Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
View Poll Results: Do you have a PS3 and if so.....
Yes I have one, it's excellent 155 42.70%
Yes I have one but I'm disappointed 16 4.41%
No, they're too expensive right now 90 24.79%
No, I would not consider one 102 28.10%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.05.2007, 17:59
larrylizzard's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 582
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 191 Times in 119 Posts
larrylizzard has earned some respectlarrylizzard has earned some respect
[General discussion of] PS3

So I wanted to see if anyone else has bought a PS3, what you think? what games do you have etc?

who's playing online?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.05.2007, 18:06
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,473 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
So I wanted to see if anyone else has bought a PS3, what you think? what games do you have etc?

who's playing online?
Yep, as soon as they came out. Suprisingly easy, I was expecting them to be sold out in minutes as in the UK. Very happy with my purchase.

Resistance is taking up most of my time, both online (excellent IMHO, but I never realy played online before), and playing through the levels over and over. Also have Tony Hawks which I pick up now and again.

Got the Casino Royale blu-ray giveaway too, looks great.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.05.2007, 18:15
larrylizzard's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 582
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 191 Times in 119 Posts
larrylizzard has earned some respectlarrylizzard has earned some respect
Re: Ps3

Yeah Resistance is a good game, great online and like you never really played online before.

I have also Tony hawk, some nice new things done but nothing out of this world.

Im spending all my time playing a new game Oblivion, its amazing. Its a role play game which seems to take hours and you can roam around as your want in a kind of GTA fashion.

I also got the pilot game WWII cant remember the full name. Its good fun to play with the sixaxes thing but wouldnt recommend it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.05.2007, 18:25
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,473 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
Yeah Resistance is a good game, great online and like you never really played online before.

I have also Tony hawk, some nice new things done but nothing out of this world.

Im spending all my time playing a new game Oblivion, its amazing. Its a role play game which seems to take hours and you can roam around as your want in a kind of GTA fashion.

I also got the pilot game WWII cant remember the full name. Its good fun to play with the sixaxes thing but wouldnt recommend it.
I also hear good things about Oblivion, holding off buying it for now though. 1. need to finish old games, 2. need to get out more and enjoy the sun.

I start playing these games on a hangover, and end up wasting the day
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.05.2007, 18:34
Cata1yst
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ps3

Very pleased with my PS3. Make sure you d/l gt hd, it took me a hour to pick my jaw up off the floor.

I've got Oblivion amazing game, sucking my time too at the moment.

Also got RFOM - too short finished it in a day and half. On-line I challenge you to last a minute haha. I struggled, too easy to snipe.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Motorstorm (Just awesome, nearly finished it)
NHL 2K7
Virtua Fighter 5
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.05.2007, 18:37
Cata1yst
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ps3

Try 1.11 (my best) in the ferrari on gt hd, it'd damn impossible to get less. How do they get 107 lap times?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.05.2007, 18:56
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,101
Groaned at 71 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 2,230 Times in 696 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

We have a PS3 at work, I liked Resistance and Motorstorm, but Ridge Racer is pretty awful in my opinion. I'm a 360 guy myself, but I wanted to chime in say that I too think Oblivion is an awesome game, if you like the genre. It took me a bit to get into it, but now I play it all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.05.2007, 10:28
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,473 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
We have a PS3 at work, I liked Resistance and Motorstorm, but Ridge Racer is pretty awful in my opinion. I'm a 360 guy myself, but I wanted to chime in say that I too think Oblivion is an awesome game, if you like the genre. It took me a bit to get into it, but now I play it all the time.

Just what kind of job do you do that has a PS3 at work? sweet, I wouldn't get any work done.

I just don't get ridge racer either, I have no idea why it gets so much attention.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.05.2007, 10:53
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,053
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,171 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
So I wanted to see if anyone else has bought a PS3, what you think? what games do you have etc?

who's playing online?
Bought one a week or so after Microsoft p***ed me off by releasing the new Xbox 360 (the one with HDMI and a usable harddrive).
I love the thing - it's much much better than the Xbox. Not graphics-wise - but the integrated blu-ray player is awesome, the games aren't region-encoded (so you can buy new releases from dvdboxoffice.com) and above all: it's QUIET. Well, at least compared to the Xbox which was so loud that watching movies on it was impossible.

Anyway - I play Resistance: Fall of Man (very cool, but graphics could be better), Oblivion (been spending a heck of a lot of time on that one lately) and Ridge Racer. I have mixed feelings towards the latter, though - it's ONE TOUGH game to play. Took me hours to master the basics and some tracks I have to play 25 times to finally qualify / win once.

