Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1901  
Old 10.10.2009, 08:29
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Something for the motorcyclists out there
Looks like something Darth Vader would wear!
Reply With Quote
  #1902  
Old 12.10.2009, 13:05
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Just posted this on another thread, but thought it worth mentioning on here as well. This may be old news for many of you, but you never know.

For an upcoming trip to the States, I assumed I was going to have to keep my iPhone switched off for the whole time in order to avoid any roaming charges for outgoing calls, voicemail etc. Not a problem, but a pity that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of any free WiFi while I'm there.

Turns out you can have the best of both worlds - you can put the phone in Airplane mode in order to block all calls, but then go into Settings and re-enable WiFi (on OS 2.0 onwards). So you can continue to use email, browser etc in WiFi hotspots without having to worry about crazy roaming charges. Very handy!

Reply With Quote
  #1903  
Old 12.10.2009, 13:43
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Just posted this on another thread, but thought it worth mentioning on here as well. This may be old news for many of you, but you never know.

For an upcoming trip to the States, I assumed I was going to have to keep my iPhone switched off for the whole time in order to avoid any roaming charges for outgoing calls, voicemail etc. Not a problem, but a pity that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of any free WiFi while I'm there.

Turns out you can have the best of both worlds - you can put the phone in Airplane mode in order to block all calls, but then go into Settings and re-enable WiFi (on OS 2.0 onwards). So you can continue to use email, browser etc in WiFi hotspots without having to worry about crazy roaming charges. Very handy!

Yes, good isn't it....and even better if you use Skype as you are still able to make calls (free to another Skype user) !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #1904  
Old 12.10.2009, 16:24
29eleven's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zrich
Posts: 161
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
29eleven has no particular reputation at present
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
One should always have a positive outlook in life. Makes things more interesting.

From their website (TONIGHT):

http://www1.orange.ch/residential_pr..._10-years.html
That's great. However, no mention of it in the basket when I am checking out online.

Also, the Orange site shows a CHF10 deduction monthly for new accounts without a phone. This deduction is not shown in the basket when I am checking out (new optima Surf account without a phone) online either.

Anyone has had this experience?
Reply With Quote
  #1905  
Old 12.10.2009, 16:32
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
For an upcoming trip to the States, I assumed I was going to have to keep my iPhone switched off for the whole time in order to avoid any roaming charges for outgoing calls, voicemail etc. Not a problem, but a pity that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of any free WiFi while I'm there
Sorry mate, but I don't see the point of this? Turning off data roaming in settings will avoid any unexpected billing (which is what I always do), but why would you want to turn off the main radio since you only get charged if you physically make/receive calls. In addition you will be missing out on seeing your missed calls and receiving texts (all of which are free)
Reply With Quote
  #1906  
Old 12.10.2009, 16:34
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Sorry mate, but I don't see the point of this? Turning off data roaming in settings will avoid any unexpected billing (which is what I always do), but why would you want to turn off the main radio since you only get charged if you physically make/receive calls. In addition you will be missing out on seeing your missed calls and receiving texts (all of which are free)
yep data roaming and 3G off solves the problems perfectly
Reply With Quote
  #1907  
Old 12.10.2009, 22:04
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,383
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 4,649 Times in 2,350 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
yep data roaming and 3G off solves the problems perfectly

Nicky, you are not saying exactly the same thing as Castro. You are also turning off the 3G.

Castro, which do you do to avoid the roaming charges? Do you need to turn off the 3G?
Reply With Quote
  #1908  
Old 12.10.2009, 22:08
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Nicky, you are not saying exactly the same thing as Castro. You are also turning off the 3G.

Castro, which do you do to avoid the roaming charges? Do you need to turn off the 3G?
to avoid roaming charges basically you need to deactivate data roaming and 3G. This is what I have been doing on all my visits out of the country but I haven't been putting airplane mode on as there is no need as long as the other 2 things are deactivated, hope this makes sense?
Reply With Quote
  #1909  
Old 12.10.2009, 23:16
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

whether you select 2G or 3G, I don't think it makes any difference as long as you disable data roaming. Remember that the data roaming switch stops all data traffic when you are outside of Switzerland.

The real question is whether you can disable data when you are in Switzerland on your native network, because that can only be achieved by using a fake APN in your network settings. However the 2G/3G question is only relevant in so much as a 3G connection can suck up a lot more data in a much shorter time, when you switch to 2G its still a data connection but at GPRS/EDGE speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #1910  
Old 13.10.2009, 00:24
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
whether you select 2G or 3G, I don't think it makes any difference as long as you disable data roaming. Remember that the data roaming switch stops all data traffic when you are outside of Switzerland...
Good point guys, I hadn't thought that all the way through. What would happen to voicemails in that case (I have Visual Voicemail activated) - do they just stack and come through once you reactivate the data connection back in CH?
Reply With Quote
  #1911  
Old 13.10.2009, 12:01
itnas's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 36
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 7 Posts
itnas has no particular reputation at present
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Dear All;

I have run into a curious problem and I am looking for some help out here :-D

I have an iPhone 2G running 3.0. I bought this phone in the US nearly 2 years ago and has been unlocked (can use any mobile provider) and jailbroken (can use other applications than those from the Apple Application store). In Switzerland, I am a Swisscom customer on a (old) Liberty package (i.e. no data included).

