Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #821  
Old 27.08.2010, 14:03
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Ive never been into the Apple hype before. The only thing Apple that I own is one of the older Ipods. Although my boyfriend did buy me an Ipad knock-off in Hong Kong for the equivalent of 40 CHF :S
That's what I call love
Reply With Quote
  #822  
Old 27.08.2010, 14:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
That's what I call love
With three Louis Vuittons!
Reply With Quote
  #823  
Old 27.08.2010, 15:05
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

make sure the swiss police don't catch you! its illegal to own knock off's here
Reply With Quote
  #824  
Old 27.08.2010, 15:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Hi All,

Having a BIG problem with my iPad's email.

Whenever I go into my mail program, i keep getting the error message 'Cannot Get Mail' The connection to the server "imap.gmail.com" failed.

I have always had the same settings, and not done a sync or anything lately. When I click OK on the message, another one pops up to take its place, ad infinitum. I am connected to a Wi-fi source and everything else works. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
StirB
Reply With Quote
  #825  
Old 27.08.2010, 15:49
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
Hi All,

Having a BIG problem with my iPad's email.

Whenever I go into my mail program, i keep getting the error message 'Cannot Get Mail' The connection to the server "imap.gmail.com" failed.

I have always had the same settings, and not done a sync or anything lately. When I click OK on the message, another one pops up to take its place, ad infinitum. I am connected to a Wi-fi source and everything else works. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
StirB
can you connect from another email client? just to check if gamail has blocked other client software
Reply With Quote
  #826  
Old 27.08.2010, 15:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

New bunch of heavy users for the iPad, apparently...



...according to the FT, anyway
Reply With Quote
  #827  
Old 27.08.2010, 15:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
can you connect from another email client? just to check if gamail has blocked other client software
Yeah, works fine on my iPhone, just the iPad is going a bit mental.
Reply With Quote
  #828  
Old 28.08.2010, 12:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Slightly embarassingly (I work in IT) turning it off and on again solved the problem!
Reply With Quote
  #829  
Old 11.09.2010, 10:25
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zrich
Posts: 869
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 351 Times in 229 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Free iPad

Free iPad at digitec.ch

Appalled at the price of what looks like just a data plan, and limited to CH, I almost posted this "review" at digitec.ch, but I am not sure about what one can do with WiFi and 3G and soft phones) in other words, no need for a normal 'phone.

Any comments?

Quote:
Rating: 1 star

The same Apple iPad from apple.ch is CHF 799.00.

I can use it at home with WiFi.

The sunrise "T@KE AWAY max XL" is a 24 month deal at CHF 79 pro Monat. This means a total cost of CHF 1896. Deduct the CHF 799 and diveide by 24 months and it comes to CHF 45.71 per month just for unlimited 3G surfing (in Switzerland only).

You would still need to take your mobile with you.

No thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #830  
Old 11.09.2010, 12:50
jdat's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mulhouse, France
Posts: 277
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 131 Times in 80 Posts
jdat has earned the respect of manyjdat has earned the respect of manyjdat has earned the respect of many
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
Slightly embarassingly (I work in IT) turning it off and on again solved the problem!
Reply With Quote
  #831  
Old 15.09.2010, 15:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Luzern
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Coppa has no particular reputation at present
Re: The Apple iPad

A good solution for not having to fork out unnecessary extra cash on a 3G subscription for the iPad is to set your mobile as a wifi hot spot, and just leach the data of that. Cracking your iphone if necessary, or other phones such at HTC have it as a built in option.

Happy mobile surfing
Reply With Quote
  #832  
Old 22.09.2010, 13:01
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

right, I dislike apple and really can't see the point in the ipad, but I had a quick play with one at dataquest at lunchtime and god damn it now I own one.

so, all my music and video's are on NAS or my windows XP machine, can I attach the ipad to them and play directly from them?

what instant messenger clients are available? (msn or skype)

whats this I hear that the bluetooth only accepts the apple keyboard?

ta
Reply With Quote
  #833  
Old 22.09.2010, 13:28
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,325
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 5,025 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

The Telegraph have just released a free App for their Daily and Sunday newspapers (sponsored by Audi for the time being). This joins the excellent, interactive Times app released a couple of months ago.