My favorite is Oblivion (get the US-version though - the one with German voices is awful). The game is MASSIVE. I had played it for around 20 hours on the Xbox 360 before I sold the console. I now started over on the PS3, did something differently in the beginning and the whole thing looks like a totally different game. Really awesome - but a real time-killer.

dawiz
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.05.2007, 11:09
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,473 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
Bought one a week or so after Microsoft p***ed me off by releasing the new Xbox 360 (the one with HDMI and a usable harddrive).
I love the thing - it's much much better than the Xbox. Not graphics-wise - but the integrated blu-ray player is awesome, the games aren't region-encoded (so you can buy new releases from dvdboxoffice.com) and above all: it's QUIET. Well, at least compared to the Xbox which was so loud that watching movies on it was impossible.

Anyway - I play Resistance: Fall of Man (very cool, but graphics could be better), Oblivion (been spending a heck of a lot of time on that one lately) and Ridge Racer. I have mixed feelings towards the latter, though - it's ONE TOUGH game to play. Took me hours to master the basics and some tracks I have to play 25 times to finally qualify / win once.

My favorite is Oblivion (get the US-version though - the one with German voices is awful). The game is MASSIVE. I had played it for around 20 hours on the Xbox 360 before I sold the console. I now started over on the PS3, did something differently in the beginning and the whole thing looks like a totally different game. Really awesome - but a real time-killer.

dawiz
I always had a sneaking suspicion MS going to do this, they have a nasty habit of forcing their customers down upgrade paths as often as possible. How long before an xbox game states the dreaded "minimun requirements".

Just to clarify, if I buy oblivion here, will it only be in german? Are there not multiple languages?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16.05.2007, 11:15
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,739
Groaned at 32 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quick question ...

Am looking at the PS3 (upgrading from slimline PS2), can anyone give me an idea regards backwards compatibility with PS2 games, have a large library of favourites that I wouldn't want to give up .Any enhancement in quality ? (maybe näive) ...

Thanks P
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.05.2007, 11:21
larrylizzard's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 582
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 191 Times in 119 Posts
larrylizzard has earned some respectlarrylizzard has earned some respect
Ok to answer your question Cyrus, I bought Oblivion here and have the English voices, it depends on what langauage you have your PS3 set up with. Only problem is the manual is in German, but hopefully you understand some German or can ask us for advice and help.

Polorise, as for PS2 games, you can play them, some are fine no problems and others are a bit jumpy. For example PES6 is jumpy and not really playable but Godofwar was fine.

Anyway once you play the PS3 there is no going back to PS2 its another world and class.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.05.2007, 11:25
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,739
Groaned at 32 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
Anyway once you play the PS3 there is no going back to PS2 its another world and class.
Thanks .... any poor suckers want to buy a slimline PS2 ?????
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.05.2007, 11:31
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,895
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,473 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
Ok to answer your question Cyrus, I bought Oblivion here and have the English voices, it depends on what langauage you have your PS3 set up with. Only problem is the manual is in German, but hopefully you understand some German or can ask us for advice and help.

Polorise, as for PS2 games, you can play them, some are fine no problems and others are a bit jumpy. For example PES6 is jumpy and not really playable but Godofwar was fine.

Anyway once you play the PS3 there is no going back to PS2 its another world and class.
Sony are planning on improving the backwards compatability over time through software updates... current supported games can be found here >

PLAYSTATION®3
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16.05.2007, 12:24
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,053
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,171 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
I always had a sneaking suspicion MS going to do this, they have a nasty habit of forcing their customers down upgrade paths as often as possible. How long before an xbox game states the dreaded "minimun requirements".

Just to clarify, if I buy oblivion here, will it only be in german? Are there not multiple languages?
yeah - the minimum requirement could soon be "HDMI" for some games and for all HD-DVD movies.