As I am 90% of the time within a wireless spot (Wifi), I have decided not to use any data packages and have disabled internet access through GPRS and EDGE using BossPref (http://www.iphoneworld.ca/news/2008/...ps-boss-prefs/). I have tested it repeatedly so to make sure I could not access the internet when not connected to a Wifi. Notifications and Push Email are also turned off.

All of the above has worked perfectly for me until August, when I have received a bill from Swisscom with a charge of CHF93 for downloading data. After long conversations with their financial and technical departements and a number of visits to their shops, there seems to be no clear explanation on why appears to be data being downloaded from my account. Two hypothesis are:

- Those charges relate to Visual Voice Mail. With internet disabled, Visual Voice Mail still gets to my iPhone (I have disabled it now). Swisscom contradicted themselves about this, in the shop they told me that this was the source of the charges whereas their technical/financial department reassured me that Visual Voice Mail was free of charge (even for non data packages).
- There might be an application that can bypass the BossPrefs settings - I have retested ALL the applications I have installed in my iPhone and none of them were able to connect to the Internet or to function.

I would like to find out what is causing this but at the moment I am just a bit lost. Swisscom solution of adding a data package would prevent high charges for data but I will be paying for something that I don't want to use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Best regards,
Reply With Quote
  #1912  
Old 13.10.2009, 12:49
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
....there seems to be no clear explanation on why appears to be data being downloaded from my account. Two hypothesis are:

- Those charges relate to Visual Voice Mail. With internet disabled, Visual Voice Mail still gets to my iPhone (I have disabled it now). Swisscom contradicted themselves about this, in the shop they told me that this was the source of the charges whereas their technical/financial department reassured me that Visual Voice Mail was free of charge (even for non data packages).
...
I'm afraid I haven't got a specific answer to your question, but the extract of your post which I've quoted might be why all the comments on Apple sites that I've found say that using Airplane Mode + WiFi on is the only way to avoid roaming charges - i.e. even with data roaming and 3G off, voicemail will still come through.

If that's true, then that could also explain your situation.

Does anybody know for sure if Visual Voicemail, using downloaded data, still comes through when 3G and roaming are switched off?
Reply With Quote
  #1913  
Old 13.10.2009, 13:10
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Does anybody know for sure if Visual Voicemail, using downloaded data, still comes through when 3G and roaming are switched off?
Acording to this FAQ on the Canadian FIDO network website, the answer is yes i.e. disabling data roaming will also disable visual voicemail so you will not be charged.

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/faq/f...l_voicemail#q8
Reply With Quote
  #1914  
Old 13.10.2009, 15:31
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Good point guys, I hadn't thought that all the way through. What would happen to voicemails in that case (I have Visual Voicemail activated) - do they just stack and come through once you reactivate the data connection back in CH?
yupp - Visual Voicemail is transferred using your 3G or GPRS connection. If data roaming is disabled, the messages aren't delivered until you're back.

As for the WiFi thing: it still makes sense. Disabling data roaming + enabling WiFi will make sure you don't pay for 3G / GPRS roaming but will still let you use WiFi hotspots

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #1915  
Old 13.10.2009, 15:53
transition
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Dear All;

I have run into a curious problem and I am looking for some help out here :-D

I have an iPhone 2G running 3.0. I bought this phone in the US nearly 2 years ago and has been unlocked (can use any mobile provider) and jailbroken (can use other applications than those from the Apple Application store). In Switzerland, I am a Swisscom customer on a (old) Liberty package (i.e. no data included).

As I am 90% of the time within a wireless spot (Wifi), I have decided not to use any data packages and have disabled internet access through GPRS and EDGE using BossPref (http://www.iphoneworld.ca/news/2008/...ps-boss-prefs/). I have tested it repeatedly so to make sure I could not access the internet when not connected to a Wifi. Notifications and Push Email are also turned off.

All of the above has worked perfectly for me until August, when I have received a bill from Swisscom with a charge of CHF93 for downloading data. After long conversations with their financial and technical departements and a number of visits to their shops, there seems to be no clear explanation on why appears to be data being downloaded from my account. Two hypothesis are:

- Those charges relate to Visual Voice Mail. With internet disabled, Visual Voice Mail still gets to my iPhone (I have disabled it now). Swisscom contradicted themselves about this, in the shop they told me that this was the source of the charges whereas their technical/financial department reassured me that Visual Voice Mail was free of charge (even for non data packages).
- There might be an application that can bypass the BossPrefs settings - I have retested ALL the applications I have installed in my iPhone and none of them were able to connect to the Internet or to function.

