Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #381  
Old 13.01.2010, 13:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 1,969
Groaned at 165 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 1,132 Times in 622 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
Yeah that is correct actually. There was a baby boom in 2009.
Seems like some ladies thought about it as a safety net, as it is not allowed to fire pregnant women. Yes, I'm serious, I know of some girls who got pregnant to keep their jobs...
If only I had know, I could have gone over to Iceland last year as a missionary
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 13.01.2010, 14:04
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,436
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
If only I had know, I could have gone over to Iceland last year as a missionary

You... owe me a keyboard and monitor!
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 08.02.2010, 14:32
resident
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
Don't think it's been posted yet, but here's one guy who used mathematics to explain why it's so hard to find a girlfriend:
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpps/news/dpg...100112_5537488
He nicked that idea. When he was a teenager, someone else had already reached the same conclusion:

http://en.nothingisreal.com/wiki/Why...e_a_Girlfriend

The depressing thing is, even if you start lower down in the chain (ignoring, for example, the number of people in the world.), you still end up with the same odds.
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 08.02.2010, 14:46
Begga's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel [Quality not Quantity]
Posts: 2,288
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,067 Posts
Begga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
He nicked that idea. When he was a teenager, someone else had already reached the same conclusion:

http://en.nothingisreal.com/wiki/Why...e_a_Girlfriend

The depressing thing is, even if you start lower down in the chain (ignoring, for example, the number of people in the world.), you still end up with the same odds.
Right, so we have approximately 302,800,500 males hunting these 18,726 females.
Yeah, that explains a lot. I understand the world much better now.
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 08.02.2010, 15:02
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Ok, whos having dating problems? What are we going to do about it?

Too much politics and history is doing my head in... need some cheap thrills now
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 08.02.2010, 15:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,391
Groaned at 916 Times in 650 Posts
Thanked 17,095 Times in 6,711 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Considering Zurich has an abnormally high amount of stunning-looking women, many of whom speak English... it shouldn't be that hard to find a date here... surely? I'm not talking about 1-a-week or anything silly like that... but at least once every couple/few months?

I can't help but think that statistically, the chances of getting a good-looking girlfriend must be as good here as anywhere, language barriers notwithstanding. I wonder how many people complaining of never having had a date here have regularly hit on Swiss women with a vengeance, or if they stick to the ex-pat community and then have the odd "flutter" on a Swiss girl, and when unsuccessful think "Hmph, they must all be like that" and voila, an entire nation is labelled.
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 08.02.2010, 15:17
gypsyspears's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 99
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
gypsyspears has made some interesting contributions
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
Is there any hope for a person in this country who doesn't give a rip about snow sports?

I'm going to make my stand right now: I'm 36, single, and I am thoroughly ambivalent toward skiing and snowboarding. There, I said it.

Will la police des étrangers take away my residence permit for that?
Hey man...I have been forced to learn how to ski from social pressure. I dont mind it but im not crazy for it. We should meet up (esp as I live in Morges)
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 08.02.2010, 15:25
Begga's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel [Quality not Quantity]
Posts: 2,288
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,067 Posts
Begga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
Is there any hope for a person in this country who doesn't give a rip about snow sports?
Quote:
Hey man...I have been forced to learn how to ski from social pressure. I dont mind it but im not crazy for it. We should meet up (esp as I live in Morges)
Pahh...
I don't touch skis, and it doesn't seam that it matters to guys who have shown me some interest. Doesn't matter at all.
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 08.02.2010, 15:28
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 665
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 145 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

I'll learn eventually, but for now the spine as been more useful than the skiing skills.
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 08.02.2010, 15:45
gypsyspears's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 99
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
gypsyspears has made some interesting contributions
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
I'll learn eventually, but for now the spine as been more useful than the skiing skills.
Reply With Quote
  #391  
Old 08.02.2010, 15:50
Fio Fio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Fio has earned some respectFio has earned some respect
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
Hmm. Do any of them want to learn how to roll a kayak?
;-)
Oh well...if you don`t get a sporty girl with that one... obviously its not just the girls who are having dating problems
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old 08.02.2010, 15:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,391
Groaned at 916 Times in 650 Posts
Thanked 17,095 Times in 6,711 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
Pahh...
I don't touch skis, and it doesn't seam that it matters to guys who have shown me some interest. Doesn't matter at all.
When you say you don't touch skis... does that include the poles too?










