orange actually looks reasonable.

Obviously these figures are just the basic costs and don't include details about the benefits, e.g. differing call costs, included texts or the benefit of having a 12 month contract (i.e. the possibility of a new subsidised phone in twelve months).
Reply With Quote
  #2487  
Old 29.07.2010, 12:31
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

I tipped off The Register . . .

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...e_switzerland/
Reply With Quote
  #2488  
Old 29.07.2010, 13:17
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Yes indeedy, from what I understand you can get a new handset at the subsidised rate at any point after renewal, or if you choose to keep your old handset they offer a range of offers e.g. CHF 10 off your monthly bill, extra minutes/SMS etc.. So on one hand they're pretty sneaky for auto-renewing your contract, but on the other they are fair in ensuring you don't miss out.
But thats with Orange right? not swisscom? Hope Swisscom offer similar
Reply With Quote
  #2489  
Old 29.07.2010, 14:29
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

I amused to see a lone fanboi, starting a queue at 8.30 this morning, outside the Apple Store in Zürich. I hope he waterproofed the iPad he was jabbing.
Reply With Quote
  #2490  
Old 29.07.2010, 14:45
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
I amused to see a lone fanboi, starting a queue at 8.30 this morning, outside the Apple Store in Zürich. I hope he waterproofed the iPad he was jabbing.
Are they going to start selling them on the apple store online from tomorrow as well?
Reply With Quote
  #2491  
Old 29.07.2010, 15:02
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,733
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,936 Times in 891 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
I amused to see a lone fanboi, starting a queue at 8.30 this morning, outside the Apple Store in Zürich. I hope he waterproofed the iPad he was jabbing.
So my plan to rock up around 6am tomorrow morning may need a little revision you think?
Reply With Quote
  #2492  
Old 29.07.2010, 15:28
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
So my plan to rock up around 6am tomorrow morning may need a little revision you think?
The store normally only opens at 9.00 so it could be he was waiting for it to open today. Or he got the day wrong, in which case he was in for a shock
Reply With Quote
  #2493  
Old 29.07.2010, 15:32
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
The store normally only opens at 9.00 so it could be he was waiting for it to open today. Or he got the day wrong, in which case he was in for a shock
Can anyone tell us if anyone's joined him? I'll report on my way home . . .
Reply With Quote
  #2494  
Old 29.07.2010, 15:37
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Do you think there will be a stock shortage as per other iPhone releases? there didn't seem to be an issue with iPad stock when it finally came to switzerland - lets hope as we have waited so long there is plenty of stock to go around

Wondering if its worth even going into swisscom tomorrow to see about upgrading or waiting a few weeks until the hysteria dies down

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2495  
Old 29.07.2010, 15:41
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Do you think there will be a stock shortage as per other iPhone releases? there didn't seem to be an issue with iPad stock when it finally came to switzerland - lets hope as we have waited so long there is plenty of stock to go around

Wondering if its worth even going into swisscom tomorrow to see about upgrading or waiting a few weeks until the hysteria dies down

Any thoughts?
I haven't got any hard data to go on, but I'd be very surprised if demand didn't far outweigh supply, going by previous years.

Quote:
View Post
Can anyone tell us if anyone's joined him? I'll report on my way home . . .
Looks like you're right - http://www.macprime.ch/news/article/...arten-bereits/
Reply With Quote
  #2496  
Old 29.07.2010, 15:50
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,733
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,936 Times in 891 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Do you think there will be a stock shortage as per other iPhone releases? there didn't seem to be an issue with iPad stock when it finally came to switzerland - lets hope as we have waited so long there is plenty of stock to go around

Wondering if its worth even going into swisscom tomorrow to see about upgrading or waiting a few weeks until the hysteria dies down

Any thoughts?
According to people commenting on macprime.ch there will be enough stock for everyone who wants to have one, to have one within a couple of weeks. 32gb models will be harder to get hold of though.

Demand is notoriously hard to predict though.
Reply With Quote
  #2497  
Old 29.07.2010, 17:34
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
I haven't got any hard data to go on, but I'd be very surprised if demand didn't far outweigh supply, going by previous years.



Looks like you're right - http://www.macprime.ch/news/article/...arten-bereits/
For the launch day they're expected to have around 1000 phones and around 80000 pre-orders. Getting one tomorrow is going to be a chore and a tad idiotic. They're expected to get lots more in the next couple of weeks.

The best way to get one: order an unlocked phone online at apple.ch. It means waiting for 2-3 weeks but you'll get one with a much higher re-sale value. The locked ones sold by the providers will be worthless now that apple sells them unlocked for a low price.
Reply With Quote
  #2498  
Old 29.07.2010, 17:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Worm_Buffet has no particular reputation at present
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
For the launch day they're expected to have around 1000 phones and around 80000 pre-orders. Getting one tomorrow is going to be a chore and a tad idiotic. They're expected to get lots more in the next couple of weeks.
Where did you get these numbers? Who is taking pre-orders?
Reply With Quote
  #2499  
Old 29.07.2010, 17:45
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Where did you get these numbers? Who is taking pre-orders?
Pre-registrations, I meant. The number has been floating around macprime.ch for a while now. Here's some further info:

- at the apple stores they will only be doing Swisscom and Orange contracts tomorrow, no Sunrise
- Orange will only be selling phones at their Globus in-stores and only to women (no joke.)
- Mobilezone will only get Swisscom phones tomorrow
- Sunrise won't do any contract renewals tomorrow. Also, it's still unclear if they get any phones at all tomorrow. So far, they've only be talking about accepting orders from tomorrow on.

The number of phones available is insanely low. Much lower than last year. There'll also mainly be 16gb phones and hardly any 32gb.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #2500  
Old 29.07.2010, 17:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Worm_Buffet has no particular reputation at present
Re: The General iPhone Thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
The number of phones available is insanely low. Much lower than last year. There'll also mainly be 16gb phones and hardly any 32gb.
Not sure what to make of this rumour. If this is indeed the case, it must be because Apple thinks the 16gb version is vastly more popular?

It's not like flash memory is that difficult to find and Apple has a bigger margin on the 32gb models, so if they could sell more of those, they would.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
iphone, iphone alarm clock, iphone problem




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Hairdresser / Barber thread, Zurich region joshuakaufman Other/general 294 19.06.2016 19:54
General Cablecom Gripes thread.... mimi1981 Complaints corner 33 06.08.2010 15:23
Sutters' general; Grrrrrrr my <insert household appliance> is broken thread! Eire General off-topic 53 10.02.2009 10:56
General Cigarette Smoking complaint thread malmostoso Complaints corner 436 06.06.2008 14:26
Couldn't Start a Thread in General Chat Music Mole Forum support 1 01.12.2005 22:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0