I would like to find out what is causing this but at the moment I am just a bit lost. Swisscom solution of adding a data package would prevent high charges for data but I will be paying for something that I don't want to use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Best regards,
Are you sure it is not the apps that ask if you can agree to be located?
Reply With Quote
  #1916  
Old 13.10.2009, 16:16
itnas's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 36
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 7 Posts
itnas has no particular reputation at present
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Are you sure it is not the apps that ask if you can agree to be located?
Location services is also off!! And 9 MB of data for just being located is a bit too much although I will pass this one into the Swisscom techies...

I am running out of ideas and don't want to be charged so trying to get a deal with them to upgrade to a data package :-(

Cheers,
Reply With Quote
  #1917  
Old 13.10.2009, 16:17
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Dear All;

I have run into a curious problem and I am looking for some help out here :-D

I have an iPhone 2G running 3.0. I bought this phone in the US nearly 2 years ago and has been unlocked (can use any mobile provider) and jailbroken (can use other applications than those from the Apple Application store). In Switzerland, I am a Swisscom customer on a (old) Liberty package (i.e. no data included).

As I am 90% of the time within a wireless spot (Wifi), I have decided not to use any data packages and have disabled internet access through GPRS and EDGE using BossPref (http://www.iphoneworld.ca/news/2008/...ps-boss-prefs/). I have tested it repeatedly so to make sure I could not access the internet when not connected to a Wifi. Notifications and Push Email are also turned off.

All of the above has worked perfectly for me until August, when I have received a bill from Swisscom with a charge of CHF93 for downloading data. After long conversations with their financial and technical departements and a number of visits to their shops, there seems to be no clear explanation on why appears to be data being downloaded from my account. Two hypothesis are:

- Those charges relate to Visual Voice Mail. With internet disabled, Visual Voice Mail still gets to my iPhone (I have disabled it now). Swisscom contradicted themselves about this, in the shop they told me that this was the source of the charges whereas their technical/financial department reassured me that Visual Voice Mail was free of charge (even for non data packages).
- There might be an application that can bypass the BossPrefs settings - I have retested ALL the applications I have installed in my iPhone and none of them were able to connect to the Internet or to function.

I would like to find out what is causing this but at the moment I am just a bit lost. Swisscom solution of adding a data package would prevent high charges for data but I will be paying for something that I don't want to use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Best regards,

Why don't you just go to your settings and turn Data Roaming off?
Reply With Quote
  #1918  
Old 13.10.2009, 16:45
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,134 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
Location services is also off!! And 9 MB of data for just being located is a bit too much although I will pass this one into the Swisscom techies...

I am running out of ideas and don't want to be charged so trying to get a deal with them to upgrade to a data package :-(

Cheers,
If you navigate to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ you can find out how to disable data using a fake APN... that should kill it stone dead.
Reply With Quote
  #1919  
Old 15.10.2009, 14:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zrich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
eisa01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Quote:
View Post
That's great. However, no mention of it in the basket when I am checking out online.

Also, the Orange site shows a CHF10 deduction monthly for new accounts without a phone. This deduction is not shown in the basket when I am checking out (new optima Surf account without a phone) online either.

Anyone has had this experience?
Yeah, it didn't show for me either. But had to go to the store to set it up, and they confirmed it was right. My contract also states that it is 3 months minimum.
Reply With Quote
  #1920  
Old 21.10.2009, 15:16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 285
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 206 Times in 93 Posts
Sagar_KD has earned the respect of manySagar_KD has earned the respect of manySagar_KD has earned the respect of many
Re: The iPhone 3G thread and FAQ

Hello All,

I just got myself a shiny new black iphone 3g s (16 gb). The only impediment to using it is in transferring all my contacts from my old phone (SE K750i).

I have almost 300-350 contacts and as of now there seems to be no way I can transfer them without manually doing it (which kills all the appetite). I tried using Bluetooth, but the iphone couldnt pick up the SE and then again, you can only send 1 contact at a time, so thats slow.

I would appreciate if someone could offer guidance in this as the prospect of recreating all my contacts on the iphone is really giving me sleepless nights.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
iphone, iphone alarm clock, iphone problem




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Hairdresser / Barber thread, Zurich region joshuakaufman Other/general 294 19.06.2016 20:54
General Cablecom Gripes thread.... mimi1981 Complaints corner 33 06.08.2010 16:23
Sutters' general; Grrrrrrr my <insert household appliance> is broken thread! Eire General off-topic 53 10.02.2009 11:56
General Cigarette Smoking complaint thread malmostoso Complaints corner 436 06.06.2008 15:26
Couldn't Start a Thread in General Chat Music Mole Forum support 1 01.12.2005 23:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0