Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
View Poll Results: Do you have a PS3 and if so.....
Yes I have one, it's excellent 155 42.70%
Yes I have one but I'm disappointed 16 4.41%
No, they're too expensive right now 90 24.79%
No, I would not consider one 102 28.10%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1421  
Old 23.02.2011, 15:17
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Blog Entries: 3
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Hi Swiss Cheddar,

I have had this problem also and been able to get around it.

I have a user ID that is US based, and an ID that is Swiss based.

If you create a User ID that is UK based the code should work.

I bought NHL here and when I entered the code under my us based account it did not work. So I created an ID with my location as Switzerland and input the code while logged in with that ID and it worked.

It also then works for all IDs on the PS3 so after your one time activation with the UK ID you can play with your regular ID and it will work online.

Yes EA sports is a pain with these codes and region locking. Since the games on PS3 are all region free, the codes should be as well....
Actually this is not entirely true about PS3 being region free. Games are sold in different regions under region codes. Whilst you can play all regions on your PS3, This can cause complications when interacting with the online store for example downloading add-ons or passes. I recently bought a borderlands copy which was entitled 'USK' in other words it was German, not swiss version due to censorship rules in different countries. So when I took the add-on it did not work. I had to source a 'PEGI' version. So not only are there region differences there are also censorship differences which can affect what you download and play on the version you have in some cases.

The bottom line is, if you know you are going to get add-ons from the online store, or passes, make sure you get the right region and also the right censorship vrsion just in case, a it can save hassles later on.

I agree the codes should work on all region discs, as should all add ons, but sometimes the software companies do not do this so best to buy right in advance so you do not have to worry.

Also, i am not sure why people do not by games in Switzerland, when they are loaded on my PS3 they are all in English, even if the instruction book is not. Who needs the instruction book in most cases anyway? Most games are self explanatory and if not can get hints online. I am just not sure why there is a need to buy from the UK and wait ages for a new game, unless you are getting a big discount.
Reply With Quote
  #1422  
Old 23.02.2011, 15:26
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,473 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Also, i am not sure why people do not by games in Switzerland, when they are loaded on my PS3 they are all in English, even if the instruction book is not. Who needs the instruction book in most cases anyway? Most games are self explanatory and if not can get hints online. I am just not sure why there is a need to buy from the UK and wait ages for a new game, unless you are getting a big discount.
Some games do not carry all languages, I think it's EA that only supply the local languages (Everyone else can manage it but EA seem to think it too much).

Also, the games are cheaper to import, and are not subject to the censorship laws of Germany/Switzerland (although I think Swiss games just get german censorship because of the market area)
Reply With Quote
  #1423  
Old 23.02.2011, 15:30
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,032
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,776 Posts
Blog Entries: 19
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Some games do not carry all languages, I think it's EA that only supply the local languages (Everyone else can manage it but EA seem to think it too much).

Also, the games are cheaper to import, and are not subject to the censorship laws of Germany/Switzerland (although I think Swiss games just get german censorship because of the market area)
word.
Dead Space is in English. ..Marston doesnt smoke in the local version of RDR.
Reply With Quote
  #1424  
Old 23.02.2011, 17:10
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Blog Entries: 3
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Some games do not carry all languages, I think it's EA that only supply the local languages (Everyone else can manage it but EA seem to think it too much).

Also, the games are cheaper to import, and are not subject to the censorship laws of Germany/Switzerland (although I think Swiss games just get german censorship because of the market area)
All games I have bought in Switzerland including EA games play in English. I have about 15 - 20 titles from multiple suppliers.

Gamestop does 'occasion' copies which are pretty damn cheap, and you can get them on the day you want them.

Swiss censhorship is different to Germany. Germany is stricter (USK). Swiss is not strict (PEGI). be sure to buy PEGI if possible as the game is generally not censored, just ranked. Unfortunately USK is also sold in Switzerland inadvertently, so one needs to be sure getting the Swiss version.
Reply With Quote
  #1425  
Old 23.02.2011, 17:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
I am just not sure why there is a need to buy from the UK and wait ages for a new game, unless you are getting a big discount.
You do get a big discount. Ordering from the UK, games cost on average half of what they do in Switzerland. Swiss (and most mainland Europe, for that matter) gamers get ripped off so badly on game prices that it's not even funny. I don't know how they stand for it, to be honest.

I ordered Killzone 3 new from the UK for the equivalent of 47-48 CHF. The cheapest it's going for in Switzerland is 30 francs more: http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_118903.html , and that's the UK version.

I'm not too worried about DLC because it is, in 99% of cases, useless and a rip-off. Region-coded online play, like EA did with the golf game, is slightly more worrying, but there are ways around it.

And as others have mentioned, you're sure to get it in English. PS3 games are most of the time anyway, but every once in a while you'll get a nasty surprise. Ask people who bought Fallout or Call of Duty games.
Reply With Quote
  #1426  
Old 23.02.2011, 17:16
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,473 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
All games I have bought in Switzerland including EA games play in English. I have about 15 - 20 titles from multiple suppliers.
I can promise you it's entirely possible to buy games here with no english option, I have some, mostly EA from what I remember, including Burnout and Medal of Honour, I've since stopped buying them here. I was browsing a few games the other day, and some still do not have English listed as a language.
Reply With Quote
  #1427  
Old 23.02.2011, 17:17
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,032
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,776 Posts
Blog Entries: 19
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
I can promise you it's entirely possible to buy games here with no english option, I have some, mostly EA from what I remember, including Burnout and Medal of Honour, I've since stopped buying them here. I was browsing a few games the other day, and some still do not have English listed as a language.

