Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 08.04.2010, 09:56
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Just a quick warning to anyone thinking of getting a grey import, a mate in the uk got his yesterday and can't download any apps for it, there is no ipad apps store on itunes uk yet and it wont let you buy from the us site (well it wont let him anyway) don't know if thats because he has a uk itunes account or it knows he is in the uk?

still he seems happy with it
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 08.04.2010, 10:01
Germel's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Germel has no particular reputation at present
Re: The Apple iPad

I want one. I own all Apple Mobile devices but im not quite satisfied with the iPad. I think i will wait for a year for other Generations to follow.

Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 08.04.2010, 10:05
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Just a quick warning to anyone thinking of getting a grey import, a mate in the uk got his yesterday and can't download any apps for it, there is no ipad apps store on itunes uk yet and it wont let you buy from the us site (well it wont let him anyway) don't know if thats because he has a uk itunes account or it knows he is in the uk?

still he seems happy with it
iTunes determines location based on where the card account or bank account you use is. I can happily use UK iTunes in Switzerland with my UK bank account.
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 08.04.2010, 10:08
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Just a quick warning to anyone thinking of getting a grey import, a mate in the uk got his yesterday and can't download any apps for it, there is no ipad apps store on itunes uk yet and it wont let you buy from the us site (well it wont let him anyway) don't know if thats because he has a uk itunes account or it knows he is in the uk?

still he seems happy with it
I think that's the sign of a true Apple fanboy.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 08.04.2010, 10:11
Jase's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zurich Area
Posts: 572
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 245 Times in 122 Posts
Jase has an excellent reputationJase has an excellent reputationJase has an excellent reputationJase has an excellent reputation
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
iTunes determines location based on where the card account or bank account you use is. I can happily use UK iTunes in Switzerland with my UK bank account.
or you can simply buy iTunes gift vouchers on ebay.com for the US iTunes store and redeem them using a valid US address - ANY valid US address

you'd be surprised just how many people in Europe have a "second residence" at 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino

and yeah it works - i've been doing it for 2 years as more apps, cheaper apps, cheaper music, more music, movie rentals, tv shows etc.
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 08.04.2010, 11:09
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 869
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 351 Times in 229 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Agree, but tell me what it does please. My friend who owns one by today hasn't been able to explain just that. "I don't need to bring my notebook to make notes, I can read ebooks, I can surf the web..."
I still fail to see what it really does to be honest.
It clearly does quite a lot. And it clearly (to me) has the potential to do things nothing else in a similar form factor can.

Don't you mean to ask "what it does that nothing else does, or does better"?

As I said earlier, many of the comments revolve around comparing it to things with physical keyboards. Why do people choose netbooks over notebooks over laptops over desktops? What are the differentiators? I think the list is a very mundane one. Yet the perceived utility in these differences seems to justify the existence of these different types of machine.

I don't see much diffference in those devices-with-keyboards, except battery life and system performance. Otherwise they can pretty much all do the same thing. I have no use for a phone except to make and receive calls and SMS. I regard cameras and colour screens as extra weight and drains on battery life.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 08.04.2010, 11:12
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

A lot of text BOB, but really, what does it do ? Like I said, the latest gen netbooks also have 7+ hours battery, are of roughly the same weight and size but half the price with much more performance and utility. From that perspective I don't (yet) understand why it should be such a hit apart from the hype. It's not that practical either as it really isn't small. It isn't completely flat either as it's slightly rounded in the back.
It's quite possible that I'll convert with later versions but I don't currently see its use.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 08.04.2010, 11:28
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 869
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 351 Times in 229 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
... From that perspective I don't (yet) understand why it should be such a hit apart from the hype. ...
Ah. At last you used "yet" .

I think it does a few nice things, but not enough to cough up CHF 800 for.

It's my guess it's that very large multi-touchpad that will prove most interesting.

I'd certainly be interested to hang a large multi-touch screen thing off the back of my iMac, provided software support was there.

Apple did the same trick moving multitouch onto their laptop trackpads and, lately - though not so well - onto their latest mouse. Can't get the hang of a three-fingered swipe. Nor remember what it's supposed to do.
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 08.04.2010, 11:42
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
It isn't completely flat either as it's slightly rounded in the back.
Why does this make any difference whatsoever?

To understand how a touch interface makes a difference, take a look at this Sketchbook Pro promo:


Last edited by vwild1; 14.04.2010 at 21:14. Reason: merged 2 successive posts into 1
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 08.04.2010, 11:45
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,898
Groaned at 37 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,491 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

It's attraction is in the user interface, maybe netbooks and the like can do more, but they can't do it as easily.
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 08.04.2010, 11:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,359
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 738 Times in 457 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
It's attraction is in the user interface, maybe netbooks and the like can do more, but they can't do it as easily.
That's how I see it. Before the iphone came out, phones could already do lots of stuff, like email, browse, but everyone used them for making calls and texting only. All the other functions (at least how I experienced it) were buried under complicated menus. When the iphone came out, I didn't think that there was anything new, but those things simply became more accessible.
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 08.04.2010, 12:31
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
That's how I see it. Before the iphone came out, phones could already do lots of stuff, like email, browse, but everyone used them for making calls and texting only. All the other functions (at least how I experienced it) were buried under complicated menus. When the iphone came out, I didn't think that there was anything new, but those things simply became more accessible.
But don't people use their computers for all the things that the ipad do already? It certainly won't make people want to watch movies since it only has a 4:3 screen! I think it will be an okay e-reader though and will kill the kindle even though the e-ink on the kindle is really nice

I don't hate the iPad. I just don't have any use for it. I'm not going to carry my smart phone, laptop AND an iPad with me. Even if I did, I'm not going to take my iPad out, browse the internet, read an ebook and THEN take my laptop out and type up a document.