My only complaint is, where the hell is the left wing press? (Guardian and Indy)
Reply With Quote
  #834  
Old 23.09.2010, 09:41
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

I wanted to dislike the ipad, I really did, but having used it all evening, wow, battery stayed at 100% even though I was browsing the web, downloading apps and playing movies for 5 hours.

web pages load in a an instant, unlike my wince based devices which take an age even with wifi.

For some reason it wont sync with my outlook, says it has but I can't see my contacts or diary on the ipad? any ideas??


headsup for people VLC has been released for the ipad, it plays divx, xvid (avi's) etc really really well, and best of all its FREE!

so recommend me some free apps
Reply With Quote
  #835  
Old 23.09.2010, 10:13
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,325
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,689 Times in 5,025 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
I wanted to dislike the ipad, I really did, but having used it all evening, wow, battery stayed at 100% even though I was browsing the web, downloading apps and playing movies for 5 hours.

web pages load in a an instant, unlike my wince based devices which take an age even with wifi.

For some reason it wont sync with my outlook, says it has but I can't see my contacts or diary on the ipad? any ideas??


headsup for people VLC has been released for the ipad, it plays divx, xvid (avi's) etc really really well, and best of all its FREE!

so recommend me some free apps
The iPad is a great device, its quite literally replaced my laptop which it was never meant to do. In terms of free Apps, just go to the App store and look at the Top 25 Free apps by popularity, but also look at the Paid section since many apps are in the magic $0.99 price point, and unlike the Free apps they're not ad-supported and tend to have regular updates.

Since I'm a news junkie my favs are The Times, Telegraph, BBC iPad edition, Reuters, France24 iPad edition and Zinio Magazine reader. There is also this App that Baselife recommended which pulls together a number of RSS feeds into a newspaper format... can't remember the name of it
Reply With Quote
  #836  
Old 23.09.2010, 10:15
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,040
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
I wanted to dislike the ipad, I really did, but having used it all evening, wow, battery stayed at 100% even though I was browsing the web, downloading apps and playing movies for 5 hours.

web pages load in a an instant, unlike my wince based devices which take an age even with wifi.

For some reason it wont sync with my outlook, says it has but I can't see my contacts or diary on the ipad? any ideas??


headsup for people VLC has been released for the ipad, it plays divx, xvid (avi's) etc really really well, and best of all its FREE!

so recommend me some free apps
MS Outlook won't sync with Apple software (yet). The default MS mail program for Macs is Entourage which is buggy at best, but if you wait a couple of months, MS Office 11 for Mac will see Outlook re-enter the Apple world. In the meantime, try: http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_...m/win_mac.html
Reply With Quote
  #837  
Old 23.09.2010, 10:15
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,210
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

my wife looks for a device to be used in the kitchen for looking-up recipes etc... Is the iPad kitchen-proof?
Reply With Quote
  #838  
Old 23.09.2010, 10:16
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
MS Outlook won't sync with Apple software (yet). The default MS mail program for Macs is Entourage which is buggy at best, but if you wait a couple of months, MS Office 11 for Mac will see Outlook re-enter the Apple world. In the meantime, try: http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_...m/win_mac.html

thats odd as it gives you the option in itunes, and also seems to do somthing when you click apply.
Reply With Quote
  #839  
Old 23.09.2010, 10:18
DFH DFH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 211
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 62 Times in 42 Posts
DFH has made some interesting contributions
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
my wife looks for a device to be used in the kitchen for looking-up recipes etc... Is the iPad kitchen-proof?
You'd still have to be careful with it. I use it for recipes in the kitchen from time to time. Usually on a table or counter a little bit away from me though.
Reply With Quote
  #840  
Old 23.09.2010, 10:19
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
my wife looks for a device to be used in the kitchen for looking-up recipes etc... Is the iPad kitchen-proof?

hmmm it looks fairly sealed, the headphone socket and the speaker gril are the only ways moisture would get into it, apart from that it seems fairly sturdy. A lot of money to lose if its not
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0