As for Oblivion: the Xbox 360 version I had bought in Switzerland was German-only. I'm not sure if the one for PS3 contains multiple languages. The game they sell on exlibris.ch is the "D" version - I suppose that stands for "deutsch".
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 16.05.2007, 13:10
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,593
Groaned at 40 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 1,596 Times in 820 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

i am a happy xbox 360 owner since the day it was launched here.

xbox live is a really great service for online play, easy matchmaking and so on. i dont think that sony has quite managed to pull it off yet with their online service. i also like the wireless headset, and the ability to download many arcade games with have been upgraded, like a new version of jet pac and street fighter. i also play poker on the 360 which is a good laugh.

on the downside, the 360 is definitely too loud, and the power brick is pretty ugly. the overall design of the console i dont mind, and the controllers are very nice. i wish that the 360 had HD DVD.

regards the playstation, i havent bought one because there are few games on it that currently interest me... i am amazed that although the console has been out for awhile in america, it still seems to lack a killer game. i have heard great things about oblivion on both 360 and ps3 but im not really into role playing games.

the ps3 is also a nicely designed console and its great how they managed to avoid a power brick, put in HDMI and blu ray, plus make it quiet!!

i think that if the online play or version of marketplace was better implemented, if it had a few great games... motorstorm, come on... its not that good is it... and it was a bit cheaper then i would probably pull the trigger just to get blu ray in my house. even GT HD. well, I have been playing project gotham on the xbox since launch, online in HD, and its simply a marvellous game, especially how all the interiors are accurately recreated. To me, GTHD just looks like a somewhat graphical update of the last games... of which i was a big fan. I have seen this before, i mean, there is little innovation here... anyone who can remember seeing Tekken in the arcade and being amazed at the graphics, and then who looks at Tekken 6. Yes, its much better, but some of the moves and animations from the original are still there after all this time. sloppy in my opinion.

now, anyone who knows me knows im not a microsoft fan in general... for example i use apple computers at home and dont mind taking an hour to explain why to anyone who asks (or sometimes even those who dont ask!!).

and anyone who knows me also knows that historically i am also a big sony fan.

but in this case, and after a lot of experience and research i gotta say, that as a games player im much happier being in the microsoft camp right now.

hehe cant wait for ace combat 6 either... now coming out for the 360 later this year... what a surprise.

but this could all change if metal gear solid or killzone turn out to be as good as they look. are those early videos of those games another case of taking the piss out of us consumers....????? my best guess... Killzone yes, MGS no. looking forward to find out.

krlock3
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16.05.2007, 13:26
Cata1yst
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ps3

I would make a suggestion though.

Do not buy a PS3 unless you have a HDTV that can support 1080p. There are a few 1080p games RR7 being one (which I thought was pretty but repeatative,) most are 720p at the moment.

Blue Ray disks have amazing clarity, IMHO. Have a few now, but too expensive at the moment.

I went past a shop the other day (amongst the majority which do not show the PS3 in HD) and saw NHL2k7 being demo'd it looked awful. I went home fired up the PS3 and I can see about a 20 fold increase in clarity along with the skate lines in the ice and all sorts. I use a optical link to a surround amp aswell as HDMI to my tv.

It's the Alpine backdrop on gthd that puts my jaw on the floor + the distance it extends too. You have little things like cracks on the edge of the road surface and plants moving in the breeze. Saying that the crowd are a bit "wooden." The physics and feel of the game are spot on, saying that I aint driven a ferrari 590 that often.

I had problems using PS2 san andreas, tends to lock up now and again, still playable though. Others have been fine. I'd keep your PS2 for what it's worth!

Anyone seen the GTA IV trailer...?

On PS3..... Reasonable start must do better!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16.05.2007, 13:32
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,816
Groaned at 49 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

I've dropped a poll on this. For the naysayers, I can say that if you want a BluRay DVD player today - this is an excellent option.

Being the owner of a Wii, PS2, xbox - I can say I don't play enough to warrant another machine. I can admit that I got an early PS2 at 699 francs though - never again!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16.05.2007, 13:33
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,053
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,171 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
i am a happy xbox 360 owner since the day it was launched here.

xbox live is a really great service for online play, easy matchmaking and so on. i dont think that sony has quite managed to pull it off yet with their online service.

Sony has been doing a great job improving the online experience. Their online system (which is free, btw., while Microsoft charges you for playing online) is absolutely comparable to Microsoft's. You can download game demos, can buy arcade games etc., just like on Microsoft Live. The selection isn't quite as big but it is rapidly expanding. I believe they recently announced that they'll be adding classic PS2 games to the online shop soon.
The one thing I'm missing with Sony's implementation is the point system Microsoft has in place.

dawiz
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16.05.2007, 13:36
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,053
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,171 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ps3

Quote:
View Post
I would make a suggestion though.

Do not buy a PS3 unless you have a HDTV that can support 1080p.
My TV only supports 1080i - but both games and movies look brilliant.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
playstation, playstation3, ps3, video games




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving to/from UK: Routes, advice, discussion swissotter Transportation/driving 222 17.10.2017 18:20
Winter tyres - regulations and discussion HAT Transportation/driving 325 28.11.2014 12:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0