Call Of Duty
Dead Space.


From personal XP.
Reply With Quote
  #1428  
Old 24.02.2011, 02:19
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Blog Entries: 3
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Fair enough, guess Ive been lucky. Anyway gamestop offers titles fairly recent for 30 - 50 CHF. I tend not to go for the latest titles. Bought a game there the other day for 5 CHF, OK game as well.
Reply With Quote
  #1429  
Old 25.02.2011, 15:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
thiagogita has no particular reputation at present
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
I can promise you it's entirely possible to buy games here with no english option, I have some, mostly EA from what I remember, including Burnout and Medal of Honour, I've since stopped buying them here. I was browsing a few games the other day, and some still do not have English listed as a language.
Mostly of my EA swiss games have only German, French and italian and you cant chose those languages (its set by the Dash language).
Burnout, Burnout paradise, Medal of honor, CODs etc etc. A few games are in english like Dragon age, Dead space.
Reply With Quote
  #1430  
Old 25.02.2011, 15:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
thiagogita has no particular reputation at present
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

btw
Anyone here playing Marvel Vs Capcom 3? Or yall are just about FPS? hehehehe.
ID: Karamutengo
Reply With Quote
  #1431  
Old 06.03.2011, 03:42
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,032
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,776 Posts
Blog Entries: 19
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

WARNING!
BLACK OPS DLC From CH will not work with US DISC!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #1432  
Old 06.03.2011, 11:23
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Blog Entries: 3
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
WARNING!
BLACK OPS DLC From CH will not work with US DISC!!!!
This is common and a reason why it is best (if possible) to buy EU Region Disc and preferably CH disc (PEGA rating) when wanting to get DLCs from the playstation store.
Reply With Quote
  #1433  
Old 07.03.2011, 14:01
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 604 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
WARNING!
BLACK OPS DLC From CH will not work with US DISC!!!!
Go into the store, search for your DLC (via search tool), then check the serial number on the back of the DVD cover. Compare the numbers from the DVD cover with the choice of DLCs, then (and only then) start the download...

Should save you a few bucks...

Last edited by herc82; 07.03.2011 at 14:25.
Reply With Quote
  #1434  
Old 07.03.2011, 14:30
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,032
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,776 Posts
Blog Entries: 19
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Go into the store, search for your DLC (via search tool), then check the serial number on the back of the DVD cover. Compare the numbers from the DVD cover with the choice of DLCs, then (and only then) start the download...

Should save you a few bucks...

Too late for that :P. I already have the UK packs, so now I need to find the US ones.
Reply With Quote
  #1435  
Old 07.03.2011, 14:32
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 604 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Too late for that :P. I already have the UK packs, so now I need to find the US ones.
Yeah I know, got two DLCs sitting idle because I don't have the correct version, but I learned early on. Just want to stress that you need to use the search function in the store and then find the corresponding DLC, otherwise I believe it only shows you the local versions (then again, I could be wrong).

Better luck next time!
Reply With Quote
  #1436  
Old 07.03.2011, 14:32
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,032
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,776 Posts
Blog Entries: 19
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Yeah I know, got two DLCs sitting idle because I don't have the correct version, but I learned early on. Just want to stress that you need to use the search function in the store and then find the corresponding DLC, otherwise I believe it only shows you the local versions (then again, I could be wrong).

Better luck next time!
Well , I guess it beats buying a european disc . Txs
Reply With Quote
  #1437  
Old 08.03.2011, 11:00
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 604 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Well , I guess it beats buying a european disc . Txs
Noticed something yesterday. Go back into your download log/history and check what you find there..! Once you have bought one version, you have all versions at your fingertip, you only need to select the correct one, do the download all over again and voilą, you should be ready to rock!
Reply With Quote
  #1438  
Old 08.03.2011, 11:10
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,032
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,776 Posts
Blog Entries: 19
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
Noticed something yesterday. Go back into your download log/history and check what you find there..! Once you have bought one version, you have all versions at your fingertip, you only need to select the correct one, do the download all over again and voilą, you should be ready to rock!

The disc code for US is not there, I did the WHOLE download for the EUROPEAN ones, this seems like a douchebag move from treyarch
Reply With Quote
  #1439  
Old 08.03.2011, 11:13
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,624
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 604 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Quote:
View Post
The disc code for US is not there, I did the WHOLE download for the EUROPEAN ones, this seems like a douchebag move from treyarch
Ouch, that would suck indeed...
Reply With Quote
  #1440  
Old 17.03.2011, 15:22
Swiss Cheddar's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,100
Groaned at 45 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,931 Times in 1,202 Posts
Swiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Cheddar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [General discussion of] PS3

Putting movies on my PS3???????????:

My ps3 has a 250gb harddrive, of which i use bugger all.

So i was thinking about putting some of my favourite movies onto it.


I have over 400 DVD's, about 50 Blue Ray's, and various TV shows on my mac. I know i wont fit them all on but mainly its the tv shows i bought on itunes (24, Entourage, Lost, The Event) which take up so much space.

I presume the best meathod for the dvds would be some sort of file conversion programe on my mac then simple usb stick to get them onto my PS3. Easy.

But for my blue rays and tv's show i bought on itunes i have drawn a blank.


Any ideas??

cheers
SC
__________________
Click here if you live in Zug and want to play Rugby.

I'm Batman.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
playstation, playstation3, ps3, video games




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving to/from UK: Routes, advice, discussion swissotter Transportation/driving 222 17.10.2017 18:20
Winter tyres - regulations and discussion HAT Transportation/driving 325 28.11.2014 12:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0