Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.10.2009, 14:49
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Welcome to the first EF photo contest, October 2009

Theme for this month: Stand-Alone Flower

With the Summer months behind us, surely you have several eye
catching photos of stand-alone flowers.

Here are the rules and conditions of the contest (please read).

Your submission should be a single flower, sharp in focus. Maybe you
wish to submit a macro photo. More than one flower in the photo is one
too many and will not qualify. Here an example:



Get your photos in to this e-mail by the 15th of October!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.10.2009, 16:49
Flashman4's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Haegendorf
Posts: 836
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 455 Times in 259 Posts
Flashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputationFlashman4 has an excellent reputation
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

So the pic MUST be sharp and in focus? Not dreamily unsharp and soft focus?
.
..
...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.10.2009, 16:50
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

The flower should be sharp enough to recognize
... rest (as in the example) makes no difference.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:03
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,330
Groaned at 571 Times in 447 Posts
Thanked 24,333 Times in 9,799 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

I must say, the subject matter is a bit c**p for the month of October.


It's hardly going to encourage people to go out and take photos for this competition as the subject matter will be a bit scarce.

What will you have for July, "Fresh snow?"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:07
J.L-P's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gocki
Posts: 2,741
Groaned at 53 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,044 Posts
J.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

^^^ What he said. Please rethink the theme, it's not the bloomin' season.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:27
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Thanks for your inputs... The theme for this month is set. The incoming
photos are great!

Stand-Alone Flower was decided upon for two reasons:
1. Late start in the month
2. No time limit when the photo was taken, thus giving all users a chance
to submit a photo taken during the blooming time of year. Keeping it
simple.

Theme for next month is already set, you will find out at the end of
October.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

I am a professional photographer and I welcome any photo competitions/appreciation forums. However I think this particular competition subject matter is a little off course for this time of year.

How about autumn images that sum up how beautiful this time of year can be. Maybe if you left the execution or style of shot upto the entrant and just focus on the what the picture says?

Still, anyone who promotes people to see, look closer and think has got my support.

Gary Brashier Photography

Last edited by Scott; 07.10.2009 at 10:34. Reason: Removed commercial link
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:34
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 16,330
Groaned at 571 Times in 447 Posts
Thanked 24,333 Times in 9,799 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your inputs... The theme for this month is set. The incoming
photos are great!

Stand-Alone Flower was decided upon for two reasons:
1. Late start in the month
2. No time limit when the photo was taken, thus giving all users a chance
to submit a photo taken during the blooming time of year. Keeping it
simple.

Theme for next month is already set, you will find out at the end of
October.
Will we have to second-guess that too by taking photos of everyone and anything now, just in case?

I hope the theme is not "Mother-in-laws in the nude" as I'm not sure I'll be able to get round to seeing her this year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:35
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your inputs... The theme for this month is set. The incoming
photos are great!

Stand-Alone Flower was decided upon for two reasons:
1. Late start in the month
2. No time limit when the photo was taken, thus giving all users a chance
to submit a photo taken during the blooming time of year. Keeping it
simple.

Theme for next month is already set, you will find out at the end of
October.
I can see actually the reason for the flower so it means people can enter photos already taken rather than going out to take current pictures of that season (maybe another seasonal photo contest could be added) - but all I want to know is, as I is a mod will I get preferential treatment for my beautiful flower pic that I entered?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:36
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Quote:
View Post
I am a professional photographer and I welcome any photo competitions/appreciation forums. However I think this particular competition subject matter is a little off course for this time of year.

How about autumn images that sum up how beautiful this time of year can be. Maybe if you left the execution or style of shot upto the entrant and just focus on the what the picture says?

Still, anyone who promotes people to see, look closer and think has got my support.

Gary Brashier Photography
Thanks for your input Gary

If you'd take a look at the reason above maybe you will understand.

Again, the theme for next month is fitting. Future photo-designs will
also be introduced into the competition.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:37
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Quote:
View Post
Will we have to second-guess that too by taking photos of everyone and anything now, just in case?

I hope the theme is not "Mother-in-laws in the nude" as I'm not sure I'll be able to get round to seeing her this year.

Sorry, no. But if you let me know when the appropriate time is, we can
add that to the list
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:39
Lynn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich Region
Posts: 1,071
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,296 Times in 465 Posts
Lynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond reputeLynn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Quote:
View Post
I can see actually the reason for the flower so it means people can enter photos already taken rather than going out to take current pictures of that season (maybe another seasonal photo contest could be added) - but all I want to know is, as I is a mod will I get preferential treatment for my beautiful flower pic that I entered?
But Nicky, my dear, why would you need it?? I'm sure your photo is exquisit! ;-)

Just a question, does it have to be a flowering flower or can it be any sort of stand-alone plant? Not many flowering flowers in my collection...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:40
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Quote:
View Post
I can see actually the reason for the flower so it means people can enter photos already taken rather than going out to take current pictures of that season (maybe another seasonal photo contest could be added) - but all I want to know is, as I is a mod will I get preferential treatment for my beautiful flower pic that I entered?
The competition is tough already Nicky... the numerous photos entered
are all beautiful.

Special treatment? Of course not
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.10.2009, 10:42
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Quote:
View Post
Just a question, does it have to be a flowering flower or can it be any sort of stand-alone plant? Not many flowering flowers in my collection...
Blooming flower, alone, indoors or outside. Let your imagination fly!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07.10.2009, 11:48
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,680
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009



Silly.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.10.2009, 12:16
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Yes, but still creative!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15.10.2009, 12:05
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Time is running out. You have till tonight, midnight, to submit any
photos for the October 2009 photo contest.

There are a number of photos to choose from, all of which are great!
The primary selection will be difficult.

The theme for November will be posted at the end of October, so keep
your eyes open

Till soon with the voting for Octobers top ten...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15.10.2009, 23:06
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Amazing, another several entries just since this afternoon!

Voting will start soon. You, the EFers will do the voting. Look for the
thread within the next few days. The selection will be difficult

Last reminder, send your stand alone flower before midnight tonight!
Less than two hours to go...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16.10.2009, 10:24
Scott's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buchs SG
Posts: 1,205
Groaned at 26 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 359 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1. EF Photo Contest - - October 2009

Voting for your favorite of the top ten here!

Remember to keep the photos anonymous. If the owner claims
fame to their flower, it will be removed.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EF Photo Contest - Rules & Conditions Scott General off-topic 44 07.10.2009 15:36
Malaysia in October 2009 philh General off-topic 22 21.09.2009 12:36
Provence (Thursday October 15 8am Monday October 19 2009) millane42 Commercial events 0 17.09.2009 12:19
The Italian Lakes - October 10-11 2009 millane42 Commercial events 0 16.09.2009 17:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0