Ok i'm sorry, i'm sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old 08.02.2010, 17:28
resident
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
Right, so we have approximately 302,800,500 males hunting these 18,726 females.
Yeah, that explains a lot. I understand the world much better now.
No, it means that one person in 3493 fits all the criteria as a partner (and the list is fairly reasonable).

So no matter how big a pool of potential partners you start off with, if you date one person a week, it could take you 67 years to find the right partner.

And if the pool is smaller than 3493 persons, then the chances increase that a suitable partner may not even exist.

EDIT: His sample is in the 17-21 year old range. As you go up in the age range, the number of committed persons goes up way higher than his 50% estimate. Factor in the "set in your ways" argument, and additional filtering criteria must be added.

Last edited by resident; 08.02.2010 at 17:59.
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old 08.02.2010, 21:33
cricketer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: near zurich
Posts: 1,197
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,051 Times in 427 Posts
cricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond reputecricketer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

richdog - are you getting some? you seem to be spending too much time here commenting.



Quote:
View Post
When you say you don't touch skis... does that include the poles too?










Ok i'm sorry, i'm sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old 08.02.2010, 22:47
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,760
Groaned at 270 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 16,793 Times in 7,120 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
No, it means that one person in 3493 fits all the criteria as a partner (and the list is fairly reasonable).

So no matter how big a pool of potential partners you start off with, if you date one person a week, it could take you 67 years to find the right partner.

And if the pool is smaller than 3493 persons, then the chances increase that a suitable partner may not even exist.

EDIT: His sample is in the 17-21 year old range. As you go up in the age range, the number of committed persons goes up way higher than his 50% estimate. Factor in the "set in your ways" argument, and additional filtering criteria must be added.
isn't his logic flawed? if there are around 240k women who are beautiful and single and there is a 7% chance that any one from this 240k will be both intelligent enough for him and like him back, then after dating 1 from this pool he will have 93% chance of failure.

after dating 2, 86% chance of failure (or 14% chance of success)
after 10 dates, 48% chance of failure (or 52% chance of success)
after 20 dates, 23% chance of failure (or 77% chance of success)
after 30 dates, 11% chance of failure (or 89% chance of success)
after 40 dates, 5% chance of failure (or 95% chance of success)

so would take 2.5 months of dating to get better than 50% chance of success. if you had 3 dates a week, you'd be at 50% after 3 weeks of dating.

calling MathNut to verify.
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old 08.02.2010, 23:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,391
Groaned at 916 Times in 650 Posts
Thanked 17,095 Times in 6,711 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
richdog - are you getting some? you seem to be spending too much time here commenting.
I do alright for myself.
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old 08.02.2010, 23:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
I do alright for myself.
Soggy biscuits all round! Huzzah!
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old 08.02.2010, 23:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,391
Groaned at 916 Times in 650 Posts
Thanked 17,095 Times in 6,711 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
Soggy biscuits all round! Huzzah!
I'm sure that's the third reference to soggy biccies from you i've seen. Something you want to share?





Preferably a moist ginger nut.
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old 08.02.2010, 23:16
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,760
Groaned at 270 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 16,793 Times in 7,120 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
I'm sure that's the third reference to soggy biccies from you i've seen. Something you want to share?





Preferably a moist ginger nut.
it's a euphemism for a gay sexual act.
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old 09.02.2010, 07:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,391
Groaned at 916 Times in 650 Posts
Thanked 17,095 Times in 6,711 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why is it so hard to find a date in Zurich?! (hope my friends wont kill me)

Quote:
View Post
it's a euphemism for a gay sexual act.
Thanks for the explanation Phil, I never would have guessed...

(hence the white text)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dating, love, parship, singles, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding Birthday and greeting cards hard to find? Sutter General off-topic 3 11.05.2013 12:32
want to find new friends Anna Marie Matthey Introductions 11 28.06.2011 14:51
Swiss Chocolate, I don't understand it? its so hard to find. Javo Complaints corner 104 09.12.2009 12:13
I need to find some Friends! GerryB Introductions 0 18.04.2007 13:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0