I think it has its uses but just not for me I'm afraid
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 08.04.2010, 12:34
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Why does this make any difference whatsoever?
Because it looks rather flat but isn't so much when you put it on a table or in a file bag or similar. It's not remotely as flat as I expected it to be to be honest. And the screen was very reflecting too, so I wasn't really too jealous on my friend, just not as good as I expected it to be.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 08.04.2010, 12:35
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Even if I did, I'm not going to take my iPad out, browse the internet, read an ebook and THEN take my laptop out and type up a document.
I think the key to understanding the iPad for most people, is considering how many potential users have a need to extensively type . . . enough to warrant a full keyboard. I'm sure many netbook users just surf, watch movies and listen to music . . . and many people who haven't bought a mobile computer yet, don't need to type much either.
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 08.04.2010, 12:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,359
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 738 Times in 457 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
But don't people use their computers for all the things that the ipad do already? It certainly won't make people want to watch movies since it only has a 4:3 screen! I think it will be an okay e-reader though and will kill the kindle even though the e-ink on the kindle is really nice

I don't hate the iPad. I just don't have any use for it. I'm not going to carry my smart phone, laptop AND an iPad with me. Even if I did, I'm not going to take my iPad out, browse the internet, read an ebook and THEN take my laptop out and type up a document.

I think it has its uses but just not for me I'm afraid
Well, assuming that the touch keypad works ok, I would not bring my laptop anymore. In fact, right now I am fedup of carrying my laptop around just to browse on the net, reading documents and drafting simple meeting minutes (while travelling for work), etc. If I only use maybe 50% of what my laptop is capable of, so for me the questions is, what is the point of the laptop?
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 08.04.2010, 12:50
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,328
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,703 Times in 5,028 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

There are pleny of very portable, slim bluetooth keyboards which would work very well with the iPad. I've not researched it, but there must be a keyboard/portfolio wallet in the pipeline which effectively gives you a notebook PC.
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 08.04.2010, 12:52
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
I think the key to understanding the iPad for most people, is considering how many potential users have a need to extensively type . . . enough to warrant a full keyboard. I'm sure many netbook users just surf, watch movies and listen to music . . . and many people who haven't bought a mobile computer yet, don't need to type much either.
I guess it all depends on how much you type then I couldn't see myself typing a proper document or anything substantial on anything other than a laptop or desktop keyboard.

Quote:
View Post
Well, assuming that the touch keypad works ok, I would not bring my laptop anymore. In fact, right now I am fedup of carrying my laptop around just to browse on the net, reading documents and drafting simple meeting minutes (while travelling for work), etc. If I only use maybe 50% of what my laptop is capable of, so for me the questions is, what is the point of the laptop?
So the iPad is perfect for your uses. But it's not useful for others. I think there is a lot lacking in it for me to get one just now, which is exactly what I thought when the iPhone 2G came out. I said I'd never get an iPhone. I got one last October and sold it last week for an Android device. I really like the flexibility of Android which is why I'm waiting for the few rumoured Android tablet and a new revision of the iPad before making any decisions. But again, Apple are dictating what other companies are doing.

I think the iPad would be really good in hospitals though. Apple products have a reputation of working really well, albeit with a limited number of things, so reliability wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
View Post
There are pleny of very portable, slim bluetooth keyboards which would work very well with the iPad. I've not researched it, but there must be a keyboard/portfolio wallet in the pipeline which effectively gives you a notebook PC.
So you want two products to replace one

Last edited by vwild1; 14.04.2010 at 21:32. Reason: merged 2 successive posts into 1
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 08.04.2010, 22:49
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,328
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,703 Times in 5,028 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

It looks like magazines are making their way onto the iPad; this is actually quite interesting and might just make me consider an iPad if other publishers follow suit.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 08.04.2010, 23:32
Germel's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Germel has no particular reputation at present
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
A tablet is not such a new thing, or so revolutionary. The UMPC Portal website reports that there are currently 46 tablet devices on the market, and has a database that lists specs for all of them. Their summary of them is that they have "screen sizes of 4.8 to 10 inches. Prices range from $200 to over $1000 with processors based on RISC and X86, operating systems based on Windows and Linux and battery life ranging from 2-10 hours. Our favorite so far – The Viliv X70."



Many of these have features that the iPad doesn't - USB ports, full operating systems (e.g., Windows XP), etc.

In my opinion, the iPad is too big and too heavy. Something around 7" and under 500 grams would be better, and putting up with just 6 hours of battery life to achieve a lower weight would be fine.
Hi i really agree with your post. However that picture isnt that much correct. i mean i see a tablet with an OSX running on it which doesnt exist and a TomTom with a fully OS which there isnt.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 09.04.2010, 14:12
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 869
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 351 Times in 229 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
i mean i see a tablet with an OSX running on it which doesnt exist.
Not so. Or do I misunderstand something?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0